One car families???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another 8 years, 1 car family here. My dh and I go to college together during the day and are home together at night, so we make our lives work out like that, and take turns with the car if we need to go elsewhere. No big problems here, so far.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#32 of 36 Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We will be once ds graduates and goes off to college. As it is, we enjoy all the expenses of two cars, but the inconveniences of being a one car family. I cannot tell you the last time dh or I drove our ds's car!

His grandmother 'gave' him a newer, more dependable car recently. We debated about keeping or selling his old car for dh to take to work (3mi away). We decided it wasn't worth it. I rarely leave the house w/out help (three little boys to chase).

We love being a one car family. I can walk to town for groceries, walk to my son's school, etc.

#33 of 36 Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM

We're one car and it sucks.  DH has to jump around between different buildings for work so I can only drop him off at work once every week/week and a half.  That means running all my errands after dark and not getting together with friends during the day.  We've been doing thsi for 7 months  and we're looking for another car right now b/c I hate it.

obstruct livery vehicles

#34 of 36 Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We'll officially be a one-car family when I get my licence. :p Right now we have one - old, pretty junky, a gift - but can't legally drive it! Having been a NO-car family for four years, a car feels like an absolute luxury. BUT, DH works from home. And before that his work was a 10-minute walk away.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#35 of 36 Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 AM

We're a one car family and I really like to be able to say that (the caveat is that I'm the person who gets the car).  We live in a city (but it's more urban density-like than a city in our area) and DW takes the bus to work.  It's a 30 min commute from our house.  Our kids are now also responsible for getting to and from school on their own and it's too far to walk.  So we have bus passes for them, too.  This means that our monthly outlay on public transportation is $230.  Which is pricey, but more affordable than a second car.

As I get to keep the car during the day (and I don't have to pay for parking at work), this means that I'm also responsible for coordinating and shuttling the children to all their various medical, dental and orthodontist appointments.  And, I have to deal with all school emergencies that require a child to be picked up.

Now that DW has gone back to school part-time for a professional certification, it's a bit of a challenge to coordinate getting everyone to all of their activities.  Here, the bus doesn't make sense because it can take 1 hr to get there one way on the bus, opposed to 10 minutes of driving.  This means I'm picking up a lot of the shuttling.

A second car really isn't in our future, but we are investigating getting a car-share.  We have a program called virtucar where you can sign-in and share a car as needed for a minimal cost.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#36 of 36 Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM

One car here...totally by choice. In addition, we strive to be car-lite....bike, walk or bus places that we could drive to. It's easy  where I live.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page