Cheapest place to get an eye exam and contacts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do not have vision coverage at this time through DH's job. I am desperately in need of new contacts, and an exam in order to get them. Any suggestions for places to get them cheaply?
#2 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM

The eye doctors at Walmart are fairly cheap. I think I paid $90something for the exam? As far as the contacts I'd buy in bulk.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Try www.twopair.com It's America's Best Eyecare. You can get an eye exam and two pair of glasses for $69. I think a contact exam is $30 more? I go there then I order my contacts from www.contactlensking.com That might not be the cheapest place for your contacts though. It depends on which brand you wear!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#4 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Costco, if you are a member.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#5 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sams? I don't think you have to be a member.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
DO you need contacts or can you do frames?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

I usually get my eyes examined at either Walmart or Costco. I usually order my contacts from Costco. They were a couple dollars cheaper per box than Walmart but it would also depend on your prescription and brand.
#8 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM

No advice on exam because we have insurance, but I buy in bulk from BJS. They usually have a rebate in addition to being cheaper per box.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#9 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Sam's Club? Last time I did a contact exam there, it was $65 and that was both the exam and "fitting" fee (aka, they didn't charge a fitting fee). For that, I actually got three appointments: the first where they gave me a pair of contacts that simply did not work right; the second where we tried a different type; and the third where I said the different type worked, the doc gave me a quick eye inspection and gave me the final prescription information. (I also ordered a years supple of soft toric lenses through them, I think that was $150.)

This was a few years ago, so their exam fee is probably more expensive. But it was far and away cheaper than any other place I looked at. It was cheaper than doing it THROUGH the vision insurance I did have (since the insurance didn't cover the fitting fee every other place wanted to charge me).
#10 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
DO you need contacts or can you do frames?
I have frames, but I prefer contacts.

I need to renew my BJs membership, I forgot about that option. I'll check out their prices.
#11 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschick View Post

This was a few years ago, so their exam fee is probably more expensive. But it was far and away cheaper than any other place I looked at. It was cheaper than doing it THROUGH the vision insurance I did have (since the insurance didn't cover the fitting fee every other place wanted to charge me).
I just wanted to say-- I ran the numbers, and found that the vision insurance we had was really not worth it. between the premiums and copays, I would have been better off oging to sams with less paper work.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#12 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM

I second www.contactlensking.com They had my prescription and brand the cheapest online.

Also, MJ just ordered from ZenniOptical for her new frames. One pair turned out perfect. The other not so much.

I have done the WalMart and strip-mall route, but haven't been thrilled. That said, I have a difficult prescription to get right with astigmatism and severe myopia. If your situation is more typical, you should be fine.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#13 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Ok. This may or may not be helpful but I'm gonna say it anyways. Lasik is SO cheap these days. I got my vision back for a grand total of $2000 (780 per eye plus drops and insurance). I know it still seems like a lot but add up how much you pay for a few pairs of contacts and glasses, and solution. My eyes are insured for 5 years. But will probably be good for life. And I love being able to see again... so much....

This is what prompted me to get it. I was on the market for new glasses. Wanted some nice designer frames. I was sick to death of my ugly pair. Probably would have spent at least 400...

They have payment plans too, if that helps...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#14 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Costco, if you are a member.
I've been going to costco for eye exams/glasses for years without being a member. I'm in Canada, not sure if that makes a difference.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#15 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 PM

We are members of Costco, but you don't have to be to get an eye exam there. Glasses exam is $49 here. Contacts exams run higher and depend on what type of lens are needed.

Call around in your area.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM

I didn't know you could be non-member and use Costco's vision services, but I'm a member-so I don't pay attention to that stuff. I'm sure to get their best deals though(like the 2 for 1 coupons) you'd need to be though.

I just know DH got an exam and 2 pairs of glasses(reg and sun) for $200 bucks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#17 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Costco is the cheapest place for the contacts I order. I usually get a rebate when I order 6 month or a year supply. I also purchase my frames from them.

As far as I know at my Costco, you do have to be a member to purchase contacts or frames. You do not have to be a member to get an eye exam.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#18 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I just wanted to say-- I ran the numbers, and found that the vision insurance we had was really not worth it. between the premiums and copays, I would have been better off oging to sams with less paper work.
I agree that sometimes vision insurance isn't worth it. Of course, it all depends on your needs, costs, etc. By the time I pay the premium, I can pay less without insurance.

