Pants that will last for DS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In order to save money, I would like to get my sons a couple of pairs of pants that will not blow out at the knees after a couple of months. The jeans and sweats we have seem to have this problem. Any brands better than others better for lasting, and therefore stretching my $$?
#2 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 AM

If he's wearing them out well before he's outgrowing them, you might consider Sears. I really don't know if their kids' clothes are the best value and quality for the money, but I do know that if you sign up for their Kidvantage program (or something like that) they guarantee them and will replace them (with the same size) if they wear out before your child outgrows them. I've never used the program, but I know it exists and might be worth checking into.
#3 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 03:12 AM

I was also going to suggest the Sears program

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My boys wear these almost exclusively:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/OpenBottomClimberPants~146358_1189.html?bcc=y&acti on=order_more&sku_0=:ND&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000 000328&origin=index

They often run good sales, so I normally pay $9-16 and get free shipping by searching for a shipping code when purchasing.

My boys are HARD on pants and I have never had a pair of these blow out. And I cut them off when they get too short and make them into shorts, so we usually get 2 winters and 2 summers out of them.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#5 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM

I came on to suggest Sears too!

Mama to three

#6 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 AM

My daughter is still growing too quickly to wear out pants before they're outgrown. However, I try to buy good quality pants to last through both kids.

I've liked oshkosh pants in the past, and they are currently running a "buy one, get one free" for quite a few pairs of their jeans (all marked at $20 each, so $10 a pair). The shipping is only free if you order more than $75 worth of clothing, but it's actually not that expensive ($6) even if you don't make the minimum.

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#7 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

http://www.landsend.com/pp/OpenBottomClimberPants~146358_1189.html?bcc=y&acti on=order_more&sku_0=:ND&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000 000328&origin=index

They often run good sales, so I normally pay $9-16 and get free shipping by searching for a shipping code when purchasing.

My boys are HARD on pants and I have never had a pair of these blow out. And I cut them off when they get too short and make them into shorts, so we usually get 2 winters and 2 summers out of them.
Thank you for the tip! I love Lands' End and my five-year old boy is starting to get really hard on pants. They're getting harder to find second-hand, too.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#8 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 PM

I watch the Lands End overstocks site.

dd is very hard on pants and doesn't like jeans or anything with buttons/snap waist. She wants to wear knits only. She can blow out the cheap ones from Target or Walmart in about 3 weeks.
#9 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 PM

I sew patches on the insides of pants knees to help them last longer. You can get denim patches at the fabric store or cannibalize an old pair.

Land's End jeans are really good quality and have lasted well for my boy. If yours is size 4-6 and husky, they have the double-kneed jeans in clearance for $7.99 right now. http://www.landsend.com/pp/OpenBotto...8&origin=index
#10 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 AM

Children's Place clothing always lasted really well for me. Best if you have a mall nearby with an outlet store for better prices!

Resistance is futile Matey
#11 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 AM

Lee sells jeans with a reinforced knee. DS has so far never managed to blow out the knee. I got him 3 pairs at 15 dollars each and they've been great.

HTH.
#12 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

DS1 has blown these out too, but it took a great deal of effort on his part and they are some of my favorites.
#13 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As someone else mentioned Lee brand jeans have a reinforced knee (almost like it comes pre-patched on the inside). They have been a lifesaver for us but they only go up to size 8. I used to get mine at Kohls, which always has sales and extra discount cards showing up in the mail.
#14 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 11:15 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadonna View Post
If he's wearing them out well before he's outgrowing them, you might consider Sears. I really don't know if their kids' clothes are the best value and quality for the money, but I do know that if you sign up for their Kidvantage program (or something like that) they guarantee them and will replace them (with the same size) if they wear out before your child outgrows them. I've never used the program, but I know it exists and might be worth checking into.
You have to keep your receipt and tags.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM

I have 3 boys, so I know how fast they can put holes in their knees (would you get off the floor?!). I would recommend Gap jeans, b/c they seem to hold up better than other brands - except you have to get the thicker ones and not the ones that are pre-worn - I hate the ones that are holey when you buy them - I know it was the style for a while, but my boys do not need any help thinning out their jeans. The only thing is that if you don't buy them on sale, you'll end up being irritated that even though they lasted more than a couple weeks, they still ended up with holes. At least if I buy them with a coupon + sale I don't feel so bummed if I can't pass them down to a younger DS.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 AM

My older DS blew the knees out of every single pair of pants last year. I ended up getting denim patches and putting them on the inside and outside of every pair. Easy to replace and cheap - and I could spruce up thrift store pants w/ them.
#17 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Some one recommended Children's Place, but I was going to say DON'T get those...maybe it's just my experience, but those are the ONLY brand that my son has blown out the knees in.

I agree with Gap jeans (the thicker ones). Those were able to be passed down, child to child.

I like Lee and Wrangler too...I think my MIL has found them at Kohls.
#18 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Children's Place clothing always lasted really well for me. Best if you have a mall nearby with an outlet store for better prices!
I agree with TCP pants and even Carter's - both very similiar. www.carters.com has outlet prices and TCP always has coupons!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page