Share your "wacky" savings ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of us who are Blackbelt Tightwads, let's generate some new ideas for each other! Nothing is too weird, no expense is to small to be slashed! Share the unusual things you do to save. 

I'll start: We like our decaf coffee in the morning. I use a reusable filter in our coffee maker, and I reuse the grounds on day 2. (So on Day 1 I start with fresh grounds, and on Day 2, I add HALF the amount of original grounds to the filter. So day one has 4 T, and day 2 I add 2 T more.) Once the coffee has brewed, DH & I each pour a cup, and the rest goes in a thermos so we can unplug the coffee pot. In the summer, I sometimes put the coffee in an ice-cube tray to freeze for use in iced coffee. I put the second-day grounds in the compost. 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#2 of 51 Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Oooh!  I can't wait to read more!  I don't drink coffee very regularly at all, but I might consider stealing this idea for the next time I splurge and buy some decaf.  (regular makes me sick, but decaf if YUMMY)

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#3 of 51 Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 PM

(subbing) lurk.gif/

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Alright, this one seems a little out there.  I had a fairly new towel that had developed a large hole right in the middle.  I cut the towel up into pieces roughly twice the size of a kitchen sponge, folded each piece in half and zig zag stiched around the edges and voila, a reusable kitchen sponge for washing dishes.  I preferred that size to dish clothes and because I had so many of them, each one got thrown in the laundry at the end of the day (or sooner!).  Washed in hot water.  Cheaper than a sponge, more sanitary than a sponge, and they lasted forever.  Even after I didn't use them for dishes anymore, I still use them for other jobs like cleaning the tub. 

heathenmom and Mahmi like this.
#5 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 AM
L J

Oh, I love the idea of putting coffee in ice cube trays! I am a huge coffee lover, and that sounds like it would be awesome, frugal or not.

I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but I'm def. subbing to this thread!

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#6 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

Alright, this one seems a little out there.  I had a fairly new towel that had developed a large hole right in the middle.  I cut the towel up into pieces roughly twice the size of a kitchen sponge, folded each piece in half and zig zag stiched around the edges and voila, a reusable kitchen sponge for washing dishes.  I preferred that size to dish clothes and because I had so many of them, each one got thrown in the laundry at the end of the day (or sooner!).  Washed in hot water.  Cheaper than a sponge, more sanitary than a sponge, and they lasted forever.  Even after I didn't use them for dishes anymore, I still use them for other jobs like cleaning the tub. 

Not out there at all!  Thanks for the idea.  Now, I know what to do with the towel that just ripped!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#7 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post

In the summer, I sometimes put the coffee in an ice-cube tray to freeze for use in iced coffee.  

I LOVE this idea. I can't believe we never thought of that. I would do that in  heartbeat. Otherwise, I have nothing to contribute. I spend money to save time which is my short straw.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I love that! Upcycling a kitchen towel. jammin.gif

Keep those ideas coming! 

DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#9 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just made my son 6 pairs of pj's from old clothes of mine. I"m fixing to do some for baby-on-the-way as well. And sometimes.... sometimes I used the elastic from old underwear to make the pj's if there's nothing wrong with the elastic :bag.

Mahmi likes this.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM

I love that pajama pants idea!

DD is getting homemade pj pants soon, and she had a sheet that tore which I think I'm either going to make into SCA garb for her or PJ pants. I also plan on making her several pairs of non-pj pants with the same simple pattern, because store bought pants never seem to fit her right; she doesn't like jeans anyway and I want some non-knit sturdy pants for her.

I'm going to turn DH's old work shirts (from the job he got fired from) into baby wipes.

DD has a red wool coat I made from an old cloak.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't know if its wacky or normal...

Any amount of leftover veggies we have I throw in a container I keep in the freezer and when its full I make what Dh calls freezer burn soup. Its usually really good and of course different every time. 

