January 2011 Low Income Support Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Today su*ks.  Last night I had a subbing job, this am the system calls me to cancel that same job.... LOVELY...I can not keep doing this... I need jobs, I need money. Anyway I took my depressed self to the library for the open career lab and actually got some help with my resume.  The resume now fits on one page and the lady running the lab gave me several hand outs on how to do a cover letter!  She also gave me some websites that I didnt know about so that was really good, and one of those led to a possible 'job open house' tomorrow.  So here I sit pondering if I should even try to sub tomorrow or if I should go to the job thingy since they are hiring immediately?  Its call center work, which I hate but I know I can probably get hired for.  Its full time work, benefits to follow shortly and ya know what?? I bet they dont cancel jobs on me.

IDK what to do... I need to work but this subbing gig just isnt working anymore.  My gut is telling me to put all my effort into looking for a job, a real full time job.  What do you mama's think I should do?  

Again the full time job would hopefully allow DS and I to move out of the current living situation and get our own apt (something I've been aiming at for over a year and it just has not happened)

I hate being low income... I dont know how much longer I can do this.. mentally, I have a bachelors, masters and now a teaching certificate, I should be able to get a job  RIGHT??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 110 Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. When DH lost his job almost three years ago he had a bachelors and masters and couldn't find ANYTHING. He ended up going into a completely different field and it took him awhile to build up to what he was making before. This past year he made within a few thousand of what he was making the last year at his old job. It was rough but we're glad we made the switch or he would've been driving a forklift or flipping burgers forever. But I will say that we had unemployment to fall back on while he was building up his income. We weren't making nothing. As long as his income didn't exceed his unemployment check we got the difference between the two if that makes sense. That was the only thing that allowed him to change fields.

So thinking long term what is best for your family? Do you want to teach full time? Is that realistic soon? Is there another full time job in the concentration of your degrees? Is there something you can do from home and continue to look for a job?

Sorry I'm not familiar with your situation. It's hard to know what to do when money is tight and there seems no way out. But there is an answer mama. Just keep looking and hang in there. :hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Today su*ks.  Last night I had a subbing job, this am the system calls me to cancel that same job.... LOVELY...I can not keep doing this... I need jobs, I need money. Anyway I took my depressed self to the library for the open career lab and actually got some help with my resume.  The resume now fits on one page and the lady running the lab gave me several hand outs on how to do a cover letter!  She also gave me some websites that I didnt know about so that was really good, and one of those led to a possible 'job open house' tomorrow.  So here I sit pondering if I should even try to sub tomorrow or if I should go to the job thingy since they are hiring immediately?  Its call center work, which I hate but I know I can probably get hired for.  Its full time work, benefits to follow shortly and ya know what?? I bet they dont cancel jobs on me.

IDK what to do... I need to work but this subbing gig just isnt working anymore.  My gut is telling me to put all my effort into looking for a job, a real full time job.  What do you mama's think I should do?  

Again the full time job would hopefully allow DS and I to move out of the current living situation and get our own apt (something I've been aiming at for over a year and it just has not happened)

I hate being low income... I dont know how much longer I can do this.. mentally, I have a bachelors, masters and now a teaching certificate, I should be able to get a job  RIGHT??

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#93 of 110 Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Ive been pulling UE for about 18 mos while doing the subbing thing.  My timing stinks as soon as I got my teaching cert. the economy really tanked and our state cut funding, education got cut, hence no teaching jobs.  My cert is in highschool business so jobs were slim to begin with.

After much soul searching today and the career/job lab I may have a lead on a job. I do have an interview on Thursday for something that is similiar to what I was doing before.  Its B2B sales, so finance sorta, decent base salary, provided leads and about 4 miles from home.  Since its b2b its m-f office hours.

The base salary would be enough for me to qualify for a decent apartment and get the heck out of this roommate situation.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can 'sell myself' at the interview on Thursday and they offer something ASAP.

Honestly subbing is going to make me have another mental breakdown (why I left banking in the first place)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#94 of 110 Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM

The teaching industry is crazy right now. DH almost went back to get a teaching certificate a few years ago and I'm so glad he didn't. Local school boards have been slashing budgets left and right so he would never have found a job. Hoping the interview on Thursday works out! I know that must be frustrating!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#95 of 110 Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Spoke to the cashier at the bank and she told me she would be able to extrapolate the money from my debit card and make a "check" of some type, but said some fee's may apply.  She doesn't know how much either.  It's too late to have a direct deposit for the cs this month, but hopefully next month I can have it done. 

