How much spending money do the adults in your house get? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We get 20 dollars / month for our own spending money. But, we are living in China so it goes a bit farther than it would in the U.S. and we really can't set aside any more than that because we are desperately working on paying down our debts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
P

This "should" cover clothing for me and DD, haircuts for me, extraneous stuff for the house, including organizing things, all of my lunches out, gifts, yarn, fabric including for costumes, paint supplies, home improvement stuff. Basically anything that isn't a recurring budget item.
This seems to be the difference between those who have "blow money" and those who don't specifically.
I actually do have budget categories for household/home improvement, gifts, entertainment, eating out...
Our spending money has its own budget category called "allowance". So yeah, we don't just pay bills, do some saving, then spend the rest on everything else. We follow the "give every dollar a job" budgeting style.

4 kids under 10
Old 10-22-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

OP here -- I should add that DH plays music on the side and any equipment he "needs" gets taken out of his budget. He does not save up for anything -- I don't think he's capable of it, really. And he doesn't get fast food much anymore now that he's gluten-free, so I try to have leftovers for him to take to work for lunch. I know he'd like to buy CDs and go to the occasional show, but honestly, I can't see how he can't do that on $30 a week. I know gluten-free beer and wine are pricey, but still. Maybe because I don't really drink I don't understand.

We follow the Mary Hunt "Freedom Account" idea to cover expense that are not regular, so clothes, gifts, home improvements, postage stamps, etc. are all covered as well. Like the previous poster, every dollar has a home.

I think my mistake was making the amount $50 a week at first (long, long ago) and then changing it to $30. Money IS tight or I wouldn't begrudge him a bit more. I mean, we could afford it, technically, but we have hardly anything in savings and have a huge mortgage. I personally think getting a handle on those things (plus saving up to replace our 11- and 12-year old cars when they go, plus insulating the house, etc.) is more important.

I don't mean to say that DH is constantly complaining or anything. He's really very supportive of how I handle our money. I guess I *do* feel a little guilty knowing he's not entirely happy with the amount of money he gets each week.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
OP here -- I should add that DH plays music on the side and any equipment he "needs" gets taken out of his budget. He does not save up for anything -- I don't think he's capable of it, really. And he doesn't get fast food much anymore now that he's gluten-free, so I try to have leftovers for him to take to work for lunch. I know he'd like to buy CDs and go to the occasional show, but honestly, I can't see how he can't do that on $30 a week. I know gluten-free beer and wine are pricey, but still. Maybe because I don't really drink I don't understand.

We follow the Mary Hunt "Freedom Account" idea to cover expense that are not regular, so clothes, gifts, home improvements, postage stamps, etc. are all covered as well. Like the previous poster, every dollar has a home.

I think my mistake was making the amount $50 a week at first (long, long ago) and then changing it to $30. Money IS tight or I wouldn't begrudge him a bit more. I mean, we could afford it, technically, but we have hardly anything in savings and have a huge mortgage. I personally think getting a handle on those things (plus saving up to replace our 11- and 12-year old cars when they go, plus insulating the house, etc.) is more important.

I don't mean to say that DH is constantly complaining or anything. He's really very supportive of how I handle our money. I guess I *do* feel a little guilty knowing he's not entirely happy with the amount of money he gets each week.
Maybe he just needs some budgeting help? I don't know, my DH is clueless when it comes to managing money but I've been trying to help him out, don't know if your DH is the same. What if you changed it up a bit and he got, say, $15 for alcohol and $20 for other stuff? Only $5 more out of your budget but might help him feel he has more wiggle room? And I guess I feel if he wants to spend so much money on beer (which I will never understand lol), that's his choice, so why feel bad that he can't get CD's... but if he doesn't quite grasp that he could manage his money differently, then maybe adjusting things a bit and adding an extra category or two could help?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Since its just me and DS I have our budget set up a bit different. DS is 10 but he gets $ put in his account every month as well for spending. ($15). I get $30. This is our spending money. DS usually saves his for a large Lego set and I use mine for an outing. This month I was able to 'groupon' tickets for a pumpkin patch $7 for the both of us, I will use a coupon to the botanical garden $10 for the both of us and the remaining $13 will go toward November.

*When it comes to money DS is counted as an adult. DS has a prepaid bank card that he can use to make purchases etc.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-23-2010, 02:16 PM

dh doesn't have a budget, he gets money when he wants it, and that is fairly often these days. He goes out with friends at least 1x a week, plus he eats out 3x a week at work, I imagine it is 50$ a week easy. Me I don't get a weekly amount either, I just buy something when i want or need it, like a random book maybe a few times a year, but I am the more frugal one in the relationship and don't like to spend money on unnecessary things like fashion accessories or even hobbies or going out, dh wouldn't care, but I do, so that is just how it is here.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Right now we give ourselves about $40 each per week. He spends his mostly on movies and I spend mine mostly on comic books or cheesecake lol

~Kyra~ TTC #3
Wife to PJ, Mom to Jake and Summer. APing, BF advocating, comic book loving vegetarian Booninite.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM

$0 for us but every now and then we will spend $5-$10 on a little treat. For me it is Starbucks and for him it is Del Taco with a friend. I would say about $40 total for the month. We always discuss this with each other the day we decide to get a little something. Eventually we will have a higher set amount, probably $20 a week per person.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM

20$ per month for each of us. We are in the "allocate every dollar" camp. I don't usually spend my 20$, or if I do it goes into the grocery or family-eating-out envelope instead.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
We don't really have set amounts. If one of us needs or wants something and it's not exorbitant, we just buy it. Books, clothes, perfume, baseball tickets, lunch out ...

This works for us because we're both pretty cheap and spend less than we make. We each know we can trust the other not to go hogwild, and neither of us is tempted to overspend if we don't have a set limit.
yeah, this is us too.

User Tag List