January 2011 Home Cooking Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 235 Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Upon the impromptu news that my family is coming into town today (and the fact that it's a really yucky day out) we're changing the meal plan from Breakfast Tortillas to Hot n' Sour Soup, Salad, and Homemade Bread today.  I made some no-knead bread yesterday that came out fantastic.  DH said it was the best one I've made so far.  I'm chalking that up the fact that we finally have a dutch oven for it.  I love cooking with the dutch oven so I'm now looking for recipes that use it.  So far I've made no-knead bread, roasted veggies, and soups in it.

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#182 of 235 Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM

1/9: Leftover pot pie filling for lunch, broccoli cheese soup for dinner

1/10: Soup for lunch, tuna melts and chocolate chip cookies for dinner

1/11: Bits and pieces for lunch (cheese sticks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.--we were running around), Hopping John for dinner (this turned out SO good, even though I deviated from the recipe and used brown rice, cooked IN the pot--this recipe is definitely a keeper)

1/12: Leftover Hopping John for lunch, sandwiches after gymnastics for dinner

1/13: Dinner on my own tonight, which is easy, but that's because DH is taking the girls to his mom's, which always means spending $$$ on dinner there *sigh* (GAH!!! $50 on Applebee's! I had yogurt and blueberries and granola and picked at some leftover lunch meats at home)

1/14: Lunch at home (can't remember what!), broccoli cheese soup for dinner (big hit here!)

1/15: My parents called to take us out dinner, so we ate out but didn't pay. Awesome burger.

1/16: Baked buffalo wings and celery for dinner (found a recipe I really liked for this one, it's a keeper)

1/17: Lunch at home (can't remember what), white chicken chili for dinner

1/18: Leftover chili for lunch, spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner

1/19: Tuna and whole grain crackers and fruit for lunch, grilled ham and cheese sammiches for quick dinner after gymnastics

1/20: Burgers instead of meatloaf (ran out of time), DH's yummy cheesy cauliflower-potato mash, and salads

Planned:

1/21: Seared scallops for three of us, something else for one, butternut squash risotto

1/22: Meatloaf (broke down and bought the mushrooms, they add SO much to the meatloaf)

1/23: Roasted chicken and roasted beets with goat cheese

1/24: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#183 of 235 Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Tonight I'm making congee.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#184 of 235 Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Well I caved tonight and ordered bag.gif My reason was b/c yes, I was hungry and hadn't eaten on time and I knew it would be a while before I'd be able to get to the kitchen and make something b/c I had to settle my son who's been fussy the past couple of days. I really should have just had a bowl of cereal though.

1-20 eat.gif

Jan 19 bag.gif
#185 of 235 Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jan 1: breakfast: eggs in the hole; lunch: turkey sandwiches; dinner: leftover meat gravy & mashed potatoes with carrot sticks
Jan 2: breakfast: bagels; lunch & dinner: visiting family who fed us
Jan 3: breakfast: oatmeal w/ berries & brown sugar; lunch: canned soup & bread (not exactly home cooking, but the bread was homemade); dinner: tomato macaroni & cheese, carrot sticks, leftover green beans
Jan 4: breakfast: scrambled eggs, toast, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: pork roast, mashed potatoes, squash, cinnamon rolls
Jan 5: breakfast: fried eggs, toast, sauteed onions, fruit; lunch: leftovers; dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, squash, cauliflower/celery/cherry tomatoes & veggie dip
Jan 6: breakfast: cold cereal (not planned, our morning went poorly!); lunch: lentil soup with bread; dinner, baked beans (from a can, but I'm OK with it) and cheese toast with tomatoes, cauliflower, & celery
Jan 7: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh, again); lunch: leftovers; dinner: clam chowder w/carrots & corn, bread
Jan 8: breakfast: smoothies; lunch: pancakes; dinner: tuna casserole, cold veggies & dip
Jan 9: breakfast: l.o. pancakes; lunch: l.o. tuna casserole; dinner: blts
Jan 10: breakfast: oatmeal; lunch: fail (out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: mashed potatoes, meat gravy, cold veggies & dip (yes, we've been eating this a lot... I picked up a couple of pork roasts on sale)
Jan 11: breakfast: cold cereal (d'oh); lunch: another fail (again out running errands, kids w/grandma); dinner: homemade tomato mac & cheese
Jan 12: breakfast: cold cereal again!; lunch: leftover pasta; dinner: Danish homefries (a pan of homefries topped with fried eggs & melted cheese), cold veg & dip
Jan 13: breakfast: toast & fruit; lunch: deli chicken meal (d'oh!); dinner: leftovers
Jan 14: breakfast: cold cereal; lunch: sandwiches; dinner: fish chowder
Jan 15: breakfast: smoothies; lunch: leftovers; dinner: pancakes
Jan 16: breakfast: pancakes; lunch: leftovers; dinner: vegetable soup & bread
Jan 17: breakfast: cold cereal again; lunch: tuna casserole, cold veggies; dinner: was supposed to be a roast etc., but it took way longer to cook than I expected. We had leftovers.

