Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's help each other out, mamas!
#2 of 90 Old 10-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The most amazing thing happened yesterday! I thought I was going to only be able to afford childcare for one of the kids, and so Iris was going to have to stay with her dad for the next few months. I left a message for the director of their Montessori school asking if they had a rate for half days 3 days a week so she could still go a little bit as she was very upset about not being able to go to school. I got a call back from the director and she said she would just lower their tuition because she knows I'm a student and I work my butt off and she likes to help people out. So now both kids can go to school and not have to stay with their dad, which was going to be a pain in the butt! I am soooo happy. I think I am in love with this woman!

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#3 of 90 Old 10-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Oh, and I now have less than 4 weeks til baby is full-term...I'm tons of excited/nevous/trying to get everything together. I have to get all my birth supplies and such, and I really need to get all the baby's clothes sewn too.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#4 of 90 Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 PM

natural mama89, that is so AWESOME! I love when things like that happen at just the right moment! Congrats on your new little one on the way too. You sound incredibly busy.

I am so stressing out right now. I am working, and making a decent wage right now, and I honestly thought things were going to be ok, but now my car is starting to die and I really need to move. I have been in the application process for a housing co-op that would have a move in date of 1/1 or 2/1, but I was sort of not feeling like I would be able to do it right now, but about a month ago, a neighbor attacked me (see last month's thread), and now my neighbor on my other side has informed me that she is shopping for a gun to carry concealed at all times whenever she is outside in case any of the neighbors get too "crazy". She, honestly, is the craziest of all of my neighbors, so I am TERRIFIED to say the least. I NEED to leave this apartment complex. I also need to keep my job, so I need to keep my car running as long as I can until I can afford a new one. I just have no idea how I am going to be able to do it all. I will need at least $1K to move into the co-op and am thinking that I need to budget at least that much for car repairs at this point, although I don't really know what is going on with the car.

I did just get notice in the mail that my rent won't be increasing due to my new job until December 1st, which is such a huge help. I currently don't pay anything, so won't owe a penny in rent until December, and then if I move in January, I won't owe them any more at all. I will obviously be paying rent at the new place, but I honestly can't wait to write them a check as opposed to this scary place.

My foodstamps will be reduced by $50 a month as of November 1st too, which is such a bummer. I can go to the food shelf, but it is nearly impossible to go with DS, but leaving him in care any longer than he already is is just torture for him. He loves his school, but he really shouldn't be there any longer than 20 or so hours per week, or he just loses it.

Also, if we end up moving on 1/1, I can't imagine a more horrid moving date... I can only imagine the stress of packing up and moving a week after Christmas. ACK!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#5 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 AM

We are still in the midst of the climb out of the financial depths, which is fabulous, but I'm suddenly confronted with having to come up with a little extra for some legal costs. My ex is surrendering parental rights to our daughter so my husband can adopt her. I am VERY willing to come up with the money to facilitate that.

I am getting over the guilt of spending a little money last month on myself- it's amazing the difference a couple pair of properly fitting jeans have made in my self-esteem though.
#6 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Last week was
I cashed in both coke points and my points.
I got/will be getting Nike gift cards from coke, Olive garden gift cards and On The Border Gift Cards from my points.com.
I cashed in my bank points and my account recieved $25.00
I also recieved my Cashforbooks.com check.
Today I used my $10 off anything at Kohls coupon, DS will be getting the cutest sleep pants for xmas
I went to the Lego store and got DS something for xmas and used 'lego points' to help defray the cost
I rec'd $15.99 in a VISA gift card from a staples rebate.

I love when I get to cash in points for free stuff!

I also had work for 3 days... I really wanted 4 days but that didnt happen.

I hope October stays great... It feels like the 'holidays' are starting and I think this year I am going to enjoy the holiday season!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know where the signups for holiday helper are? I see they are going to start accepting applications on the 4th.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#8 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM

#9 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know where the signups for holiday helper are? I see they are going to start accepting applications on the 4th.
I am pretty sure there was an announcement in this forum (Frugality and Finances) last year when sign-ups began. I also seem to remember that a mod put a note in the low income thread too. (I have been low income for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too long...)

