January 2011 No-Spend Challenge - Let's start the New Year off right! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to be kept accountable!

a. Who you are

I'm Meg & I'm a 24-year-old SAHM to 3 boys going on 5, 3, and 2, with a girl(?) on the way. We've always been a single-income family, but luckily, because of where we live, we get a monthly cheque from the government for kids expenses (this equals about half of DH's monthly income). Because I stay at home, my spending is usually online - it's just too easy.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

-Pay off credit cards

-Save for DHs unpaid parental leave (2 weeks?)

-New roof fund

-Van fund

-Schoolroom fund

-Plan our meals & cut down on wasted food

I'd also like to declutter and avoid buying things that won't have a place to be kept.

c. How you plan to get there

I made a rough budget for 2011 (DH thinks I'm nuts) to plan debt repayment, birthdays, etc that I knew could be planned for. We have NO savings right now, but at the end of the year, with this proposed rough-draft budget, we'd have saved over $20,000. That's bare minimum spending, though, and I forgot to add in oil changes, etc. That money will be going toward a new roof, van, schoolroom, etc. but we'd still have some left and it'd be a great start.

thumb.gif = No-spend day

smile.gif   = Budgeted spending

orngbiggrin.gif   = Under budget!

greensad.gif   = Unbudgeted/Unnecessary spending

1/05: thumb.gif (actually made money with a price adjustment & a return! this will pay for a bookcase we were planning to buy)

1/06: thumb.gif

Progress:

Paid to credit cards: $120/$2300

Groceries $0/$295

Savings  $100/$250

Meg
SAH, homeschooling mum to G (05/06), R (03/08), DK (04/09) + S (04/11)!!
Expecting #5, K, mid-November 2014! Team Green!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM

My key:

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Spending within budget

irked.gif  Over budget, but necessary

bag.gif  Not necessary, not budgeted

1/01  love.gif (well, I bought Starbucks with a gift card I got fir Christmas...)

1/02  thumb.gif  Ate dinner out at work with DH, DS, and in-laws

1/03  thumb.gif  Grocery shopping

1/04  thumb.gif $20 for baby clothes

1/05  thumb.gif Going out to dinner (gift card) and a movie 

Goals:

Work lunches  $4/$60

Groceries $132.58/$500

Savings  $400/$500 

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM

A. Who I am: I'm me. Married, no kids (yet).

B. Goal: Save money and live more comfortably on our current income.

C. How to get there: Cut out unnecessary spending.

I especially want to do this now that I just got hit with a $300 doctor bill yesterday. Ugh. Hopefully my AFLAC will cover at least most of that, but until that comes in, it'll have to come out of pocket. So that means no buying things we don't need and any "found money" goes into the grocery/gas fund.

I will be going to the grocery store today, but I am keeping my total under $60.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Key:

thumb.gif  no spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  unnecessary/ unbudgeted spending

hang.gif  hung laundry to dry

January Goals

no spend days  5/20

eating out  0/0

loads of laundry hung to dry  3/8

1.  thumb.gif  At the IL's out-of-state so no laundry done.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

5.  thumb.gifhang.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I'm Laura, a stay-at-home mom  to two cute little twerplings. 

My goal is to finish off the emergency fund (allllllllmost there!) of 6-months worth of DH's income. 

I will get there by shopping at the Cheapy-mart, making my own lattes at home, curbing my yarn purchases redface.gif, and coming here to record

eyesroll.gif = Blew it with unbudgeted spending

orngbiggrin.gif = Kicked butt with only budgeted or no spending

1. eyesroll.gif $36.00 haircut; $10 book

2. orngbiggrin.gif No spending today

3. eyesroll.gif Cut hair to fix the crappy cut that I got on the 1st ($25.00), $66.00 groceries

4: orngbiggrin.gif Nada

5: eyesroll.gif $10.00 eating out because I didn't pack a lunch

6: orngbiggrin.gif $10.50 budgeted lunch and eyesroll.gif $8.50 unbudgeted breakfast

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM

We spent $19 tonight on dinner...I have been very sick and not up to cooking. Oh and $25 at the doggie daycare. Hoping to make tomorrow and Friday no spend days. Saturday will involve $80 spent on infant CPR class for hubby and me; we'll also have to buy a couple 2 litres of soda for a friend's get together Sunday. That should be it though!