Jan 18: breakfast: cold cereal; lunch: leftovers; dinner: tomato mac & cheese, cold veggies

Jan 19: breakfast: cold cereal; lunch: leftovers; dinner: bean & meat fajita-ish filling with rice, cooked carrots

Jan 20: breakfast: cold cereal; lunch: leftovers; dinner: soup & crackers

Jan 21: breakfast: toast/bagels; lunch: fail (chicken fingers & wedges while we were out); dinner: pork & lentil soup with bread 

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#186 of 235 Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 AM

1/11: Bits and pieces for lunch (cheese sticks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.--we were running around), Hopping John for dinner (this turned out SO good, even though I deviated from the recipe and used brown rice, cooked IN the pot--this recipe is definitely a keeper)

1/13: Dinner on my own tonight, which is easy, but that's because DH is taking the girls to his mom's, which always means spending $$$ on dinner there *sigh* (GAH!!! $50 on Applebee's! I had yogurt and blueberries and granola and picked at some leftover lunch meats at home)

1/14: Lunch at home (can't remember what!), broccoli cheese soup for dinner (big hit here!)

1/15: My parents called to take us out dinner, so we ate out but didn't pay. Awesome burger.

1/16: Baked buffalo wings and celery for dinner (found a recipe I really liked for this one, it's a keeper)

1/19: Tuna and whole grain crackers and fruit for lunch, grilled ham and cheese sammiches for quick dinner after gymnastics

1/20: Burgers instead of meatloaf (ran out of time), DH's yummy cheesy cauliflower-potato mash, and salads

1/21: "Smorgasbord" (whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever else we can add) for lunch, broiled scallops for three of us, leftover pancakes for one, veggie brown rice risotto for all

Planned:

1/22: Meatloaf (broke down and bought the mushrooms, they add SO much to the meatloaf)

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#187 of 235 Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post

Well I caved tonight and ordered bag.gif My reason was b/c yes, I was hungry and hadn't eaten on time and I knew it would be a while before I'd be able to get to the kitchen and make something b/c I had to settle my son who's been fussy the past couple of days. I really should have just had a bowl of cereal though.

1-20 eat.gif

Jan 19 bag.gif

Don't worry, you're doing the best you can. Get back on the wagon and keep rolling with us orngbiggrin.gif

#188 of 235 Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM

We ate for lunch yesterday but Gram had sent us money, so it was ok.

Proud of my family for choosing mac n cheese for lunch rather than take out. Good choice guys!

I had left over stew and dh has eggs and left over steak.

