fear of bedbugs seriously cramping my scavenging - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

simple living mama....did you see them in the bed from freecycle? i'm wondering what to look before bringing something into our home.

#32 of 43 Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Omamasmama, yes you can see them if you are looking for them.  They are pretty flat if they haven't been feeding on anyone (eek) but plump if they have.  About the size of small apple seeds. 

#33 of 43 Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM

There is a bed bug registry if you do a google search.it's a website thatlists neighborhoods and hotels by name that have had bedbugs
#34 of 43 Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

I do clothes second hand as those can be washed. I only do furniture from known family without bedbug though. I've never worried about used books, actually, just because it's not a really appealing place for a bedbug from my knowledge so I think you'd have to have a pretty awful infestation before numbers would hide out in books. Besides, we check stuff out of the library, and if I have to start worrying about all used books, it's just too impossible to fight against IMO. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#35 of 43 Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

so what about things like dressers and changing tables? i was thinking of buying those of cl, but now you all have me worried.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#36 of 43 Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 AM

another thing, i have found brown little bugs in our couch a couple times but they don't look like the pictures of bed bugs i've seen they are longer and skinnier and move slow, not like a flea, what could they be? I thought for sure they were bed bugs but they look nothing like the online pictures.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#37 of 43 Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

another thing, i have found brown little bugs in our couch a couple times but they don't look like the pictures of bed bugs i've seen they are longer and skinnier and move slow, not like a flea, what could they be? I thought for sure they were bed bugs but they look nothing like the online pictures.

carpet beetles maybe? They eat fibers.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#38 of 43 Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

carpet beetles maybe? They eat fibers.

thanks did some googling, looks like they may be powderdust beetles. Our couch does have some wood finish, ah, not too happy about what they do to hardwood.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/powderpostbeetles.htm

#39 of 43 Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM

I had a friend in Louisville who got infested due to here neighbor who had them for MONTHS without telling management. She has said you can kill them with 90% or higher rubbing alcohol. I treated a few toys that the kids took when we traveled with a spray bottle of it. I'm terrified of them, but I think frequent checks of your bedding, etc and arming yourself with knowledge is the best way to deal with them. 

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#40 of 43 Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM

I have had to deal with bedbugs in the last house i lived in. We bought a secondhand couch from a thrift store. DS liked to sleep there with his blankets and pillows. He ended up transferring them to his bed. I tried EVERYTHING!  They eventually made their way to my room. We ended up throwing everything out and moving.

It is horrible. You wake up with all these little itchy bites all over you. They leave blood trails and can hide anywhere. But they prefer to be close to their food source. The best way to see if you have them is to wait till dark and take a flashlight in the room. You will see them on the bed, walls, sheets....and can usually follow them to their "nest". They are yucky annoying bugs!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#41 of 43 Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple living mama View Post

Havent read the other post so sorry if it's been suggested.  You can get some diatomaceous earth, very cheap, at your local hardware store.  Before you bring in any furniture bought second hand, paintbrush the d-earth in all the cracks of the  furniture you purchased.  Do this out side as you don't want to breathe in the fine powder.  Let sit for a day before bringing in. If you want an extra bit of assurance, buy some cedar oil and between the two, I guarentee you will not have any living bedbugs in your house.  We brought in a bed loaded with bedbugs from freecycle.  It was hard work but finally got rid of them with these two non-toxic bed bug killers. 

So true about using a paint brush to dust especially in the cracks of the furniture.

Worlds Best Mom
#42 of 43 Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM

I read this thread the other day and have obsessed about it ever since. I am driving my dh crazy!!!
#43 of 43 Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM

No reason to freak but be diligent.  If you think you have them, make it a nightly thing to do a bed bug check in the creases of your bed.  THEY LIKE TO LIVE CLOSE TO THEIR FOOD SOURCE.  If they aren't anywhere in your bed but you know you are being bit, check the furniture around your bed.  If nothing comes up, I have to think you are getting bit by something else.  

If you don't have them but feel fear at getting them, don't.  No need stressing over something they may never happen.  Waste of time I say.  

If you bring in any used furniture, make sure you check for them.  Dust the furniture outside with D-earth (see my previous posts) and that should kill them and their eggs.  Diatomaceous Earth is made up of fossilized water plants and what it does is sticks on to the bugs. They have a waxy back.  It cracks their shell open and they cant hold in their moisture any more and they die.  It's non toxic and safe but use with a mask or out side.

I put some around the posts of my bed when we had bed bugs but have since vacuumed it up.  I have to admit, we had a bad problem and it took us about one half a year to get rid of them but we did it.  We had nightly inspections, then when we couldn't find any any more, we had weekly inspections.  It seemed like 6 weeks would go by and one of us would find one.  It brought our mood down but we carried on with the cedar oil spraying and the d-earth dusting and eventually they all died.  It's been a few years now and happy to report no bed bugs in this house.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page