Edit - hubby bought juice today for the sickie family. Feeling a bit better today and was able to make awesome veggie stir fry for dinner. :)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Meg - good luck on that girl wink1.gif

I'm coming up on needing to buy more diapers and pull-ups. We have a huge cloth diaper stash that we used for 2 years, but I got lazy when my baby got sick. I really should pull them out. This challenge should be my motivation, right? OK, going to pull out diapers now...

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM

I bought a Starbucks gift card for myself today (using xmas $ my grandma sent me). My intention is to limit my coffee habit this way, but still allow myself the occasional coffee. I am planning to make my $20 card last for the month of January. When it's used up, no more Starbucks for me (until the new month). Oh, these little games I play with myself.....

1/1 thumb.gif budgeted spend - long johns and socks for kids

1/2 orngbiggrin.gif no spend

1/3 thumb.gif big budgeted spend day - groceries, supplements, carwash (which I hate to pay for but was desperately needed), b'day gift for my mom. Sold some books at used book store.

1/4 orngbiggrin.gif no spend!

1/5 thumb.gif budgeted spend - some household supplies (soap, dog food for pet food drive at DD1's school (we don't have a dog!), b'day gift for DD2's preschool friend, art supplies for school project, 2 grocery items, Starbucks gift card

1/6 orngbiggrin.gif Trying for another no spend tomorrow. Entering it here early will help motivate me!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad-at-heart View Post

Hello,

can we join, too?

It's my first time in this section, but our bank accounts could really use some boost in this new year...

1.) Who we are?

It's me, a part- time working mom of a wonderful daughter and a fulltime working dad.

2) where do we want to get?

Finally, have the 6 months of income as savings just in case something should happen... And also have some money for extras like our immigration or eating organic (which we just started, we'll see if we can stick to it) or maybe even a vacation...

3) How?

Cut out most unneccesary spending. We're big with that: coffee, eating out, malls... I don't even konw if we can cut out all unnecessary spending because we seem to be addicted to that sort of burning money. I think sometimes we just feel like we deserve it, and then, we just spend money... So this is my first attempt in 2011 to at least be tracking where the money goes....

I have already been doing meal planning for quite a while and try to always take my lunch with me to work (and so does dh)- that really helped but seemd not to have been enough. We'll see...

Jan. 1) 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif 15 $ movie rentals, but that was good and needed for our inner peace, so I won't complainsmile.gif

Jan 2) 140 groceries online. They should last for one week, so we're good (yes, unfortunately, groceries are so expensive around here). 

But, again: 10 $ at coffee shop irked.gif Around 10 $ eating out irked.gif 570 $ daycare greensad.gif, but that was planned.

Thank you for your inspiration:-)

Cheers,

nomad

I am the coffee addict in our family, I have found that if I crave Starbucks I can mix my homemade hot chocolate mix with a tsp of instant coffee. Not the same but it takes away the craving and it's super cheap. I tend to drink it every day because I'm also on ww and it's only 2 points as opposed to a cafe mocha at 8.

hi micha-maeh,

thank you for the advice. that actually sounds very yummy, and I think  I will give it a try, as soon as I get some instant coffee...

ooh boy, my no spend challenge really is a challenge...

Jan 1) 35$

jan 2) 150

jan 3) 60 $ for family time

jan 4) 35$ gas

jan 5) 0! yeah! but have I mentioned that DH's laptop broke yesterday? so we need a new one- he's an it-guy and needs it for work. Crap !

take care,

nomad

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Okay.  I adjusted the amount I want to save upwards after DH and I had a financial talk last night.  I think we're on the same page, and we're both really motivated to get our ugly bathroom remodeled   love.gif

We skipped the movie we had planned on and went to Menards to buy materials to make some shelves in the basement for our food storage.  It wasn't in our budget right this minute, but we could afford it.  We both have some tin foil hat-type leanings, and our basement is so messy right now that it makes me crazy.  As part of the decluttering/purging/cleaning binge we're on, we felt that we should make these new shelves while we have the time and motivation. Since we'll still be able to meet our savings goal, we decided to go for it.

My key:

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Spending within budget

irked.gif  Over budget, but necessary

bag.gif  Not necessary, not budgeted

1/01  love.gif (well, I bought Starbucks with a gift card I got fir Christmas...)