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#10 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Okay, so I have worked it all out. I have a total of $1275 in fixed bills a month. I will at the end of the month actually have paid everything on time (except I am still a month behind on my car). I owe my sister $470 and the rest of my tuition for the semester is $415. I have 2008's (long story) taxes refunding sometime this month, meaning I can get finally caught up on the bills, pay my lawyer (divorce is almost finalized) and pay off all my small debts, except the car and my student loans. By the end of the year, I'll still be dirt poor and scraping by, but I will be in a bit better a situation hopefully.

I now work two part time jobs...20-30 hours in a geology lab a week and 1-3 subbing assignments in the district a week. We've been so behind and barely making it for so many months (note that I owe my sister money for the rent she helped swing last month). I get a pittance in child support if he gives it at all (we just settled up sept and october's CS today). I am a senior geology major at major university and will be graduated after summer field school if I still have to go.

This summer I contracted Stevens-Johnson syndrome, spent much too much time in the hospital and in recovery that my world fell apart. Thankfully, my stbx and his gf took care of the kids while I was admitted. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. things are back to normal again with our 50-50 split thankfully as well. I missed them so much. BUT now I don't know what the dept is going to do about my capstone class and one other one: Intro to Field Geology and summer Field Geology in Colorado. I break out in massive systemic eczema anytime the sun touches my skin for more than 5 minutes or I sweat. It's itchy horrid bumps all over my body and it takes a great deal of steroids to keep under control (not to add the weight the steroids put on me :mad).

If I only work harder, press myself further than I thought I could, I can get through this. I live at least 3 hours away from any of my or his family, have only a few friends here that I trust and have my ex and his gf down the street. I don't know why I am saying all of this, but it just needed to come out. I know one day it won't be as much of a daily struggle. I just want that day to come sooner than later.
#11 of 90 Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Hey everyone! I thought I would stop by and say hi. I am so happy to have found this thread. I am sending my support and hugs to all of you.
We have been low-mid income for awhile but since we moved out to the west coast last Autumn we have been really, really struggling to make ends meet. It's been really hard living pay check to pay check wondering if we will be able to afford the mortgage this month so we still have a roof over our heads...I wish no one ever had to go through anything like that!

I am preggo with our third blessing and due this winter. I was thrilled when we moved out here at the idea of FINALLY having a home birth but then reality set in. Our insurance cover 80% of it but no matter what we still can't afford that other 20% so I have to give birth in a hospital (again) where it will be free for us
I'm trying not to let it bother me but well, it IS!

Anyways, enough about me. I look forward to chatting with all of you!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#12 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 AM

Oh man do I never need this thread. I just finished bawling to my husband because I have to work at a job where I am being discriminated against, but I can't quite because we need my job because DH is still delivering pizzas because he can't find work. What a mouth full. Sigh.Plus they cut our food stamps in half when I got my job even though my job and DH's dosen't even come close to paying the basics. I know were are blessed, but today its hard to count those blessings....
#13 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Vannie - you should be able to get a medical release from those classes with a doctors letter. They might sub another class or just have you do any bookwork for the original class though. It CAN be done as you have a valid medical reason. Get the letter and request a meeting with your dept. head and student disability office and demand they work something out.

We're still here, still broke, running a month behind on bills, roof still not fixed. Finally got a roofer willing to patch it, but when he looked at it he said that there was damage to the sheathing 4 foot in all the way around the house, and that it would be better to leave it as is while we raise the funds to just replace the whole thing. So I've GOT to find a way to sell my car, and anything else I can get my hands on to sell. We had our yard sale and made close to $700 for the roof fund, and will get another $150 tomorrow for a few more items. Now I'm starting to go through books and see what we've got that they are buying online. Also working on a few Ebay auctions to raise funds too.

