January 2011 Low Income Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This thread is for those with low income and/or those who are struggling.

SUPPORT ONLY!!!!!

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Oh, please everyone, use your powers to make the 13th come FAST! Fin aid comes in and we're getting some freezer meat!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

2010 is gone. May 2011 bring abundance and blessings for you all!   

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
Helen Keller 

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Oh, please everyone, use your powers to make the 13th come FAST! Fin aid comes in and we're getting some freezer meat!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Fingers crossed for you. Site keeps posting quotes and not the responses! Argh.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

For some bizzare reason I cannot post links either today.

So my fingers crossed statement from last month ended up in my thread on here "How many of you live in seperate places than your SO/spouse due to a job and have double bills? ".   dizzy.gif

Yeah for work. Boo for double expenses and being stuck alone without a car VERY far away from friends and family. I am no bus wimp, but have health issues and three kids with health issues and it makes for a "trying" time of it. Fingers crossed a new (used) care is in my somewhere near future!!!!!

Ironically I appear to live in the same place now as at least two of the other moms on here and we are homeschoolers too. Small world.  lol.gif

Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Happy New Year everyone!  I have some great news...we have a house and will move soon.  I'm planning to care for two babies to help increase my income (and I love babies and toddlers)!

I think this year is looking better all ready.  I'll have a warm bedroom!  I'm so happy.  Anyway, wanted to share the news.  Where do you go to get good washer and dryer's, beds and tables?  I've been watching Craigslist for a while, both Free and For Sale, and haven't found anything yet.  Hoping January brings these things I need. 

How are all of you doing?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Woohooooo Jyotsna!!!!!  Try calling around to all the stores and see if they have any closeouts or scratch-n-dents. Big Lots has some decent prices for new items. Do you have any friends/family/groups you can get the word out too that you are looking? We have found that you can live on air mattresses quite comfy like for very long periods of time. LOL

Ok I just started this thread too: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1288656/how-do-you-stay-fit-lose-weight-keep-healthy-on-the-cheap-or-for-free      (woohoo it worked this time!)

I am in deep need of better physical health and am ready to fight through the pain for it now!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh and if you have the chairs you could make do with a folding table for some time. We have done that too.  ;)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 AM

I'm here! I'm a low income mama and I'm not sure what my total income is right now since it's changing soon b/c I should start to get the baby bonus things soon. I'll come back tomorrow and say a little more about myself, my son is starting to stir and kick me in the ribs LOL so I have to nurse him again soon I guess.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1287324/homeschooling-and-being-a-sahm-when-low-income  

A good thread for the homeschooling mamas here.  :)

Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Grrr...when they say food stamps will be deposited on X day of the month, I wish they'd also mention that it'll be DELAYED if X day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday...was looking forward to grocery shopping today and now have to wait until tomorrow.

DH managed to pinch a nerve this morning so he's pretty miserable. DD's off enjoying her friends' last day of freedom before they're back in school tomorrow. We were going to get DD's new computer set up today (well, new to her, it's my old one), but since DH isn't entirely mobile, I think it's going to wait.

Tomorrow we get to go stand in line at the DES office to turn in DW#2's stuff--except for her birth cert, which we don't have, we'll have to ask if there's anything we can do to work around that. Ugh. She didn't get the job we thought she'd landed, but she is getting unemployment.

Off to work on my resume. Law school application is due by the end of the month.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

Grrr...when they say food stamps will be deposited on X day of the month, I wish they'd also mention that it'll be DELAYED if X day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday...was looking forward to grocery shopping today and now have to wait until tomorrow.

Hmmm, we've never had to wait (in MI). However, this month they changed things to make it easier on grocers to keep fresh foods in stock. Every now has a new day their FS become available. It'll change every month until you get to your final day. Mine was the 8th. This month it's the 7th, then one day later until I finally rest at the 11th. Maybe your state did this, too? Something to look into if you still don't have your funds tomorrow...

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

Happy New Year everyone!  I have some great news...we have a house and will move soon.  I'm planning to care for two babies to help increase my income (and I love babies and toddlers)!

