Where do you keep your safety net/living expenses (what type of account?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wondering where people are keeping their X months supply of living expenses. Ours are currently at ING because we started there when they actually had an interest rate to be excited about. I have looked and things are still pretty bleak out there in terms of gaining interest. I've looked at CDs also, same thing.

Am I missing anything or should I just sit tight and hope things change? I just hate having more than 10K sitting there doing nothing....
#2 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm keeping mine in my Tax Free Savings account right now.
#3 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Mine is in ING as well.

Although yes, the interest rate is dismal, interest rates across the board are low, so it's not like ING is holding out on us, take your issues up with the federal reserve...

Alas, the purpose of that money is to be there when needed. it's purpose is not to earn some great interest rate/ return. This is not investment money, it's emergency money.

my .02 cents
#4 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM

The bulk of our mid-term savings ("x" months worth of essential living expenses) is in an account with Capital One through Costco's website. The interest rate is higher than our ING account (short-term savings) and the CapOne account earns a quarterly bonus and we received cash for opening the account and funding it within a period of time (which we left in the account).

The rest is invested in a variety of ways (stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, etc.).

DH & I had 401k accounts with certain jobs and rolled them over and they are still invested and growing. Neither of us has access to a 401k now, though, so we can only invest $5K per year each into our Roth IRAs for retirement.

While our mid-term savings is intended to support us in the event of job loss or other major need during our earning years, it will also help support us in our retirement years. We need this money to grow, so I invest a percentage of it. I have a degree in finance and worked in securities and banking for years. My risk tolerance is higher than average. YMMV

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
Mine is in ING as well.

Although yes, the interest rate is dismal, interest rates across the board are low, so it's not like ING is holding out on us, take your issues up with the federal reserve...

Alas, the purpose of that money is to be there when needed. it's purpose is not to earn some great interest rate/ return. This is not investment money, it's emergency money.

my .02 cents

ING has one of the better interest rates that I have found.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#6 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 AM

Also with ING

#7 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 AM

Ours is in a money market account (Capital One). We wanted to have checks in order to have the money available in an emergency instead of waiting 3 days for a transfer.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 AM

Online Savings with American Express
#9 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 AM

Money Market Mutual Fund. Vanguard's Prime Market account.
#10 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM

My emergency fund is partially in an e-bank account and the rest in a mutual fund. I pay a fee upfront (well that is before they got rid of the B stock, which has no fee after 6 years) so if I need the money from the mutual fund, the fee is already paid...

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#11 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Another ING'er. I'm interested in the Costco account though. I'm always amazed at all the services that Costco has.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#12 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Guessing you have to be a member of Costco for the account? My MIL is a member, but we are not. Wonder if we could sign up during a 30-day free trial membership?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#13 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

ING, but I'm checking out that Capital One account via Costco right now. I'm always looking for more incentives to keep our membership. If I went with Capital One (looks like I will), I would get rid of my ING account.

Sunnysandiegan has been holding out on us!
#14 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Ours is just with out local bank. We might move it to ING or somewhere else in search of a slightly better rate, but our bank is pretty competitive. No matter what it stays liquid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#15 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
ING, but I'm checking out that Capital One account via Costco right now. I'm always looking for more incentives to keep our membership. If I went with Capital One (looks like I will), I would get rid of my ING account.

Sunnysandiegan has been holding out on us!

I've been mentioning it in this forum since August 2009. We've had excellent customer service and are satisfied customers with this account and Costco, in general.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

I've been mentioning it in this forum since August 2009. We've had excellent customer service and are satisfied customers with this account and Costco, in general.
Lies! All lies! :nana I obviously missed it and had no idea they had such a thing.

I'm a fan of Costco, but I always look to make the most of the membership cost. This is a good way to do it. Thanks for sharing (again ).
#17 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
Lies! All lies! :nana I obviously missed it and had no idea they had such a thing.

I'm a fan of Costco, but I always look to make the most of the membership cost. This is a good way to do it. Thanks for sharing (again ).
It is my pleasure.

I do the same thing with making the most of the membership cost and we didn't even have our own membership until a few years ago. I was able to go with one friend or another and get the same deals without paying the annual fee. Eventually, we found enough reasons to join ourselves and we took my dad with us for a year or two before he wanted new tires and decided to join on his own.

#18 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Our local credit union has a deal where they will pay 4% on the first 25k. But you have to have 15 debit card transactions on the acct.

DH is studious about making sure we have all the transactions, but so far it seems worth it.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#19 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM

We keep a bit in our local bank in a savings account and the rest in a high-yield saving account with Sallie Mae. I think we're getting 1.4% interest.
#20 of 22 Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post

I have not given the interest in my savings account / emergency fund a second thought, because like the PP said, the point of that money is not an investment but to be easily accessible in case of an emergency.

So I pay bills and conduct household business out of an interest-bearing checking account at Charter One bank, and I always keep a $1000 cushion in that account.

Our baby emergency fund is a money market account at our local credit union.  We keep that at $10,000, give-or-take, and only pay big / infrequent bills out of that, like car insurance and annual life insurance premiums.

After we pay off the rest of our debt we will bump up the credit union account to a true emergency fund ($30k ?!?), THEN think about investing.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#21 of 22 Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

3/4 of my emergency fund is in ING, 1/4 in my checking account. My goal is to bulk up the ING so that it's the full amount of a six-month EF for my family, and then the checking account money is just pure cushion and I don't feel guilty or anxious if I dip into it for a vacation or large purchase, just as long as I build it back up. 

#22 of 22 Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm with ING as well.  Have been for years! Their customer service rocks.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page