January 2011 Home Cooking Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Melissel- no recipe for the wings, but what I did was parboil my wings, then added them to the crockpot with bbq sauce or you could do hot sauce/butter. I finished them off in the oven so they would crisp up. Kids liked them and they were easy peasy. I think I baked them at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Interesting, thank you! I love the addition of the crock pot to save time!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM

I can't copy and paste anymore without the text moving all the way across the page.

1-12 b: smoothie, bagel

l: chicken salad sandwich (turned the other day's not so good chicken into really good chicken salad), broccoli cheese soup

d: spaghetti with broccoli or hamburgers and fries

Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 AM

zomg, we are still sick / getting better.  i have not kept up with this thread.  i have also not been grocery shopping.  i'm going to do a quick stop today to get us through the next few days with some really easy stuff, but i also want to plan for next week and do my big shopping day saturday.  i'm going to go back and catch up on the thread to get some yummy meal ideas!

so for the next few days (dinners only) i'm going to pick up:

tortillas, cheese, salsa (already have black beans at home, plus raw veggies and some fruit to have with it)

pasta and parmesan cheese (already have garlic, olive oil, and frozen veggies)

will probably make a quick lentil soup friday, already have that stuff

i'm still pretty low energy, getting over this "crud" and having been awake a lot at night with my younger ds.  i'm sure i'll be ready to stock up on saturday and get things prepped for a week of hopefully lots of crock pot cooking and other yummy but quick/easy homemade goodness!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jan 1: breakfast: eggs in the hole; lunch: turkey sandwiches; dinner: leftover meat gravy & mashed potatoes with carrot sticks
Jan 2: breakfast: bagels; lunch & dinner: visiting family who fed us
Jan 3: breakfast: oatmeal w/ berries & brown sugar; lunch: canned soup & bread (not exactly home cooking, but the bread was homemade); dinner: tomato macaroni & cheese, carrot sticks, leftover green beans
Jan 4: breakfast: scrambled eggs, toast, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: pork roast, mashed potatoes, squash, cinnamon rolls
Jan 5: breakfast: fried eggs, toast, sauteed onions, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, squash, cauliflower/celery/cherry tomatoes & veggie dip
Jan 6: breakfast: cold cereal (not planned, our morning went poorly!); lunch: lentil soup with bread; dinner, baked beans (from a can, but I'm OK with it) and cheese toast with tomatoes, cauliflower, & celery
Jan 7: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh, again); lunch: leftovers; dinner: clam chowder w/carrots & corn, bread
Jan 8: breakfast: smoothies; lunch: pancakes; dinner: tuna casserole, cold veggies & dip
Jan 9: breakfast: l.o. pancakes; lunch: l.o. tuna casserole; dinner: blts
Jan 10: breakfast: oatmeal; lunch: fail (out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, cold veggies & dip (yes, we've been eating this a lot... I picked up a couple of pork roasts on sale)

Jan 11: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh); lunch: another fail (again out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: homemade tomato mac & cheese

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

today we are snowed in so we did oatmeal topped with homemade applesauce and cinnamon and ginger for breakfast and chicken noodle soup and broccoli cheese soup with homemade bread for lunch after shoveling.  used mostly stems for the broccoli cheese soup so it was like free broccoli.  shredded in some carrot ends too.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Made 2 loaves of sandwich bread, also made extra rice for tomorrow

PLEASE tell me how you make sandwich bread. My boyfriend wants me to make sandwich bread instead of crusty/no knead breads, and I have no idea how to get it just right. He loves the store-bought white bread. :(

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Today was a total flop. Well, not totally; we ate at home eat.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

Quote:

Made 2 loaves of sandwich bread, also made extra rice for tomorrow

PLEASE tell me how you make sandwich bread. My boyfriend wants me to make sandwich bread instead of crusty/no knead breads, and I have no idea how to get it just right. He loves the store-bought white bread. :(

Well, the loaf I mad yesterday was an amish bread and it did make a nice sandwich bread- let me grab the recipe.