I think this year is looking better all ready.  I'll have a warm bedroom!  I'm so happy.  Anyway, wanted to share the news.  Where do you go to get good washer and dryer's, beds and tables?  I've been watching Craigslist for a while, both Free and For Sale, and haven't found anything yet.  Hoping January brings these things I need. 

How are all of you doing?

That's great!! Horray! Have you looked at your local Freecycle list? Freecycle is usually a yahoo group for every area and people list stuff they want to give away and you can also make a ISO post. GL!

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Well it is only 3 days into the new year and I am already feeling desperate. I was making a budget yesterday and Excel was confusing me and finally I just shut it down and thought, "What is the point??" What difference does it make if I keep records of everything when the expenses are twice the income??? Thank HEAVENS, DH's rich grampa gave all his grandkids $5000 for Christmas or we wouldn't be paying the mortgage this month. But it just feels bittersweet because what happens when that money is gone? At least there is tax return but again, it only lasts so long. Also, I was really excited about that possible PT job opportunity but the last time I heard from her was 12/21. I am holding out hope that maybe she had off all last week and will call today but as time ticks by, I am realizing she probably just isn't interested in hiring me afterall. Lastly, it has been almost a year since we applied for a loan mod through the Making Home Affordable program (which I know is the average wait time!!) and I STILL haven't heard anything!! Every time I call it is "another 30 days." Last I heard was that we were "under review with the investor" which is supposedly the final stage and takes 30-45 days but that was in September! So they put through an "escalation" to see what is going on but I had one of those done before and nobody actually every followed through (I called and they said nobody actually came back with more info). We NEED that loan mod!!!!!

Some other, non-money related, things have me bummed today, too. Like I really want to exercise and lose some baby weight but it's so hard to find time but I AM going to start the Couch to 5k running plan today when DH gets home from work- freezing temps or not! Also it seems I never have time to meal plan properly and that we are always scrounging up meals. I don't know what to feed my kids because they are so picky. My house is a MESS. The kids are running me ragged today and everyone is finally napping now. So I guess I could end this pity party and go work on some of those things I say I never have time for, huh! Sorry to be a downer, I just really needed to vent.

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM

i just found out today that my FS will be reduced from 286 to 198. i was already about $100 over that to begin with. i don't have the money to make up the difference. i've picked up two more large paper routes, which will be adding over $300 per month, and that's already budgeted. i suppose that some categories will have to go back to $0 again until i can see just what i can do with our groceries. we have too many food allergies/sensitivities to be able to eat a standard grain-based diet. on the positive side, i did find simple rice milk and applesauce recipes today that i'm going to try so that i don't have to buy those pre-made.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Turns out they put a hold on my food stamps until we brought in DW#2's documentation--most particularly her birth cert. They didn't mention this in the letter that said they needed the info by Jan.6th. We went in today, and since we don't have her cert yet (she has to order it from MI because we can't find it anywhere), I had to sign an affidavit affirming that she's a citizen. This should get our food stamps renistated within a few days, but my medicaid is on hold until they have the birth certificate. I guess it's a good thing I'm seeing an NMD midwife who doesn't order a bevy of tests at every appt!

Why MY medicaid benefits are dependent on HER citizenship status is beyond me. It kind of makes sense for the food stamps as long as we're in the same household, that's a shared benefit. But...grumble grr rant anti-immigration republican whine grr....

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm a single mama of a sweet little 3 month old boy. I'm totally on my own since the father is nowhere to be seen, this is a good thing though. I had a fair amount of debt I got myself into before I was pregnant and am slowly getting myself out of it. I made a little spreadsheet on my Mac with it, but I don't really keep up with it and I should. It's a little over $2000 now and I have a few bills that are overdue and a lot.

My goals are to pay each CC debt the min. payment PLUS the interest each month and a little "extra" on the one I owe more on, it's also the one with a higher interest rate and they won't lower it. I'm also not going to order dinner in just b/c I'm hungry and got to lazy to cook. I'm looking for a part time/occasional nanny job as well so I can take my son with me and make a little cash as well. I looked before and had some e-mails back and forth with 2 families but nothing came about with either one. So I'll try again.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome and BIG GIANT {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}} everyone!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This week we are down to the bare in food because we had to spend a fortune on plumbing issues this past week. Hubby is gone to sell cans we had, and I have some money on my debit card just need to get a few more dinner things since I get paid tomorrow from work and can get grocery. That is about all happening over here. Hugs everyone! oh, and I learned I need to have $400 by Feb 15th to pay for my class at school to get my GPA up so I can get FA again. Sigh.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just got great news from our local food bank - Texas is testing a program to let you use food stamps at Farmer's Markets! http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/stakeholder/Jan_Feb11/5.html . I"m thrilled - we have a farmers market once a week close to the house and I love getting beets and fruit, but using cash was a problem.

