Frugal gift idea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I am thinking of making soups for gift giving this Christmas.  I figure I can make a pot of soup pretty quickly and separate it all out in containers for gift giving that can be easily frozen by the recipient in case they want to eat it later.  I make some very good soups.  In fact, people have offered to buy them from me :) so I know I can do it.  I don't really want to a. buy into consumerist ideology b. promote an unhealthy lifestyle (I can make soups low-salt, low-fat and full of vegies) c.  spend $$$ that I don't have BUT I really do want to thank some wonderful people at the holidays. 

I will probably package them in the new bpa free containers from glad or some company.  It won't be very pretty, though...  But mason jars wouldn't freeze so well and I figure everyone would like a homemade soup in the freezer for one busy day or a day that didn't feel well. 

Is this a weird idea??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mom does this for certain members of the family who don't cook (my dad--they're divorced but still very friendly).  He always appreciates it. It's not that far from the giving of cookies--but healthier and more practical.

As a busy mom, I would love to receive a meal or a coupon for a meal that I could redeem when I needed it.

J

Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was on a freezer website that claims that glass freezes wonderfully. Specifically mason jars...I was surprised by this bit of news. Thought I'd pass it along.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM

great idea!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM

I think this is a really lovely idea. I would be a very grateful/gracious recipient of soup.

I would love it in a glass jar too. Glass freezes great!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 AM

What a great idea! Also I freeze my mason jars/glass jars all the time. Never heard that they did not freeze well.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:26 AM

You could do dry soup mixes that all they do is add broth --(which you could do in batches and freeze and give as well)--good idea!!

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Great idea. For your friends who are like you and can cook well perhaps you could do some lovely homemade chicken stock and reduce it. I'd love to receive that.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina47454 View Post

I was on a freezer website that claims that glass freezes wonderfully. Specifically mason jars...I was surprised by this bit of news. Thought I'd pass it along.

You can freeze in glass, but they are really easy to break!  I had some soup frozen in our chest freezer and it fell against the wall and shattered.  I ended up cutting myself (I should have had stitches).  I will not freeze in glass anymore.  I would prefer to use the glass over the plastic but it isn't worth the risk.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

One cool idea I read about was a soup-of-the-month certificate.  It's just what it sounds like.....a year of seasonal, soupy goodness brought to the recipient's home. :thumb  I like your idea, too, though.  I'd be so thankful if some one did that for me.  :love

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

User Tag List