January 2011 Home Cooking Challenge - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1/9: Leftover pot pie filling for lunch, broccoli cheese soup for dinner

1/10: Soup for lunch, tuna melts and chocolate chip cookies for dinner

1/11: Bits and pieces for lunch (cheese sticks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.--we were running around), Hopping John for dinner (this turned out SO good, even though I deviated from the recipe and used brown rice, cooked IN the pot--this recipe is definitely a keeper)

1/12: Leftover Hopping John for lunch, sandwiches after gymnastics for dinner

1/13: Dinner on my own tonight, which is easy, but that's because DH is taking the girls to his mom's, which always means spending $$$ on dinner there *sigh* (GAH!!! $50 on Applebee's! I had yogurt and blueberries and granola and picked at some leftover lunch meats at home)

1/14: Lunch at home (can't remember what!), broccoli cheese soup for dinner (big hit here!)

1/15: My parents called to take us out dinner, so we ate out but didn't pay. Awesome burger.

1/16: Baked buffalo wings and celery for dinner (found a recipe I really liked for this one, it's a keeper)

1/17: Lunch at home (can't remember what), white chicken chili for dinner

1/18: Leftover chili for lunch, spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner

1/19: Tuna and whole grain crackers and fruit for lunch, grilled ham and cheese sammiches for quick dinner after gymnastics

1/20: Burgers instead of meatloaf (ran out of time), DH's yummy cheesy cauliflower-potato mash, and salads

1/21: "Smorgasbord" (whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever else we can add) for lunch, broiled scallops for three of us, leftover pancakes for one, veggie brown rice risotto for all

1/22: Can't remember what we had for lunch (possibly cupcakes and fruit blush.gif), and then my parents took the kids out for dinner, so DH and I had burgers instead of meatloaf

1/23: Chicken apple sausage, cheese, and fruit for lunch, roasted chicken, peas, and honey mustard potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread (delicious!) for dinner

1/24: Meatloaf and broccoli for dinner (bad news is I found an entire of box of organic salad mix frozen in the back of the fridge bawling.gif)

1/25: Teriyaki sirloin with the last of our cheap sirloin beef, peas with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar

1/26: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken (got two quarts of broth out of that thing too!)

Planned:

1/27: Leftover soup and a bunch of random roasted veggies--beets, cauliflower, a random carrot, maybe some squash

1/28: Baked buffalo chicken fingers, because they turned out SOOOO yummy last time

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Not on MDC a lot lately, but I'll chime in with recent home cooking activity:

1/27: Quiche with leftover vegetables

Tonight: ??? off to my recipe collection....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#213 of 235 Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM

I'd like to join this thread! I'd just like to start with dinners for now, but as DD is approaching the age where she'll begin solids, I really want to put in more of an effort to cook healthy meals from scratch. I've been really good this week! So far we've got:

Sunday: potato leek soup with homemade baguette
Mon: tilapia with creamy white wine sauce, leeks and rice
Tues: Salad with roast beets, baked chicken tenders and goats cheese
Wednesday: Same salad again
Thurs: Slow cooker Italian wedding soup and homemade bread

Planned:
Fri: homemade pizza with mushrooms
Sat: some kind of pasta

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#214 of 235 Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM

1-28 b: burrito

l: salad with hardboiled eggs, cheese and leftover ham

d: pizza for the boys; steak and random veggies for dh and I

#215 of 235 Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM

I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been cooking at home for the most part. Same old. Same old. Stuffed peppers, lasagna, chili, salads, etc. We did cheat a couple of times in the last week. DS had an appointment in a city 45 minutes from us, so we went out to eat for lunch with money my mom had given us from her big winnings at the slots. wink1.gif And we had some fries and a beer the other day when shopping for new running sneakers. Other than that, all homecooked meals this month!

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#216 of 235 Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Tonight we had pizza & guava smoothies. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#217 of 235 Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 AM

1/11: Bits and pieces for lunch (cheese sticks, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.--we were running around), Hopping John for dinner (this turned out SO good, even though I deviated from the recipe and used brown rice, cooked IN the pot--this recipe is definitely a keeper)

1/13: Dinner on my own tonight, which is easy, but that's because DH is taking the girls to his mom's, which always means spending $$$ on dinner there *sigh* (GAH!!! $50 on Applebee's! I had yogurt and blueberries and granola and picked at some leftover lunch meats at home)

1/14: Lunch at home (can't remember what!), broccoli cheese soup for dinner (big hit here!)

