Replacing a dishwasher or just going without?- *more info post 38 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you take money from family for a new dishwasher, knowing you cannot pay it back, even though i
Yes 11 20.00%
No 29 52.73%
Only if they absolutely insisted 15 27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, our dishwasher is officially broken beyond repair greensad.gif

For the last 3 weeks, DH and I have been alternating dishwashing chores, though he constantly complains that I 'use' too many dishes when preparing meals (like prep bowls, knives, etc...). We really cannot afford a new dishwasher right now, but we have several family members who would be willing help us out with the cost. The problem with that is we have been in a tough place financially for a while now and feel a little bad about taking money for something that is not technically a "necessity".

These family members know we cannot pay the money back (at least not anytime soon) because we have several major expenses (major dental work and other medical stuff) that we have to pay off first. By the time we could pay for a new dishwasher it would probably be time for another new dishwasher!!! So I kind of feel bad taking money for something knowing I cannot pay it back. But I am going crazy with all the dishwashing! We have 3 adults and 2 children in the house and right now it is 2pm here and I have washed 4 sink-fulls of dishes already today.

What would you do?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Yes, if they insisted even after you were perfectly clear that you would never be able to pay them back. I would probably ask them to consider it their bday/Christmas gift to the family for the rest of the year or something (if they normally give gifts for those occasions) or offer to help them with a household project or sew/bake them something or whatever you can do to reciprocate without spending money. I'd also choose one of the very low-end dishwashers (I've seen some under $200, ours was $250 I think). It's hard (though of course not impossible) to live without a dishwasher once you have a family!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I voted "no" but I would consider it if it was coming from a relative who was well-off and it was blatantly clear it was a gift with no expectation of being returned.

Personally though, I detest dishwasers....I'd much rather do dishes 4 times a day as things accumulate, get them dried, and put away (ideally...I know it doesn't always happen that way) than manage the fine art of loading a dishwasher without needing said dishes before it's been ran and washing them by hand anyhow.

The Fly Lady's book "Sink Reflections" helped change my attitude about dishes....it took them from feeling like a woe-is-me burden to a I'm-thankful-we-had-these-dishes-to-use-and-food-to-eat perspective. Simplifying your dishes stash and only having what you need for 1 meal readily available in your cupboards helps too (you can store more in storage, but that way you rarely have an overwhelming amount of dishes to do). Also starting meal prep with a clean kitchen and washing as you go through meal prep...easier said than done sometimes, but it can work.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Do you have a local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store?  I got our dishwasher there for $15-no joke!

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM

I voted no. If they really want to give you money then I would put it toward your bills rather than a dishwasher at this time. I lived without a dishwasher for many years and I love having one but I wouldn't spend the money for one if we really needed to pay bills more.

I would make an effort toward retraining yourself and your family to use less dishes. Rinse/wash an item right away and re-use it instead of getting a different item out, make one dish meals or things that don't require utensils/plates to eat, reduce the number of dishes available for use.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM

No, I would not. I enjoyed having a dishwasher for the brief time we had one (three years) but for all the rest of my life I've done without one.

If it were another, more important appliance, like a clothes washing machine or stove, then yes, I would. But I would not borrow from family for a non-necessity, especially knowing that I'd never pay it back.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Nope, but for us it would be a complete waste of time, we usually don't even use out dishwasher except after big meals.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMM1117 View Post

Do you have a local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store?  I got our dishwasher there for $15-no joke!

we do, and I was thinking about checking it out! Thanks for the suggestion!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM

If they insisted, I would. I would not cope well without a dishwasher. Now, I have gone without one before, and grew up without one, but I hate hate hate doing dishes by hand. Another option to check out is your local home improvement store. Sometimes, people may return a perfectly fine dishwasher for a minor "defect", that is not really a defect at all. If you check a couple times a week, you can come across a very good deal. (They'll give discounts on floor models, too)

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM

I have a large family and haven't had a dishwasher in so long I can't understand the fuss in owning such a magical dishwashing device orngtongue.gif I am the dish washer! I don't enjoy washing dishes but I do it the same as I do all the things that are necessary parts of keeping my family running. I wouldn't borrow money for something short of a true emergency. I'm really stubborn that way, though. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

I have gotten used appliances from craigslist.  People remodel and get rid of well working appliances to get new ones that match their decor.  

Old 01-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Nope, and I bet after being without a dishwasher for a while you'll notice yourself washing and re-using prep bowls throughout meal prep vs. using as many :) I know I did.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Another no vote. We have a dishwasher and never use it, I cook a great deal and pretty much we do the wash as you go system. For me by the time I have scraped and rinsed the dishes I may as well wash them myself but that's just me.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Nope, we are a family of 5 and live fine without one.  We are careful to not dirty more than we have to and stay on top of the sink.  

