November 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So.

DH got denied for disability, again. I don't get it. He is legally blind by two doctors opinions. WHY doesn't SS think he's blind? Time to lawyer up.

And the company that holds my husband's money decided they weren't going to talk to him about anything without express approval from his aunt.

So I sent her a nice little email giving her one last chance to cooperate before I get a lawyer. (Which I hope I don't have to do because I can't afford one and I don't know if Legal Aid will cover this. lol)

BUT, I finally got a new caseworker and she worked my food stamps for me and I should have them again tomorrow morning, plus with my husband's drastic reduction in hours, we might get even more than we did.

And I am going to go apply for LIHEAP tomorrow. I am trying everything I can to stay afloat until my husband's hours pick up in a few weeks.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#62 of 105 Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

How on earth can it be the middle of the month all ready?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#63 of 105 Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Somewhere in between when I watched the person who does my schedule put in my overnight shifts, and tonight when I went in to work (actually in between when it was put in and when it was finalized), my overnight shifts for this week were cut back out, leaving me just 16 hours, half what I usually work. The Asst manager who makes the schedules for overnights just said, "Sorry to hear that, you have to work what's scheduled."

I know it's not actually his fault, the District Manager has been breathing down necks so they've been VERY tight on payroll/schedules at our store for a couple of months now.

But I have no clue how we're going to make rent.

Okay, I looked at my budget, and we can make rent, as long as we don't pay the TV/phone/internet bill. Which means I get to call Qwest tomorrow and beg off paying them until my next payday, the 9th...

I hate this.

I wish I'd seen it sooner. If I'd spotted it right after the schedule was posted (last week), I might have been able to talk someone into fixing it. If not, I could have actually, oh, spent time with DD today instead of spending half of it asleep so I could work tonight.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#64 of 105 Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Ravin- I feel your pain, that happens to me on occassion with my job.  Shifts will get cancelled for no reason (im a sub) and it irks me to NO end. 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#65 of 105 Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 AM

I just hope it doesn't happen next month. Even once DH's UI kicks in, things are just SO tight here.

At least we can go on a grocery shopping spree on the 2nd.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#66 of 105 Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Hey mamas! I haven't checked in here in a while. I am 40 weeks today and am going nuts as this is the longest I have ever been pregnant. I went into labor early in the am on Sunday and made it to 4 cm and have been hanging out there ever since. RRL tea was making my contractions a bit stronger, but now I have run out and can't get any more :(. I have gone on tons of long walks and as much sex/orgasm as possible. Things pick up for a few hours then go back to normal. My birth pool is taking up like half of my tiny apartment, but I am afraid that if we take it down, that will be when I need it, lol. The two older kiddos have been with their dad for this reason. Other good news is baby's daddy is going to be at the birth. I knew all was not lost for him, lol. He keeps telling me I am hoarding the baby from him now since Sunday though. He seems more impatient to meet this new little one than even I am, which is really funny. Anyways, send some good active labor vibes for me.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#67 of 105 Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 PM

I would like to join please.

We are almost debt free-but except for the house. (Only 22 more years to go! huh.gif )

Dh's hours were cut and he lost $6 an hour to stay employed.

We are barely making it each month.

Have no clue for Christmas. I've applied at Salvation Army so I hope that will work out.

I am thankful for:

My wonderful healthy children!

My hard working man

Our home

Our food

Our clothes

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#68 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 AM

Today was a good day (friday).  We stayed in jammies all day and practied relaxation.  Saturday DS has drama class and I hope to get some crocheting done.  Actually finishing a project would be great.

We are leaving Weds for a week's vacation that is a great gift from my cousin to see her and the family.  I love my cousin for this wonderful opportunity.

Oh I forgot DS and I have tickets to see 'The Grinch Who Stole Christmas' Saturday night... he is elated.  As a super special treat we are also going to have dinner out (with a coupon of course!)  and DS and I wearing our super special holiday clothes  LOL....

#69 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM

We went and saw Harry Potter last night. Yay for gift certificates! DD is at the grandparents', so even though I'm heading to work on only 3 hrs sleep, I can take a nice, long nap when I get home.

Going to talk to the asst Mgr about the CSM (front-end supervisor) position opening up. Wish me luck. Not that I especially want to go full time, but we could SURE use the money.