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#12 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM

DH thinks im wacky for family cloth, mama cloth, making my own laundry soap..lol common things on this board though. prob not wacky but i save the old coffee from the day and put it in a carafe for iced coffee...ummmm i do a whole bunch of wacky things with food to stretch my dollar. do instant potatoes but add like 2 red potatoes and mash them so they seem homemade but are super cheap..instead of buying those freeze dried friut snacks for the baby i buy whole dried fruit and cut it all up myself to baby bite size peices and save a bunch of money there. i do my own oil changes lol

instead of buying tupperware i make my own flour sacks out of unbleached muslim and drawstring, then i store our dry goods in there. i parboil my own rice. make all my own cleaning supplies. make clotH toys for DD out of old clothes

Mahmi likes this.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 04:03 PM

My kids would just call this weird but their friends seem to enjoy it ;) .  Whenever I purchase something that comes in a zip lock style bag (thing ginormous pouch of m&Ms, Bagel chips, etc) I save it and fill it with shredded paper (homemade of course) and b-day or Holiday gifts.  My ds#2's BF got 2 bars of good chocolate, two packets of almond butter and a pair of homemade wool socks in a pretzil thins bag.  He thought it was great.

#14 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh! I've got one! I turn paper grocery bags inside out & use them for wrapping Christmas gifts. I have lots of ribbon from crafting, so I use it to tie & decorate the packages. So pretty under the tree. (And I reuse the ribbon year after year! Woot!) 

dakotablue, I have tried so many times in the past to use leftover veggies for soup, but it never turns out. Can you give more details? 

#15 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM

Golly, I do quite a few "wacky" savings things. Not sure I can enumerate them all off the top of my head. Hmmm....

~ All the ends and skins of veggies that one doesn't typically eat go into the freezer. (Onion and garlic skins, for example, and carrot ends, thick brussel sprout stalks, you name it.)

~ All raw bones go to the cat, along with the last little bit of raw egg in the bottom of the eggshells or bowls. She also gets fed raw beef, chicken, fish, turkey, etc....whatever we're having....the last little bit of raw stuff goes to her...plus she gets her own serving of certain "meats" we don't eat. She happens to prefer most fish slightly cooked, so she gets to lick our plates after fish meals for all the little tiny morsels. She also likes a bit of rice and veggies and will clean the entire plate after a fish meal. Otherwise, though, she is on a raw food diet (99% carnivore).

~ All cooked bones go into the freezer.

~ I make bone broth with the cooked bones and ends and skins of produce. Add some seasoning and this is the perfect soup and stew "starter" and we cook rice in this nutritious broth, too. (There are details for making and storing it.)

~ We mostly have natural fiber clothing and linens. I hang-dry most of the time, but when I use the dryer.... I save the dryer lint (only natural fiber lint, though) and make "firestarters" by wrapping a bit of lint in waxed paper. We use these in Girl Scouts and family camping instead of the newspaper and chemical firestarters. They work beautifully! (We don't subscribe to a newspaper, so it's not like we already have it.)

~ We do receive a free community newspaper that is printed on recycled paper with soy-based ink. It is fairly thin and only comes once a month, ten months of the year. We save those and use them for mulching the garden, which then becomes worm food as well.

~ Rotten produce also becomes worm food. (Several friends and neighbors bring us theirs, also.) Our red wiggler worms are directly in our garden beds, not in a compost bin. We compost directly in the garden beds, in certain areas and rotate those areas.

~ Our Vitamix can handle certain parts of fruits and veggies that most people don't typically eat. I do cut off the outside of pineapples and I pull the stems out of apples and pears and such, but the cores go right into the smoothies. Citrus peels go in the garbage disposal because the worms don't like 'em, but the other peels go to the worms. Citrus peels ground up in the garbage disposal freshens the kitchen air.

~ All pits (avocado, peach, plum, etc) go to the worms. Some start growing and we get free plants, which I carefully dig up and pot in a container. Most end up as houseplants since our garden space is way too small for trees.

~ We freeze bread heels and make stuffing and bread crumbs.