I like to keep a sinkful of warm, soapy water and wash as I cook.  I can usually sit down to a meal with having an empty sink.  After dinner, it pretty simple to wash five plates, cups, and forks.  The trick is t not let it build up.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We did just remodel our kitchen and replaced our dishwasher. We gave it away. It wasn't working great, but it worked. DH kicked himself that he didn't set it up somewhere in the basement bathroom because washing dishes was such a huge pain in the arse in the teeny basement bathroom sink for the 6 months that the dishwasher was out of commission. So, I'd look for a used one/free one first, but if you can't find one and you're really missing having one I'd definitely consider borrowing the money for an inexpensive one. Our old one lasted at least 10 years so there's a good chance in 10 years you might have enough money to pay off that small debt.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

I have gotten used appliances from craigslist.  People remodel and get rid of well working appliances to get new ones that match their decor.  

This.  Our dishwasher finally died last year.  We have no money to buy a new one.  But we did replace our dishwasher, from free, from craigslist.  People remodel and get rid of perfectly good stuff all the time, just cause they don't match.  They move in and bring their own appliances and get rid of whatever was left in the house.  Check freecycle too

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 AM

I voted for the third option-- if family insists on giving you money for a dishwasher, and you make it clear that you'll accept money gifts, but can't repay loans. However, if you havea good local Craigslist, Freecycle, or ReStore, definitely check them out!!

We're a family of 5 + many fur babies, and the dishwasher is my best friend. I don't dislike hand-washing dishes, and still end up hand-washing pots, pans, and wooden stuff, but when we didn't have a functional dishwasher, the "dishwashing in fits and starts" that happened while parenting two toddlers and a newborn was just not effective. We bought a low-end mechanical dishwasher with no bells or whistles ($250ish) to replace the super-fancy digital model that broke a few months after we bought our house (the previous owners installed it). The cheap-o, non-fancy dishwasher we have is a little louder than the fancy one, but DH can easily fix it if something goes wrong with it-- when the digital one broke, the Repair Tech quoted us over $600 to replace the motherboard, and then more $$ to fix anything else wrong after that.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Also post on Freecycle and ask. Someone on my local Freecycle just got a washer and dryer for free because someone was replacing their old one with a high efficiency set. 

Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I voted no.  Currently, we have a dishwasher, and like another poster, really only use it when we have company over for large meals.  Otherwise, we wash by hand several times a day.  And, like yet another poster, I can't seem to perfect the art of not needing what's in there before it's been run.

A little history - I detested my chore of dishwashing growing up.  Then we got a dishwasher.  Loved it!!!  Off to college, law school, living alone, marrying and having two kids.  All that took 21 years, during which time I never had a dishwasher until last year.  So not a necessity.  Plus, having that chore can be a nice part of your daily rhythm if you choose to look at it that way.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Another vote for CL.  Our dishwasher broke, and we are in the middle of a kitchen re-model, so not ready to do new appliances yet.  We found a free dishwasher on CL, after looking for a week or two, and installed it.  Works fine...actually works better than our pricey newer model ever did.  If you or your dh, or someone in your fam. is handy, this might be a great option.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM

So you're basically asking a family member to gift you a new dishwasher because you don't like washing dishes by hand. 

A dishwasher is a luxury, not a necessity. I have a family of 6, soon to be 7. I do dishes several times a day - by hand. Learn how to be more efficient with your dish use. It's really not that bad. 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM

I voted no.  We're in a similar circumstance right now.  Our dishwasher finally gave up a month ago, and we've been washing dishes by hand since then.  I used to be the sort of person who HATED washing dishes by hand.  Any dish I used would go in the dishwasher.  I never washed by hand.

But now that I've gotten into the routine, I find I actually enjoy (or don't mind) washing dishes by hand.  It's not the most convenient, but it's not horrible either.  Washing dishes after dinner helps to me to get into a good evening routine.  I thought it would be horrible, and it's not at all.

I will say that we *could* afford to replace the dishwasher if we really wanted to, but we have other financial priorities right now and I'm unwilling to take money out of savings to pay for one.  Maybe it helps to look at it as a conscious choice that I'm making.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post

So you're basically asking a family member to gift you a new dishwasher because you don't like washing dishes by hand. 

A dishwasher is a luxury, not a necessity. I have a family of 6, soon to be 7. I do dishes several times a day - by hand. Learn how to be more efficient with your dish use. It's really not that bad. 

I want to be clear. I did not ask anyone for anything. I think that was a bit rude of you to attack like that.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Hey TracyMom.  I've never had a dishwasher, and probably wouldn't know how to operate one if I had it!  Personally, if a family member wanted to gift me an appliance, I would wait until I needed to replace a washer (like PP said) or put the money towards a new fridge (which can be a major expense).  I don't view a dishwasher as a necessity, and so maybe my opinion is slightly biased.  If they really, really insist, and you view it as something that helps maintain your sanity, then go for it.  