1/15: My parents called to take us out dinner, so we ate out but didn't pay. Awesome burger.

1/16: Baked buffalo wings and celery for dinner (found a recipe I really liked for this one, it's a keeper)

1/19: Tuna and whole grain crackers and fruit for lunch, grilled ham and cheese sammiches for quick dinner after gymnastics

1/20: Burgers instead of meatloaf (ran out of time), DH's yummy cheesy cauliflower-potato mash, and salads

1/21: "Smorgasbord" (whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever else we can add) for lunch, broiled scallops for three of us, leftover pancakes for one, veggie brown rice risotto for all

1/22: Can't remember what we had for lunch (possibly cupcakes and fruit blush.gif), and then my parents took the kids out for dinner, so DH and I had burgers instead of meatloaf

1/23: Chicken apple sausage, cheese, and fruit for lunch, roasted chicken, peas, and honey mustard potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread (delicious!) for dinner

1/24: Meatloaf and broccoli for dinner (bad news is I found an entire of box of organic salad mix frozen in the back of the fridge bawling.gif)

1/25: Teriyaki sirloin with the last of our cheap sirloin beef, peas with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar

1/26: Creamy chicken/veggie soup made with leftover chicken (got two quarts of broth out of that thing too!)

1/27: Leftover soup and a bunch of random roasted veggies--beets, cauliflower, a random carrot, maybe some squash

1/28: Nachos (did have to get a few things from the grocery store while I was there stocking up with coupons, but still cheaper than going out)

Planned:

1/29: Baked buffalo chicken fingers, because they turned out SOOOO yummy last time

1/30: Burgers, blue potato and sweet potato fries

1/31:

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#218 of 235 Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM

1-28 b: egg sandwiches

l: we had lunch out at an auction

d: fries, hot dogs, quesadillas - I asked what the kids wanted and that was the answer I got :)

#219 of 235 Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Can I join?  We have five kids, and since I had the youngest in December, we have eating out/getting take out way too much.  DH works 3-11 five nights a week and it is way too easy to order pizza for dinner.  The kids love it and I'm way too tired to care.

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#220 of 235 Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

1-30 b: cereal, cinnamon toast

l: pizza

d: quesadillas

#221 of 235 Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm losing track of what we've been eating.  It's not been fancy, but it's been at home (except for 2 lunches out this past week....duck.gif).  Next month's budget also looks pretty tight, so I'm planning to continue to cook at home and eat out of the pantry in February also.

Jan 1: leftovers for lunch; Burgers & salad for dinner

Jan 2: Tilapia/fish sticks/salmon & salad for lunch, omlettes for dinner

Jan 3: eggplant parmesan

Jan 4: roasted chicken

Jan 5: pizza

Jan 6: hot dogs (boo hiss!!!  was supposed to be beef roast, but the roast burned in the crockpot)

Jan 7: lasagna, garlic bread, broccoli, key lime cheesecake bars for dessert (had company for dinner)

Jan 8: leftovers for lunch, chicken/squash/rice soup for dinner

Jan 9: leftovers/pasta for lunch, homemade pizza for dinner

Jan 10: burgers and sweet potato fries

Jan 11: Brinner- pancakes, eggs, bacon, fruit

Jan 12: Crockpot chicken with apricots and dates

Jan 13: Tortilla crusted Tilapia

Jan 14: Quesadillas

Jan 15: going to my mom's for dinner :)

Jan 17: Chicken & rice casserole, carrots

Jan 18: Chicken Tacos

Jan 19: homemade pizza

Jan 20: pancakes, eggs, bacon

Jan 21: dinner at a friend's house

Jan 22: leftovers/ sandwiches

Jan 23: salmon burgers & sweet potato fries

Jan 24: ?

Jan 25: ?