1/02  thumb.gif  Ate dinner out at work with DH, DS, and in-laws

1/03  thumb.gif  Grocery shopping

1/04  thumb.gif $20 for baby clothes

1/05  thumb.gif Going out to dinner ($20) and a movie, irked.gif  bought materials for food storage shelves in basement ($70 out of savings)

1/06  love.gif projected      pprojecpr

Goals:

Work lunches  $4/$60

Groceries $132.58/$500

Savings  $330/$600 

Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwmomof2 View Post

I bought a Starbucks gift card for myself today (using xmas $ my grandma sent me). My intention is to limit my coffee habit this way, but still allow myself the occasional coffee. I am planning to make my $20 card last for the month of January. When it's used up, no more Starbucks for me (until the new month). Oh, these little games I play with myself.....

Ugh, I KNOW!  It's totally appropriate that the Starbucks logo is a Siren.  It hasn't quite been a budget-buster for me, but I still end up there WAY more often than I'd like to admit.  Once of the tactics I've been using is to buy a large, then drink half one day and the rest the next. 

Another thing I've done is to buy cherry flavored coffee (Meijer), brew it strong, then mix it with milk and Ghirardelli cocoa powder.  Not quite a dark cherry mocha, but still yummy.  I'm sure it would work with other flavors of coffee as well.  I keep thinking I should just buy an espresso machine and get it over with.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM

1. thumb.gif

2. smile.gif

3. thumb.gif

4. & 5. smile.gif I had to split grocery shopping over two days because of lack of energy.  I actually forgot a couple things that DH will pick up today on his way back from work.  But, I spent $132.93/$400.  Also got the convection oven using Christmas money, but that's not in the budget since I'm counting it as a gift.  Also $100 for the homeopath and $2 for a sample tube of homeopathically compatible toothpaste.

Key:

smile.gif  budgeted spending
thumb.gif true no-spend day
bag.gif bad bad bad

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

We put gas in my car today with cash from tips and we bought a DVD player with $25 store credit at the pawn shop. Oh, and we got coffee with a gift card. SO, no extra money spent smile.gif

Jan 1 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 2 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 3 smile.gif
Jan 4 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 5 smile.gif
Jan 6 smile.gif

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

1/1- NS

2 NS

3 NS

4- groceries $112

5- NS

Goals

Groceries- 112/500

Gasoline- 0/140

Kid spending- 0/20

homeschool- 0/20

car payment -0/500

Gift cards to use this month- reminding myself that I can shop a little without breaking the budget!

kohls- $29

Joann- $40

Old Navy $39

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Stayed under my $60 grocery goal last night - spent $54 thanks to a nice cashier who let me use multiple coupons on the same item. She had to manually override the cash register's computer to do it, but she did. :D

I came *this close* to buying music on iTunes this afternoon before I remembered about this no-spend thing. Granted, I need this music for something I'm doing work-related, but I can check it out of the library for free. I already checked the catalog and they have it. Saved: $7.99+tax

Made a big crock pot of vegetable soup last night that should last us for a while, and we can add different things to it as we go along to keep it from getting boring.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Key:

January Goals

no spend days  6/20

eating out  0/0

loads of laundry hung to dry  4/8

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

4.  thumb.gif hang.gif

5.  thumb.gif hang.gif

6.  thumb.gif hang.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Woohoo! I found a $20 gift card in my wallet that I forgot to use, along with a $10 off $50 coupon and I've got $30 extra in there for savings (maybe). Tomorrow should be a no-spend day unless I go out to the store (with a points program) to take advantage of a spend $50 get a $10 gift card while stocking up on milk & bread, etc. Saturday will be the real test as DH is home and we usually do our shopping then.