One of the things that has helped us as a non-diswasher family is that we tend to use the same plates and cups daily.  DH or I normally clean up the kitchen in the evening, and then we use the same dishes the next day.  Holy cow, DH and I have been using the same coffee cups for almost 18 years!  The only time we have a lot of dishes is when we make an attempt to cook "gourmet" or if we have company.  People usually pitch in in those events.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm kind of surprised at the responses. I've gone without a dishwasher for long stretches of time. Yeah, it's totally doable, but having a dishwasher leaves much more time for other things... you know, like work, showers, chasing toddlers, etc... It *is* a luxury but not in the same way as, say, a pedicure or a flat-screen TV... if someone offered to 'gift' my family a dishwasher because they knew we were struggling, I wouldn't feel at all guilty about accepting, I think that's wonderful of your family!! Family helps each other out & I'm sure there are other ways the OP can reciprocate in the future or has helped out her family in the past. :)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I'm kind of surprised at the responses. I've gone without a dishwasher for long stretches of time. Yeah, it's totally doable, but having a dishwasher leaves much more time for other things... you know, like work, showers, chasing toddlers, etc... It *is* a luxury but not in the same way as, say, a pedicure or a flat-screen TV... if someone offered to 'gift' my family a dishwasher because they knew we were struggling, I wouldn't feel at all guilty about accepting, I think that's wonderful of your family!! Family helps each other out & I'm sure there are other ways the OP can reciprocate in the future or has helped out her family in the past. :)

IME, for our family of 6, its faster to do the dishes by hand than to rinse, load, unload and then also do the pots and pans, large bowls etc by hand anyway. We have a dishwasher and I rarely use it.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM

I think whether it is viewed as a necessity or luxury depends highly on how you eat as family.  Case in point, we visited my parents recently (after a long time) and I was shocked and amazed at the number of dishes generated for one meal.  Actually, this was how we used to set a table when I was growing up, but I had forgotten after all those years.  At my parents' table (both recently and in my youth) we had a separate salad bowl, separate small plate for bread, two forks (one salad / one regular), two glasses (one for water and one for other type of drink), dessert plate, dessert drink (coffee or other), dessert silverware. and a huge amount of bowls and dishes to house various things coming out of pots and pans.  This was for one 'simple' meal.  Breakfast was much like this minus the salad stuff.  This was the drill when I was young, too, so this was no special occasion.  My sister handles meals  in much the same way and a dishwasher is pretty much a necessity in her family.  I couldn't imagine having that many dishes to wash after every meal!  Maybe it is laziness on my part and DH's part, but there's one plate and fork and no serving dishes in our house (except when company is here).  Maybe it is a chicken/egg thing.  We don't generate a lot of dishes because there is sense of laziness about cleaning up, so we  make do with minimal dishes and cutlery.  Perhaps my view would change if we did more formal meals.  We tend to be grazers too, so that probably plays into the mix.  

OP, you should consider how valuable a dishwasher is to you and the time and effort you save by having one.  I view it the same way (in frugality terms) that I view having a good pair of shoes.  I pay more for an excellent pair of shoes which will last me because I do a lot of walking and I refuse to scrimp on cheap shoes.  I value high quality shoes because they are a necessity for my lifestyle choices.  I would look at something like a dishwasher the same way.  It may seem like a luxury to some, but to you it may be highly valued in your daily life and help you in ways that other people don't understand or realize.  I guess I'm with Crunchy Mommy ultimately:  if your family wants to do it for you, and expects no reciprocation, than go for it!

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:58 PM

No. It's not a necessity. We moved into an older home 3 years ago and haven't had a dishwasher since then. With 3 adults in the house it should be easy to rotate dish washing duty.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

IME, for our family of 6, its faster to do the dishes by hand than to rinse, load, unload and then also do the pots and pans, large bowls etc by hand anyway. We have a dishwasher and I rarely use it.

Agree, much faster to wash by hand. We are a family of 4. We don't have a dishwasher. We had one in our last house, but never used it. I do a quick washup in the morning after breakfast (or sometimes lunch). It takes about 15 minutes. While I am making dinner, I wash the prep stuff as I go along. After dinner, it takes another 15 or 20 minutes to wash up the plates, cutlery, glasses and any last pots and pans. Unless I've done a lot of baking or I'm creating a big, elaborate meal, I don't find that washing by hand takes a long time at all. 

When we had a dishwasher, we only ran it when it was full. I was always frustrated because the dishes always seemed to be dirty and waiting in the dishwasher, rather than clean and available in my cupboard. I would try to set the table for dinner, realize that all our dishes were dirty and end up washing a bunch by hand anyway. 

Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

It takes much less of my time to run the dishwasher. Folks who prefer to hand wash may find it different for them, but for us, overall running the dishwasher is much more time efficient. We usually run the dishwasher once a day (after supper). I empty the dishwasher in the morning and then all day long as the dishes are dirty everyone just puts them straight in the dishwasher. If they're very dirty or have globs of something sticky on them we rinse them in the sink, but it takes hardly any time at all. It's very rare that I find a particular item is dirty when I need it, but occasionally my favorite spatula is and I give it a quick scrub. I have others, though, too. We don't run out of glasses or cups or bowls or plates. The overall cycle of the dishwasher may take longer than handwashing, but MY time spent is much less. I have read (couldn't swear to it) that they use less water than hand-washing, but I'm sure that depends on the methods of hand-washing and brands of dishwashers. Of course dishwashers use more energy. Overall, though, it's a big time-saver around our house.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List