Speaking of which, went to DES yesterday to file proof of changes. So DH and DD qualify for medicaid for this month, but assuming DH's UI comes through, won't for next month. Barring income increases they should once the baby comes, though. Oh, and our food stamp allotment that starts on the 2nd was upped from $202 to $256. So even if we have trouble making our bills, we'll have PLENTY to eat. I'll even be able to restock our depleted pantry.

#70 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM

My new job is going well and the language thing hasn't been a issue much so far. I felt fine all this morning and now all of a sudden vomitting all over the place. I have work tonight from 3-8 so I am just going to have to go sick as this store is so small there is only 2 of us so if one isn't working the other has to be. Anyways, just wanted to update.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#71 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Hugs Avery, hope you feel better

#72 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Hi Ladies. I stumbled onto this thread when I was looking for something else. I am so glad that I did. It is so hard to find a forum where you do not feel like the odd woman out because you are a low income family. It always seems like there is no one else out there who has the same issues or at least they are not brutally honest about them.

Anyway...

We are a family of 6, although part of the year my two older kids live with their father. We live on about 1400. a month from my husband's income. We just moved to a new state and we are trying to get back on our feet after a disasterous two years in Florida. We are in so much debt to family members who have kept us afloat while we struggled to try and make things work in Florida. In the end we hated it there so it was sort of a relief when we lost our house and could leave.

Right now things are really hard. Our van died at the start of the month and we could not afford to fix it. Thank goodness my grandmother took care of it for us. We only know ONE person in the entire state of Alabama so it is not like we can just call someone for a ride.

I am working for ChaCha as much as I can because I need to make the money to transport my sons up to their father in New England for Christmas. When we were moving I messed up my checking account really badly by accident (used the wrong debit card to pay for something and did not realize it until I spent the other money) so there went all my child support deposits for the last two months. I am not too fast on ChaCha (I see we have another ChaCha Guide on here!) and there are so many distractions and demands on my time.

We were also waiting on approval for food assistance. Last week we were finally approved but the card is not here yet. My husband's check had to go to pay all the bills and of course he missed some work when we moved and then again when our van died so it is tight. I am having to dig up money for food since we ran through all the food that we started with. Every time I get a good stash of money saved for our trip north I have to spend it on food. Ugh! It is so frustrating.

We don't even want to talk about Christmas!

On a good note this time of having less has really made us appreciate everything we do have. Each day that we do have food is a blessing, even if we have had to settle for cheap margarine instead of butter and eat spaghetti three times a week. I can't even tell you what a blessing it is just to know we were approved for food assistance, it takes such a weight off knowing that soon I can feed my family some better food. It is not our favorite thing to have to get help but you gotta do what you gotta do to get by.

If any of you are Alabama Mommas could you tell me how long it took to get your food card in the mail? According to the automated line we were approved on the 13th and the benefit was available on the 16th.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#73 of 105 Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 PM

We had a super time at 'The Grinch' tonight.  The play was awesome and DS loved it!!  Im so glad I spent the $ on the tickets (discount code of course). 

We went out for dinner at a real restaurant and I had the usual problems.  I got charged for DS drink even though he had a kids meal...  AND I had a coupon for a free kids meal so either way his should've been FREE... that just makes me soooo mad...But I figure if you cant get the bill right it saves me a buck or 2 off your tip.

Overall DS and I had a great evening out and a great day.

#74 of 105 Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I don't post on here much even though we are low income.  We usually do just fine with the help of food stamps and budgeting, so I can't complain.   I really can't complain now either, but I'm sure all you other mamas know that this time of year is very stressful to be lower incomed.  Not only because of Thanksgiving and Christmas expenses, I have a lot of birthdays as well.  It just seems there is so much to do this time of year and not a lot of time to do it in, ya know?  It's harder to keep track of all the expenses too.  I've done the budget and we will be able to eek by this holiday season with little pain.  YAY!  But I do hate that lately little expenses keep coming up that I forgot about.  Like tonight, I have to have hubby run out for butter, sour cream, saran wrap, and cheesecloth for Thanksgiving dinner needs.  I should have realized that I'd be getting in over my head covering all the side dishes this year!  Then there is the worry about my husband needing to clear up a years' old fine in CA so he can get his license renewed by the end of this month (pray he can get another extension!), which will cause extra stress and money.  I'm just trying to take it easy since I'm about to pop out a baby boy any day now.  Thankfully the hospital is close by. 

