January 2011 No-Spend Challenge - Let's start the New Year off right! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad-at-heart View Post

Hello,

can we join, too?

It's my first time in this section, but our bank accounts could really use some boost in this new year...

1.) Who we are?

It's me, a part- time working mom of a wonderful daughter and a fulltime working dad.

2) where do we want to get?

Finally, have the 6 months of income as savings just in case something should happen... And also have some money for extras like our immigration or eating organic (which we just started, we'll see if we can stick to it) or maybe even a vacation...

3) How?

Cut out most unneccesary spending. We're big with that: coffee, eating out, malls... I don't even konw if we can cut out all unnecessary spending because we seem to be addicted to that sort of burning money. I think sometimes we just feel like we deserve it, and then, we just spend money... So this is my first attempt in 2011 to at least be tracking where the money goes....

I have already been doing meal planning for quite a while and try to always take my lunch with me to work (and so does dh)- that really helped but seemd not to have been enough. We'll see...

Jan. 1) 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif 15 $ movie rentals, but that was good and needed for our inner peace, so I won't complainsmile.gif

Jan 2) 140 groceries online. They should last for one week, so we're good (yes, unfortunately, groceries are so expensive around here). 

But, again: 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif Around 10 $ eating out irked.gif 570 $ daycare greensad.gif, but that was planned.

Thank you for your inspiration:-)

Cheers,

nomad

I am the coffee addict in our family, I have found that if I crave Starbucks I can mix my homemade hot chocolate mix with a tsp of instant coffee. Not the same but it takes away the craving and it's super cheap. I tend to drink it every day because I'm also on ww and it's only 2 points as opposed to a cafe mocha at 8.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#62 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, so this is one of my biggest issues, and hubby and I really want to get out of debt, so I'm in...

a. Who you are: Kelly, first time mom to beautiful daughter (4 months), American transplanted to Canada (yay!) married to hubby 4 years now.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): My desire is to pay off debt and learn how to live within my means...something I've rarely managed to do in my life. I don't want to leave that legacy to my daughter...and I want to get rid of the daily guilt that debt brings to my mind.

c. How you plan to get there: We've definitely been working on our spending the past several months and made some improvement, but it's still a long road to go. We seem to be good at doing well for awhile, then falling back into terrible habits and staying there for too long until we renew our resolutions. I would like this pattern to stop...but I think I really need to take it one day at a time.  So today, no spending...and I'll be back to post what happens!

My main pitfalls...ordering in when I'm too tired/lazy to cook, overspending on groceries due to bad planning, and buying stuff for the daughter. We pretty much have everything we need for her right now so my goal is to stop getting things just because they're so darn cute!

It's really nice to be part of this community... :)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#63 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM

My key:

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Spending within budget

irked.gif  Over budget, but necessary

bag.gif  Not necessary, not budgeted

1/01  love.gif (well, I bought Starbucks with a gift card I got fir Christmas...)

1/02  thumb.gif  Ate dinner out at work with DH, DS, and in-laws

1/03   thumb.gif  Grocery shopping

Goals:

Work lunches  $4/$60

Groceries $/$500

Savings  $/$500

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#64 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm in! I'm a working single 41 yo chick, no kids. Looking at needing $$ to put towards major dental work, as well as maybe paying for a wedding (mine!) a year or so the future! joy.gif Having items on hand at home for quick b'fasts and easy to make lunches is a key thing for me. Also, drinking tea and water at work will keep me caffeinated and out of the soda vending machine. Helps wallet AND waistline! My budget bugaboos are grabbing something for breakfast/lunch at work or even on the way home. If I can tame that budget monster, I'll be golden (as our former governor the crook would say!).

Yay = no spending day

1/1 - yay!

1/2 - yay!

1/3 - $.80 pack of cookies from vending machine at work for b'fast

$4.18 for Subway lunch - just for a 6" turkey sub! I sooo need to go grocery shopping tonight!

