November 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I usually observe "Buy Nothing Day" rather than Black Friday since I detest the materialness of the holidays however this year I am pouring over the Target ad and I want to cry. There are so many things at great savings that we really have been wanting/needing but I just can't do it right now. We will continue  to go without. :SIGH I guess it is getting to me ans I am beging to feel a bit deprived even though I feel horrible saying that. There are so many that have so much less than I, I feel like I have no right to complain.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#92 of 105 Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use the H&R block loan every year and honestly it helps us get through x-mas. So far all I see that the H &R Block loan thing is strict about is that you have a job with over so much income coming in and that you are getting a refund back and you have to have it paid by Feb 15th. BTW I am slaving away on ChaCha too on my only day off from my other job. Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post

I personally don't feel deprived myself but I do feel like my kids are often deprived. We have never been able to afford for them to play a sport or take a lesson. We can not afford much for homeschooling, our work is very bare bones. We don't have much for arts and crafts and we can't go on field trips that are not free. I feel like my kids miss out on a lot of things that other homeschoolers get to do because we are so poor. Two years ago we moved for a job opportunity that we hoped would end this deprivation, instead we were plunged into a WORSE financial situation. Each time things look up something literally happens to knock us back down. For instance last month it was having our only vehicle die and need towing and repair. This month it is a 264 traffic ticket I got in the mail for accidently going under a red light when we were moving (I was behind the moving truck and could not see that the light had turned yellow when my husband went through in the moving truck).

I am really happy because I was able to go and get groceries yesterday. I stocked the pantries to the gills and bought thanksgiving stuff. You do not even know how thankful we are to have food on our table. I am happy to be able let my kids take a little extra food at breakfast and to have choices of what we eat. I got to eat salad today at lunch! It was glorious!

Has anyone here ever used the holiday cash advance from H&R Block? I have to transport my boys to their father in about 2 weeks and we have to pay all our bills and that ticket in two weeks. We do not even have near enough money for all of that. Never mind buying a single gift for the kids. I guess they start doing the loans on the 6th. I think we are going to try and get one. We have always gotten the tax refund anticipation loans each year with out a problem but I was wondering if they are more strict with these ones?

Does anyone here line dry only? What do you do when it is cold and/or gloomy outside? I have a dryer but it is not hooked up because we need the money to have an electrician come put in a plug. When it is cold and gloomy the laundry stacks up for days. I have a small rack and a small bar I can hang things on but it dries slow in here too since we do not have heat yet. We have a little portable heater. I guess I could park the drying rack next to that.

Well back to slave away at ChaCha. I need to get that done and then finish cleaning for Thanksgiving. I have worked so much lately that my house is a disaster.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#93 of 105 Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 PM

Hey, ladies. I just wanted to subscribe and introduce myself. I'm a student mom. If my last 3 weeks of school go well I will finally graduate with my BS in nursing. Already have a job lined up that will tentatively start Jan 10 of next year. I don't work right now. My DH brings in $675-$850 every two weeks depending on hours available (averages around $750). We have two children and my sister currently lives with us (she helps with childcare and pays a little rent/food), though she is moving back in with my parents next month. We have supplemented DH's income with my student loans, but due to some large expenses this semester my student loan money ran out sooner than it should have. We had to borrow money from my grandmother last month to help with rent and are doing the same for December's rent. She has not offered help for January (I don't think she feels able to). I'm very worried b/c my paychecks won't start rolling in until end of January. We are thinking of moving to a cheaper place, but that would require large deposits which we don't have. A decision has to be made this week, though, b/c you have to give 30 days notice if you aren't going to renew your lease. I'm worried about Christmas, too. Then when our income goes next year, student loans will have to be paid back. I've been in and out of school for 10 years and have about $83,000 of student loans (some private, some government). I'm afraid that's going to eat up a good portion of our income. And my car is almost 10 years old (and we only have one) so we're going to need another car in the not-so-distant future. Lots of expenses looming. So we'll be watching our pennies for the forseeable future. Hoping to learn from and with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to deal with the men/cable issue, Saamy! It makes me crazy! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy TV (more than I should, I'm sure) but dh's obsession drives me nuts. Especially since he spends half his tv time complaining that there's nothing on We did go without it once for 6 months and we survived (only happened because they shut it off!) so I know he can do it. Blah. Of course he switched providers to get a better deal, so now we're stuck with it again for 2 years no matter what. Sigh. He's the same way with cell phones. Not content to pay my mom $20 a month for basic phones on her plan, so now I'm stuck struggling to pay a $140 cell phone bill every month. It's really frustrating. Of course, he refuses to handle the bank account or bills, so I guess it's easy to spend whatever he wants and leave me to try and figure out how to pay the mortgage and utilities

I love TV more than my DH. But my sister is the main reason we have satellite. She pays part of it and we pay the rest. Once upon a time, my DH and I didn't have internet or TV (when our DD was young). Then we got both for a while. Then we went back to just internet. Now we're back up to both. I could deal with no TV b/c I can watch my main shows off of the internet. But I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to no internet (though it probably wouldn't hurt me).

