Ring in the New Year with a Pantry Challenge! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

put it in soup???  maybe the juices will "rehab" it into something delish????

As for us, still plugging along.  I picked up 5lbs of potatoes and some red delicious apples and pears that were on a good sale since we needed produce.  We've been being inventive with the last dregs of things like tomatoes and a few black beans and some onion scraps adding them to tomato soup for a southwestern soup.    Made blueberry muffins recently with the last of the whole wheat flour and frozen blueberries.  Making veggie shepherds pie with the potatoes and some tvp and little bits of all the half used veggies I have left today.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post

My brand spanking new refrigerator arrived a couple hours ago. joy.gif  It is nearly empty right now and I love the way I can see everything.  I'm making a grocery list (most of our food had to be thrown out) but I do NOT want to overbuy like I often do, so I am going to make a menu first.  I have to buy soymilk tomorrow but I am going to try to avoid buying anything else for as long as I can.

So jealous!!! What did you get?? I am so wanting the french door/bottom freezer model!

I looked at the french door/bottom freezer refrigerators but the bins in the drawer felt very flimsy.  Also, dh pointed out that the doors are too wide to swing out; our island was placed in an odd place when we built the house.  I ended up choosing a Samsung stainless steel two-door.  I love opening the door and seeing the perfectly clean shelves and drawers; hopefully I can keep on top of that!

I've got to remember to make menus on the weekends; my weeks keep getting busier and I'm rarely home long enough to get dinner started.  Gotta work on that.  I have used up all of my dried beans and almost all of my canned goods, there are no meals in the freezer...I think it's about time to restock.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#33 of 43 Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I join? We had some unexpected bills, and are expecting some more so if I can stretch the grocery budget for the next few months, it would be ideal!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#34 of 43 Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 AM

Jenna, the more the merrier!

So for breakfast today we did oatmeal AGAIN.  Kids are getting sick of it so I tried to jazz it up with a scoop of peanut butter and a few chocolate chips(which they liked and ate up).  Lunch for the toddler and I is going to be broccoli cheese soup AGAIN(broccoli is $.99 at Aldi).  And for dinner I'm making some homemade chicken nuggets with chicken that was in the freezer and some shake n bake I found in the back of the pantry.  I don't know what I'll make for myself(vegetarian).  Maybe rice and beans.  And some frozen peas or something.  Don't know.

#35 of 43 Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm hoping to get time today to throw a bunch of our dried beans in the pressure cooker.  I do a ton at a time, and then freeze them in usable amounts so that I can do quick dinners with them.  SOOO... that's on deck for today.  Also chicken stock with the rest of the chicken parts we have in the freezer (we buy whole chickens and then dh cuts them up into parts and we use the rest for broth).  Doubt I'll manage to do both today, though.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#36 of 43 Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM

bumping this hoping more people chime in. 

We are still plugging away.  Looks like our food budget is going to get sliced even further so that's got me in a panic.  Todays foods were:

b: homemade vanilla yogurt with homemade granola, one strawberry sliced tiny per person and a few chocolate chips to make it luxurious.(strawberries were on super sale this week)

l: ham steak for the kids found in the back of the freezer. brown rice for the kids with the last of the grapes on the side.  for me, brown rice turned into fried rice with odds and ends of veggies in the crisper drawer(3 inches of a zucchini, 1 carrot, couple handfuls of frozen peas, a few limp broccoli florets, half an onion, a few shakes of soy sauce, 2 tsp of wildflower honey, some minced garlic).  Really really delicious.

d: kids were with grandma while I worked so I ate leftover fried rice when we got home.

#37 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm in.  I cannot believe how much we've been spending on food.  greensad.gif  I've got a couple well-stocked freezers so it's time to empty them out.  A question: meat, butter, juice?  How long is each good in the deep freeze?

#38 of 43 Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM

I'm still here and I am in for Feb!

I was guilty of buying a bit more than our absolute "needs" during Jan.  I didn't eat out (except for a snack from the grocery store once a week when we grocery shop between DD's preschool and dance class...usually a cup of soup or a few pieces of salmon sashimi) and planned meals around what we have at home....however when we did shop for veggies I had a hard time not stocking up a little on things we regularly use that were on sale.  I mean, the whole reason I am able to have a great pantry is because I do that!  But I didn't *need* to and I need to focus on some of the pantry items that get neglected....

