Free (or VERY low cost) letter from Santa? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited about Santa this year and asked if he could write him a letter tonight. I said "sure you can" and then he asked if Santa would write back to him. I know I have seen free or very low cost letters from Santa that can be mailed to your house before, but when I Google "letter from Santa", I come up with things that are $$$$.

Anyone have a good resource for a letter from Santa?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 PM

I think in December you can actually get your post office to mail a letter to your house form the north pole, so you write it yourself and send it from the post office with the north pole stamp!

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#3 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 PM

Maybe have a friend or relative in another state send it?

Or will he be scanning the address?

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 11:55 PM

Norad tracks Santa every year and will do e-mail letters to kids for free! I think they start on December 1 tho. http://www.noradsanta.org/

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#5 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

He is too young to see where the letter is post marked, but he definitely was wanting a real physical letter. He loves to help me get the mail, and a letter in the box just for him from Santa would send him over the moon. I will ask at the Post Office the next time I am in to see about sending a letter "from" the North Pole if I give it to them. That would be perfect. I could really make the letter say exactly what I want and he would still get the thrill of receiving a letter in the mail.

Thanks so much for the ideas!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Check out this link http://http://www.usps.com/communica...2007_1203a.htm

You, as the parent, can send a letter from Santa and it will be sent back with the North Pole post mark.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#7 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM

http://www.usps.com/communications/n..._2008_1124.htm

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#8 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM

#9 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 AM

I live in Santa Claus, in and if you send the letter to our post office a bunch of us send the letters back for free it's a really neat letter signed and with the only Santa Claus post mark.

Address:
Santa Claus
Po box 1
Santa Claus, in 47579

Send it 1 St of december
#10 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesong55 View Post
I live in Santa Claus, in and if you send the letter to our post office a bunch of us send the letters back for free it's a really neat letter signed and with the only Santa Claus post mark.

Address:
Santa Claus
Po box 1
Santa Claus, in 47579

Send it 1 St of december
This is so cool! What a wonderful thing your community does
#11 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

It's always fun. They distribute the letters to different businesses and the museum and the workers during down time open and read the letters and take a preprinted letter and add a small note and send it back.
#12 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM

I live in Canada and Canada Post sends a letter back..it's pretty standard letter. But it still got ds excited last year.

Also theres the email message where Santa talks to them, shows a picture of their face and talks about the reindeer...DS watched his OVER AND OVER AND OVER again...totally loved it

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#13 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Address:
Santa Claus
Po box 1
Santa Claus, in 47579

Send it 1 St of december
Too cool! I used to live right outside of Santa Claus, GA and I know people from nearby towns would drive in to mail out all of their Christmas cards just to have the postmark!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#14 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Yup, our post office sends the letter to Santa back to the parent and then sends a letter from Santa to the kiddo. Really cool.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#15 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Address:
Santa Claus
Po box 1
Santa Claus, in 47579

Send it 1 St of december
Do you know basically what the letter says? Or can I send a pre-written letter for Santa to "sign" and send back to him? I Googled Santa Claus, IN and could only come up with this page which has a link to this site which charges $12.99 for a letter from Santa.

I would love to hear more about the program you were talking about. What a fun thing to have going on in your town and to participate in!!

#16 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM

#17 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM

The letter is basic. Sort of the story of Santa nothing religious.

If you go to : www.Santaclausmuseum.org there is a link on the left write to Santa that's the organization that sponsors the letters.

There's samples at that link.
#18 of 24 Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Just wanted to add, my sister when little wanted a letter from Santa, but was very..shrewd. (still is)

My mom wrote a letter on the computer, put it in calligraphy print then traced it. When she got the letter, sure enough she compared handwriting.

I thought it would be a cute idea for a kid who keeps it so later on won't realize mom wrote it/ it was printed.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#19 of 24 Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Our community has a special mailbox (or mailboxes) and if you mail Santa a letter, he will send you one back. (All thanks to many volunteers!)
#20 of 24 Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
DS is soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited about Santa this year and asked if he could write him a letter tonight. I said "sure you can" and then he asked if Santa would write back to him. I know I have seen free or very low cost letters from Santa that can be mailed to your house before, but when I Google "letter from Santa", I come up with things that are $$$$.

Anyone have a good resource for a letter from Santa?
Each year, I donate money to the NICU of the hospital that DS1 and 2 were born in. I would check with your local hospital or children's hospital to see if they offer something like. Fun for your LO and helps a great cause.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#21 of 24 Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
Just wanted to add, my sister when little wanted a letter from Santa, but was very..shrewd. (still is)

My mom wrote a letter on the computer, put it in calligraphy print then traced it. When she got the letter, sure enough she compared handwriting.

I thought it would be a cute idea for a kid who keeps it so later on won't realize mom wrote it/ it was printed.
Whoa! Smart mama to trace the calligraphy, and super smart kiddo to figure it out! I was thinking of having a friend write it for me, or using my left hand. I am somewhat ambidextrous, but I rarely write with my left hand anymore, so it wouldn't look anything like my "normal" hand writing. I figure I could do it each year, and it would look similar enough from year to year, but it still wouldn't be a hand writing that DS would recognize.

I am so excited for December to get here now! Thanks for all of the ideas!

#22 of 24 Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 AM

The PX over here sponsers "letters to santa" basically you take the envelop, self address/stamp it then put it in the box. They send it off to whereever it is (forgot where) and it comes back post marked by "Santa". My daughter is to smart for that "Mommy, those aren't REALLY from Santa", shes not even 4. Last year my FIL had a part time job as Santa at a local fair while we were visiting, first time she saw him she pulled me aside "Mommy, that not Santa, that grandpa!", she wasn't even 3 at the time. haha Can't fool this kid!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#23 of 24 Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 PM

I have friends in North Pole, Alaska and they do the same thing as was mentioned for the town of Santa Clause... every year hundreds upon hundreds of letters arrive there for santa and various groups volunteer to reply. Apparently it's a fairly generic letter, and they only reply to letters that are obviously written by children (and have legible addys ), but it's a real live paper letter from the North Pole. Or, at least, "a" North Pole!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#24 of 24 Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Santa used to leave me a letter/ note to open X-mas morning.

Found out years later, my dad and the neighbor would trade letters. My dad would write the letter for the neighbors kids, and neighbor man would write mine.

Santa would thank me for being good and the snack we left out (not cookies), but instead we always left leftovers. As my dad was certain that Santa got cookies and milk in all the other house's, and how he would remember our house as we would leave out some lasgana or the like instead! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page