1/4 - $1.25 soda from machine at work. I had a massive headache and cold caffeine seems to kill them in their tracks (I'd already had tea)

lady.gif
#65 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM

1/1 budgeted spend - long johns and socks for kids

1/2 no spend

1/3 big budgeted spend day - groceries, supplements, carwash (which I hate to pay for but was desperately needed), b'day gift for my mom. Sold some books at used book store.

1/4

1/5

#66 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Key:

thumb.gif  no spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  unnecessary/ unbudgeted spending

hang.gif  hung laundry to dry

January Goals

no spend days  3/20

eating out  0/0

loads of laundry hung to dry  1/8

1.  thumb.gif  At the IL's out-of-state so no laundry done.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#67 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Jan 1: thumb.gif No spend

Jan 2: smile.gif Budgeted spend

Jan 3: thumb.gif No spend

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#68 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Who I am: I'm a single mom to 3.  Working part-time, getting child support, living debt-free finally.  I'm here becxause I got into a car accident last week and my deductible is going to break my tiny financial situation.

The goal: no spend for 2 weeks starting today other than paying my mom the $60 I owe her for my 2 daughters' birthday presents and my deductible if that comes due in the next 2 weeks and maybe a tank of gas.  Driving a rental so I'm not sure how long the gas will last.  We should be fine with everything, even groceries.

The plan:  Stay OUT of stores.  Not hard, I'm super super busy anyway.  Drive as little as possible.  Make this tank of gas LAST.  I need the willpower to stop picking up little htings here and there for the kids for treats when they behave in stores.  I've been relying on those bribes and it's bad for my parenting and bad for my wallet.  Need to take 2 weeks to get my parenting and my finances under control.  I'll re-eval in 2 weeks with what spending we need to do.  There will be no non-necessary spending for hte month but no spending at ALL for 2 weeks other than what's outlined above.  Joined the pantry challenge and homecooking challenge to also keep me on track there as well since food has typically been my weakness.

thus far, today.  No spending at all.  Free zoo day with my 3 year old.  Planned out cakes for birthdays for 2 of my kids this week.  Have everything needed.  My mom provided half of our dinner tonight when I loaned out my oldest to her for some manual labor. :) (she helped bring in a cord of wood and stack it with my dad). 

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#69 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Quote:

Hello,

can we join, too?

It's my first time in this section, but our bank accounts could really use some boost in this new year...

1.) Who we are?

It's me, a part- time working mom of a wonderful daughter and a fulltime working dad.

Finally, have the 6 months of income as savings just in case something should happen... And also have some money for extras like our immigration or eating organic (which we just started, we'll see if we can stick to it) or maybe even a vacation...

3) How?

Cut out most unneccesary spending. We're big with that: coffee, eating out, malls... I don't even konw if we can cut out all unnecessary spending because we seem to be addicted to that sort of burning money. I think sometimes we just feel like we deserve it, and then, we just spend money... So this is my first attempt in 2011 to at least be tracking where the money goes....

I have already been doing meal planning for quite a while and try to always take my lunch with me to work (and so does dh)- that really helped but seemd not to have been enough. We'll see...

Jan. 1) 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif 15 $ movie rentals, but that was good and needed for our inner peace, so I won't complainsmile.gif

Jan 2) 140 groceries online. They should last for one week, so we're good (yes, unfortunately, groceries are so expensive around here). 

But, again: 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif Around 10 $ eating out irked.gif 570 $ daycare greensad.gif, but that was planned.

Cheers,

nomad

I am the coffee addict in our family, I have found that if I crave Starbucks I can mix my homemade hot chocolate mix with a tsp of instant coffee. Not the same but it takes away the craving and it's super cheap. I tend to drink it every day because I'm also on ww and it's only 2 points as opposed to a cafe mocha at 8.

That sounds yummy!

#70 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

can we join, too?

1.) Who we are?

3) How?

Cheers,

nomad

That sounds yummy!

It is! I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-chocolate-mix-ii/

Then I add a tsp of salt and a package of instant chocolate pudding. I also send the powdered milk through the processor so it dissolves better. After drinking it I can't drink regular hot chocolate!