~ We freeze the little bits of leftover cake (the parts that fall off while flipping out of the pan, the bits that stick to the corners of sheet cakes, etc) and make trifle when there is enough. A tip when freezing is to use good quality glass storage with plastic lids. Freezer burn is a lot longer away that way.

~ We also save glass jars from ordinary packaging. The thinner glass gets used short-term (and never in the freezer), but the thicker, sturdier glass becomes a permanent part of our storage collection. Only fill partially when freezing; leave adequate expansion space.

~ We receive a CSA box every two weeks. We split it with another family, so neither family has too much of one thing. Our family has developed a few go-to meals for the random produce we receive sometimes (one of this or that; or oodles of this or that unfamiliar item). Shredding some of the unfamiliar produce for certain dishes/veggies or stir-frying other types in bacon grease is a win-win way for all of us to try something new. We've really expanded our palates A LOT in the 11 months of our CSA adventure. Quiche, pot pie, roasted veggies with chicken or turkey kielbasa, and stir-fry meals are very flexible with random, unknown veggies.

~ CSA produce lasts a LOT longer than grocery store produce because it is picked just a few days before we receive it. (SIGNIFICANTLY less travel time.) This has probably been the best "surprise" benefit for us. Our own garden produce is similar. When we do know we are not going to eat something before it goes bad, I wash it and freeze it single layer in a glass storage container or on a cookie sheet (if there is room and then into a storage container). These items become soup veggies or smoothie greens usually. Most often it is leafy greens and the texture changes after freezing too much for us to want to eat it as a cooked side dish, but it is lovely in a soup and no one notices in a smoothie. I blanched green beans from our garden before freezing and we eat those as a side dish, but that's a little different than having tons of Swiss chard or collard greens or kale, etc.

~ When making soup, I will add the random little bits. If it is in a small quantity, it works well. I puree anything my family doesn't care for and add it to soups and sauces and smoothies. They typically object to certain fruits and veggies due to texture more than actual taste. Pureeing handles that issue. Even when it IS taste, keeping the quantity small handles that (shred or finely dice and spread it out). Using up all the little bits means we waste a lot less food now than ever before. (I don't add tidbits from people's plates after they've eaten their fill. Those go to the cat or worms or garbage disposal or trash, depending on what it is.)

~ We make rags from old t-shirts.

~ When our rag supply is overflowing, I have made breast pads (when I was post-partum and leaking) from old t-shirts. So much nicer than other fabrics! Doesn't stick like flannel and softer than woven cotton.

~ With old knit clothing of any kind, turn them into shoe bags for traveling. Keeps both the shoes and the surrounding items (clothes or toiletries or whatever) cleaner and in better condition. Ours are just open-end pouches and work beautifully. I used to travel with a separate small piece of luggage with my shoes (along with a shoe polishing sponge!) and no longer feel the need to do so with these shoe bags. The soft knit fabric doubles as a shoe polishing rag, if needed. You can also stuff socks and/or panties into the shoes to help them keep their shape if they are less sturdy types of shoes.

~ Slowly we have been using our Christmas wrapping paper up (mostly with shipped gifts) and have been converting to reusable items in our home (and with certain locals). Decorative boxes get reused year after year. Loose fabric gets tied up in pretty ribbon. We've had certain boxes and gift bags so long, I stopped pulling the labels off and just give a new gift to the same person in that container. Every single year, I give my DH a DVD of some kind in the same DVD paper box. Every single year, we give my dad a homemade family video in the same DVD paper box. He opens gifts with us at our house and leaves all the reusable wrappings here. Wrapping gifts has gotten a lot faster this way, too!!! My mom sent us some GORGEOUS decorative holiday boxes a few years back with gifts inside. Various shapes and sizes. We use them to pack away holiday decorations and then use them to hold gifts. They are always in use! I also have some fabric drawstring pouches we use over and over again. We store these flat with the gift bags.

~ I am planning to sew a tree skirt with pockets soon. Those pockets will be used to hold gifts, too.