Passing on the news in case anyone else can benefit from it!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM

FrugalMama, that's great! I would love to shop at the farmers market with my fs!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Just got great news from our local food bank - Texas is testing a program to let you use food stamps at Farmer's Markets! http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/stakeholder/Jan_Feb11/5.html . I"m thrilled - we have a farmers market once a week close to the house and I love getting beets and fruit, but using cash was a problem.

Passing on the news in case anyone else can benefit from it!

In MI we can use FS anywhere that will take them (for fresh food, of course) and our farmer's market does. They use a token system, so you buy tokens at the office with your FS card and then use the tokens at the individual stands. LOVE it. I get fresh fruits and veggies, of course, but also raw honey and maple syrup, etc. You can also get pastured meat and eggs. Unfortunately you cannot buy raw milk in MI... I have to ration, because we don't get enough FS to buy everything I'd like there, but I love that I am able to if I want to.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Just checking in.  I had 1/2 day of work on Tues and the class was so horrible I refused to go back on Weds when they offered it to me.  The teacher was snottty to me, greeted me with ' Your'e not my usual sub' and when I asked her for the lesson plans her response was 'well its just the Civil War, don't you know about that'.  The whole fiasco was horrid.  Usually 1/2 days are awesome.

No work for tomorrow, hopefully something will surface for Thursday.  I have an interview for Friday. Its not a job I want and I dont think I will pass the firms credit/background check but I need to start interviewing for a normal income type job.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM

zebra15 I hope it goes well and that you either get the job or an interview with a place you really want to work at.

Today I got a nice surprise check int he mail! yay!!!! I love surprise checks, especially nice big ones from the government! The only "problem" is that I never know what to spend them on. Technically it's for my son, it's the child tax benefit, but he really doesn't need much right now. So I'll put it all on on bills and debt so I can get caught up a little. It's $744!!!!! So I have to sit down and decide what bills and debt it should go to and I'll probably get a few groceries as well and of course set aside $30 for his RESP. He really doesn't need anything since he has the crib (that we don't use at the moment) clothes, cloth diapers and mama milk.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM

wave.gif I'd like to join. Our financial situation has been rocky mountainous over the last few years. Before children (5 years ago), I worked part-time for the same place that I do now, making $4 less an hour. Post DD1, I got a new job making $30k a year which isn't bad for Maine. DH delivered pizza. Then we bought a house and I had DS. Meanwhile we racked up thousands of dollars in credit cards and school loans (and I mean thousands). A lot of the credit card debt was spent on education, home furnishing, etc. We were making decent money (DH started working for the post office, part-time) and able to avoid childcare by rotating our schedule. I made way more than minimum payments on everything. We even bought a $20k vehicle for my long commute and growing family with dog.

Fast forward to Oct 2009. I was extremely depressed. DD2 was 9 months and a very sick (misdiagnosed) baby. DS was high-needs. I felt like I needed to be home. I quit on the 1st, applied for Maine Care and FS on the 5th, then had DD2 admitted to Barbara Bush Children's Hospital for failure-to-thrive. She had open-heart surgery on the 9th.

We're in a much better place now, one year later, but have huge financial (mostly debt) stress. I know work PT on the weekends. DH delivers minimally and works for the post office. The carrier that he works for is retiring so he will be working full-time for the next 3 months. This means we definitely lose our FS and maybe even our Medicaid. This is horrible because both my youngest children have ongoing medical appointments (occupational therapy for DS and cardiac monitoring for DD2).

I feel like one of those people on Oprah years ago - you know, the ones with $20k in credit card debt, $20k in school debt, $20k in vehicles, and $130k mortgage?? The only thing is, is that those people made $100k a year. We barely made $50k last year.