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#71 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM

1/1 orngbiggrin.gif
1/2 orngbiggrin.gif
1/3 smile.gif DH put gas in his car $30, and brought in $21 in tips.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#72 of 194 Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Jan 1:irked.gif

Jan 2:thumb.gif

Jan 3: shy.gif Like the previous poster, my husband delivers for his second job, but he made enough in tips to cover gas, so I thought about counting it as a no-spend day, but I guess I'll do this smiley for budgeted spending.

#73 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 AM

Jan 1: thumb.gif

Jan 2: irked.gifbag.gif=$30

Jan 3: thumb.gif

I'm going to have to spend today. Our cd player for the bedroom crapped out and Corbin can't sleep without the hypnobabies music playing so I have to get a new cd player. It's been playing 24 hours a day for about a year. blush.gif

#74 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM

a. Who you are:    We are WAHM, WOHD, dd 6 years, ds 2 years.  We hope to conceive this year

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and:  Financially we would like to pay off our credit card about ($3500) and pay off my car about ($1000) so dh can get a new (used) vehicle.  Hope to have have at least $1000 in savings by the end of the year.

c. How you plan to get there:  Dh has interviewed for a new job and we are hoping that he gets it.  I plan on doing meal planning, growing a vegetable garden this summer.  Also sticking to the budget and grocery list.

1/1 ~ $5.79 on Slurpee's  greensad.gif

1/2 ~ $10 on prescription for ds

1/3 ~ No spend, No drive day joy.gif

1/4 ~ No spend day  joy.gif

1/5 ~ budgeted spending food and such  thumb.gif

1/6 ~ un spend, lunch.  Frames, $11.75, $17 on snacks, pop and velcro to make reusable ziploc bags.  greensad.gif 

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#75 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:

It is! I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-chocolate-mix-ii/

Then I add a tsp of salt and a package of instant chocolate pudding. I also send the powdered milk through the processor so it dissolves better. After drinking it I can't drink regular hot chocolate!

wowza.  Now you are a-speakin' my language!  I am off to make that RIGHT NOW.  Delish.

#76 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM

1-1 $0

1-2 $60 snowboarding trip

1-3 $15.83 home repair stuff, $25 groceries, $68 Costco

#77 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM

1/1 thumb.gif budgeted spend - long johns and socks for kids

1/2 orngbiggrin.gif no spend

1/3 thumb.gif big budgeted spend day - groceries, supplements, carwash (which I hate to pay for but was desperately needed), b'day gift for my mom. Sold some books at used book store.

1/4 orngbiggrin.gif On here early - planning for a no spend day. Will take DD1 to school bus, come home with DD2 and do some house cleaning and decluttering/organizing. Then DD2 to preschool in the afternoon. No stores planned for today.  

1/5

#78 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM

1. thumb.gif

2. smile.gif

3. thumb.gif

Key:

smile.gif  budgeted spending
thumb.gif true no-spend day
bag.gif bad bad bad

#79 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM

We ended up going out for dinner on the 3rd, but used a gift card, so only payout from us was tip.  Hubby went grocery shopping today...I am not sure how much he spent cause I am at home sick :(  But what he bought covers the meals for hte rest of the week so no shopping again until next week (hopfully!)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#80 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm not including spending on groceries, etc. I went to a newer Aldi by me last night on the wya home from work and got a good amount of stuff for $28. I got ingredients for tacos that will last me several meals, some frozen French bread pizza for work lunches. The price on the bagels FLOORED me. I usually buy the Brownberry (always cinnamon raisin swirl flavor) packaged ones in the bread aisle. $2.50 for 6 at Target. $4 at regular grocery store. Aldi version - something like $1.30. They weren't as soft as the Brownberry ones, but 25 seconds in the microwave solved that problem!

lady.gif
#81 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM

headscratch.gif I wonder how long before I cave in and buy a DVD player (or 2). The one in the family room died a week ago. We haven't had one in our bedroom for over a year and the TV has just been sitting on the floor (not used). We do Netflix so we have lots of instant TV through our Wii and the movies that come in the mail, we can technically watch them on the laptop. How long can this go on? faint.gif

#82 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

a.  Michelle mama to two dc.

b.  Pay off debt, not spend unnecessarily and save.

c.  By staying out of stores, cutting up all credit cards, meal planning, and going to try washing the clothes on cold (except bed sheets and diapers.)