Meg
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Jan 1: no spend
Jan 2: hairbrush, fast food

Jan 3: holy bills, Batman: mortgage, personal trainer, insurance and a buy-one-get-one massage coupon for DH

Jan 4: Target household stuff and junky groceries, DS' new medicine (no generic available! lovely!), fast food

Jan 5: real groceries at TJ's and WF, oils for this facial cleansing method I'd heard so much about

Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Hi, I'm new to this sub-forum but I really need to be here!

a. Who you are:  It's me, DH, 3yo DS1, and 3mo DS2.  I'm usually a FT WOHM but I'm on unpaid maternity leave until April.  I'd love to be a SAHM but I'm the majority wage earner and our savings is taking a hit with my staying home. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  We're currently carrying student loans (mine) that will be paid off in a year, DH's car loan, and the mortgage.  We have a bit of savings in addition to our retirement savings, but we're drawing on that for me to stay home for DS2's first 6 months.  Our big goal is to get right-side up on our mortgage and start saving to buy our dream home.  We still have DH's VA loan to draw on but I want to make a big down payment.

c. How you plan to get there:  DH and I both have stable jobs with good incomes.  Unfortunately we've fallen into a lot of impulse buying and unnecessary spending.  When DS2 was born I had something of an orgy of online spending for him bag.gif.  Babysteals and zulily are teh enemy!  So we both need to get a handle on that.  I've been doing really well with menu planning and so-so with not buying out.  I too am a Starbucks addict =\

We have a lot of upcoming expenses this year -- I'm taking the boys to CA to visit their grandparents in March.  While I'm gone DH will be insulating and drywalling the unfinished part of the basement.  Then we'll be hiring someone to finish the basement bathroom and we'll be replacing the flooring on two levels at least of our townhouse.  I view all of the home improvements as working towards getting "rightside up" though since they increase the value of our home.  It'll be hard with the additional expense of two kids in daycare, though.

Anyhow, I'd love to use this thread to keep me honest with my spending.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Mattemma sahm to 2.Dh is a driver with a modest income. Will try not to use my credit card(just paid it off!) and spend only $100 cash weekly on food and supplies.Will record all bills and daily spending.Will put aside $25-50 weekly into savings.The more we stay home the more NO SPEND DAYs I will have,unless ofcourse I am paying bills online! I already know we will be home this weekend,and all bills are paid for the moment.Best wishes to all!

1-1 NO SPEND DAYthumbsup.gif

1-2 NO SPEND DAYthumbsup.gif

1-3 NO SPEND DAYthumbsup.gif

1-4 Tire repair(nail) $18, Food $100, Pizza $6, Savings $20, Mega lotto $3

1-5 Cell $110, Garbage $45, Dog license $30, School Pizza $12, Credit Card $100

1-6 Marcs $7, Gas $23

1-7 Aldis $90, Walmart $55

1-8 NO SPEND DAY thumbsup.gif

1-9 NO SPEND DAYthumbsup.gif

1-10 Food $9, Meds $55, Feed store $70, Big Lots $10

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM

thumb.gif = No-spend day

smile.gif   = Budgeted spending

orngbiggrin.gif   = Under budget!

greensad.gif   = Unbudgeted/Unnecessary spending

1/05: thumb.gif (actually made money with a price adjustment & a return! this will pay for a bookcase we were planning to buy)

1/06: thumb.gif

1/07: greensad.gif $47 - couldn't resist a Gap sale. in my defence, DS DOES need it, I just didn't plan when I'd buy it.

Progress:

Paid to credit cards: $447/$2300

Groceries $0/$295

Savings  $100/$250

Meg
Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Key:

January Goals

no spend/ budgeted days  6/20

eating out  0/0

loads of laundry hung to dry  4/8

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

4.  thumb.gif hang.gif

5.  thumb.gif hang.gif

6.  thumb.gif hang.gif

7.  irked.gif  DH stopped at the store and picked up some ice cream and cookies.

ETA~ I have to take away my no spend day for today.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM

I read something recently that I found quite interesting: the idea of a no spend week. It was in the book "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Map to True Riches," by Jeff Yeager. In it, he recommends doing a "fiscal fast" for one whole week. No spending. at. all. Not even bills, groceries, gas for the car. I am intrigued by this and I think I'm going to give it a go. I can't remember if I've ever before gone a week without spending, in my entire adult life. Okay, I know I did it as a 20-something year old on a 10 day backpacking trip in the Sierras (no phones, no lights, no motorcars), but that was nearly 20 years ago and I think it is time to try it again. Anyone else up for the challenge? Maybe this should be it's own thread?

1/1 thumb.gif budgeted spend - long johns and socks for kids

1/3 thumb.gif big budgeted spend day - groceries, supplements, carwash (which I hate to pay for but was desperately needed), b'day gift for my mom. Sold some books at used book store.