A bit OT, but a neighbor of mine said that at one point, it wasn't worth it for her having dental insurance. Apparently, her DH's company provided such a crappy plan, it was better to pay out of pocket, even for large costs like crowns, etc. Something like the plan didn't cover anything but cleanings the first year, and then phased in after that so big stuff wasn't covered until like year three or something crazy like that. I've never had a plan like that, but I have heard other people mention them besides her.
#19 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 AM

I want to do my vision test in order to apply for position at para medics as well as police constable. Where do get cheapest rate to my vision test in winnipeg?

kindly reply

shijo lazar

#20 of 23 Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I know you said contacts but just to put it out there for everyone in case someone needs it, I just got my 12 year old a pair of glasses for $14.90 shipped from ZenniOptical.com.  We have medicaid but the frames we get for free from that are really boring and icky.  Serviceable of course and we are grateful but a 12 year old wants something exciting to her if she has to wear them everyday and they didn't have what she wanted.  Zenni Optical has some great super cheap glasses and they look fairly sturdy and decent quality.  I was really pleased with what we got and how quickly they came(about 10 days) considering it's the first time I've used them.  I would love to get myself a pair of frames from them soon as well.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#21 of 23 Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM

We get the exam through a local cheap doctor then just take the contacts Rx that he writes and order them online from visiondirect.com

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#22 of 23 Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

We get the exam through a local cheap doctor then just take the contacts Rx that he writes and order them online from visiondirect.com

me too.  they do 25% coupon codes and free ship. i got 3 year worth of contacts for $170.  alo you can get 8% back through ebates

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#23 of 23 Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM

I really need to look into doing lasik myself. I refuse to wear contacts. I struggle with anything near my eye (the open poles on pegboards at stores freak me out) and they tried to get me to wear hard contacts to slow my astig down and I could get them in, but couldn't get them out. Later when I was like 18/19 I tried to do soft as they FINALLY offered a soft toric in my prescription, but I couldn't get them in for crap, but could get them out. weird.

my glasses NEED to be the high index polycarb because my prescription is so bad. it's not just a look thing, it's a functionality issue. if I went with cheap straightup plastic my lenses would be over an inch thick. I actually have to be super careful about the style of frames I pick (smaller is better as less of the dramatic curve from the astig will be there) and my prescription is too thick for a lot of styles. it looks pretty funny in wires these days, and I can't do rimless at all. I think last time I asked they said anything over a -6.0 the lab wouldn't do, or wouldn't advise be done. mine are -9.0 (plus the bad astig)

I haven't fooled with insurance ever because my glasses are "specialty" when you are talking more custom frames and needing low reflect high index poly carb. a lot of ins companies won't pay for that, or only a smaller %. plus most of the jobs i've had offered the "mail in what you paid and we'll refund you some small chunk" ehhh....

Last time I bought glasses was at binyons/eyemasters and probably my cheapest trip EVER. I think I paid around 600 bucks and got exam and 2 pairs of glasses. it was a buy one get one thing, and i'd never had two pairs and when you are as blind as I am....it was def nice to finally have a backup. plus I no longer need new glasses every year like I did til i was 20ish.

Sad I considered 600 bucks "cheap"!

I usually pay around 100 for frames and 200+ for lenses. I paid a little over 400 once for a pair.

I got vision here at my new job and i'm about due for a re-exam and i'm wanting to try zenni myself. I won't be totally out of luck if they can't do them anyway, and even 60 bucks (what a frame plus high index would run me) is a heck of a lot cheaper!

I keep talking myself out of lasik tho. at the cost of my lenses it would pay for itself in just a few years really, and it would be SOO nice to be able to see my kids while at the pool without wearing glasses and looking like a total dork. hahhaa...

or fumbling around for glasses to even SEE my clock in the AM, or worse knocking glasses off and having to gingerly pick way into bathroom where 2nd pair is kept so I can find the first pair.

I can really only see high contrast/color without them. my vision doesn't have a point where it becomes clear. it's hard :S

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page