October 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Provacativa:

I have Reynauds too. I do have a wool blanket under my sheet. The room is really cold. Really cold. I'd be interested in trying lemon and orange peel. I'll research it.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#62 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Rose hips are the best source of vitamin C. 10 x the C of an orange. They sell it bulk in my HFS like the herbs, and so they consider it food, not supplement, so FS covers it. Tea, too. So, I add rose hips to my tea. HTH

TheSavedQuarter - Make MIL convert to term life! Seriously, if it's messing with your finances she needs to help on something so simple. And if your 401k is very tiny (couple hundred bucks or something) maybe cash it in? I did. I had maybe 2Gs. I had bills I had to pay anyway, and taking the tiny tax hit on such a tiny amount was negligible when taking into consideration that I could 1. pay the bills and 2. get the medicaid... No brainer.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#63 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM

My mother in law will not budge. It's her money that's maintaining it and she's the beneficiary, so she doesn't really get the problem. (She's also unwilling to put me on as beneficiary even though I'm his wife and mother of his children, and I'm the one who will struggle even more financially if he dies, but whatever.)

I am cashing out my 401(k). It's under $1500 so not a substantial amount, but it was nice to have. I contacted the company and it's in the works.

Does anyone know if student loans count as income?
#64 of 90 Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSavedQuarter View Post
My mother in law will not budge. It's her money that's maintaining it and she's the beneficiary, so she doesn't really get the problem. (She's also unwilling to put me on as beneficiary even though I'm his wife and mother of his children, and I'm the one who will struggle even more financially if he dies, but whatever.)

I am cashing out my 401(k). It's under $1500 so not a substantial amount, but it was nice to have. I contacted the company and it's in the works.

Does anyone know if student loans count as income?
Nope! You do not claim them as income, do not pay taxes on them, etc.

You could claim the interest you pay back on them as a deduction if you itemize, if I recall correctly. But I am 110% sure that it is not counted as income.
#65 of 90 Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSavedQuarter View Post
Does anyone know exactly what the penalties are on cashing out a 401K? I know it is bad but I think we may have to cash DH's in the next few months.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#66 of 90 Old 10-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Does anyone know exactly what the penalties are on cashing out a 401K? I know it is bad but I think we may have to cash DH's in the next few months.
It depends on who the company is (that is holding the money). Expect to pay around a 30-40% penalty, sometimes an additional 10% as well.

We withdrew DH's a few years ago for 15k. We paid around 5k in penalties.
#67 of 90 Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
It depends on who the company is (that is holding the money). Expect to pay around a 30-40% penalty, sometimes an additional 10% as well.

We withdrew DH's a few years ago for 15k. We paid around 5k in penalties.
Thanks! DH's is about 14k so that is very helpful to hear your experience.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#68 of 90 Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 PM

FYI, you are also able to take loans against your 401k for certain things. I don't know if it would count as an asset anymore if the value was all out in the form of a loan...? Just thought it might be something to look into. You can only take 50%, though, and I think it has to be a certain amount high before you can... Just a thought.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#69 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM

#70 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Ok ladies, if you haven't recently checked for cheaper car insurance online. Do it. Do it *NOW*! Seriously! Ours jumped up to ~$800 after buying the jeep for dh and getting rid of one of our other cars. I checked about online... and I just bought *MUCH BETTER!!* car insurance for $326!!! Thats nearly $500 I just saved!! INSANITY!! SO! Do it! Go check Geico and Progressive and All state! Just do it!!
#71 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Ok ladies, if you haven't recently checked for cheaper car insurance online. Do it. Do it *NOW*! Seriously! Ours jumped up to ~$800 after buying the jeep for dh and getting rid of one of our other cars. I checked about online... and I just bought *MUCH BETTER!!* car insurance for $326!!! Thats nearly $500 I just saved!! INSANITY!! SO! Do it! Go check Geico and Progressive and All state! Just do it!!
If they service the area you live in try Wawanesa too! They are always by far the lowest when I've searched.