Any advice on utilities?  When I moved out of the old house, my utilities were on the verge of being cut off. I haven't had the money to pay till now.   Is there an agency that can help with this?  I hope to move into my new rental house within two weeks or less.  My dhs worker told me if I could get a copy of the "cut off notice" she could get most of it paid off, enough for me to get the services on in my name.  Anyone have any other resources?  It will be so tight this month, I don't know what I will do.  I'm going to ask my worker for full fs.  I don't think I have been getting the largest amount alotted for my families situation, and it would really help right now to have that.  Any suggestions for doing so?

Thanks.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#96 of 110 Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Subbed yesterday (1/2 day...$27 dollars made) and have a job for tomorrow.  Spending the day locked in my lab will definitely help. 

Crossing my fingers that the ex pays CS on time and maybe a bit towards the rest of his arrears.  W2s for my lab job should be posted by this weekend, so I will file this weekend.  I need to start paying off my divorce lawyer.  Finally got the last bill from her......$2K.  This thing cost me almost as much as I received in property settlement.

I'm out of FS and have $20 til the end of the month.  Now's time to make that pantry stretch!

#97 of 110 Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Vann- only $27 for subbing.. gosh makes me feel rich for what they are paying here... sorry.

today is resume day again... reaching out to every contact I may have... every person I could possibly know (and that circle is very small). 

IDK about sites like monster/careerbuilder etc in your places but over here they just have junk on them... no professional jobs at all... ugh... nothing that pays a livable wage   maybe im asking too much??

I can not keep subbing, I am going to have a mental breakdown and I just do not have the time nor the finances for one of those again...

#98 of 110 Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM

I haven't been on here in a long time. I have a lovely six year old boy and I work full time . I live with his father since I can't really afford my own place . I feel so over whelmed lately . Working 40 hours , trying to do laundry clean and just spend time with my child. I Feel like I will never be caught up. I Mean I still have my christmas tree up.redface.gif
So I have the chance to go get my Master's and i can't decide if its worth spending the money. I Would get the tuition at 60% discount rate . I'm just tired of working the same job at the same store ...
This thread really gave me the much needed and appreciated support years ago. I look forward to joining in with y'all again....smile.gif
#99 of 110 Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Vann- only $27 for subbing.. gosh makes me feel rich for what they are paying here... sorry.

today is resume day again... reaching out to every contact I may have... every person I could possibly know (and that circle is very small). 

IDK about sites like monster/careerbuilder etc in your places but over here they just have junk on them... no professional jobs at all... ugh... nothing that pays a livable wage   maybe im asking too much??

I can not keep subbing, I am going to have a mental breakdown and I just do not have the time nor the finances for one of those again...

Yeah....It's $55 for uncertified teachers and $65 for certified here.  It blows and some days the money isn't worth what I go through.  However, I needneedneed the money, so I do what I can. 

Subbed today.  It was one of those "almost not worth it" days.  Just all over rough...1st grade class...mostly boys.  Hoping to catch a bit of a break after I graduate, but it's a long shot.  I wish sometimes that my family lived closer (they are all in Dallas) so I had a bit of help.

#100 of 110 Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husbands FA check needs to come like now but it won't be here til Feb 14th. Also, my boss needs to have my W2 like NOW so I can file because we are having a rough month since we got a snow storm and hubby lost alot of money from not working. Sigh.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#101 of 110 Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post

Quote:

Yeah....It's $55 for uncertified teachers and $65 for certified here.  It blows and some days the money isn't worth what I go through.  However, I needneedneed the money, so I do what I can. 

Subbed today.  It was one of those "almost not worth it" days.  Just all over rough...1st grade class...mostly boys.  Hoping to catch a bit of a break after I graduate, but it's a long shot.  I wish sometimes that my family lived closer (they are all in Dallas) so I had a bit of help.

Sorry! You're right, that is almost not worth it. They pay twice that here greensad.gif But it is something and at least you can keep telling yourself it is just one day!