Jan 26: Beef roast, roasted root veggies

Jan 27: chicken enchiladas

Jan 28: homemade pizza

Jan 29: Eggs, bacon, leftover root veggies

Jan 30: Leftover roast, mashed potatoes

Jan 31: chicken enchiladas

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#222 of 235 Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Had dinner at a friend's house; they made rice with some sort of Brazilian soup and a salad. We took the ingredients to make strawberry ice cream. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#223 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM

1-31 b: pop tart

l: salad

d: going to my mom's

So for totals, 4 dinners out, 1 lunch out and 1 breakfast out.  Hopefully it'll go better next month.

#224 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM

I've lost my creative juices for cooking. I will meal plan this next month. Since it's a short month...
I've got 30 something cookbooks, so this shouldn't be an issue!

#225 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

I've lost my creative juices for cooking. I will meal plan this next month. Since it's a short month...
I've got 30 something cookbooks, so this shouldn't be an issue!

Me too.  I've got part of February planned but I just have no idea or interest in doing the rest.  Which is weird for me, normally it bothers me until I've got the whole month planned.

#226 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM

I actually did pretty well, but I lost track of posting and didn't come in every night after awhile. I've only ordered in once and I may actually order in tonight. I
m going to go over my budget tomorrow and may try the envelope system and actually put money aside for eating out with friends since I did this a few times this month and didn't spend much, but would like to keep better track of what I did spend.
#227 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM

I roasted a whole chicken and made mashed potatoes and a salad.  Okay, I cheated and used baby spinach and a cucumber, but I cooked a meal!  No take out!  Tomorrow I will use the mash potatoes and chicken (adding frozen carrots and pea) and topping with pie crust to make chicken pot pie.  I'll boil the chicken carcass down to make stock and use what meat is left over for chicken noodle soup on Wednesday.

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#228 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 04:16 PM

We had homemade mac and cheese with baby carrots for lunch, instead of pb and j and an apple, my standby since I had the baby in December.

#229 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM

We ordered out once in the last two weeks, so we did well, and we budgeted for it. Overall, I am very happy with our month

2/1 L- Mac and cheese

d- roasted chicken and veggies

2/2 L PBJ

D- Chicken noodles soup

2/3 L- leftovers

D-

2/4 Hard boiled eggs, or egg salad

D Swiss steak with rice salad

2/5 L Yogurt

D Stir Fry

2/6

D- Millet?

2/7 L leftovers

D  Soup or casserole?

2/8 tomato soup crackers

D meatloaf, taters

2/9 PBJ

D chicken chimichangas

2/10

D-Breakfast for dinner

2/11 Salad

D Hungarian goulash?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#230 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Not on MDC a lot lately, but I'll chime in with recent home cooking activity:

1/27: Quiche with leftover vegetables

1/28: Vegetable-Tofu Lo Mein with Vermicilli Noodles

1/29: "Grown-Up" Macaroni and Cheese

1/30: Leftovers

1/31: Pan-Fried Tempeh in Honey Mustard Sauce with Mixed Steamed Veggies and Rice

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#231 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM

1/30 went out for Korean food

1/31 hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls, honey mustart roasted potatoes, mixed veggies, raspberries

Did better than usual this month. I had the flu for a week of the months, so dh ordered take out more often that I would have, but he was trying to be helpful. All dinner out were planned rather than me saying, forget it I don't feel like cooking. :)

Plan on sticking to it for February. Hoping to stick to only 2-3 dinners out/take out for the month which would be am improvement over last year!

#232 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Pizza again! Woo!

#233 of 235 Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 AM

1/28: Nachos (did have to get a few things from the grocery store while I was there stocking up with coupons, but still cheaper than going out)

1/29: Dang!!! Fell off the wagon two days before the end of the month, how wrong is that?! But it was only burritos at Moe's, used a coupon, the kids were so happy, and we did so well this month that I'm not beating myself up about it (too much, LOL!)

1/30: Burgers and broccoli

1/31: Chicken apple sausage, noodles, and corn

#234 of 235 Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 AM

Is there a February thread yet?

#235 of 235 Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

Is there a February thread yet?

Just started one  http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295347/february-2011-home-cooking-challenge#post_16229571 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page