~ Santa delivers one gift to our DD and it is completely open and ready to play with as soon as she sees it. No packaging to wrestle with Christmas morning....no wrapping required...great immediate pictures! It has batteries, if needed, and all pieces assembled already. She LOVES this! Adults LOVE this! She is occupied first thing (sometimes for LONG periods of time!) and the rest of us can grab a bite to eat (quick and easy "first breakfast") and settle in and wake up more fully. Her stocking is the same way, but she typically remembers to get that last. She doesn't keep track of how many gifts because it is one and she fully enjoys that one gift (although it is sometimes a "set" or "ensemble"). She receives other gifts from family and us, but the Santa gift is the most exciting and fully engages her. Gift-opening is leisurely and fun and so pleasant... not a frantic race....

~ We don't drink coffee, but sometimes I get into a tea kick. I will brew an entire pot of a mix of whatever teas strike my fancy that day. I love herbal teas and green tea and white tea. If I don't drink it all, I pour it into glass bottles with metal lids and pop 'em in the fridge for iced tea another day. If it isn't enough to fill a bottle, I'll add juice (if we have any). Even just a splash of juice makes it taste very similar to the fancy bottled teas that cost a LOT more.

~ Instead of making my own syrup, which uses quite a bit of sugar, I make a fruit "sauce". It is just fruit and a little sugar blended up in our Vitamix until hot. YUMMY! I use whatever fruit we have, but berries are our faves. They happen to be quick to prepare and breakdown fast, too. Without a Vitamix, it would just be two steps. Puree and then heat. You can also just cook down the fruit in a pan on the stove with a bit of sugar, but that takes longer. Easier clean-up, though, if your food processor or blender is a pain to clean.

That's all I can think of for now....

Aubergine68 likes this.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Sunnysandiegan, how many layers of T-shirt fabric do you use for breast pads? I'm going to need a bunch since I'm going back to work when babe is only 6 weeks, and buying them is NOT in the budget. I've got to make those and some new mama cloth pads.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#17 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM

I had single layer and double layer. Single layer doesn't ravel, so it is simply cut and use. They do curl a bit, so I used that to my advantage and placed it strategically in my bra. The double layer ones don't curl, but do conform nicely as long as they are not too big. Somedays I had to double up on the double layer ones! Gratefully, I was able to bring my baby to work with me. I used the pads just for ordinary leaking most of the time in the early weeks. 

ETA: I just recalled my MIL sewed some triple layer breast pads. She put flannel in the middle and the t-shirt fabric on both sides so I didn't have to fuss with putting them in correctly. She just used my flannel scraps.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#18 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 PM

wow! thanks for all that!i've always wondered what to do with our natural dryer lint...........

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#19 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM

I cut open tubes of toothpaste to be able to get all of it out.  Also works for bottles of lotion, face cream, etc (though be careful not to cut yourself.  Any savings would be negated by an ER co-pay when you get stitches!). 

#20 of 51 Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I make weekly payments on my debt vs monthly.  Since they are direct billpays from my bank there are no fee's and paying weekly cuts down on the accured interest.  Gosh I hate student loans.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#21 of 51 Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:

dakotablue, I have tried so many times in the past to use leftover veggies for soup, but it never turns out. Can you give more details? 

biggrinbounce.gifThanks for asking!

I think what makes the biggest difference is I make my own stock. Once the stock tastes really really good on its own I add the veggies. I don't think it would work with box stock. We, also, don't have certain kinds left over in our house so I haven't tried, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes or tomatoes.

The first soup I made before launching into 'guess what's for dinner' was a stock (chicken back, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, black pepper (lots)and some salt all discarded) Then a package of almost freezer burned (which is where the name came from) corn, green beans, and a peas, corn, lima beans, chick peas mix bag. I also threw in another garlic and chopped onion. The broth was so good Dh didn't mind the lima beans.