The part I bolded is what really kills me. My DH drives me nuts on money stuff. It's like he thinks it grows on trees. I had us eating just sandwiches one week and he still tried to spend money on frivolous stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

wow, Smithie.. that is so nice of you.. see Frugal.. your on your way! lol.

Cherry.. omg.. we go for months too b/c we can't afford it, and we are stuck watching movies or something. I do love my certain shows, but when he met me I was totally t.v. free and that is the one thing I really dislike about what we've become. Anyway, I wouldn't be able to handle the phone and ignoring utilities and stuff, though.. we just can't afford to. I used to make him pay the bills, he's pretty organized with it, but then his little games or what not would slip in and even little treats add up, so then I did them, now we pretty much tackle them together.
Do you know about safelink phones? They are free to low income folks like us.
We dont have 'real' cell phones.. and I like it that way.. I dont know how people can stand it having people able to reach you every minute of everyday and interrupt whatever is going on... but that's just me. Seems like everyone is glued to a cell phone these days.

That's what I really hate about cell phones. If you don't want to answer it, people freak out (my mother once freaked out and threatened on my VM to drive over to my apartment if I didn't answer b/c she had called a few times over the course of a few hours and didn't get me - the phone was in the car and luckily I realized it and called her back before she went completely bananas). They just assume since you have it with you all of the time then you should answer it all of the time. I do love texting and 24/7 access to internet, though. It's a very love/hate relationship for me.

Quote:

Total bummer, thatgirl. I too had an inheritance which I had pretty much no control over, but alas, I have no advice accept find a lawyer that can decifer things for you and represent you, not the trustee.

I am so thankful today that a local church was doing free oil changes for the needy; they changed my oil, fixed my broken headlight, and topped off my antifreeze.. things I just wouldn't be able to afford right now.

On the other hand, I had thought I sold a very expensive wooden toy and was awaiting pick up, I would have gotten $125, and been able to pay our electric bill and put gas in the car, but they bailed on me. I was really counting on that. I have no idea how I will get to school this week... the end of the semester and waiting for the next financial aid to come in just sucks. I may have to find a seasonal job or something, although more gas will be needed to get there. Trying to be creative as to what else I can sell, just made a pot of coffee so I can craft all night tonight and post some things in my etsy to hopefully make some dough.

I tried sending you a PM but couldn't get it to work. What is your etsy store name? I'd love to look through your stuff and see if any of it would work for Christmas gifts for my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post

I personally don't feel deprived myself but I do feel like my kids are often deprived. We have never been able to afford for them to play a sport or take a lesson. We can not afford much for homeschooling, our work is very bare bones. We don't have much for arts and crafts and we can't go on field trips that are not free. I feel like my kids miss out on a lot of things that other homeschoolers get to do because we are so poor. Two years ago we moved for a job opportunity that we hoped would end this deprivation, instead we were plunged into a WORSE financial situation. Each time things look up something literally happens to knock us back down. For instance last month it was having our only vehicle die and need towing and repair. This month it is a 264 traffic ticket I got in the mail for accidently going under a red light when we were moving (I was behind the moving truck and could not see that the light had turned yellow when my husband went through in the moving truck).

I am really happy because I was able to go and get groceries yesterday. I stocked the pantries to the gills and bought thanksgiving stuff. You do not even know how thankful we are to have food on our table. I am happy to be able let my kids take a little extra food at breakfast and to have choices of what we eat. I got to eat salad today at lunch! It was glorious!

Has anyone here ever used the holiday cash advance from H&R Block? I have to transport my boys to their father in about 2 weeks and we have to pay all our bills and that ticket in two weeks. We do not even have near enough money for all of that. Never mind buying a single gift for the kids. I guess they start doing the loans on the 6th. I think we are going to try and get one. We have always gotten the tax refund anticipation loans each year with out a problem but I was wondering if they are more strict with these ones?