#72 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM

I some how have missed this thread, but I'm jumping in now. I'm going to go back and read the whole thread

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#73 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
If they service the area you live in try Wawanesa too! They are always by far the lowest when I've searched.
I had Wawanesa until I was rear-ended in march and the customer service was TERRIBLE. I switched to State farm and actually saved money!

#74 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 PM

So I think our annual income is somewhere near 16K.

It boggles my mind...I mean we are a family of 5!!

also-does anyone else feel like the whole dave ramsey thing is not for low income peeps?

i cant even begin to figure out where we can save more(any)
money-we are as low/no spend as possible without me resorting to stealing toilet paper from the dr/'s office.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#75 of 90 Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post

also-does anyone else feel like the whole dave ramsey thing is not for low income peeps?

money-we are as low/no spend as possible without me resorting to stealing toilet paper from the dr/'s office.
It really isn't for low-income peeps - I tried it a few years back and it only made things worse.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#76 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I need a hug.
My new apt was approved and DS and I are moving the around 11/7/10 and we both are sooooo excited . I splurged a bit and ordered a new sofa.
I am currently looking for a full time job. Subbing just isnt going to cut it.
Right now our living situation is just so sad. The house is chaos, my roommate is just 'wierd' and the house is messy (to be nice). Im convinced the state of the house is what is making DS so sick.

However I refused to called 'the princess' and I will not take on the role of the maid and clean up after my roommate anymore. I will not take care of her dog and I will not tolerate her hissy fits over HER dog.

But now since I've decided to get an apt I need to find a job other than subbing to make sure my income is enough to cover rent, utilites, and other expenses.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#77 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 AM

Hello, I introduced myself months and months ago then stopped following this thread, but I have been feeling really lonely among all my "rich" friends and started reading along again this month.

We will hit $20,000 in income next month which is a huge first for us, last year we made $16,000. I don't even know how we did it, as our house payment is over $1,000 a month. Gotta love those miracles.

DH got a big raise in September and immediately stopped getting hours. We have to call into the unemployment office to file a claim and have yet been able to talk to a person despite calling in several times a day and waiting AGES on hold. We just had the yearly food stamps interview and we reported the raise as well as sent in paystubs showing his decreased hours but they called his employer who said he is full time so we got our food benefit decreased anyway. I already run out of food at the end of the month even before the decrease. Food allergies suck.

It's nice to have a place to talk about all this stuff. I can't very well celebrate our all time high of $20,000 a year with people who make 3 times (or more) that much.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#78 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post

I agree totally. It's hard to save money and pay off your debt when you are trying to figure out how you are even going to pay bills! I have cut out ALL unnecessary expenses except the internet (which is only $40 when bundled with our cable which is free). My husband works hard and he makes 90% of the money. That is his stress-reliever and he pays the bills, he wants to keep it. lol. I'd go a little crazy too, but he acts like he can't live without it.N But he does know that is the last bill to get paid and it gets cut off sometimes.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#79 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM

So my husband took a new job when his temporary assignment ended in September. He chose NOT to stay with the temp agency since this other job was supposed to start at 40 hours a week and move up to anywhere between 10 and 15 hour days starting in November and lasting through til New Year and then back down to 40.

He trained at one location and did get his 40 hours. But last paycheck he only got 40 hours for TWO weeks. That doesn't even cover rent! I am already in debt to my grandma for helping catch up with rent, and my sister for helping me with car repairs. I am supposed to pay both of them back with this paycheck and I don't know how to do that if I can't even pay my rent with it! I am asking community ministries for assistance, but they only give $40 and TRY to get more from local churches, but don't usually come through. And I understand that. Plus my new apartment complex does NOT do payment arrangements. If you don't pay by the 5th, you get a $30 late fee and $5 a day. On the 15th they sign papers to evict you.

I am babysitting for a friend, which is making me miserable, but I only get another $100 a week, which still won't save us.

I am hoping so badly for DH to get approved for disability and get a back pay check because that's the only way I see to save us right now. Or win the lottery. lol. But I think you have to play to win.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#80 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

DH had to pay about 1K this month to get his car running so he could go to and from work- public transit isn't an option. That left less than nothing for almost everything else. I'm looking forward to October being over!

