How many times a month do you eat out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious.  Including all sit down meals, take home meals and fast food trips.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 33 Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM

We use to eat out 2-3 times a week but I am really trying to cut it down. I budgeted 60$ for the month for me and DD for eating go it would be enough to grab fast food once a week or for one meal when kids eat free. We haven't been out to eat in over a week so far so we are doing alright.

#3 of 33 Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM

usually zero!  I would say between take out and actually dining out, maybe 6 times a year including pizzas.  I am a food snob, so if I were rich and could have $500 dinners I'd go out a lot.  As it is, I feel like I can make it better at home, it's cheaper, and easier.  I also love cooking.

#4 of 33 Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Maybe 1 - 3 times in any given month.

Used to be more, maybe as often as 4 - 8 times a month when we lived in city center Denver surrounded by any and every food choice in a 10 minute radius, but now it's a 10 minute trip to the closest gas station and Taco Bell, so it's easier, much cheaper and normally faster to just cook something myself.

#5 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM

1-2 times a week.

#6 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Depends on the month, sometimes not at all, sometimes 2-3 times.  It's rarely more than that though.

#7 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Almost never, really.  Maybe 6 times a year.  I have trouble maintaining both my health AND my budget if I eat out.  I took my kids out for breakfast over the holiday and I didn't order anything but I tasted theirs.  My homemade stuff tastes alot better and is healthier and obviously far, far cheaper.  Someone I work with said he either always eats out.  I have trouble getting my head around that..

#8 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM

0-2

#9 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Probably 1-2 times per week here too.  Our usual choices are sushi, vietnamese, or indian food, so not things we'd normally make at home.  We enjoy the variety and fortunately our budget allows it.

#10 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 AM

This may sound terrible, but we have eaten out every single day so far this year (and some days twice).  My excuse, I guess, is that we were out of town until the 2nd, and I still haven't done a full grocery trip since we came home (hopefully today!).  Otherwise, I'd say as a family we eat out about once a week, maybe two.  BUT, DH eats out for breakfast or lunch every single day, and I fall into a bad habit of going through the drive-thru every morning for coffee and adding something to eat as well.  So, really, I guess at least one of us eats out on for one meal on a daily basis.  It's a good thing that wasn't my new year's resolution. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

The kids get taken out after teacher conferences.There are 2 per school year.I might take them out last day of school and 2 times in the summer. Might come out to 1 time every month or other month. I do get carry out pizza for ds  1 day a week,or atleast evey other week when on sale.I stopped doing the kids meals at BK/Mc after paying $12 one time.Could not stomach that much money for 3 tiny meals!

#12 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM

We don't eat fast food... ever.  We almost never eat at chain sit down restaurants.  We eat at nicer restaurants once a week plus special occasions (for example, we might eat out twice during Mother's Day week).  I cook from scratch at home, and we like it better than almost any place.  I also meal plan, so our eating out is a planned family activity, and not just getting something to eat.  So, usually 4 times per month.

#13 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM

We eat out about twice a week.  Ocassionally more.  In the dead of summer or winter, my kids like to play at Chick-fil-A, so I might go there.  But that's more occasional. 

Once a week, I go out to lunch with my mom.  She LOVES to go out to eat, she pays, and shoot, I like to eat out, too.  It's a nice chance for my kids to practice eating out in a friendly (college town, with their grandma) sort of environment.  We favor local, college-y places (taco stand, burrito place, hibachi grill, etc) there.

My dh and I eat out once a week.  Either take out for Saturday night or as a family for Saturday lunch.  We live in a place with such good ethnic food.  Mine is good at home, but not the same.  So, we really love our take out budget.  Indian, Turkish, Israeli, Mexican, Thai, Malaysian, Columbian, Peruvian, you name it, we love it.

#14 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Once or twice a month we get take-out from our local Mexican restaurant. Two or three times a year I might go out with my mom friends or out for my or my husband's birthday. Living rurally really helps cut down on eating out.

#15 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Our whole family goes out once a week.  DH often goes out for lunch one day a week with his colleagues as well. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#16 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM

As a family, 2-3 times/week (pizza one night, sit-down at a chain type place one night, drive thru Chick-Fil-A Saturday afternoon).

If you count coffee for me twice weekly and Huz's lunches when he's at school/work, it goes up exponentially....