Does anyone here line dry only? What do you do when it is cold and/or gloomy outside? I have a dryer but it is not hooked up because we need the money to have an electrician come put in a plug. When it is cold and gloomy the laundry stacks up for days. I have a small rack and a small bar I can hang things on but it dries slow in here too since we do not have heat yet. We have a little portable heater. I guess I could park the drying rack next to that.

Well back to slave away at ChaCha. I need to get that done and then finish cleaning for Thanksgiving. I have worked so much lately that my house is a disaster.

I'm glad you mentioned these H&R block loans. We have really cruddy credit b/c so many of our bills have gone unpaid for years while I've been finishing school, but we always get a good tax return b/c of child tax credits. Maybe we would qualify. It would really help us over this hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I usually observe "Buy Nothing Day" rather than Black Friday since I detest the materialness of the holidays however this year I am pouring over the Target ad and I want to cry. There are so many things at great savings that we really have been wanting/needing but I just can't do it right now. We will continue  to go without. :SIGH I guess it is getting to me ans I am beging to feel a bit deprived even though I feel horrible saying that. There are so many that have so much less than I, I feel like I have no right to complain.

I broke down and went to Old Navy b/c they had $15 jeans and coats. My kids needed coats, and DH and I both needed a pair of jeans. I wish I had had money to buy Christmas presents for others, but I just couldn't spare the money yet.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#94 of 105 Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM

we don't have a dryer. . .  the inside drying rack is over the heater.  outside, i dry stuff in the garage, and on the small back porch when it's damp.  and i line dry year round.  actually, the cold air often drys stuff faster because there can be less humidity in it.  stuff will be frozen stiff, but dry when it's thawed. 

this month has been a nightmare on the personal front.  xh is still paying most of the bills, and that is fine, but it seems like i will never find a job.  and because of the craziness that has happened, my dds scream and cry at the notion of me working out of the house.  sigh.

#95 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Well, I didn't get the promotion. They talked a lady who's been doing backup for the position but adamantly said (until last night) she didn't want it to take it into accepting it. This is like the 3rd time I've been overlooked for that position. So I'm going to drop overnights and just go to days. It means a pay cut, but it'll be less physically demanding and less stressful in that my hours will be steadier, at least hopefully. Losing $1/hr isn't as bad as having my hours cut in half for a week at random.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#96 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Happy November,

I was surprised to get a letter in the mail from the food stamps office saying "as a mandatory Food Stamp registrant, you are required by federal law to register with the food stamp employment and training program of the (state) department of labor and workforce development.  Opportunities for training and employment will be discussed at your appointment (_______________),  If you enroll in a qualified component, you will be eligible for travel expense assistance.

Has anyone else received this and if so, were you requred to sign up?  I have three special needs children, and doubt that I will be able to hold a full time job..

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#97 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

hmmm, what state do you live in?  How old are your children?  In my state (MO), you're more or less exempt from looking for a job if your children are under school age or you are pregnant-at least with one non working parent, that is.  My husband has always had a job, been in school, or been just about to get a job whenever we've been on food stamps.  At interviews for recertification they always ask us if anyone is paid to watch our children and when we say no they automatically exempt us. 

#98 of 105 Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Never heard of that, but my DD is still under school age. I really hope that's not the case as I'm medically unable to work right now.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#99 of 105 Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 AM

I'd take documentation of your situation. There's bound to be an exemption. Unlike with cash assistance, they can't make you look for a job or work to receive nutrition assistance.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#100 of 105 Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Welcome, Lavatea! I will PM you my etsy shop! Glad to have you here with us! (oh, and our cable is out now... lol... couldn't pay the bill, but we are hooking up the lap top to the t.v. and we just signed up for a free month on netflix which I will cancel before they charge me.. teee heeee..)

Provocativa~ hugs, girl, sorry about the personal stuff and sending you good job hunting vibes, if you need 'em.

Ravin~ sorry about the promotion, but it sounds like you are making a good switch. I hate when I had jobs in the past that randomnly dropped my hours then some weeks it seemed like all I did was work.. not good for trying to pay bills, I know.

Someone for the love of goddess please tell me how this new multi quote button works; I am hitting the multi quote button, then hitting reply.. and nada shows up! arghhh

Jyotsna~ I've never heard such a thing... hope it all works out though.