My friend who makes bread for a living, said that the best white bread recipe she has found comes from the old standard- betty crocker white. Let me tell you, her bread is amazing!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jan 1: breakfast: eggs in the hole; lunch: turkey sandwiches; dinner: leftover meat gravy & mashed potatoes with carrot sticks
Jan 2: breakfast: bagels; lunch & dinner: visiting family who fed us
Jan 3: breakfast: oatmeal w/ berries & brown sugar; lunch: canned soup & bread (not exactly home cooking, but the bread was homemade); dinner: tomato macaroni & cheese, carrot sticks, leftover green beans
Jan 4: breakfast: scrambled eggs, toast, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: pork roast, mashed potatoes, squash, cinnamon rolls
Jan 5: breakfast: fried eggs, toast, sauteed onions, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, squash, cauliflower/celery/cherry tomatoes & veggie dip
Jan 6: breakfast: cold cereal (not planned, our morning went poorly!); lunch: lentil soup with bread; dinner, baked beans (from a can, but I'm OK with it) and cheese toast with tomatoes, cauliflower, & celery
Jan 7: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh, again); lunch: leftovers; dinner: clam chowder w/carrots & corn, bread
Jan 8: breakfast: smoothies; lunch: pancakes; dinner: tuna casserole, cold veggies & dip
Jan 9: breakfast: l.o. pancakes; lunch: l.o. tuna casserole; dinner: blts
Jan 10: breakfast: oatmeal; lunch: fail (out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, cold veggies & dip (yes, we've been eating this a lot... I picked up a couple of pork roasts on sale)
Jan 11: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh); lunch: another fail (again out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: homemade tomato mac & cheese

Jan 12: breakfast: cold cereal again!; lunch: leftover pasta; dinner: Danish homefries (a pan of homefries topped with fried eggs & melted cheese), cold veg & dip

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 AM

1-13 b: smoothie, bagel

l: broccoli cheese soup and a hotdog (bleck, but I was in a hurry)

d: quesadillas

Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 AM

1/12- We ended up ordering pizza, we had budgeted for a possible eat out night, and it was the cheap night, so not as pricey.

I made peanut butter cookies

1/13- PBJ

Veggie lasagna prepped today for tomorrow

wild rice soup?

1/14 - Leftovers

Lasagna

Begin roast for Sat/Sunday

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 AM

I haven't kept track of what we have for which meal, but... We've been doing a lot of salads (very popular in our house!), spaghetti, oatmeal, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, pitas stuffed with a variety of things (salad and veggies and a spoonful of Greek yogurt is probably my favorite). We'll have tacos for dinner tonight or the next night. I'm going to "feed the freezer" tonight with turkey meatballs, a favorite baked macaroni dish that everyone likes, and banana bread.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 AM

1/9: Leftover pot pie filling for lunch, broccoli cheese soup for dinner

1/10: Soup for lunch, tuna melts and chocolate chip cookies for dinner

1/11: Bits and pieces for lunch (cheese sticks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.--we were running around), Hopping John for dinner (this turned out SO good, even though I deviated from the recipe and used brown rice, cooked IN the pot--this recipe is definitely a keeper)

1/12: Leftover Hopping John for lunch, sandwiches after gymnastics for dinner

Planned:

1/13: Dinner on my own tonight, which is easy, but that's because DH is taking the girls to his mom's, which always means spending $$$ on dinner there *sigh*

1/14: Chicken apple sausage and peppers for dinner (a quick one-pan meal after Girl Scouts)

1/15: Baked buffalo wings and celery for dinner (still looking for a recipe for this one, if anyone has a favorite!)

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM

1/11 leftover baked pasta dish, green salad

1/12 oven fried chicken, honey-mustard roasted potatotes, acorn squash with apple chutny glaze, and mixed veggies.

1/13 leftovers from last night

planning:

1/14 chicago style deep dish pizza (made at home in my cast iron skillet), sliced raw carrotts.

1/15 ?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Posthoney-mustard roasted potatotes

Ooh, may I have this recipe?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

lurk.gif (homemade popcorn, of course!)

Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM

made my list for next week!

saturday: brunch hotdish (it's a cheesy hashbrown thing) with fruit, not planning lunch/dinner because we will be going out with my mom

sunday: pancakes, lunch/dinner with mom (what can i say? she likes to go out!  hmm, might explain my issues!)