#17 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM

On average a couple times a month as a family we go out to dinner.  I meet my Mom's group once a month for breakfast.  My dh occasionally eats out for lunch at work.  That number goes up when we are traveling and we ate out a little more over the holidays.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#18 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM

We eat out 1, maybe 2 times, a month as a family.  Once usually fast food or pho.  If we eat out twice it's usually for a planned occasion at a specific restaurant.  We're kinda foodies and we really love to cook good food and eat out at fantastic restaurants.  We rarely eat at chains.  So, when we do eat out at a restaurant it's either just DW and I, or the whole family, and easily runs $150+ per meal.  That doesn't make it affordable or realistic very often - maybe every other month.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#19 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

2-3 times a month I think. DH and I will sometimes go out for lunch on one of his days off and sometimes we will get a take away dinner if we feel like having a night off.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#20 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
aek

More then I cook for sure ... Maybe 3-4 times a week. And we don't eat "fast food". I am trying to give up these habits but it's so hard when I have particular cravings like sushi, indian, baby back ribs, etc

#21 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM

2-3 times a month, I try to stay under $100 for all eating out in a month. Maybe once for breakfast or Chinese dinner buffet with IL's, once for pizza as a family, and then I take the kids to lunch to a diner or burger place once a month. Occasionally DH and I meet for (cheap) sushi lunch if the kids are in school. We like to cook and really prefer to eat at home (and my kids seem to eat better when we eat at home). It's feels more relaxing for us, and is better for the budget, of course.

#22 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Rarely.  I'm saving a christmas gift certificate to a crappy mallside chain for post tax season, for a celebration. 

#23 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

As a family, once a week, usually pizza. I do get a bagel or croissant with coffee a couple times a week for breakfast, although I try to limit it to once a week. DH sometimes eats lunch out when he's at work, but not every day. So, including all that, maybe 5 times a week? That sounds like a lot!

#24 of 33 Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM

I take my girls to a pizza buffet each Tuesday between their morning activity and the library story time in the afternoon.  The kids are free, and my buffet is $7.50.  The pizza is way less greasy than the norm.  DH brings his lunch most days, but eats out for lunch maybe 4 times a month (though it might be not at all for 2 weeks, and then twice one week).  We've gotten into the habit of going out to lunch as a family on Sundays after church.  It's a nice family outing and we generally spent about $20 for the 4 of us.  I'm debating making a goal to cut this back.

As far as dinner, perhaps 2-3 time a month?  It was more over the holidays when we did traveling and had guests, but I think that's about right, roughly once every other week.  The better I'm doing sticking to the meal plan, the better we do at not eating out at dinner.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#25 of 33 Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM

We eat out 4-6 times a month, usually fast food or pizza. Trying to cut back on this, though.

#26 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM

We eat out about 0-2 times per month.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#27 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Maybe a couple times a month.  One or two lunch dates for DH and I (usually at a sandwich place or something) and maybe a nice sit down dinner at a local place.  Eating out is not fun with DS, so we avoid it and just go when we have a sitter.  I would say well under $100 a month, even with the sitter costs.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#28 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 AM

I just ran our 2010 spending reports last week. Of the 1,095 meals in 2010 (365 days x 3 meals a day), we ate out exactly 52 times. Ten of those were DD's school lunches, so that leaves 42 family meals out (2 or more of us; if DH or I go out with friends or solo, it comes out of our personal spending)...less than once a week. Our spending plan gave us $130 per month for 'dining', but we averaged $101 per month.

FTR, all eating we do on vacation comes out of the vacation account, so I don't know about that. We were on our first family fun vacation back in April for 9 days.

I'm preparing 2011's spending plan on Tuesday and will drop our dining to $105 per month. (Part of the difference will go towards 'food' -- as in groceries -- because we prefer to keep our CSA and cook at home mostly.) We are unlikely to go on vacation in 2011, so I want the extra $4 a month in the plan to cover a full year. We're good with this amount of eating out and the money we spend doing it. We've come a LONG WAY and are quite happy with where we are now. orngbiggrin.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#29 of 33 Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

We eat out 1, maybe 2 times, a month as a family.  Once usually fast food or pho.  If we eat out twice it's usually for a planned occasion at a specific restaurant.  We're kinda foodies and we really love to cook good food and eat out at fantastic restaurants.  We rarely eat at chains.  So, when we do eat out at a restaurant it's either just DW and I, or the whole family, and easily runs $150+ per meal.  That doesn't make it affordable or realistic very often - maybe every other month.

We consider ourselves more foodie types, too, but poor ones.  LOL.  I'm all over the newest restaurant for pho or the best falafel in the city.  Right now, I'm looking forward to a new place with baja style fish tacos that has all the blogs talking.  We only get to do the $150 type meals on anniversaries (mostly due to lack of babysitting--that would add an extra $50 to our night, and we can't swing it right now regularly).

#30 of 33 Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

We have a one day a month rule for the family. We plan the day and either go out or order in. I do a mom's night out once a month so I get to eat out then too. We actually haven't talked about our January meal, I will have to talk to DH about it tonight. It is fun to look forward to. We do not eat fast food. If we are going to be out, traveling, at a theme park during meals, we bring food. We try to stay away from chain restaurants. My parents love giving us gift cards to places like Outback. It's a little annoying but I feel bad complaining.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page