I've got to call and see about a city program that might fix the roof tomorrow - last time I called they were out of funding but said they might get more in October. As soon as we can get the roof fixed we're going for weatherization to insulate the house to cut the bills.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#14 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM

#15 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey mamas.. just wanted to remind you that today is Holiday Helper FIN signups

#16 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM

#17 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM

well dang, i dont have enough posts to sign up for HHFIN...ugh

Single mom to 2 boys
#18 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
well dang, i dont have enough posts to sign up for HHFIN...ugh
Me either. Oh well. I'll figure it out somehow. I just don't have internet reliably through the year to post that much.
#19 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
Just got an email saying that my graduation application was rejected because I haven't paid the $48 graduation application fee yet. Hoping Calworks will be able to cover it...has anyone else had graduation issues due to not being able to afford the fees?
I hope I don't come up against this. There has to be a way around this for low income families.
#20 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM

So today was a long day subbing in a middle school math class. At least I have assignments for the rest of the week and next (MWF only). Hoping to pick up a thurs afternoon both weeks. The week after that there is fall break, so there is only 1 day I can sub. I need to sub as much as possible to stay afloat right now.

I also picked up a couple hours in the lab tomorrow. If I can get this experiment set up tomorrow, we will have a ton of work in the lab for the other two workers and me ready and going. After it's set up, the rest of the work is easy work, so I have incentive there .

I got an email from my professor asking me to meet her before class tomorrow. I bet she just wants my doctor's note from september but I always get nervous when having to speak with instructors. She said I did well on the test, but hasn't posted grades yet. Nervous. I NEED to do well in this class and Geophysics is one of my hardest courses for some reason. It's what I STUDY, have been doing in the lab for 1.5 years and have already taken half the course before (it's one of my incompletes). It shouldn't be this difficult for me.
#21 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
I hope I don't come up against this. There has to be a way around this for low income families.
I have called all over campus: student financial services, financial aid, etc., etc., etc. My last hope is for Calworks (welfare) to pay for it. My worker says that she thinks they should be able to if I can provide the right paperwork.

#22 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Me either. Oh well. I'll figure it out somehow. I just don't have internet reliably through the year to post that much.
Same here, there have been months where I didn't have the internet. Plus I am a month shy of meeting time guidelines... I'll figure something out.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#23 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Just found out today that my car needs a new engine. It is 12 years old and not worth putting that much money into it. My job is technically a seasonal position, so I can't get a car loan right now. There is no way can get to work and back and drop my son off and pick him up at his preschool without a car. I could possibly do it if I didn't have to worry about him, but I don't know anyone who can pick him up or drop him off.

I called my state aid worker and she basically said that I will need to have my car die and lose my job before she can help me. I am so frustrated... If I could find a way to either get my car fixed, or find a way to buy a new (to me) car, I would be much less of a burdon on the system, and yet it is set up to only help once I have lost everything rather than helping to keep me on the road so I can stay off cash assistance. I just want to cry at this point. Things were just starting to look up and now I am looking at not having a vehicle in a month or two.

#24 of 90 Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 PM

Sitting on the side of the road waiting for my husband to pick me up. My car just died in the middle of the road in rush hour. Not only do I not have money for the repairs, I have no money to pay the tow truck that the police had to call, so my car is going to the impound yard. Bawl!!!! What am I going to do? I can't go to work with out a car my work is 20 miles from my house..
#25 of 90 Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Popping in to say hi...I haven't had the internet at home for awhile so I haven't gotten on much lately...But I am hoping to be able to rent an apartment in about 3 weeks that has cheaper bills...Please keep your prayers and fingers/toes crossed for me..If we get this It will free up enough $$ so I can not only get the pnone/internet turned on but more grocery $$....

Even though I don't post much I read and pray for you ladies every day..It has been such a rough year for all of us..Hugs to all of you...
#26 of 90 Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
I have called all over campus: student financial services, financial aid, etc., etc., etc. My last hope is for Calworks (welfare) to pay for it. My worker says that she thinks they should be able to if I can provide the right paperwork.
Are you at community college or university? If you're at community college, they may have a program called CARE that helps with fees. I hope you can get it resolved!