So for Feb I'm going to try harder and hopefully just do my weekly eggs/milk order (from a local drop) and mostly greens, maybe a few other fruits/veg.  Working on a meal plan for this week now.

Anyone sticking with this for Feb?  :)

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#39 of 43 Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm in for February in the sense that I'm being extremely careful with our food money and doing as much to stock up as possible and BUILD our pantry.  Last month I spent $100 for 3 weeks of the month just for produce and dairy/eggs.  So that meant we ended up eating out of the pantry quite a bit and really decimating it.  I did a big stock-up on the very basics yesterday and today and spent $100 for baking supplies, lentils, beans, pasta, rice, etc.  So this month is all about being smart with what we do have and building upon that.   I'd love to be able to do our produce/eggs/dairy from the farmer's market exclusively this summer supplemented with foraging and a much much bigger garden than last year. 

Anyone consider their garden part of a smart pantry?  I feel like a large garden is like investing in a smartly stocked pantry and freezer.  I'm starting to think about mine and plan what I'm doing this year.  I am in a new house so I'm not sure exactly what our sun and soil is going to be like.  Landlord is totally fine with gardens and we've got SOME room but not a ton so I need to be smart with it.  Any gardeners want to share their plans?

#40 of 43 Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Anyone consider their garden part of a smart pantry?  I feel like a large garden is like investing in a smartly stocked pantry and freezer.  I'm starting to think about mine and plan what I'm doing this year.  I am in a new house so I'm not sure exactly what our sun and soil is going to be like.  Landlord is totally fine with gardens and we've got SOME room but not a ton so I need to be smart with it.  Any gardeners want to share their plans?

ITA.  Our garden has been a huge part of our grocery staple, especially when I haven't been pregnant or nursing a newborn -- two things I find pose an obstacle for my more ambitious gardens!

This year was the first time I planted a solid winter garden.  We get no snow here, so I'm lucky to be able to plant year-round.  Right now I have a basically unlimited supply of turnips, beets, kale, spinach, onions, lettuce and cabbage.  I've tried to include them in meals wherever I can, substituting things like 1/2 turnip, 1/2 potato shepherd's pie, etc.  We've been eating sauteed cabbage and brussels multiple nights a week...I have pounds of frozen bell peppers and sofrito to use up from last summer.

I started seeds last week for the spring -- tons of peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, corn, herbs, tomatillos.  It's helped us eat more seasonally and definitely to be more creative with my cooking.

I only wish we could have some chickens!

#41 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM

seaheroine, that garden sounds lovely!  I'm a little jealous of your ability to have such a long growing season.  My growing season is pretty much May to September.  :( 

I made applesauce, granola, and yogurt today all for tomorrow's breakfast.  We had homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner with the leftovers of everything.  I had a bean burrito with some leftover black beans in the fridge, frozen cheddar, and some sour cream I found in the back of the fridge.  Really low key.  Lunch for them was at Grandma's and breakfast was cereal and milk because we were running so late.  But it's wic cereal so it's free.  :)

#42 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

May to Sept for the garden here too! But I use that day that we plant the veggie garden to run the snowblower out of gas. Judging by the snow we had this year, dont think I will have to do this! Its so powerful that no more snow will arrive that year!

But our bounty is eaten and then in fall, tomatoes are made into sauce and canned. The other veggies are chopped up and frozen for later use. Spices dried. Basil frozen.

But for this in the middle of winter: We just picked up our side so our freezer is stuffed beyond stuffed. We rearrnaged the pantry, DH moved some items of his out so I have more shelf space. I need to redo my shelves and spread out more. I also noticed several canned goods we enjoy all year are on major sale, so I will stock up and fill up that space.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#43 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Man thank goodness we make our own yogurt because the kids have been burning through 2quarts of homemade yogurt in 3 days lately!  Either that or I'm getting REALLY good at flavoring it the way they like it.  ;)  That was breakfast today.

Made a yummy potato soup with broccoli and carrots and onions in it for lunch today.  We had stopped by the local Great Harvest Co for bread because we thought they had their grand opening last week but apparently they weren't technically open yet due to weather delays with their oven coming in so the 3 year old and I each got a free super thick slice of honey whole wheat bread for free while we chatted up the owner.  So that combined with our soup was a DELISH lunch.  Maybe veggie tacos tonight?  Don't know yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page