I am going to make goulash with the left over stew meat. Tomorrow is soup with my extended family.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#189 of 235 Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Tonight I think I'll make mac & cheese from scratch (including the pasta!) with broccoli chopped up in it. Or I might use rice instead of pasta and add some chicken.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#190 of 235 Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM

1/21: "Smorgasbord" (whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever else we can add) for lunch, broiled scallops for three of us, leftover pancakes for one, veggie brown rice risotto for all

1/22: Can't remember what we had for lunch (possibly cupcakes and fruit blush.gif), and then my parents took the kids out for dinner, so DH and I had burgers instead of meatloaf

Planned:

#191 of 235 Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM

1-22 b: bagels and pancakes

l: corndogs for the kids, chicken sandwiches for dh and I

d: dh and ds1 ate leftovers at home, ds2 and I went out for a bday party

1-23 b: eggs

l: probably leftover spaghetti

d: ham and potato soup, bread; something else for the kids as they can't have dairy 

#192 of 235 Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM

I haven't been making fancy dinners, but we HAVE been eating at home, so that's the important part ;)

Jan 1: leftovers for lunch; Burgers & salad for dinner

Jan 2: Tilapia/fish sticks/salmon & salad for lunch, omlettes for dinner

Jan 3: eggplant parmesan

Jan 4: roasted chicken

Jan 5: pizza

Jan 6: hot dogs (boo hiss!!!  was supposed to be beef roast, but the roast burned in the crockpot)

Jan 7: lasagna, garlic bread, broccoli, key lime cheesecake bars for dessert (had company for dinner)

Jan 8: leftovers for lunch, chicken/squash/rice soup for dinner

Jan 9: leftovers/pasta for lunch, homemade pizza for dinner

Jan 10: burgers and sweet potato fries

Jan 11: Brinner- pancakes, eggs, bacon, fruit

Jan 12: Crockpot chicken with apricots and dates

Jan 13: Tortilla crusted Tilapia

Jan 14: Quesadillas

Jan 15: going to my mom's for dinner :)

Jan 17: Chicken & rice casserole, carrots

Jan 18: Chicken Tacos

Jan 19: homemade pizza

Jan 20: pancakes, eggs, bacon

Jan 21: dinner at a friend's house

Jan 22: leftovers/ sandwiches

Jan 23: salmon burgers & sweet potato fries

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#193 of 235 Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Tonight the hubbalicious is making dinner. Something involving ham, pasta, and green beans. smile.gif

#194 of 235 Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 AM

followed previous plan, except I didn't feel like going to friends house to have pizza on Saturday so I made myself a grilled cheese & veggie sandwhich while the rest of them went.

1/23 - fish sticks, mac & cheese from a box, roasted sw. potatoes (not gourmet, but will do once in a while)

1/24 - fried eggs, breakfast sausages, black beans & rice, pumpernickel bread (need to find a veggie too)

1/25 - pork chops, stuffed acorn squash

#195 of 235 Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 AM

1/22: Can't remember what we had for lunch (possibly cupcakes and fruit blush.gif), and then my parents took the kids out for dinner, so DH and I had burgers instead of meatloaf

1/23: Chicken apple sausage, cheese, and fruit for lunch, roasted chicken, peas, and honey mustard potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread (delicious!) for dinner

Planned:

1/24: Meatloaf

1/25: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken

Frankly, I am out of ideas, and out of creativity, for the rest of the month! The kids and DH have been raving about how good my cooking is, so no one's been complaining about not going out, which is a good thing. But I've run out of steam a bit greensad.gif I still have those meatloaf makings, so that will probably be tonight so I don't lose my mushrooms. After the chicken soup...I just don't know. Maybe PB&J for a week? lol.gif

#196 of 235 Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM

1-24 b-toast

l-soup, bread

d-at my mom's

#197 of 235 Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Tonight I'm a-makin' red lentil soup.