#75 of 105 Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 AM

Need a little more luck, going to talk to the Asst Mgr to see if they've made a decision about that CSM position. If I don't get it, the daytime Asst Mgr has said he can give me a full 32 hours in the cash office each week, which would be great for taking away the uncertainty over how many hours I'm getting, and lovely from a sleep standpoint, but I'd lose my $1/hr overnight differential. It's still less money to lose than a full 8-12 hrs. of pay in a week if my hours are shorted.

Really, despite the difficulty of overnights, I'd rather have the CSM position, which is full time (38-40 hrs/wk and slightly better benefits, including sick pay and disability insurance) and has a $.50/hr raise over what I'm making now as well.

#76 of 105 Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM

ravin- keep us posted.... thinking of you today!

#77 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 AM

Thanks, Zebra!

Overnight Asst Mgr is dragging his heels on the CSM thing; as far as I can tell, they're not even going to address it until after Black Friday craziness is over with. He did ask one of the overnight cashiers if she wanted it, and she told him no, flat out. She's an older lady and said she doesn't want the responsibility, plain and simple. There is the unspoken reservation about me being pregnant that might keep them from giving it to me, that and not wanting to add anyone to the full-time rolls right now. So it's still up in the air, but it looks like I've at least got my 32 hours this week and next.

In the mean time, DW#2's mom called her yesterday and let her know their power got shut off. Their house has been foreclosed on and they have to be out by the end of December; they have no income besides food stamps right now. Her mom's been trying to get SSI for like 2 years, her stepdad had a stroke a few months ago, and her 18 yo sister who lives with them just found a job, but she can hardly support the 3 of them on her own. I agreed to have DW#2 give me $20 less than usual for her share of rent/utilities so she'd have enough to get her mom's electricity turned back on.

That left us $40 short on rent and our Qwest bill still unpaid, except I went and sold some gold jewelry I had sitting around--a class ring from my jr year of high school from a school I wound up not actually graduating from, and a bracelet I bought in Bahrain in 2001 back when I was in the service with money to burn.

So now we have enough for me to meet my volunteer obligations, catch up the bills, pay my law school application fee, and probably fix at least the immediate problems with the van, and with $40 budgeted for gifts next month our December budget actually balances. Yay!

Of course, that's a one time hat trick. No more gold stashed anywhere. Still, it takes the edge off holiday stress.

#78 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM

How do you all handle felling deprived? :(

It seems like everytime I save some money for extras bills or something, I end up spending it on wish list stuff.....like a new curriculum piece for homeschooling or a cute shirt for one of my kids.

I can't seem to control it.  I feel so guilty about not having money.  I don't want them to suffer or "feel" poor so I overstrtch myself making sure that they get what I think is important for them to have.  Sigh.

I am just worried about this as the holidays come up. :(

Anyone relate?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#79 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks Zebra! Work is still going okay but it has quickly turned from a part time job to a full time job. Oh well the money is nice. I am working all day on Thanksgiving from 9am-7pm so we are going to hit up my sisters after work but still a bummer time to work.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#80 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, definitely. In fact I did this over the last few days. Spending what should have gone to savings or bills on things I think we "need".

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#81 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM

I can relate all to well! My daughters two teeth fell out yesterday we are broke as in not even a penny so I had to tell her the tooth fairy comes only on weekends for us. I get paid tomorrow and still won't have money to give her but feel like I HAVE to. I struggle with spending to much money that we don't have because I feel deprived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

It seems like everytime I save some money for extras bills or something, I end up spending it on wish list stuff.....like a new curriculum piece for homeschooling or a cute shirt for one of my kids.

I can't seem to control it.  I feel so guilty about not having money.  I don't want them to suffer or "feel" poor so I overstrtch myself making sure that they get what I think is important for them to have.  Sigh.

Anyone relate?

#82 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

So I reapplied for food stamps the other day and shared that my husband's new income is LESS than his old income. I got approved and had money on my card the next day. She did ask me during that time about my son who I have joint custody of (and have for 3 years).

I got my approval letter this morning and it says we are getting $100 LESS each month than we did last time we got food stamps and he makes like $500 less a month. Then I saw why, they took my son off the case!