Now I just freeze in layers so they all turn out different, Oh and some beans don't hold up well to refreezing re boiling (so far black beans)

I think that's all there is too it...oh and curry powder and some other spices added to taste, if you want I can actually look to see which spices I use. Usually I do the smells good throw it in.

Hope that helps...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#22 of 51 Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

"If it smells good throw it in". I think I can get behind that! thumb.gif

#23 of 51 Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:

For those of us who are Blackbelt Tightwads, let's generate some new ideas for each other! Nothing is too weird, no expense is to small to be slashed! Share the unusual things you do to save. 

I'll start: We like our decaf coffee in the morning. I use a reusable filter in our coffee maker, and I reuse the grounds on day 2. (So on Day 1 I start with fresh grounds, and on Day 2, I add HALF the amount of original grounds to the filter. So day one has 4 T, and day 2 I add 2 T more.) Once the coffee has brewed, DH & I each pour a cup, and the rest goes in a thermos so we can unplug the coffee pot. In the summer, I sometimes put the coffee in an ice-cube tray to freeze for use in iced coffee. I put the second-day grounds in the compost. 

Where did you find a reusable filter? Could you just reuse a regular filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

LOVE this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

I don't know if its wacky or normal...

Any amount of leftover veggies we have I throw in a container I keep in the freezer and when its full I make what Dh calls freezer burn soup. Its usually really good and of course different every time. 

Can't wait to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

Sunnysandiegan, how many layers of T-shirt fabric do you use for breast pads? I'm going to need a bunch since I'm going back to work when babe is only 6 weeks, and buying them is NOT in the budget. I've got to make those and some new mama cloth pads.

Ok, probably a dumb question. Are "mama cloths" like home made sanitary napkins? I've pretty much switched to pads b/c I'm TTC and have had several m/cs so I'm a little paranoid about tampons (trying to keep my uterus healthy plus I seem to be in a perpetual flux of "postpartumness"). I've tried Instead cups and find them super messy. Anyway - I was wondering a few weeks ago if there was a way to make your own pads that would hold up well. I've found a few brands of pads that I really like (though I hate pads as a general rule) but feel bad about the amount of waste they generate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

Quote:

biggrinbounce.gifThanks for asking!

I think what makes the biggest difference is I make my own stock. Once the stock tastes really really good on its own I add the veggies. I don't think it would work with box stock. We, also, don't have certain kinds left over in our house so I haven't tried, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes or tomatoes.

The first soup I made before launching into 'guess what's for dinner' was a stock (chicken back, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, black pepper (lots)and some salt all discarded) Then a package of almost freezer burned (which is where the name came from) corn, green beans, and a peas, corn, lima beans, chick peas mix bag. I also threw in another garlic and chopped onion. The broth was so good Dh didn't mind the lima beans.

Now I just freeze in layers so they all turn out different, Oh and some beans don't hold up well to refreezing re boiling (so far black beans)

I think that's all there is too it...oh and curry powder and some other spices added to taste, if you want I can actually look to see which spices I use. Usually I do the smells good throw it in.

Hope that helps...

How do you make your own stock?

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#24 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

I found the reusable filter at a big box store, in the same place that the coffee makers were displayed. I've also seen them at my grocery store in the coffee aisle. 

Can we post links to our blogs? I just did a blog about making stock from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass...

#25 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 AM

I make all the gifts that we give which saves a bunch of money.I make a lot of gifts from hand me down sheets and clothes so that cuts down on the cost quite a bit.

#26 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 AM

Wait, using leftover bread for breadcrumbs is "wacky?" :lol I've been doing that for a long time!