Good luck to you guys with your car issues, too. What a hassle! For repairs, see if there is an auto mechanic program at any of the local schools. A friend of mine was able to get car repairs done at cost by students recently.

You also might look into the Ways to Work program. Here are the eligibility rules:
The minimum loan eligibility criteria for applicants are:

1. Continuous employment for at least six months or
2. Matriculated in a post high school educational program
3. Involved parent(s) of dependent child(ren), and
4. Have exhausted conventional loan resources, and
5. Have disposable income sufficient to make repayment (for no more than a two year term and at an interest rate at no greater than 8%) , and
6. Have a household income no greater than 80% of the area’s median income, and
7. Reside in geographic service area.

They're not everywhere, but in our area, they'll offer up to $6,000 at 8% interest fixed over 30 months, and $500 paid for the first six months of insurance. If you don't have great credit, it's a good way to improve your credit and get reliable transportation. (I'm not affiliated with them, just hope that it helps someone!)

I'm working on a blog series on how to make extra money, legally and legitimately and not $.05 for stuffing envelopes scams. I'll post it when I get it up. I'm a student and stay at home mom and am trying to save money for an emergency fund, and I've been trying all different ideas this year. A couple have worked out well, like mystery shopping, and others have not been worth the time, like Cha Cha. (I won't work for under minimum wage and averaged under $2 an hour on Cha Cha!)
#27 of 90 Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSavedQuarter View Post
Are you at community college or university? If you're at community college, they may have a program called CARE that helps with fees. I hope you can get it resolved!

Good luck to you guys with your car issues, too. What a hassle! For repairs, see if there is an auto mechanic program at any of the local schools. A friend of mine was able to get car repairs done at cost by students recently.

You also might look into the Ways to Work program. Here are the eligibility rules:
The minimum loan eligibility criteria for applicants are:

1. Continuous employment for at least six months or
2. Matriculated in a post high school educational program
3. Involved parent(s) of dependent child(ren), and
4. Have exhausted conventional loan resources, and
5. Have disposable income sufficient to make repayment (for no more than a two year term and at an interest rate at no greater than 8%) , and
6. Have a household income no greater than 80% of the area’s median income, and
7. Reside in geographic service area.

They're not everywhere, but in our area, they'll offer up to $6,000 at 8% interest fixed over 30 months, and $500 paid for the first six months of insurance. If you don't have great credit, it's a good way to improve your credit and get reliable transportation. (I'm not affiliated with them, just hope that it helps someone!)

I'm working on a blog series on how to make extra money, legally and legitimately and not $.05 for stuffing envelopes scams. I'll post it when I get it up. I'm a student and stay at home mom and am trying to save money for an emergency fund, and I've been trying all different ideas this year. A couple have worked out well, like mystery shopping, and others have not been worth the time, like Cha Cha. (I won't work for under minimum wage and averaged under $2 an hour on Cha Cha!)
I work for ChaCha and I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes awhile but I have made 1k in a few months there so I am def not complaining lol. I love working for them but I know not everyone does.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#28 of 90 Old 10-06-2010, 12:57 PM

So, I haven't went to my brothers in 6 years now because of money (I am in NC hes in MA) but he comes down to see us about 2x a year. He is going thru alot trying to get into Law school so I decided to surprise him and fly there! I leave on Nov 4th, and return on the 10th. My girls are staying home with a friend and there dad so I am going alone and I can't freaking wait!! The best thing? I paid only 89.00 round trip to go!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#29 of 90 Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM

Dang it! My car is DEAD! The tow truck drivertook pity on me a took it to a shop and the shope said it would cost 3 times what the car is worth to fix it. I am having a panic attack, I am going to loose my job with out a car!!!! I can't afford payments, what do I do?
#30 of 90 Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM

It seams like car problems are going around.. we also just had to spend all our savings into fixing our cars and getting one of them re-registered.

(((HUGS))) all around!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page