Aldi's - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering are they a good deal or not. I've never been in one before but I work at wal mart and a lot of stuff they are doing has my dh pissed to say the least and wants me to quit shopping there. I live in a very small community with 2 grocery stores( owned by the same person) within a 30 mile radius. Needless to say everything is SO EXPENSIVE I need to find some where else. There is a Aldi's and a sav a lot about 35 miles away and we go there at least biweekly I normally shop weekly but it wouldn't be any problem to do it bi.

Just wondering everyones take on Aldi or savalot

Thanks
Tina
#2 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM

I'm a big aldi fan A lot of their products are priced well below the standard name brands and most are really good. They (aldi) claim that their products will be at least as good (or better) than the name brand and on most things, I believe it. I don't know if they do it on the US aldi site? but here in Aus they have a shopping list feature, where you browse their categories and choose items you need to buy and it makes a list and gives you the exact price all total. If they do, maybe run a sample weeks shopping thrhough that and see what it would cost you there? The only downside is the product names aren't as easily recognized.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Aldi's is one of my usual grocery stores. Nearly all of what they offer is their own brand. I have no idea if their produce is local, so I don't usually buy that there, but canned goods, frozen things, other variety of boxed things that my kids cannot live without, it's pretty good for. Oh, and their pasta sauces do not have HFCS, which is a major bonus.

signature currently in transition
#4 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

These are the kind of things I am looking for

Thanks
#5 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM

I lived in Germany for a few years and fell in love with Aldi there.

Aldi will contact the leading national brand and contract with them to make their private label items. In general they are as good as the name brand items. I've found a couple of things which I don't like, but not many. I believe they also use local dairies as well. I know someone working in a local dairy and they also make the "Friendly Farms" brand for our Aldi stores.

I even have a spreadsheet that lists all of Aldi's prices/unit that I can take with me when shopping at other stores. I very rarely find things that are cheaper than Aldi (Wal-Mart included). I was shocked to see that most of the time sale prices are more expensive that everyday prices at Aldi.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#6 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Another Aldi shopper here too! They don't have many organics (although they sometimes do), but you can't beat the prices. It may be a local thing, but I've found all of the produce to be superior to Walmart and our other local chain grocery store, except for bananas (are very green and don't ripen very well), onions (tend to have a few rotten ones in the bag), and white potatoes (go bad within just a few days). It's definitely worth a look if you haven't been.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#7 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Their prices are the best in our area.

They're great for basics.

Some things I can't get, or are only seasonal (things like yeast for baking). And I have a preference on a few things for certain brands, which I go to WalMart for.

But overall, they are great. Things we get from there:
most baking goods (flour, sugar, salt, bp, b.soda...)
dairy
some meats
frozen fish
oats and cereal
spaghetti sauce
pepperoni
pasta and rice (only white, though)
produce
frozen vegetables
frozen fruit
#8 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Their prices are really good. Their produce is not organic, but it is always fresh. They are an easy quick stop for basics. Some of their boxed foods have long ingredient lists I don't care for so I avoid those and just buy basic ingredients to cook with.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#9 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM

LOVE Aldi. Soooo much cheaper than the average grocers. I don't always like their meat, so I usually get that at Costco. I doubt you'll regret checking it out and seeing how much you save. If you have Trader Joe's nearby, I'd also recommend that...they're owned by the same company as Aldi's and are also pretty cheap, but they carry organics!

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#10 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Take a quarter with you to Aldi - you need to insert a quarter to unlock a cart ! Take your own bags too...they charge for bags. I actually push the whole cart of loose groceries to the van after I pay and only bag it all as it goes into the van, because I don't like taking bags into the store.

You get the quarter back when you replace your cart.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#11 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think Sunday when we get back from camping I'm taking a road trip. Unfortunately there's not a trader joes around here.

Thanks
Tina
#12 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 AM

Make sure they are open on Sundays, the one where I used to live wasn't.
#13 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM

I shopped there today for the first time in a long time. The prices are great, the store is small, and it's easy to get in and out (a bonus at this point in my life). I'll be making it a regular stop in my rotation.
#14 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm an Aldi convert. I used to not think too much of Aldi but I have tried lots of their products and most are as good or better than the national brand counterpart. Also, Aldi has a satisfaction guarantee on their products; if you aren't satisfied you get your money back.

Like others have said, they don't have many organic products but they do use local, when possible. Their prices on baking supplies and snacks (including organic tortilla chips) cannot be beat!

I think I might make an Aldi run today!

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#15 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM

One poster mentioned taking a quarter. There are a few other "special things" to keep in mind when shopping at Aldi. They do not take credit cards. They can take debit cards (at least mine can) and they accept cash. I am not sure about checks or not. Also they do not accept coupons. Which probably doesn't matter because there aren't coupons out for most of the stuff they carry, since it's not brand name. And, they don't bag. You can bring your own or pay for the bags they have, which is actually a surprisingly large range of paper, plastic, reusuable etc.