1/5 thumb.gif budgeted spend - some household supplies (soap, dog food for pet food drive at DD1's school (we don't have a dog!), b'day gift for DD2's preschool friend, art supplies for school project, 2 grocery items, Starbucks gift card

1/6 orngbiggrin.gif no spend

1/7 thumb.gif batteries, photo printing for school project

Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Jan 1 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 2 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 3 smile.gif
Jan 4 orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 5 smile.gif 1st paycheck
Jan 6 bag.gif Ended up buying a drink with the girls, but no dinner smile.gif $10
Jan 7 smile.gif 2nd paycheck - budgeted spend day: mortgage and $34 vet bill.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Yesterday, spent $30 on gas and $7 on food for the ratties. Day before, N/S.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Jan 1: thumb.gif No spend

Jan 2: smile.gif Budgeted spend

Jan 3: thumb.gif No spend

Jan 4: smile.gif Budgeted spen

Jan 5: thumb.gif No spend

Jan 6: smile.gif Budgeted spend

Jan 7: thumb.gif No spend

Jan 8: thumb.gif No spend

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM

/1 thumb.gif budgeted spend - long johns and socks for kids

1/6 orngbiggrin.gif no spend

1/7 thumb.gif batteries, photo printing for school project

1/8 orngbiggrin.gif no spend

Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM

a. Who you are:    We are WAHM, WOHD, dd 6 years, ds 2 years.  We hope to conceive this year

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and:  Financially we would like to pay off our credit card about ($3500) and pay off my car about ($1000) so dh can get a new (used) vehicle.  Hope to have have at least $1000 in savings by the end of the year.

c. How you plan to get there:  Dh has interviewed for a new job and we are hoping that he gets it.  I plan on doing meal planning, growing a vegetable garden this summer.  Also sticking to the budget and grocery list.

1/1 ~ $5.79 on Slurpee's  greensad.gif

1/2 ~ $10 on prescription for ds

1/3 ~ No spend, No drive day joy.gif

1/4 ~ No spend day  joy.gif

1/5 ~ budgeted spending food and such  thumb.gif

1/6 ~ $17 on snacks, pop and velcro to make reusable ziploc bags.  greensad.gif 

1/7 ~ un-necessary spending on lunch, frames $11.75 greensad.gif

1/8 ~ bought groceries we didn't have to have but will use  duh.gif

1/9 ~ no spend joy.gif

1/10 ~ no spendjoy.gif

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM

a.  Michelle mama to two dc.

b.  Pay off debt, not spend unnecessarily and save.

c.  By staying out of stores, cutting up all credit cards, meal planning, and going to try washing the clothes on cold (except bed sheets and diapers.)

Key:
joy.gif - no spend
smile.gif - necessary/budgeted spend
- unnecessary spend

Jan 1- smile.gif

Jan 2- smile.gif

Jan 3- smile.gif

Jan 4- joy.gif

Jan 5-joy.gif

Jan 6- smile.gif

Jan 7- joy.gif

Jan 8-smile.gif groceries

Jan 9- joy.gif

Jan 10- joy.gif(well, dh did get a beer)

Jan 11- joy.gif

Jan 12- me joy.gif, dh beer and lunch

Jan 13-

Jan 14-

Jan 15-

Jan 16-

Jan 17-

Jan 18-

Jan 19-

Jan 20-

Jan 21-

Jan 22-

Jan 23-

Jan 24-

Jan 25-

Jan 26-

Jan 27-

Jan 28-

Jan 29-

Jan 30-

Jan 31-

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Jan 1: no spend
Jan 2: hairbrush, fast food

Jan 3: holy bills, Batman: mortgage, personal trainer, insurance and a buy-one-get-one massage coupon for DH

Jan 4: Target household stuff and junky groceries, DS' new medicine (no generic available! lovely!), fast food

Jan 5: real groceries at TJ's and WF, oils for this facial cleansing method I'd heard so much about

Jan 6: DH repurchased Angry Birds (WTF???) and went to Jack in the Box. 

Jan 7: check I wrote in NOVEMBER to the preschool book fair was finally cashed - see, this is the reason I heart my checking account cushion

Jan 8: copay for DD's prescription, candy after DS' b-ball game

Jan 9: I promised to buy DS a Sonic the Hedgehog plush toy if he does his worksheets at Hebrew School

User Tag List