I got the mail this morning to find that the kids' health insurance was being discontinued because they didn't get the paperwork that I did arrange to have faxed. Luckily, our caseworker is pretty great and we made it work. With the expenses we have for ongoing therapy for DS 1 that would have killed us. I'm waiting for the official 'this is fixed' letter before I celebrate, though.

It's getting cold here! I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon putting that lovely shrink-to- fit plastic over the windows. Not pretty, but it works well to help with the drafts in our pretty old and outdated house.

On a happier note, the local meat place is having a huge sale- so I ordered a half a pig (organic, even!) at 80 cents a pound. I won't have it until the middle of next month, but that is FABULOUS! If I qualify for SNAP benefits, i may switch that over to a whole pig. We'll see. It would be nice to stock the freezer. a bit before the holidays.
#81 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Just back from DS's follow up Dr appt. I broke down and took him to a non AHCCCS Dr. (we've been to this Dr before and she is great I just hate paying out of pocket, even with the discount). Anyway DS is still sick. Not overly ill but still fighting the effects of scarlet fever from earlier this month, peeling skin and just plain old tired. She has no idea why he keeps getting fevers and puking.
His Asthma is acting up again due to the change in seasons.

*I* am convinced he is getting sick because the house we are living in is such a mess. I can not wait to move in 2 weeks.

I cant afford to move, but I can't afford to stay here... does anyone else ever feel lke that?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#82 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I cant afford to move, but I can't afford to stay here... does anyone else ever feel lke that?
All the time. A month after I moved into these apartments I realized I was in over my head. (Which is sad because they don't get MUCH cheaper in my city, maybe if I move back to my old apartment which had gun shots in the parking lot every couple weeks) There is like one set of apartments that are about $100 a month cheaper and in an OK neighborhood, but I couldn't move now because I can't afford the Uhaul, deposit, breaking my lease, etc....

#83 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I just have to keep telling myself I will find a better job, I can make it work. heck I was a self sufficient adult in the past and there is no reason I cant be now... This new apt is 'very' decent. Its totally gated, marketed as 'luxury' LOL.. they have a pool, lots of green space. Tons of things for us to do THERE - aka FREE- so I dont feel like we have to go out and spend $$... this whole roommate thing that was supposed to save me $$ ended up costing me $$ cuz the roommie can not stay home. An on-site pool is a great activity 9mos a year in arizona. We are about 1 mile from a huge city park! Great for DS....

I think in the long run this is going to be more affordable... plus it will be cleaner and hopefully DS wont get as sick...

#84 of 90 Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 PM

I am so effing sick of being poor. I can't stand it. Tonight DD fell asleep before DH got home, which meant that dinner was basically whatever DH and I wanted to eat. Since he came home at 8:15 tonight, we wanted something easy and simple to make, as we are both exhausted. DH wanted nachos, but we didn't have any tortilla chips in the house, but we had everything else. So off we go to the store, complete with a very upset, teething DS. Had to turn around halfway there because I realized that I had left the food stamp card in my backpack, not in my wallet in the diaper bag. Get home, DH grabs my backpack and we head back to the store. We get to the store, and go to get the food card out of my bag. Not there. I tore that bag apart. Not there. Not there. So we're like, okay, it's only a $2 bag of tortilla chips and I've got my debit card. So we get a screaming DS out of his car seat, walk all around the store to find the damn chips (did I mention I broke two toes a few days back?), and go to check out. Declined. declined.

I hate being so poor that we are relying on foodstamps to buy a bag of tortilla chips. I hate feeling so out of control over my life. I hate that I have to rely on government programs just to feed my family. I JUST HATE THIS!!!!! How the hell did it get so bad that we couldn't even afford to buy tortilla chips? I'm so upset, angry, sad, tearful, distraught, depressed over all of this. We're so far behind on paying bills, paying for anything really other than our mortgage. We've bounced four checks this week because of a stupid mistake we made in our accounting/check book balancing. I am just so sick of having to watch every little penny, and robbing Peter to pay Paul, living paycheck to future paycheck. I don't want millions or to be set for life. I just want enough money to cover the bills, the gas and food, have a little left to put into savings, and maybe buy a bag of tortilla chips once in a while. Is that really too much to ask for?

