What tempis your house at? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What temp do you keep your house at?

Do you change it for night and day?

Do you keep your house warmer with toddlers than without or with older kids?

I tend to keep the house warmer during the day for our toddler. She can wear slippers and a sweater, but she has to have frequent diaper changes and I dont want her to be cold during it. I also do not know if she can communicate whether she is cold or not. She may just get fussy and we think it is something else.

I have now been setting the termostat to be 68 during the day and 63 overnight.

I feel it is warm enough. We could do cooler. Even my DW is comfortable without a sweater, and she is def. one to get cold easy.

I want to be frugal and also want to not waste energy.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 53 Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM

70 during the day and 72 at night.  DS will not use a blanket.  We dress him in pjs plus a sweatshirt and sweatpants but he is still cold and wakes up if it is cooler than 72 at night.  It is TOO hot like that for me to sleep well so I turn off the vent in our room.  I know we're on the way high end in this area but try to conserve in other areas.

#3 of 53 Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 PM

68-70 during the day

65 at night [ I also open window in bedroom a crack for asthma reasons..]

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 53 Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Well, we have an old drafty farm house, with many single-paned windows (covered in plastic right now), and there is no insulation under part of our kitchen and bathroom (our pipes freeze if we don't position the space heater just right under the kitchen sink).

Whatever temp we set the thermostat to, it's usually several degrees colder in the house.  Since we've have a pretty warm fall, we've left it at 64 all the time, but it's getting colder now - I "cranked it up" to 66 today, but by winter, we'll be up to 68 during the day, and 64 at night.

That being said, my children wear long johns from September through April.  My four-year-old tells my he's warm one minute (because he wants to take his slippers off to slide on the hardwood floor in his socks), and then tells me he's cold the next (so he can wear his new striped hat and mittens inside).  I generally go by their hands and feet - if they're not cold to the touch, they're okay.  I'm not sure what to do with the one-year-old though.  It's her first winter being on the move, and she really likes her "nakey time" at diaper changes.

For sleeping, since we're all in one room anyways, it stays warm enough for our "covers-kickers" to be fine in just their long johns and footie pajamas.  Our first winter in this house though we didn't know our furnace wasn't working properly (the last people ran it for a year without a furnace filter.)  We were so cold that my son wore two pairs of long johns and two pairs of footie pajamas to sleep each night - with a cloth night diaper on too, we practically rolled him to bed!

#5 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Our house is probably 65-68 degrees in the main part. That is fairly comfortable. Not all of the rooms have heat registers so some are much cooler. Dd and I are frequently up at night so I do not turn the heat down at night. We wear warm clothes.

When dd was a baby/toddler we had no control over the thermostat in the place where we lived.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 AM

64 during the day, 58 at night.

i make sure to bake something on really cold days...:lol

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#7 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 AM

We heat with wood so it's all over the place depending on time of day and what room you're in.

Lows of 13C/55F highs of 20C/68F.

#8 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 AM

I set the thermostat at 16C (60F) when we're home during the day and 12C (53F) at night.  

We live in an old drafty house as well (we chose to keep our single pain glass windows, but do use storms during the winter months), but in our case I think that the rooms are probably slightly warmer than what is on the thermostat, since the thermostat is in the hallway about 8 feet from the back door.

I'm really strict with the heat, as it costs us a lot to heat this place.  Last year it was $3500.  I'm not looking forward to the heating bills come January, as I'm going to have to raise the night time temp with a newborn in the house, and I'll be home during the day instead of at work which means that I'll have to heat the house most days as well.  

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#9 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustian View Post

I set the thermostat at 16C (60F) when we're home during the day and 12C (53F) at night.  

We live in an old drafty house as well (we chose to keep our single pain glass windows, but do use storms during the winter months), but in our case I think that the rooms are probably slightly warmer than what is on the thermostat, since the thermostat is in the hallway about 8 feet from the back door.

I'm really strict with the heat, as it costs us a lot to heat this place.  Last year it was $3500.  I'm not looking forward to the heating bills come January, as I'm going to have to raise the night time temp with a newborn in the house, and I'll be home during the day instead of at work which means that I'll have to heat the house most days as well.  

bigeyes.gif

#10 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 AM

48 at night is what the furance is set to, however, we heat with wood when we are awake, so the main big room, kitchen and bedroom will be 70+ degrees when we go to sleep and anywhere from 58 to 65 in the other rooms depending on air flow and if we have the fans on to move the heat around. The heater normally kicks on around 3am to keep it at 48 overnight.

Right now, it's 50 degrees in the main room where I am currently sitting, but just started the fire and the temps will rise in the next hour.

#11 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 AM

9pm-5:30am set at 62

5:30am-9am set at 68

9am-9pm set at 65

we're up on a hill and get LOTS of sunshine during the day and it really warms up the house! we do plastic the windows as well. Oh and we're in Central MA and heat with oil.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#12 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM

72 all the time. I could handle it being colder, but DH doesn't want to. 

#13 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

We have forced air/gas heat that we set for 64 at night and turn off during the day.  It isn't as cold here as what a lot of our Canadian posters experience--day time indoor temperatures here range from 61-66.  So far, the highest heating bill we've had was 120.00 in January.   

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#14 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM

We keep it at 62-63 during the day and 60 (sometimes lower) at night.  We live in an old house too and last year IIRC we burned through an entire tank of oil between Jan 10 and Feb 22.  That sucked.

#15 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 AM

We normally keep it 58 at night and 64 during the day.  Of course right now our heater is broken so it usually gets down to a couple of degrees warmer than outside temp at night.  And then its been a pretty constant 58 during the day in here unless I open all the windows (its been in the high sixties outside by about 3pm).

