coupons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone here have any advice for couponing?  I just started about two months ago and I'm saving money, but I know I can save more, I'm just not sure how.  So what are you tips, favorite websites, etc.?

obstruct livery vehicles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Have you seen www.moneysavingmom.com ?  I'm not a great couponer (yet) but I get lots of tips from that site

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

www.southernsavers.com is fantastic! She matches up the coupons and sale ads to get you the best deals.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Well I have a bunch.  Are you interested in particular stores?  Some blogs just cover (for the most part) say Target, or CVS or Rite Aid or Walgreens.  Others cover everything including grocery stores.

Start here:

http://www.afullcup.com/

http://www.forthemommas.com/ 

http://www.mycitymommy.com/       (You can also find your local city.  For example I live in St. Louis.  There i a stlmommy.com website. 

http://dealseekingmom.com/ 

http://www.heyitsfree.net/ 

http://www.couponingtodisney.com/ 

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM

This is for Target for the most part.

http://www.totallytarget.com/ 

Here are some more I have.  I have them in Google Reader.

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ 

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 01-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Here are some things I do when using coupons...
1 read the fine print . Ex. Can it be doubled, one per purchase etc...
2 make sure its not expired since I don't want to get to the register and not be able to use it . Or be responsible for getting a cashier in trouble for taking
It...
3. Make sure its something I will actually use not just buy something cause its a good deal
4. This may sound weird but treat the cashiers with utmost kindness and respect..I had a coupon that said could only be used by x family. Please show id. I forgot my id and cause I'm in the same store and always nice to to cashiers they were willing to override it....
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM

http://www.thekrazycouponlady.com

http://www.savingslifestyle.com

http://www.afullcup.com

Stock up when you find a good deal!!  Keep your coupons organized.  I use a coupon box file system, but I know a lot of people prefer a binder.  I have a big pantry in my basement that I keep my stockpile in.  Always try to pair your coupon with a sale.  Around here we have Meijer and Kroger and they both double coupons, so I get lots of thing for free or for pennies on the dollar.  If you have multiple stores nearby, make sure to price compare.  Every week I shop at Meijer and Kroger.  Then if there are good sales at Walgreens, CVS or Target I will stop in at those places.  Luckily they are all nearby.  ALWAYS have a list. Mark what is on sale and what you have coupons for.  Bring the sales ads with you too.  Always be on the look out for unadvertised specials and clearance sales you can pair with a coupon.  NEVER buy anything you don't use just because it is cheap.  You are just wasting money then. I always watch closely when the cashier takes off the coupons to make sure she/he doesn't miss any and that the computer takes them all off. 

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the links -- lots of coupons printing now!

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the links.  I was wondering if anyone had a plan/knew what I could do with leftover coupons.  There are so many in the paper each week that are for products I will just never use (cat food, dog food, diapers, etc.). I send some of the coupons to my sisters and I have heard that military families can use expired coupons on base, but have no clue where to send them.  So, any ideas about what to do with coupons you just aren't going to use? 

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I would be totally lost without afullcup.com, and Southern Savers. Love them both. Hotcouponworld.com is another, but I prefer the other two. I think you can trade  coupons on some of these sites, but it is not something I've done. I typically cut out coupons I will likely use, then keep the rest of the insert and file them by date. If something comes up on sale I can go back and find the coupons I need since these sites tell you which inserts the coupons are in.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierrbugg View Post

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the links.  I was wondering if anyone had a plan/knew what I could do with leftover coupons.  There are so many in the paper each week that are for products I will just never use (cat food, dog food, diapers, etc.). I send some of the coupons to my sisters and I have heard that military families can use expired coupons on base, but have no clue where to send them.  So, any ideas about what to do with coupons you just aren't going to use? 

Check with your local library, assistance office, and WIC office.  Many of them have a "coupon box" where they have clipped coupons.