And as I sit in our bedroom crying and sulking, my wonderful, beautiful, sweet husband is making homemade tortillas for us to have burritos for dinner - at 9pm. I guess having him in my life makes up for having no money.... vent over.....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#85 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
I am so effing sick of being poor. I can't stand it. Tonight DD fell asleep before DH got home, which meant that dinner was basically whatever DH and I wanted to eat. Since he came home at 8:15 tonight, we wanted something easy and simple to make, as we are both exhausted. DH wanted nachos, but we didn't have any tortilla chips in the house, but we had everything else. So off we go to the store, complete with a very upset, teething DS. Had to turn around halfway there because I realized that I had left the food stamp card in my backpack, not in my wallet in the diaper bag. Get home, DH grabs my backpack and we head back to the store. We get to the store, and go to get the food card out of my bag. Not there. I tore that bag apart. Not there. Not there. So we're like, okay, it's only a $2 bag of tortilla chips and I've got my debit card. So we get a screaming DS out of his car seat, walk all around the store to find the damn chips (did I mention I broke two toes a few days back?), and go to check out. Declined. declined.

I hate being so poor that we are relying on foodstamps to buy a bag of tortilla chips. I hate feeling so out of control over my life. I hate that I have to rely on government programs just to feed my family. I JUST HATE THIS!!!!! How the hell did it get so bad that we couldn't even afford to buy tortilla chips? I'm so upset, angry, sad, tearful, distraught, depressed over all of this. We're so far behind on paying bills, paying for anything really other than our mortgage. We've bounced four checks this week because of a stupid mistake we made in our accounting/check book balancing. I am just so sick of having to watch every little penny, and robbing Peter to pay Paul, living paycheck to future paycheck. I don't want millions or to be set for life. I just want enough money to cover the bills, the gas and food, have a little left to put into savings, and maybe buy a bag of tortilla chips once in a while. Is that really too much to ask for?

And as I sit in our bedroom crying and sulking, my wonderful, beautiful, sweet husband is making homemade tortillas for us to have burritos for dinner - at 9pm. I guess having him in my life makes up for having no money.... vent over.....
I am sorry. I felt like that recently because my daughter wanted a apple inside the grocery store and I literally didn't have a penny to buy her a apple. She got upset and I remember crying right there in the store. I hope things get better.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#86 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well my financial aid checks came and we paid all the bills,got grocery and now am broke. Oh well.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#87 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 03:50 PM

My subbing job for today got cancelled, I HATE when the district does that. UGH. Anyway so I thought I would take the time and start to pack, clean, organize etc... I had a total panic attack. My roommate has total 'grandma syndrome' when it comes to DS. And I am finding so much stuff that is just excess packed away in the 3rd bedroom here. No wonder he wont go in there, its jammed up with junk we dont need. I am just not in the mood to deal with this right now. Money is so tight and so see all this 'extra' from the past 2 years that she got him is just rubbing me the wrong way today.

If i take it to the kiddie resale shoppe I will get pennies for it, I can donate it to goodwill, Im just not in the mood for the extra step or 2 when all I wanted to do was pack and organize what I thought we had.

So today I lost a days pay and I found a bunch of stuff that we dont need. I am so irritated, even after I took my panic meds... ugh. Please tell me this is going to get better...

I just need a hug.

#88 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I just need a hug.

#89 of 90 Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 AM

What are everyones plans for the weekend?
DS starts his acting classes on Saturday and he is soooooo excited. Its an improv harry potter session. Should be interesting.
Saturday pm there is a halloween/fall festival we are planning on going to.
Sunday during the day I want to get a good grasp on packing and cleaning up
Sunday pm ToT!

So far I have work for Monday and Tuesday next week (hoping it doesnt get cancelled)

#90 of 90 Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM

New thread --------------> http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post16011524

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page