DS's dad does not get food stamps and never has. I have had joint custody of him (exactly 50/50) for three years. He can still be on my case right? I called my worker but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#83 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Could the tooth fairy leave a nice note for her -- maybe written with calligraphy or just your best handwriting -- and sprinkled with a little glitter? If possible, you could even include a little trinket. I think most little girls would enjoy something personalized more than cash.

We buy inexpensive little trinkets from US Toy for 10 - 15 cents each (you do have to buy most things by the dozen) to use for things like this. They have little plastic or rubber animals, miniature activity books, bracelet/necklace making kits (elastic cord and beads with instructions) and a lot of other very, very inexpensive treats that probably make great tooth fairy gifts. I know it's too late for this particular tooth fairy visit but it might be useful in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

I can relate all to well! My daughters two teeth fell out yesterday we are broke as in not even a penny so I had to tell her the tooth fairy comes only on weekends for us. I get paid tomorrow and still won't have money to give her but feel like I HAVE to. I struggle with spending to much money that we don't have because I feel deprived.

#84 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

Anyone relate?

I can! Last Christmas was TERRIBLE for me. We had just gone from comfortably middle class to really, really struggling because I lost the ability to work full time (I'd been a freelance writer). We had to empty out our savings account to pay for my medical expenses (I was diagnosed with MS just before Thanksgiving). We had planned to get DD a big widescreen TV that doubled as a computer monitor, a Nintendo Wii and some games for it for Christmas. She wound up getting barely anything from us. I remember sobbing miserably at our "ruined" Christmas about a week before the actual holiday, and DD came in to comfort me (she was 5 y/o) and told me that it didn't matter, that she had *me* and her Dad and that's what really mattered.

She wound up getting almost nothing from us... just a few trinkets and things, maybe $10 worth of gifts in total. But she really enjoyed those little trinkets and the gifts she got from the rest of the family, so it worked out well. Later, we had a bit of a windfall and I used a portion of it to purchase the gifts we had planned to get her for Christmas, even though we really should have put it in savings or used it for something more practical. Oh, well... I felt better because she did get the gifts I had promised her, even though it was several months late.

That said, this Christmas will be a lean one as well. I've been poor for most of my adult life.. I spent about two years with a comfortable middle class income, which ended around October 2009. Hoping to get to that point again someday, but meanwhile, it's kind of tough... hard to resist the urge to buy STUFF that my DD would love, but all of those little purchases add up so I try hard not to. I do slip up sometimes.. I blew $25 on a new bathrobe for DD a few days ago. Christmas is going to be *rough*. To buy everything I really want to get for people would cost close to $1,000 and if I really work my butt off, we *might* be able to spend half that. Maybe, but I doubt it. $250 is more realistic for our total Christmas budget this year.

We do have a VERY lean Christmas budget for family, on par with what they spend on us (except for the in-laws, we can't even come close to matching their spending.. they go kind of crazy with the gifts). In general we spend $10 per person on our extended family, so roughly $100 total. I wish some of them were kids, because I could put together some really sweet gift bags using things from US Toy that would cost almost nothing (there are a lot of 10-15 cent trinkets there). (Yes, a lot of the stuff there is cheap plastic but there are some gems like miniature activity books that cost less than $2.00 for a dozen).

One thing we do to cut down on expenses for gifts for extended family is to give family gift baskets or care packages instead of individual gifts. We include some nicely wrapped, homemade foods, some small gourmet/exotic food items from a local store, some nice soaps or lotions, etc., taking into account the tastes and preferences of the family we are giving the gifts to. Homemade things are the best choice for our in-laws as they are wealthy and can buy whatever they want, but they don't have the time or skill to do much cooking. So they really enjoy things like my homemade truffles and other homemade treats.

We're definitely going to have to get creative this year! I'm glad you posted because it got me thinking about how we'll handle Christmas this year...

--K

#85 of 105 Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't really feel deprived. I just know I can't go out and do things that cost $, and I don't do retail shopping hardly ever... over the years it has gotten easier as we've had to live on much less income and you kind of learn as you go. I am lucky that my town always has cool free activities for our family to do. Like last weekend was the holiday parade, and one of the moms from our local group wanted us all to go out to brunch before hand, but 2 other moms said they couldn't swing it, so I offered to have a potluck brunch at my house and it was so yummy and fun!