I think in consideration of our debt, I belong here. I can't sell the home or the cars, because we owe more than they're worth. So, I'm holding on tight and just trying not to lose anything. I have a 5 year plan. It includes a lot of no-spending and every. single. penny going toward our debt and now, food. I need the support to continue living frugally smile.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I so understand what you are going though. We lost our medicaid,FS,and wic when I got a job so now we will have to pay out of pocket for our kids medical which we can't pay for. We are still trying to get medicaid back and forget the rest since we can semi afford those things for now. I have 20k in debt for hospital bills and it's like a end never in sight. I hope it gets better for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

wave.gif I'd like to join. Our financial situation has been rocky mountainous over the last few years. Before children (5 years ago), I worked part-time for the same place that I do now, making $4 less an hour. Post DD1, I got a new job making $30k a year which isn't bad for Maine. DH delivered pizza. Then we bought a house and I had DS. Meanwhile we racked up thousands of dollars in credit cards and school loans (and I mean thousands). A lot of the credit card debt was spent on education, home furnishing, etc. We were making decent money (DH started working for the post office, part-time) and able to avoid childcare by rotating our schedule. I made way more than minimum payments on everything. We even bought a $20k vehicle for my long commute and growing family with dog.

Fast forward to Oct 2009. I was extremely depressed. DD2 was 9 months and a very sick (misdiagnosed) baby. DS was high-needs. I felt like I needed to be home. I quit on the 1st, applied for Maine Care and FS on the 5th, then had DD2 admitted to Barbara Bush Children's Hospital for failure-to-thrive. She had open-heart surgery on the 9th.

We're in a much better place now, one year later, but have huge financial (mostly debt) stress. I know work PT on the weekends. DH delivers minimally and works for the post office. The carrier that he works for is retiring so he will be working full-time for the next 3 months. This means we definitely lose our FS and maybe even our Medicaid. This is horrible because both my youngest children have ongoing medical appointments (occupational therapy for DS and cardiac monitoring for DD2).

I feel like one of those people on Oprah years ago - you know, the ones with $20k in credit card debt, $20k in school debt, $20k in vehicles, and $130k mortgage?? The only thing is, is that those people made $100k a year. We barely made $50k last year.

I think in consideration of our debt, I belong here. I can't sell the home or the cars, because we owe more than they're worth. So, I'm holding on tight and just trying not to lose anything. I have a 5 year plan. It includes a lot of no-spending and every. single. penny going toward our debt and now, food. I need the support to continue living frugally smile.gif

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Ya know I just want one thing to go right.  I need to cancel the interview because I need a dr's appt.  I call the dr's office for an appt and I get stuck w/ the PA.  I always get stuck w the PA cuz I have crappy insurance.  If I wanted to see the PA I would've asked for the PA, I asked for the DR... ya know Im gonna go see the PA and nothing is going to get resolved and next week Im going to call back and have to see the DR.  This just wastes everyones times and doesn't save the insurance any money.  Gotta love the budget cuts to AHCCCS.

Oh and my sons father is being a major fool these days.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

I haven't been on in a while but I'm back, its just me and my daughter and I am doing okay lately but at the end of Feb I am losing 2 of the kids I was and in the next few weeks one is going down to part time. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do but I'll need to figure something out so I can hopefully still make my bills! Right now I am cutting back and saving like a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Ya know I just want one thing to go right.  I need to cancel the interview because I need a dr's appt.  I call the dr's office for an appt and I get stuck w/ the PA.  I always get stuck w the PA cuz I have crappy insurance.  If I wanted to see the PA I would've asked for the PA, I asked for the DR... ya know Im gonna go see the PA and nothing is going to get resolved and next week Im going to call back and have to see the DR.  This just wastes everyones times and doesn't save the insurance any money.  Gotta love the budget cuts to AHCCCS.

Oh and my sons father is being a major fool these days.

So is my daughters dad, like beyond... I might have to go to court about it and don't think I qualify for legal aid and there is no way I can afford a lawyer, I feel like I'm in a bad bad position and not sure what I'm going to do about it. The really sucky thing is, he qualifies for legal aid....... ugh

User Tag List