But our house is not insulated at all and has the original windows from 1920.  You can seriously see the curtains blow with the wind when the windows are closed.

#16 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM

62 day and night.  Everyone seems to turn it down at night but I get really cold at night but I'm fine during the day.  Anyone else have that problem?  I walk around in my regular clothes and slippers during the day and I bundle up at night with pj pants and socks.  Last night I finally put my robe on.  I stayed warm, but it wasn't the most comfy thing.  Neither of my kids seems to be cold so maybe it's just me. 

#17 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM

We heat our main room (dining, living, play room) to about 71. I keep my toddler in a sweatshirt, and baby legs under her pants even so anything below 71 she has freezing cold hands. However the rest of our house (except her room) we don't heat. We live in a pretty mild climate and can get away with it. Our room is usually about 66, during the day. Her heater is at 68 at night, our living room heater is at 65 and our bedroom is usually around 64. We sleep with a lot of blankets! :)

Blessed Mama through adoption. Diva 3, Baby J 1, Baby E 6 months (and still waiting for us to come get her!)

#18 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM

64-66 when we're at home.  If we are going to be gone for a while it goes down to 62.  I might turn it on once or twice a day (and then turn it back down) if it starts to get too cold, but we stay bundled.  Right now Jude's in a onesie, long sleeve shirt, pants, and knee-high socks.  When we go out I'll add wool longies pants over the pants he's already wearing plus a wool vest.

At night we use an electric blanket set to low.  Even on low it stays warm enough to sleep in just our undies.  :)  We cosleep too so it is pretty snuggly.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#19 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 AM

We keep it at 62 right now day and night. Once the baby arrives I'll probably bump it up a bit though.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#20 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 AM

I try to keep the thermostat at 68 day/63 night.  Dh considers anything under 70 *too cold* and is constantly turning it up to 71-72 and I'm constantly coming around behind him to turn it back down.  So far dd2 (12mo) has been fine in a onesie, sweatshirt and fleece pants with wool socks.  I can't keep a blanket on her at night, she kicks them off, but she will tolerate a fleece sleep sack which keeps her nice and warm over cotton pjs.

#21 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

72-74 at all times. Nobody in the house likes to wear layers, and nobody in the house likes to be cold. Moving to the Southeast was definitely a win for our budget and the environment pinktongue.gif

#22 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM

58 day and night.  I would bump it lower at night, but I worry about pipes freezing.  If I had a programmable thermostat, I would lower it to 54ish at night and then crank it up to 66 for about an hour in the morning and again in the evening.  For now though, I only raise it to 66 in the evening occasionally when I am feeling really chilled. 

I am on public assistance and our heat assistance was cut by more than half this year, so I am trying to keep it super frugal this year.  I haven't sealed the windows yet, but I want to asap.  I have wool blankets hung on most outside walls with a pretty tapestry over them and thermal curtains on all of the windows.  I need to get draft dodgers for the doors too and close off DS's bedroom, as he doesn't use it for anything except clothing storage.  I am hoping I can keep the heating bills under $100 a month during December, January and February this year. 

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#23 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

We have just moved to our 1st home. It is 100 yr old row house. We are lucky in that it is in the middle of two houses, so we are blanketed on the majority of our walls. But, it is the first time we are ever paying for our heat and electricity. We have always rented, and it is common for rent to include utilities here.

We have forced air/oil heat. The furnace has just been cleaned and checked out and is running at great efficiency.

I think we are going to turn it down a bit. I think I am going to do it one degree at a time, every two days until it is down to 16C/61F during the day and 14C/58F at night. I can put it back up to 16C/61F an hour before we get up. Baby and the rest of us can wear layers. And she does wear a sleep sack at night as she also will not keep covers on. We can put her in warmer jammies. She has warm slippers and baby legs too.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#24 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM

We were keeping ours at 65 but had constant runny noses. :( My mother finally told me to try raising it to 70 for the night and see if it gets better. The next morning we woke up without runny noses for the first time in weeks. Needless to say I felt really guilty for keeping it low, but this is our first winter in the new house (and in PA). I think it depends on the house-we have a heat pump if that matters.

#25 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM

We keep ours around 58.  At night, we use a bed warmer plus a space heater to keep warm.  I can't stand getting hot at night!  We also have a woodburning stove that we like to use to try to save money.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#26 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Right now, we keep it at 68 during the day.  I'm not sure what we keep it at during the night (DH usually figits with it while I'm upstairs nursing the baby to sleep)--I do know that we don't heat the rest of the house at night--we have an electric fireplace in our room that we use at night which keeps it warm, but not too warm.  (Everyone seems more restless in a warm room at night....)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#27 of 53 Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

58 day and night.  I would bump it lower at night, but I worry about pipes freezing.  If I had a programmable thermostat, I would lower it to 54ish at night and then crank it up to 66 for about an hour in the morning and again in the evening.

We are also worried about our pipes.  Right now we're keeping it at 52 and heating about 4 rooms with electric space heaters during the day.  Occasionally we put it up to 60-65 just to warm up the house, then put it back down.

#28 of 53 Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM

We keep ours around 21C/68F. I don't like being cold. We have a 1925 house with original windows.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#29 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 AM

70, day and night.  Our house is drafty and we sleep downstairs where it's cooler.  I'm not about to get up at 5:30 in the morning and shower in the cold.

#30 of 53 Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

My dad just put in a geothermal system, and so far we've been keeping it at 70... which keeps the kitchen ~66 or so and the family room ~70* Honestly, I'd rather keep the living room/bedrooms ~66-68ish, but doing so keeps the aforementioned kitchen ~60... which is just a tad bit cold. When it gets cold enough to consistently have a fire going (we preivously heated exclusively with wood), I might end up setting the geothermal ~60. We'll see. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page