You might also find out if there is a base/post near you, and call them for advice on where to send coupons.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

I thought of another site I found recently, weusecoupons.com. Hope that helps someone!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Double post!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Someone mentioned moneysavingmom.com, that's one of my favorite because I can find just about any store from there.  I also use savingaddiction.com, couponkatrina.com and couponmom.com.  That last one has a forum for trading coupons. 

For printing coupons-coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com and printablecouponsanddeals.com.  That last one is like a database with links to things like facebook coupons and websites that companies set up just for promos and deals.  And, you can often find coupons particular products on that company's website.

Also, look for catalina and custom coupon deals.  That's the stuff like Extra Bucks at CVS, Register Rewards at Wags, those coupons that print out with your receipt.  Many stores also run deals where you get gift cards when you buy specific products or transfer perscriptions.  Last week, I got $11 worth of catalinas for buying cheese, so I will be able to use that this week for fresh produce.

Someone else mentioned stocking up.  That's one of the basics of couponing.  I got that $11 in catalinas because I bought lots of cheese, like 3 months worth, because it can be frozen and that's about how long it will take for it to cycle back around to that low of a price again.  I have a big chest freezer in the garage so I just toss it in there.  Just throw it in the fridge the day before I want to use it so it thaws.  I also have lots of pantry space to stock up on things like peanut butter, cereal, pasta, etc.  I bought 20 cans of diced tomatos yesterday because they were on sale for 50c each, and I had coupons for 33c off, so I paid 17c a can. 

If you don't have a deep freeze, start scouring CL and FC for free ones, that's how I got mine.  If you don't have much pantry space, well it might be time to get a little creative...storing things under beds or in closets, etc.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM

http://www.thefrugalgirls.com/

She has coupons and matches things with CVS, Walgreens and another one weekly.  She also has freebies and give-aways.  

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

Check with your local library, assistance office, and WIC office.  Many of them have a "coupon box" where they have clipped coupons.

You might also find out if there is a base/post near you, and call them for advice on where to send coupons.

There IS a base within 15 miles of me.  duh.gif   Thanks!!

tea_time:  I also love Frugal Girls - she's one of the blogs I follow in facebook - so I get updated all day long. 

There are also a few freebie sites out there - that list only free products (frugal girls is good about listing alot of these too) - but you often tend to get high dollar coupons w/ the freebies.  So if it's something you are likely to use - that's great - or you can donate the samples locally - and any free products you can get w/ the coupons as you work your sales locally can just be one more product you donate.  Oh, I also like savingcentswithsense.net - she is local to AZ - but matches up alot of stores like - Albertson's/Osco, Fry's (Kroger), Bashas, Safeway (Vons), Target, Rite Aid, Sprouts, Walgreens, & CVS.  For those who shop w/ club cards - shortucts.com is a great way to add coupons to your club card - and it just comes off at the register when you shop. 

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierrbugg View Post
tea_time:  I also love Frugal Girls - she's one of the blogs I follow in facebook - so I get updated all day long. 

Heidi is an old friend of mine so I tend to be partial to her site. :)  She is exactly the same in RL as she is on her blog.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_time View Post

Heidi is an old friend of mine so I tend to be partial to her site. :)  She is exactly the same in RL as she is on her blog.

Speaking of which - she just did a post yesterday about organizing your coupons and there are a ton of great ideas in the comments section - so for anyone struggling with that part - here's the link:  http://www.thefrugalgirls.com/2011/03/organized-coupons.html

SavingCentsWithSense also has a great FAQ on coupons too:  http://www.savingcentswithsense.net/coupon-resources/coupon-resources/

For me the baseball card holders were just too expensive so I used an old binder I already had sitting around and found a system that worked for me with some old manilla folders, sheet protectors, and my food saver (I know that part sounds weird - let's just say dh is a genius).  So - while the baseball card holders are probably great - sometimes you just have to go w/ what's on hand or super cheap to get your hands on. 

User Tag List