Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Between 6:00 - 8:00 am = 68

Between 8am - 6pm = 55 (or therabouts)

Between 6pm - 11pm = 68

Between 11pm - 6am = 63 (any colder than that and DH freezes at night)

I LOVE our programmable thermostat.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#32 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We keep ours at 70 between 6-9; 68 between 9-6pm; 70 between 6pm-10; and 62 between 10-6.  I'm with greenbeanmama, as for knowing whether the kids are warm enough.  If the hands are cold, we add a layer.  I'm not opposed to hats in the house, either.  If you're concerned about the baby being cold during diaper changes, I would put something made of wool on the changing table.  If you can't get a sheep skin, why not repurpose an recycled cashmere (or other fiber) sweater from the thrift store?  My son generally won't sleep under covers, but he does sleep on a sheep skin and has a wool blanket in his crib and he is usually wearing a wool romper.  Hands and feet aren't cold and it's 62 degrees, so, I'm confident he's ok.  He's 19 mos.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#33 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

We have a pellet stove so it does vary quite a bit. I can't stand it any warmer than 68. Night indoor temps vary from 62 to 68, I'd imagine. DH likes it warmer so if he is home we constantly battle for temperature control. ROTFLMAO.gif

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#34 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 AM

I hate being cold, so our temp is set at 72 during winter.  And actually, I bump it up to 76-78 when I am not warm enough (then it gets hot and DH complains, so I turn it down). 

We don't like to wear socks, and I don't like to wear clothes to bed.  Also, 2 of my 4 kids constantly kick off covers, so I can't rely on bundling them up or using heavy comforters. Also, much of the flooring is ceramic tile, which is freezing at times.  I was just telling DH we need a heated floor, at least in the master bedroom. 

It costs $$$ to heat and cool a 3k sq ft home... but IMO it's worth it b/c I really dislike not being at a comfortable temperature.  My mom always said, "put on a sweater", and I vowed to keep my home toasty and warm if possible as an adult.  My hands and feet, especially, get really cold easily - probably a circulation issue, I dunno, but it's super uncomfortable for me. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#35 of 53 Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM

Had to do some farenheit-to-celsius conversions. It sounds like there are a lot of folks in the 65-68 range, which converts to 18-20 celsius. It's showing 20 degrees in here right now, without heat. I try to keep it down, just for fun. It makes it easy because dd likes things cold. She's the type of kid who really doesn't like wearing a coat in the winter and is very, very active. I'm cold a lot, but I'm adjusting. I think it's easier psychologically because I know this is a choice. When I was growing up, I was cold because we just couldn't afford proper heating or even super-warm clothes to make up the difference. I hated that. Now, we drink lots of tea and hot chocolate, snuggle under warm comforters, sleep in bed together and wear fluffy slippers. So I'm more in the 16 degrees during the day range, heat off a lot at night. We've also done tons of work to make the place more heat efficient. Last year we had blown-in insulation put in through the whole house. We've caulked everything, replaced the drafty front and back doors and this year are installing thermal drapes on every window. We have an older (1940s) house that had nothing but disintegrated seaweed for insulation in the walls. We live in Nova Scotia.

I am home working all day, so I keep it cold but only until I decide I've had enough. None of us are sick often.

We have oil heat with the lovely old radiators and our hot water is also oil fired. For all of 2009, we payed a total of $1500 for fuel in our 1350 sq foot house. I think we did well for that, though it was a pretty warm winter here in Nova Scotia last year. I'd be interested to know how much others paid!

#36 of 53 Old 11-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I hate being cold, so our temp is set at 72 during winter.  And actually, I bump it up to 76-78 when I am not warm enough (then it gets hot and DH complains, so I turn it down). 

We don't like to wear socks, and I don't like to wear clothes to bed.  Also, 2 of my 4 kids constantly kick off covers, so I can't rely on bundling them up or using heavy comforters. Also, much of the flooring is ceramic tile, which is freezing at times.  I was just telling DH we need a heated floor, at least in the master bedroom. 

It costs $$$ to heat and cool a 3k sq ft home... but IMO it's worth it b/c I really dislike not being at a comfortable temperature.  My mom always said, "put on a sweater", and I vowed to keep my home toasty and warm if possible as an adult.  My hands and feet, especially, get really cold easily - probably a circulation issue, I dunno, but it's super uncomfortable for me. 

bigeyes.gif  Wow!  I would be sweating and wearing shorts and a t-shirt!  Now that I have been keeping my  heat quite low for a while, I find that even 68 makes me feel too warm occasionally.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#37 of 53 Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Well, right now my air conditioner is still set to 74, but it hasn't kicked on in a few days.  orngtongue.gif  When it gets cold I'll switch it to heat and it will be set to 68 during the day, 64 at night.  Really, our heating bill is not much, I think the highest it has ever been has been $80 and we live in a 3000 sq. ft. house.  The air conditioning, however, has been close to $800/month during the summer, and that is with the a/cs set to 74-76.  I guess that's the difference between electrical a/c and gas heat.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#38 of 53 Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM

We live in a mild climate and have a non-functioning gas furnace at the moment. Didn't even miss it last "winter".