So, we had a nice Thanksgiving with friends, I did not glance at anything sales related, stayed home and got my turkey/nap/TV sloth on.. this week has been tough getting back into the swing of school, and right before the holiday we had a meeting with my son's school where they threw out ADD or ADHD as a possibility, we are not interested in meds, so the counselor suggested an elimination diet, so we've started cutting out alot of things from my son's diet and he's working with the teachers on regulating his behavior.. it's alot to take in, it's especially hard to feed him b/c he is a picky eater to start with. My dd though has been very busy this week b/c she has her big play coming up tomorrow! Her school is putting on a huge play with 130 kids, 2 shows tomorrow, and 2 on friday. She is so cute and little, she's only 5 and she is a big fat egg. I look forward to seeing it on friday, it's my birthday and thank goodness they are giving each family 2 free tickets. I feel kinda bad that I can only see one show, we are all going on friday, if I went tomorrow it would cost us $13 for mom, dad and brother to go see her... it just sucks when I'm scratching for the gas to just get her there.

I did get a small paycheck for my work study today, though, so I got gas and the basics, we were out of TP, soap, shampoo, cat food, cat litter and laundry detergent. (went to family dollar and used their current coupon in their circular $5 off $25)

I really want a christmas tree... don't know where the $ for that will come from, so I'm still hoping for now..( last year we couldn't afford one either, we got a freebie pointsetta from the local Earth Fare and that was what we had our gifts around)

Been generally sad and stressed out; school is hard, parenting is hard, and it seems like everyone in my life is judging me. Hope to return to a better mood soon.

Hang in there ladies!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#101 of 105 Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Swamy there are a ton of trees going around on our local freecycle....maybe you will be lucky enough to catch one on yours smile.gif

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#102 of 105 Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM

ooh thanks, I will go check mine!

So... who's gonna start the DEC 2010 low income thread??? who will it be........

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#103 of 105 Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Welcome, Lavatea! I will PM you my etsy shop! Glad to have you here with us! (oh, and our cable is out now... lol... couldn't pay the bill, but we are hooking up the lap top to the t.v. and we just signed up for a free month on netflix which I will cancel before they charge me.. teee heeee..)

Provocativa~ hugs, girl, sorry about the personal stuff and sending you good job hunting vibes, if you need 'em.

Ravin~ sorry about the promotion, but it sounds like you are making a good switch. I hate when I had jobs in the past that randomnly dropped my hours then some weeks it seemed like all I did was work.. not good for trying to pay bills, I know.

Someone for the love of goddess please tell me how this new multi quote button works; I am hitting the multi quote button, then hitting reply.. and nada shows up! arghhh

Jyotsna~ I've never heard such a thing... hope it all works out though.

So, we had a nice Thanksgiving with friends, I did not glance at anything sales related, stayed home and got my turkey/nap/TV sloth on.. this week has been tough getting back into the swing of school, and right before the holiday we had a meeting with my son's school where they threw out ADD or ADHD as a possibility, we are not interested in meds, so the counselor suggested an elimination diet, so we've started cutting out alot of things from my son's diet and he's working with the teachers on regulating his behavior.. it's alot to take in, it's especially hard to feed him b/c he is a picky eater to start with. My dd though has been very busy this week b/c she has her big play coming up tomorrow! Her school is putting on a huge play with 130 kids, 2 shows tomorrow, and 2 on friday. She is so cute and little, she's only 5 and she is a big fat egg. I look forward to seeing it on friday, it's my birthday and thank goodness they are giving each family 2 free tickets. I feel kinda bad that I can only see one show, we are all going on friday, if I went tomorrow it would cost us $13 for mom, dad and brother to go see her... it just sucks when I'm scratching for the gas to just get her there.

I did get a small paycheck for my work study today, though, so I got gas and the basics, we were out of TP, soap, shampoo, cat food, cat litter and laundry detergent. (went to family dollar and used their current coupon in their circular $5 off $25)

I really want a christmas tree... don't know where the $ for that will come from, so I'm still hoping for now..( last year we couldn't afford one either, we got a freebie pointsetta from the local Earth Fare and that was what we had our gifts around)

Been generally sad and stressed out; school is hard, parenting is hard, and it seems like everyone in my life is judging me. Hope to return to a better mood soon.

Hang in there ladies!

For the multi quote, you just hit "multi quote" on each post you'd like to quote, and then the single "quote" on the last one.  When you hit reply, it is erasing everything, because it thinks that you didn't actually want to quote, but instead, just reply to one posting.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#104 of 105 Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM

How is everyone doing? kiss.gif

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#105 of 105 Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page