quick coupon question for the experts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i shop at a few grocery stores since they're all within a block of each other. one store in particular often marks down their near date items for a quick sale. i tend to use the self check at this store and hand my coupons off to the cashier. on occasion i find quick sale items i can pair up with my coupons. the cashier has to punch them in but has always taken them. yesterday i went through the regular check out line and was told i couldn't use my coupon on a quick sale item since it was clearance. can they do that? i wasn't about to argue over a $1 with my kids in tow but i'm pretty sure they still have to take the coupon. does anyone know anything about this?
#2 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM

I think they should still take the coupon. Sometimes they code clearance items differently, because the items are already removed from the store's inventory and they have usually added a different barcode sticker to them.

I would ask to speak to a manager if they say that again.
#3 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 PM

I would politely ask to speak to a supervisor next time that happens. We do this all the time (buy clearance/manager special items and pair them with coupons to get them free or close to it). I've never had any issues.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Stores have the right to refuse to take coupons. HOWEVER, I'll bet this cashier was mistaken. I'd speak to a supervisor and/or ask to see their coupon policy in writing.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#5 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
i shop at a few grocery stores since they're all within a block of each other. one store in particular often marks down their near date items for a quick sale. i tend to use the self check at this store and hand my coupons off to the cashier. on occasion i find quick sale items i can pair up with my coupons. the cashier has to punch them in but has always taken them. yesterday i went through the regular check out line and was told i couldn't use my coupon on a quick sale item since it was clearance. can they do that? i wasn't about to argue over a $1 with my kids in tow but i'm pretty sure they still have to take the coupon. does anyone know anything about this?
All the grocery stores in my area do take coupons on clearance items. The best way to find out is to contact the store through email and get a copy of their coupon policy as well as asking them specifically if they do that. Print it out and take it with you. You should do this with any stores you coupon at.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#6 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I've been able to use coupons on clearance items. I don't see why you couldn't b/c you are buying the product. It's not like you are using a coupon for a different product. The only time I could see a problem would be other value of the coupon exceeded the price of the item in clearance, but you didn't say that was an issue, just that you were using a coupon on a clearance item.
#7 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

i wasn't exceeding the cost of the item(s) with the coupon. next time i'm at that store i'll speak with a manager in person and see what they say. i found the policy online and it says nothing about not being able to use coupons on discounted items but does say "The store manager has the right to limit the Quantity of coupons/items used/purchased in a single transaction."

i've worked in retail and taken coupons. i've never turned away one for something like this. maybe i'll stick with the self check lanes from here on out.
#8 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 PM

One checker at my store used to do this, until a supervisor told her that since I was purchasing the product, it didn't matter if it's on clearance.

Many times it's because the barcodes won't match and they have to enter it manually.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Actually, for clearance items, they're better off to accept a coupon because they get the face value of the coupon plus the 8c per coupon, so it wasn't very smart to not accept it! I also frequently get overage with my coupons, just make sure you have other items to absorb that overage.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page