Questions about ebay, paypal, and buyer protection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so, I bought an item I've been wanting for a while off ebay. The item (a bodybuggSP) arrived today but the box looks like it was already opened, even though the description said new, unused, unopened. The seller stated no returns are accepted.

I figured, ok, well, I'll try to register it and see what happens. It won't let me register it saying the SN is not valid. I googled it a bit and found out others were having this problem when their bodybugg is already registered to someone else. The product description also clearly states that it comes with a 6 month free subscription to the service. If it turns out this bodybugg is already registered to someone else, I have to pay $70 to have it registered to me for 6 months!!!

So, I emailed the seller about how I think it's already been used and I will contact tech support Monday to find out for sure. I said if it's been used I will be wanting a refund, and if it all turns out to be a misunderstanding then I am very sorry.

So... what exactly happens with ebay's buyer protection? I read on the ebay site and all about it, but any personal experience? How long do they take to resolve issues?

I'm hoping it's all just a glitch and I'm able to apologize profusely to the seller for jumping the gun a bit, and that if it's not then the seller is accommodating. But if not then I'd like to have some idea of how long it takes them to resolve issues and such.

Thanks!

ETA: I figured this was the right place to post it, as refunds and such have to do with money. Hope I didn't put it in the wrong spot.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#2 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Bumping for you - I've never had someone file a claim against me, but I am a full-time ebay seller, and know they get resolved quite quickly, nearly always in the buyers favor.  But do give your seller a chance to fix the problem first.  If they still refuse a refund, even though the item is considerably not as described, then go ahead and file a claim.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 AM

Yeah, give the seller a chance to refund your money but absolutely ask for it - opened and registered does not = new in box/unused.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#4 of 4 Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I'll absolutely try to go through the seller first and try to resolve it that way. I'd much prefer to do it that way and have it be quick, easy and polite. But it's nice to know that buyer protection usually resolves things quickly if that doesn't work.

Thanks again. :)

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page