How much do you spend on propane heating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It seems to be a VERY expensive way to heat a house! I feel we are spending twice the amount that we did living in town and using natural gas. Anyone have a similar experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM

We have hot water baseboard heat, propane furnance and last year is it was so expensive.  So far this year, it hasn't been too bad.

Are your town house and current house of similar size and construction (insulation included)?  Design, size, furnance efficency, etc all make a huge differenc in heating costs.  Also, are you using propane to heat your water?

You might want to call around for rates.  Last year, we were paying close to $4 per gallon.  When we called around, we found a different supplier who charged closer to $2 per gallon.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM

We've found that it's close to $4  a gallon here, too.  Very expensive.  We haven't used the furnace in 3 years or more.  We have electric fan heaters in the playroom (keep that door open all the time), the dryer tends to warm up the house (good motivation for laundry), we have a Mr. Big Buddy propane heater in the house, and 2 space heaters, and 2 fireplaces. 

This house has excellent insulation, but bad windows, so we put plastic up (we are renters so it's not changing any time soon).

We are very happy in this house, the landlords fix everything quickly, we have a large fully fenced yard, we love the school district, and the rent is cheap for such a nice house.  We deal with it, but I'd never have a propane furnace again if I could help it.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.

User Tag List