- weekday breakfasts, i like oatmeal a lot and i'm going to attempt to do steel cut oats soaked overnight, every day -

- weekday lunches, kids eat at preschool, i am doing herbalife for january, please don't lecture me, lol! -

monday: enchilada hotdish (crockpot!)

tuesday: veggie burgers that are on sale in january

wednesday: carrot curry soup (crockpot!)

thursday: spinach-zucchini lasagna (crockpot!)

friday: kale & white bean minestrone (beans in crockpot, will have a little work when i get home but not too long)

and actually, i also made my menu for the following week although i didn't do the shopping list yet:

saturday: omelets, leftovers for lunch, wild rice burgers for dinner (homemade! and will use up that package of buns)

sunday: BLTs for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, lentil soup for dinner

monday: my auntie's corn hotdish w/ veggie sausage

tuesday: chili (crockpot!) (and the leftover corn hotdish will be so good with it)

wednesday: pasta (i just do olive oil, garlic and parmesan usually, with a veggie - and i use barilla plus, which has weird stuff like lentil flour, chickpea flour . . . protein!)

thursday: ratatouille (crockpot!)

friday: leftovers (hmm, should have plenty to choose from!  maybe pasta with ratatouille as the sauce)

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Totally late to the party but I'd love to join in!

11th - Blackened salmon, couscous and steamed broccoli

12th - Three bean chili with chorizo over brown rice

13th - Lemon pepper shrimp with cheesy orzo and steamed kale

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Jan. 1. eat.gif Baked perogies with spinach.

Jan.2. eat.gif I had some macaroni and cheese tonight.

Jan. 3. eat.gif Baked mac and cheese.

Jan. 4. eat.gif Lentil Quesadillas

Jan. 5 . eat.gif I had left overs from last night and then a nice green smoothie, well it was nice and purple b/c it had blueberries in it! Tasty!

Jan. 6. eat.gif I had left overs again, so lentil quesadillas and a green smoothie! I made sooooo much smoothie that I have like 4 servings it! lol Good thing I love my smoothies!

Jan. 7. eat.gif I just had some pasta with sauce, nothing special at all. but at least I didn't order out.

Jan.8. eat.gif I had leftovers from last night that I added a can of crushed tomatoes, garlic and cheese to and then baked.

Jan.9. eat.gif I made an eggplant tomato casserole today. It's the very first time I've ever bought an eggplant before. It turned out all right, but a little mushy. I'll do it a little differently next time. I have left overs for tomorrow.

Jan. 10. eat.gif I had leftovers from last night for dinner. For lynch I had New York Fries and a smoothie at the food court b/c I was at the mall with a friend and we treated ourselves.

Jan. 11. eat.gif I had some pasta and cheese tonight. I almost ordered in! I had a long day out and I was so hungry when I got home, but I didn't let myself order b/c I did have another lunch out today.

Jan.12. Jan. 1. eat.gif Baked perogies with spinach.

Jan. 5 . eat.gif I had left overs from last night and then a nice green smoothie, well it was nice and purple b/c it had blueberries in it! Tasty!

Jan. 6. eat.gif I had left overs again, so lentil quesadillas and a green smoothie! I made sooooo much smoothie that I have like 4 servings it! lol Good thing I love my smoothies!

Jan. 7. eat.gif I just had some pasta with sauce, nothing special at all. but at least I didn't order out.

Jan.8. eat.gif I had leftovers from last night that I added a can of crushed tomatoes, garlic and cheese to and then baked.

Jan.9. eat.gif I made an eggplant tomato casserole today. It's the very first time I've ever bought an eggplant before. It turned out all right, but a little mushy. I'll do it a little differently next time. I have left overs for tomorrow.

Jan. 10. eat.gif I had leftovers from last night for dinner. For lynch I had New York Fries and a smoothie at the food court b/c I was at the mall with a friend and we treated ourselves.

Jan. 11. eat.gif I had some pasta and cheese tonight. I almost ordered in! I had a long day out and I was so hungry when I got home, but I didn't let myself order b/c I did have another lunch out today. Jan. 1. eat.gif Baked perogies with spinach.

Jan. 11. eat.gif I had some pasta and cheese tonight. I almost ordered in! I had a long day out and I was so hungry when I got home, but I didn't let myself order b/c I did have another lunch out today.

Jan.12. eat.gif I had some leftover pasta with cheese and the eggplant stuff from before tossed over it. It was pretty good!

Jan.13. eat.gif I made some oven baked fries and a veggie burger and a nice green smoothie!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post

monday: enchilada hotdish (crockpot!)

thursday: spinach-zucchini lasagna (crockpot!)

Would you mind posting those recipes?  I need more crockpot stuff.

1-14 b:egg sandwiches

l:I think I'll have a chicken salad wrap, no clue what ds1 will want

d: pizza for the boys, tomato chicken alfredo for dh and I with salad and hopefully garlic bread (my breadmaker is finicky!)

Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 AM

i'm not one to cook exactly according to a recipe, but i use recipes a lot for ideas and guidelines on the proportion of ingredients, temperature and how long to cook.  so what i did was google vegetarian enchilada casserole crockpot recipe, and vegetarian lasagna crockpot recipe.  these are the recipes i'm using as guidelines (and to make my shopping list):

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-vegetarian-lasagna-173879 but i'm not using mushrooms because i hate them, and adding zucchini because i love it

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/48/Vegetarian_Enchilada_Casserole57470.shtml but i'm adding cheese, because who would want to eat this without cheese?!  also, i would normally probably not use salsa, because that sounds weird to me - i'd probably buy cans of enchilada sauce. however, i have a big jar of salsa that i don't love, that my mom left at my house, that i'm going to use up in this recipe.  i might make some rice or something to go with it too, idk.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM

You're my kinda cook! :)  I use recipes as a kind of vague guide. 

Thanks for posting those (and your modifications)! 

Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM

i call it intuitive cooking.  yummy.gif

Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Jan. 1. eat.gif Baked perogies with spinach. 

Jan 12.eat.gif Left over pasta with the eggplant I made the other night. 

Jan 13eat.gif I had home made fries, a veggie burger and a green smoothie.

Jan 14eat.gif I had some pasta and cheese tonight for dinner. A bit boring and I had a lunch out. It was a nice treat with a friend.

I realize that I've eaten lunch out 3 times this month, this week actually! Pretty unusual for me and it won't happen as much next month that's for sure.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM

14th - Spice rubbed pork chops with apple cranberry chutney and green beans

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissel View Post

Quote:

Quote:

lurk.gif (homemade popcorn, of course!)

Here is the link to the recipe. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Honey-Roasted-Red-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

I use any type of potato or onion that I have received from my CSA. Usually I double it and end up splitting the fat between EVOO & butter. I adjust cooking time based on whatever else I have in the oven. They always come out yummy and are really easy. My sons eat the leftovers with eggs & veggies for breakfast.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 AM

So we have falled off the wagon. My ds6 was in bed with a high fever on 1/13. He was so miserable & listless I just stayed with him. So, my dh went out and picked up a family style dinner of pulled pork, coleslaw, & beans from our local bbq place.

1/14 I woke up with the same fever/virus, sick in bed with ds all day. Dh ordered pizza for him and other ds.

1/15 I am still sick in bed with a fever, but ds feels better. Hopefully they will at least eat leftovers, but if not I am not going to complain. My dh is trying hard to take care of us and I even heard him cleaning the kitchen, even though the rest of the house has gone to he**.

Hopefully I will be back to normal by tomorrow and be able to be up & about.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM

1-15 b: pop tart (I think they're reproducing in my cupboard)

l: leftovers or a sandwich probably

d: stuffed chicken breast, rice, veggie

Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post

i call it intuitive cooking.  yummy.gif

This is pretty much what I do too.  So many times I don't have the exact ingredients called for in recipes, so I do a lot of substituting.  Every once in awhile I try to be a fancy cook, but it never lasts.  Simple works better for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

So we have falled off the wagon. My ds6 was in bed with a high fever on 1/13. He was so miserable & listless I just stayed with him. So, my dh went out and picked up a family style dinner of pulled pork, coleslaw, & beans from our local bbq place.

Hope you're feeling better!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Jan 1: leftovers for lunch; Burgers & salad for dinner

Jan 2: Tilapia/fish sticks/salmon & salad for lunch, omlettes for dinner

Jan 3: eggplant parmesan

Jan 4: roasted chicken

Jan 5: pizza

Jan 6: hot dogs (boo hiss!!!  was supposed to be beef roast, but the roast burned in the crockpot)

Jan 7: lasagna, garlic bread, broccoli, key lime cheesecake bars for dessert (had company for dinner)

Jan 8: leftovers for lunch, chicken/squash/rice soup for dinner

Jan 9: leftovers/pasta for lunch, homemade pizza for dinner

Jan 10: burgers and sweet potato fries

Jan 11: Brinner- pancakes, eggs, bacon, fruit

Jan 12: Crockpot chicken with apricots and dates

Jan 13: Tortilla crusted Tilapia

Jan 14: Quesadillas

Jan 15: going to my mom's for dinner :)

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List