I have always been crafty and artistic, so most of my gifts are homemade anyway, and I don't have to give many extended family gifts for the holidays b/c my whole side of the family is passed away, and DH's side are all crazy and we've decided to stay away from their toxicity for awhile so no gifts for them, lol! So really, it's all about the kids, which is how it has been with them the last few years at least, since everyone is struggling now.

I know I just don't/can't buy STUFF. IF I do, I'm looking at craigslist, ebay, pawn shops, good will etc first if I need a big item or clothes. I also LOVE to trade, and I trade everything from craft swaps to babysitting, to professional photography to food... and kids clothes are mostly hand me downs or trades, I did splurge about $50 on ebay this season for some winter coats, and 4 other clothes items, which is very unusual for me, usually people just give us clothes, or I trade for folks to make us dresses or cool tee shirts.

I can always find fun things to do, of course it sucks that I can't travel to friend's weddings, or for family vacations, but someday when we are making good $ we will travel again.

I also don't like that I can't put my kids in extracurriculars I want, but both have gotten scholarships from their schools for drama and jewelry club, so at least they have something to do. If I can get my paperwork together I will apply at the YMCA one of these days, too.. though we probably won't join unless they really lower the fees for us.

Try to find the FREE FUN out there- it's all around.. or go out and make your own fun, and you wont feel so deprived.

I also don't do much for me, myself, but this semester I did go to the salon at the community college and had my hair dyed, and got a free hair cut, and my eyebrows waxed. Next semester I want to go back for a massage and a facial.

We don't have savings, but I know that I can't just go and buy stuff I don't need either... just can't. I'd rather declutter anyway.. there is too much stuff here to begin with.

So recently I've been dealing with my DH's family; his mom and sister, who are just crazy and toxic and his mom came to visit saying she wanted to 'help' us and take care of the kids and clean so we could study- I didn't believe it, didn't want her here, we've been having alot of stress on our own and didn't need her.. so she took our kids out for the day, which was very nice, took them to chuck e cheese, told them she'd be here all wknd to spend time with THEM, and then immediately upon returning from her day out with them told us to take her home (an hour away and her car broke down so we would have to take her).. don't know what set her off this time, but I'm sure it's something DH or I did, who knows, she's sweet then sour.. so my son then asks, "why granma? Are we bad? Do you not like us??" And I just lost it.. I told her I am done and I am not going to talk to her again.. I'm really trying not to... she is not good for us.. she also told us that week we were horrible parents, bad students, and didn't deserve our children... so I cut her out and told her don't expect to come for Thanksgiving or Christmas.. and I'm serious. I am not one to talk this way, ever.. my family was not like this at all.. didn't fight, didn't blame or lay empty threats.. we talked about stuff and respected each other.. it makes me sad that this is the only grandparent in my kid's lives and now I have to cut her out of our lives to protect my children's mental health...

Then the sister's got on us.. the one she lives with called to see if 'only the kids could come over for thanksgiving' and the other one is sending me wretched horrible emails telling me she is going to fly down here and knock me out if I ever disrespect her mom again.. yup, they are all nuts.. so anyway.. sorry to dump all that but it really takes up so much time and energy in life to deal with drama freaks.. I really try not to associate with folks like that.. but again, they are so called family so it's complicated, although I've been a part of them for 8 years now and it's never changed, no matter how much I try to recreate the holidays and special times I had with my family, it just can't be done, so I'd rather create my own family from my friends, and for the first time I'm realising that is O.K. and I can let these folks go and be happy and not have to walk on eggshells just so my kids can have a grandparent.

So we are doing our own thanksgiving, our family, some of our bachelor friends, and my single mama friend who's kids are best buddies with my kids.. so no parents to impress or respect, and just good, lazy, eating fun. orngbiggrin.gif Got my free turkey from Ingles reward points, too. thumb.gif

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#86 of 105 Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 AM

subbing

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#87 of 105 Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Thank you for the ideas! I am going to buy some stuff from the place you mentioned for different times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanyavel View Post

Could the tooth fairy leave a nice note for her -- maybe written with calligraphy or just your best handwriting -- and sprinkled with a little glitter? If possible, you could even include a little trinket. I think most little girls would enjoy something personalized more than cash.