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#102 of 110 Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM

they pay less than that here for subbing :(

Single mom to 2 boys
#103 of 110 Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just thought I'd check in. I'm pretty sure we'll be dipping into the money DH set aside for while I'm on unpaid maternity leave to make rent this month. With gas prices getting so high, just gas and food seems to be breaking us...and that was with food stamps this month. We don't get any next month. This baby better come soon!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#104 of 110 Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Schedule this week:

Tonight: 4 hours lab

Sunday: 12 hours lab

Monday: 1/2 day sub, 4 hours lab

Tuesday: full day sub

Wed: 4 hours lab (still trying to pick up a sub shift that day)

Thurs:  full day sub

Fri: 6 hours lab, 2 hours class

Sat: 12 hours field work on the side of a mountain in SW OK

So a busy week.  If I can keep this up, life should be okayish in a bit.  CS is due on Tuesday so I am crossing my fingers that my ex delivers on time or I will be short on rent and daycare.  I am trying to work extra hard to make it through. 

We are out of FS, but luckily the 1st is almost here.  Oh, and I still have about 14 dollars in quarters, so I am going to try to get some laundry caught up on today.  Kids are at their dad's this weekend, so it's time to get busy! :)

#105 of 110 Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We're broke - I've got 6 cents to last until Tuesday. Hoping the check comes in Monday {sometimes the bank puts gov. checks in early}. No food stamps until I can get everything together and get to DHS to reapply which will likely be the week after the 1st due to conflicts. But we're okay on food, and have a roof over our head, even if it does have a hole in it. A friend of ours is going to try to do a temporary patch on the roof to cover the hole in it and keep anything else from getting into our attic through the hole.  February is going to be tight, as we've got to pay the repair friend, dd's selling Girl Scout cookies so I have to buy some, and our bills are up from it freezing so much and us having to leave hoses running to keep them from freezing up. I'm going to try to sell some used homeschool stuff I've got, but I haven't had much luck with that. We're having a yard sale next weekend too to help out.

I'm working on earning more Swagbucks to try to get the rest of the things dd needs for school this fall - she still needs about 6 textbooks for this coming school year, which is close to $100 on Amazon. If I can earn any extra I'd like to get her something new for her birthday and Christmas, but we'll see.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#106 of 110 Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM

I worked today (monday) ,  tuesday  I'm going to the resume clinic at the library and hoping to be able to sub the rest of the week.  It looks like my UE was granted another 13 weeks YEAH.  After that I think the well will be dry so to speak.  DS is really trying my nerves these past few days.  So long with no break, no get away, nothing... Its just all taking a toll on us.  But the work today was good, the kids behaved themselves and I hope the resume clinic tomorrow gives me a couple hours to get turned around with applications again.

February is a short month, thank heavens and hopefully I can get a few things caught up!

#107 of 110 Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Ugh.  Another snow day.  So no school tomorrow and possibly Wednesday.  Down one more sub shift.  Going to take the day to relax with the kids since the whole state is shut down for the little bit of snow we are getting. 

Tomorrow, I am going to sit down and file my taxes :joy

#108 of 110 Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM

YEAH!  February is here... time to gather the tax info.  Well I have most of it, just need the medical stuff and daycare payments then I should be all set.  I sure hope I get a refund (I had very little earned income in 2010, thanks to a horrid student teaching experience which cut my workable weeks)....  I may do my taxes this weekend or next..  A shorter month also means my foodstamps may last longer  LOL

#109 of 110 Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Ummmm excuse me.. can someone please tell me why my unemployment payment this week is approx. ten times what is should be?  Not exactly 10x but this is very odd... Ive been making payments on an 'overpayment' amount its like they've returned that whole amount back into my checking account.  UE holds back a few dollars every week to pay back THEIR error and now it looks like they returned all that $$ to me....I so hate this... ugh

#110 of 110 Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM

zebra, i'd hold off on using it at first.  Just give them a call and ask.  you don't want to owe them money later for their error, right?

It's coldcoldcold here.  City is shut down and will be until Thursday.  Heater crapped out, but a friend brought over two more space heaters.  Not keeping the place warm, but keeping it from dropping too low.  At least it only takes 1 small one to warm the bedroom we sleep in. 

DS has been running fevers of 102 since yesterday, so he has to stay upstairs in the "warm room" (75 degrees in there, woo!).  Hoping he feels better tomorrow. 

Kids go to their dad's place tomorrow evening.  He asked to have the kids over tomorrow during the day on their snow day.  No....we already made plans.  He never asks for them over unless his gf has the day off....I'm guessing that is the case again.

I will admit to wanting the day to go into work while no one is there (campus is closed) but I'd like to spend the day with the kids instead.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page