I utilize a large mixture of stores to get the best price and Aldi is often in that rotation. Just make sure you scan all your local store sales before you go, because sometimes a sale price on say eggs or milk or whatever will beat the Aldi price. Eggs at Aldi here are $0.99, but occasionally Kroger will have a sale for them for just $0.88.
#16 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM

I am a fan with a few reservations. I never buy meat there. I have never bought a bag of potatoes there that at least one of them wasn't rotten. If you can find out which days the produce is delivered and buy it then, the produce is fresh and excellent. If you buy it after it has been in the store a few days, you had better eat it fast - I think it gets handled too much and bruises/goes bad quicker.

The basics are excellent. The cheese is fine if it is going to be melted into something, but not so tasty eaten off the block. We think the peanut butter is too sweet, but I know others who say Aldi peanut butter is their favorite. I have had good luck with all of the frozen products I have tried. There is absolutely no cheaper place to buy chips. I know that the favorite local caterer in my town uses Aldi angel food cake loaves as the basis for their signature dessert.
#17 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love Aldi's!
#18 of 28 Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM

I really like shopping at Aldi's. I think they do have good prices,and the food is quite decent. Shop there for a week on and off.Compare the grocery bills and the food quality.
#19 of 28 Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesong55 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think Sunday when we get back from camping I'm taking a road trip. Unfortunately there's not a trader joes around here.

Did you make it to Aldi today? What did you think?

I'm heading there tomorrow for some of the silicone mats

#20 of 28 Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I went today. I was really happy with the prices. I will definitely be making it part of if not my main stop from now on.

Thanks for all the replies!
#21 of 28 Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 PM

I think some Aldi's are ok and some, not so much. I know people that love Aldi's. But I used to live near one and it was, frankly, disgusting. It was dirty, the food wasn't fresh, just eww. I wouldn't shop there after going in a couple times. I now live in a different town and several people swear that our Aldi's here is nice, but I've never tried it because the other one made such a bad impression. Personally I love Trader Joe's. Quality and organic selection almost on par with Whole Foods, but SO much cheaper! Sorry to read you don't have one near you; maybe you will get one as they are always expanding (we only got ours about two years ago!).
#22 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fyi aldi and trader joe's are owned by the same family. one brother owns aldi, the other tj's. wish we had a tj's! here, the aldi's are great for everything except meat, and save-a-lot is better for that. our aldi's are new, though, so no chance to be dirty yet. save a lot grinds their beef fresh in the store, and one of ours gets in random meats like free range buffalo brats, and rabbit. oh, sometimes aldi stocks an occaisional organic, too. both are worth paying close attention to the shelves, for things that change. if you are making the trip, i'd got to both stores. also, i saw a 60 minutes expose, and the save-a-lot was cleaner than kroger and other major stores. also, here, often the meats are solution free, so fewer chemicals added to them (though of course they are mostly the stuff we'd all ideally eschew).
#23 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Well, I checked out Aldi's today and it was not bad. I didn't have too much time to look and write down everything, but there were a few items that we could stock up on. They actually had a marinara sauce for 1.79 that has olive oil as it's only oil, which is really hard to find and a great price. It is out of the way, so I think I will make it a point to stop there on the rare occasion that I am driving by. It would be worth it to stock up on 15 lbs of butter for a $15 savings.
#24 of 28 Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM

I love Aldi. Sometimes, though, they won't have everything I need...Like one time I went to get stuff for spaghetti, and they had sauce, but were out of noodles...lol So I had to make a quick stop at Kroger across the street.

I've had good luck with the produce at the location near me. Before I started growing my own tomatoes, it was the only place I could get them for less than $3.00/lb.
#25 of 28 Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTittlemouse View Post
Well, I checked out Aldi's today and it was not bad. I didn't have too much time to look and write down everything, but there were a few items that we could stock up on. They actually had a marinara sauce for 1.79 that has olive oil as it's only oil, which is really hard to find and a great price. It is out of the way, so I think I will make it a point to stop there on the rare occasion that I am driving by. It would be worth it to stock up on 15 lbs of butter for a $15 savings.
That sauce didn't have HFCS either, did it? I went last night and checked it out. they have a lot more kosher certified stuff than the last time I went. It will definitely be worth it to go more often.

Also, they had collapsible yard waste barrels for $6.99. I bought three for our yard waste (we can load them and dump them at the town's composting pile and then repeat as necessary). They are really heavy duty and strong. When my 18yo saw them he asked if they were for the recycling (which he has to haul to the center ). We thought that was a great idea and dh went to get three more tonight for recycling.
#26 of 28 Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Wow, I just looked at the bottle and it doesn't have any added sugar at all. It is only one flavor of their Grandessa sauce variety- the Chunky Marinara. It was in a box with several other varieties and for some reason I could only find this one bottle! There was one more that I spotted at the very back and bottom of the stack of boxes, but I didn't have the nerve to unstack everything.
#27 of 28 Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM

The one I go to has a lot of Dutch (?) labeled food which I have found does not have hfcs or pho in it. I go there a couple times a month and stock up on stuff to put in lunch boxes. I don't generally buy meat there, but I get baking supplies, snacks, etc.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#28 of 28 Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM

It's German, Deutsche Kuche (I don't know how to do an umlaut). I like that they do different international foods some weeks. I like to buy a case of something when they do that. I have a case of water chestnuts and a case of green chilies in the pantry right now. In Germany they did also did Greek week. I really miss that one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page