#198 of 235 Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Jumping in for the end of the month:

1/21- lunch out $18 >=S + lamb chops, au gratin potatoes, asparagus

1/22 - whole grain pancakes, blueberries, and maple syrup + BOGOF coupon to Chipoltle ($7 lunch for 4)  + chantarelle and spinach omlette with au gratin potatoes

1/23 stock up groceries @ $50 - eat lunch at mom's - pork and eggplant stir fry and brown rice (mostly freezer)

1/24 - no spend - lamb burger and quinoa for the kids - leftover rice and beans for me - ate breakfast!!! - whole wheat pasta, spinach, and red sauce from the pantry

#199 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 AM

1-25 b: egg and ham burrito

l: soup, bread

d: pancakes for the kids, something else for dh and I since he'll actually be home tonight

#200 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM

1/23: Chicken apple sausage, cheese, and fruit for lunch, roasted chicken, peas, and honey mustard potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread (delicious!) for dinner

1/24: Meatloaf and broccoli for dinner (bad news is I found an entire of box of organic salad mix frozen in the back of the fridge bawling.gif)

Planned:

1/25: Teriyaki sirloin with the last of our cheap sirloin beef

1/26: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken

#201 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM

22nd - Roasted vegetable and smoked gouda lasagna

23rd - Stuffed chayote

24th - My parents took the whole family out for sushi... they paid joy.gif

25th - Jerk pork, roasted breadfruit and salad

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#202 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Well my meal plan went out the window for this week.  Got some cravings while in the grocery store! 

Last night was roasted eggplant and tomato penne with asiago cheese bread

tonight I am making pad thai, chicken sate and Asian inspired salad

no idea for tomorrow! lol.gif  spam me some ideas!  I have boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the freezer I would like to use center stage but other than that I have lots basics on hand. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#203 of 235 Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Dh ended up getting takeout last night.  I wasn't feeling good and he was being helpful.

1-26 b: egg sandwich

l: sandwich and pasta salad I think

d: tacos

#204 of 235 Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM

1/24: Meatloaf and broccoli for dinner (bad news is I found an entire of box of organic salad mix frozen in the back of the fridge bawling.gif)

1/25: Teriyaki sirloin with the last of our cheap sirloin beef, peas with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar

Planned:

1/26: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken -- except that it's snowing YET AGAIN here, so that probably means no veggie box today, which means no carrots and potatoes for my soup!  bawling.gif I have to go through my produce drawers and see what I can find--I think I can salvage some carrots, but the last of my potatoes are more green than I'm comfortable with *sigh* Maybe I can add some rice instead...

#205 of 235 Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

followed previous plan, except I didn't feel like going to friends house to have pizza on Saturday so I made myself a grilled cheese & veggie sandwhich while the rest of them went.

1/23 - fish sticks, mac & cheese from a box, roasted sw. potatoes (not gourmet, but will do once in a while)

1/24 - fried eggs, breakfast sausages, black beans & rice, pumpernickel bread (need to find a veggie too)

1/25 - pork chops, stuffed acorn squash

Skipped the squash and made the chops with sweet potato fries and roasted veggies.

1/26 was going to make homemade mac & cheese then serve it with the leftover chops, but my dh just ate the leftovers for his 2nd lunch so I need to see if we have more meat in the freezer to do a quick thaw to go with the mac & cheese

1/27 chili & cornbread

1/28 leftover chili for me (dh & kids out of town)

1/29 I am taking my dad out to dinner (dh & kids are out of town)

#206 of 235 Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM

I've go a big pot of beans going for tonight. I'm also making tortillas we're going to have 'em with the beans, cheese, sauteed bell peppers, and avocado.eat.gif

#207 of 235 Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Since coming to the Island to visit my parent's I've had very little control over the meals and the meal planning.  However, we have been eating at home and DH is eating over at his mom's place all week.  Only 4 more days here before I go back home and back to doing the cooking and shopping. (I'm actually really looking forward to it.)

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#208 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 AM

26th - dinner at my parents house...

27th - fettuccine with arugula hazelnut pesto

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#209 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 AM

1-27 b: pumpkin muffin and a piece of toast

l: potato soup, bread

d: eggs and toast for the boys; fish, rice and tomato soup (weird combo I know) for dh and I

#210 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM

I've got some lamb stew going in the crock pot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page