We buy inexpensive little trinkets from US Toy for 10 - 15 cents each (you do have to buy most things by the dozen) to use for things like this. They have little plastic or rubber animals, miniature activity books, bracelet/necklace making kits (elastic cord and beads with instructions) and a lot of other very, very inexpensive treats that probably make great tooth fairy gifts. I know it's too late for this particular tooth fairy visit but it might be useful in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

#88 of 105 Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM

I personally don't feel deprived myself but I do feel like my kids are often deprived. We have never been able to afford for them to play a sport or take a lesson. We can not afford much for homeschooling, our work is very bare bones. We don't have much for arts and crafts and we can't go on field trips that are not free. I feel like my kids miss out on a lot of things that other homeschoolers get to do because we are so poor. Two years ago we moved for a job opportunity that we hoped would end this deprivation, instead we were plunged into a WORSE financial situation. Each time things look up something literally happens to knock us back down. For instance last month it was having our only vehicle die and need towing and repair. This month it is a 264 traffic ticket I got in the mail for accidently going under a red light when we were moving (I was behind the moving truck and could not see that the light had turned yellow when my husband went through in the moving truck).

I am really happy because I was able to go and get groceries yesterday. I stocked the pantries to the gills and bought thanksgiving stuff. You do not even know how thankful we are to have food on our table. I am happy to be able let my kids take a little extra food at breakfast and to have choices of what we eat. I got to eat salad today at lunch! It was glorious!

Has anyone here ever used the holiday cash advance from H&R Block? I have to transport my boys to their father in about 2 weeks and we have to pay all our bills and that ticket in two weeks. We do not even have near enough money for all of that. Never mind buying a single gift for the kids. I guess they start doing the loans on the 6th. I think we are going to try and get one. We have always gotten the tax refund anticipation loans each year with out a problem but I was wondering if they are more strict with these ones?

Does anyone here line dry only? What do you do when it is cold and/or gloomy outside? I have a dryer but it is not hooked up because we need the money to have an electrician come put in a plug. When it is cold and gloomy the laundry stacks up for days. I have a small rack and a small bar I can hang things on but it dries slow in here too since we do not have heat yet. We have a little portable heater. I guess I could park the drying rack next to that.

Well back to slave away at ChaCha. I need to get that done and then finish cleaning for Thanksgiving. I have worked so much lately that my house is a disaster.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#89 of 105 Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Here, even when it's cold it's dry, so line drying year round is very do-able. That said, I've been using our dryer more since we aren't running the A/C (or heat, yet).

I sometimes feel a little deprived, but really, the worst is when I have deprive DD. I'd told her, for example, I'd get her into tumbling lessons this winter, but with DH losing his job, even the 25% fee for city lessons is too much, so I had to put her off.

I was just sitting here thinking about what we DO have: each other. Last year, DH was in jail on work furlough, which meant we only saw him a few minutes a day. This year, he's home. That alone makes such a difference!

#90 of 105 Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 AM

I am giddy with the Christmas spirit!!!!

I don't usually feel deprived....dh and I grew up on welfare....so we get it...kids are too young to feel deprived :)

What sucks:

- any relatives are 2000 miles away :(

- just got a bill for $1000 from taxes ( could not afford someone to do them so I messed them up myself...grrrr)

- waiting for a bill from taxes to pay back some child allowance (grrr again)

- ds chipped his front tooth and dd is sick and dh work will not let him off to take 3 yr old to dentist

- way too much debt to deal with...suffering from head in the sand moments

- seeing our neighbours houses decorated fancy and hearing about their holidays or the gift they are going to buy for their kids and getting pitiful looks at our stuff...grrr

WHAT ROCKS:

- mothering.com homade holiday gift ideas!!!! (totally turned my frown upside down)

- the fact that I haven't thrown out any torn or outgrown clothing in ages....it is my material stash for Christmas!!

- my kids are young enough that they they will be over the moon getting a pop bottle bowling game for Christmas

- that I grew up on welfare and have fond memories of welfare day celebrations....salad...milk...tuna...WOW!! so I know that you don't need much to make kids blissfully happy!!

- that we broke the welfare cycle that most of our famillies are still on...even though it meant taking a job we deplore

- the fact that my husband loves our family o soooo flippin much!!!!

- my husband is sooo exited about making homemade gifts

- my home (rented but is still home) is safe warm and full of food

I hope that everyone is living well this winter...thank you all for sharing and support!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page