#83 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM

a.  Michelle mama to two dc.

b.  Pay off debt, not spend unnecessarily and save.

c.  By staying out of stores, cutting up all credit cards, meal planning, and going to try washing the clothes on cold (except bed sheets and diapers.)

Key:
joy.gif - no spend
smile.gif - necessary/budgeted spend
- unnecessary spend

Jan 1- smile.gif

Jan 2- smile.gif

Jan 3- smile.gif

Jan 4- joy.gif

Jan 5- joy.gif

Jan 6- smile.gif

Jan 7-

Jan 8-

Jan 9-

Jan 10-

Jan 11-

Jan 12-

Jan 13-

Jan 14-

Jan 15-

Jan 16-

Jan 17-

Jan 18-

Jan 19-

Jan 20-

Jan 21-

Jan 22-

Jan 23-

Jan 24-

Jan 25-

Jan 26-

Jan 27-

Jan 28-

Jan 29-

Jan 30-

Jan 31-

#84 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Key:

thumb.gif  no spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  unnecessary/ unbudgeted spending

hang.gif  hung laundry to dry

January Goals

no spend days  4/20

eating out  0/0

loads of laundry hung to dry  2/8

1.  thumb.gif  At the IL's out-of-state so no laundry done.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#85 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Jan 1: orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 2: orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 3: smile.gif $30 gas $21 tips
Jan 4: orngbiggrin.gif

Today, I had to stop myself from dling an itune for my iphone redface.gif
DH will be bringing home some more tips tonight and we get paid Wed, Thu, and Fri thumbsup.gif
I've been really thinking about my Netflix subscription and my gym membership every month. Together they cost ~$23. I think that since they make me (gym), DH and the kids (Netflix) happy, we've got to keep them and I'm keeping them in my monthly expenses, i.e., not considering them a splurge.

#86 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I have already this month bought 6 books we didn't need. Total, about $3.50. Just confessing. redface.gif

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#87 of 194 Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Jan 1:irked.gif

Jan 2:thumb.gif

Jan 3: shy.gif  

Jan 4:thumb.gifWe spent $60 on groceries, but we used the gift cards we got from my FIL for Christmas so I'm counting it as a no-spend day!

#88 of 194 Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 AM

Ruth, not a true no-spender.  More of a careful spender as my family of 5 moves internationally this month. 

Bought a few things for a going away party/wedding shower for friends.  Today and tomorrow are travel days for my family, so I'll be offline for a few.  Good work everyone and I'll check back in a few days.  

Jan 1 -- travel lunch

Jan 2 -- Household things for our old house

Jan 3 -- 2 straw bales

Jan 4 -- party supplies

Jan 5 -- moving day 

Jan 6 -- moving day

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#89 of 194 Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM

1-1 $0

1-2 $60 snowboarding trip

1-3 $15.83 home repair stuff, $25 groceries, $68 Costco

1-4 $0

#90 of 194 Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM

This will be another no-spend day for me. I won't be paying bills until Friday since the mortgage is due and I need to wait for all 3 paychecks to be able to afford it redface.gif Then I'll pay more bills with the remainder.

DH found $20 yesterday that he thought he had lost and used it to put gas in his car today orngbiggrin.gif He also brought home another $28 in tips (only 1 1/2 hours of work), so that's $51 that I now have in cash. We never seem to hang onto cash, and I've never tried to regulate it, so this is a big deal smile.gif

ETA: I forgot that I need gas, so I will put $20 of that cash in my tank smile.gif

Jan 1 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 2 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 3 smile.gif
Jan 4 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 5 smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page