In the past, however, we used the programmable thermostat and set it as follows:

one hour before first shower of the day for about two hours --> 72     (this is the only time any of us really object to being chilled)

daytime with someone home --> 67     (physically turn it down to 63-65, if no one was going to be home for more than two hours)

evening --> physically bump it up to 68-69, as needed, for an hour or two     (only have three settings)

one hour before my bedtime  --> 55    (we dislike sleeping in warm, dry forced-air heat)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#39 of 53 Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I'm with you Drummer's Wife, I could have written your post almost word for word.  We just turned our heat on yesterday and it's currently set to 73 although since we're in the desert it's warmer during the day (79 right now w/out the heat on).  I can't stand being cold and I don't want my 3 yo to be cold either.  I especially hate being cold in the mornings before/after a shower.  That's the worst!  We live in a energy efficient house so I don't feel as bad about using the utilities. 

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#40 of 53 Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 AM

I generally keep it at 68.At times when alone during the day I might put it down to 66. I think 66 is good but my dh complains it is cold at 68,and then complains about the gas bill,lol.

I thought 66 was good,but you guys blow me away! Are your bills much lower since you have kept the temps down,or have you always kept them down low? I think a high bill for us last winter was around $240,but it should be better this year since our gas fee is half what it was last year.We had a locked in rate since 2005 when gas rates were much higher.

#41 of 53 Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I thought 66 was good,but you guys blow me away! Are your bills much lower since you have kept the temps down,or have you always kept them down low? I think a high bill for us last winter was around $240,but it should be better this year since our gas fee is half what it was last year.We had a locked in rate since 2005 when gas rates were much higher.

I feel your pain on the locked in rates.  Ours is locked in at a high rate until the spring.  I will NEVER sign a long term contract again!

We were able to heat our home in Ontario from Late October to Early May for $320 in wood.  The gas bill goes up sightly more in the winter because of the gas stove.  About $10 a month. I bake a lot in the winter.  We are insulating the basement in a few days I wonder how that will effect heating costs.

#42 of 53 Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM

We keep the heat between 64-68 degrees during the day.  In the morning it is at 68 for an hour and after 7pm it is at 68.  The other time it is at 64 degrees.  At night the heat is turned off. We have a super insulated house and without heat on even when freezing it doesn't go below 62.

Maggie(35) Wife to Frank(44) since 6/6/1998
Mama to Annabelle 11/10/1998-11/17/1998,Francesca 3/15/2000, Natasja 6/17/2004, EDD 08/19/2014

#43 of 53 Old 11-20-2010, 04:25 PM

We keep it at 20C/68F during the day, 16C/60F during the night. I find it a tad cool but I'm always freezing. I just make sure I have my wool socks, slippers and big fleece top and I'm usually OK. DH and the boys find it fine... if anything, they get hot as they can wear t-shirts around the house no problem. DD and I are always cold and she usually wears her slippers and robe around the house. I also keep plenty of fleece throw blankets in the living and family rooms so if anyone gets chilled, they have something to cover up with.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#44 of 53 Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

for a/c - 78 with occasional pushes down to 76 if it gets too hot.

For Heat - 68 with occasional ups 70 if we're cold. 74 if we're bathing as DD gets pneumonia very easily if she gets cold after a bath.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#45 of 53 Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

At the place we are currently living we haven't had to turn the heat on yet, when we do we'll set it to 65*. It hasn't been terribly cold here yet and the temperature in our apartment at the moment is 72*. We moved here from a crappy rental house that was built poorly in 1960. We had the thermostat there set to 60* last winter and it ran constantly never warming the house above 50*, it sucked because it was abnormally cold here. We switched to heating the house with the heater and space heaters and were able to get the house up to 56*. Our high bill last winter was $400. This year we don't have to worry about a high bill because heat is included in our rent.

#46 of 53 Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM

It's good weather here nowadays, so no need for heat or aircon.

But, in the winter, when it gets down to about 15 (~ 59 F) we will often turn on the heaters when we are awake. My daughter's room is really cold sometimes (big window) so we sometimes do have a heater in there for when she sleeps - to keep it up to about 20 (68)

In the summer, I try not to put on the a/c until indoor temperatures are above 28 C (~ 82 F), but that depends on the humidity and DH and the children's complaints.

Since it never freezes here, we don't need to worry about heating the place when we are away from home.

#47 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have changed it recently due to the unusual warm temps but now its cold again.

Its around 58 from 11pm to 5:30am, then 62 from 5:30am to 10am; then 60 during the day; then 64 in the evening and back down to 58.

I am starting to wake up in the middle of the night a bit too cold, I either need to adjust the temps or get another blanket.

Its an automatic thermometer and in the winter it will be set to range from 62-68. But when we bathe at night, I put it up to 70-72.

I read that adjusting the temp is a bit helpful; but if you jack up the temps a lot (5+ degrees) it doesn't save you much money as the heater has to over work to make up the larger difference.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#48 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM

I keep it at 65-67 during the day and 62 at night.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#49 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We set the heat to 68 during the day and 65 at night.  I'm looking forward to having to turn it on....one of these days.  It's in the 80s here today, and I have the AC on because we're doing a lot of baking in prep for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and I'm sweating! 

#50 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM

62 during the day, and 50 at night. It's always been this way, even when the kids were babies. They don't care,  hot blooded kids gave it made.

But maybe once a week I crank it to 70 for a bit, just to feel toasty.

We are in New England.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#51 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM

70, day and night.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#52 of 53 Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM

We had the basement insulated this past week and I just made pizza for dinner and my house is 22C/71F right now and I am roasting!  I had to open a few windows, lol.  I guess the insulation is working.

#53 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM

We keep it at 66 pretty much all the time.  We, too, have an older home with oil heat.  This is our first year in the house, so we will see how it goes.  I occasionally turn it up when I have to be naked for extended periods of time, iykwim...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page