I read a blog post the other day about how a mom gets several meals out of a single chicken...I can find it if anyone is interested!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#27 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 05:44 PM

One thing that helps with the leftovers into soup, is to freeze the items on a cookie sheet before you add them to the soup bag, so they don't stick together.  then, if there is an item that won't go with your soup, it's easier to pick most of it out.  like, no broccoli in a mexican-seasoned soup. 

i make fritters out of all the veggies the kids won't eat, and leftover meat.  the batter is usually a pakora batter, and i fry in lard because we're tf.  in case you've never tried it- anything fried in lard or tallow is good.

i also get scraps from the butcher and make lard and tallow.

when we ate dairy, i would save butter wrappers to grease pans.

you can also save your fruit peelings and ends, and cook with water, then remove fibrous bits and boil down for fruit stock- can be made into syrup, or jello, or used in other fruit deserts or good on chicken or pork. 

we are gluten-free and eat rice cakes when we don't get bread made (boughten gf bread is expensive).  we freeze the crumbles in the bag, and broken ones and use instead of croutons.  we also use them along with the crumbs from chips in place of bread crumbs. 

i save and dry my citrus peels.  the ones that don't get cut up can be used as air freshener (simmer in water).  in chinese medicine, citrus peel is used for adrenal fatigue.  it is very  high in vitamin c and inositol (an anti-depression b vitamin) and i eat it by the teaspoonful when i'm lazy, or make it into tea when i'm not. 

many years i harvest rose hips for tea and tisanes, but didn't get to it this year. 

in the dominican republic, they fill an empty liquor bottle with whole spices (cinnamon sticks, allspice berries etc) and then pour in cheap rum.  after it marinates a week to a month, the rum tastes better than cheap.  you can then re-use the spice bottle (but have to marinate the liquor longer after awhile).  i haven't done this since my 20s with my dominican friend, but it was soooo good.  also, mulled wine or glogg greatly improves the taste of cheap wine.

we do get the newspaper because dd uses it for homeschool, and i use it in my kitchen for draining fried things and for spills and the first wiping of a cast-iron skillet (check to see what kind of ink is used first).  you can also make newspaper logs by rolling them up, securing with a rubber band or tying, and then soaking in water.  when they dry, you can remove the rubber band and it holds its shape.   

#28 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Not sure how "wacky" it is, but I have 6 turkeys sitting in my freezer right now.  I totally stocked up when Kroger had them for $0.57 a lb.  Every other month next year, we will roast or smoke (DH has a huge smoker grill...that we got for free btw.  My deep freeze holding all the turkeys was free too) a turkey, eat one meal's worth, then back up the rest into meal size portions.  Right now, that means we end up with enough leftover from a 10lb turkey to get meal a week for about 6 wks.  I use the turkey in place of chicken in recipes...like turkey enchiladas instead of chicken enchiladas. 

Also someone mentioned the breast pads.  I ran out of disposables like 2 weeks ago and could NOT justify the expense again.  Last time I had bought a brand new giant box and stopped leaking like the next day.  So I had been using folded up paper towels (I have a huge stockpile) Well, I was still leaking through those and going through a lot of paper towels.  So, I found a baby washcloth, we don't really use them a lot and those gerber ones are really long.  So I folded it up and then cut it in half.  It ends up being same size as a disposable breast pad, much more absorbent, and it's really soft.  I am officially never buying disposable breast pads again.

Another not sure how wacky it is: I have a TON of disposable wipes tubs.  Back in August I got like 25 or 30 tubs for free using those $2 off a tub coupons.  I have been saving those and now they are being re used to store crayons, organize meds and all sorts of other organizational things. 

I dig in the recycle bins for my coupon inserts so I don't have to spend money on lots of papers

I cruise the free section of CL and freecycle every day.  The only reason I mention this is that I am not usually looking for anytihng specific. 

#29 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

When I was breastfeeding and needed breast pads I cut some cloth diapers into circles. They were very nice and soft and smooth and I could wash them in hot water (needed because I had thrush).  I didn't stitch them at all just stuck 'em in there!  I didn't use them for too long, although I nursed for a total of almost 10 years...   Gosh, that was quite a while ago!  My little guy stopped more than 3 years ago.  bawling.gif

#30 of 51 Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Wait, using leftover bread for breadcrumbs is "wacky?" :lol I've been doing that for a long time!

I think in American culture doing anything,other than Black Friday shopping,to save money is wacky.winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page