Which water filter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are getting rid of our Culligan water filtration system and soft water so we can save money. Can someone recommend a cheap way to filter our water. Right now Culligan filters out fluoride and that is very important to me. Not sure if those Britta filters do that. Also, we only pay $25 a month for the water filtration (an extra $23 for the soft water) so I'm wondering if we shouldn't just keep the filtration. Would we really be saving that much by the time we purchase whatever water filter we buy and the cost of replacing the filters. Right now we don't pay to have the filters changed, Culligan pays for it.

#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM

We have a Crown Berkey filter... but it's an investment upfront. I think we got set up for $300 or so, but filters are washable to a point. You would need both the standard black filters and the additional white filters to take out the flouride.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/ 

We've had ours for a few years, and haven't yet needed to replace any filters.

More techical information here: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-learning-center.htm  and here: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/waterfiltercomparison.htm 

I know it's a larger upfront investment, but it had paid for itself many time over so far, compared tot he PUR filter we used to use, and Berkey water is basically purified water, removes almost everything from the water. I highly recommend.

#3 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've been looking for a good filter, too. Our local water is atrocious and has had multiple violations a year. That and I need to filter out fluoride for dd's thyroid condition. I will check the Berkley filters. Are there any others? I don't think we even have a Culligan around here...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use the Pur filters, but they do NOT remove flouride, unfortunately.  We're in a rental though, so I'm not sure what other options we really have.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's what we had but they crack every time. We've gone through 3 in one year and they don't remove fluoride or chlorine, so we're not buying another.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMama View Post

We use the Pur filters, but they do NOT remove flouride, unfortunately.  We're in a rental though, so I'm not sure what other options we really have.

We live in a rental, no issues with moving the Berkey from house to house. it's countertop, gravity fed, no electricity, no hooking up anything. We even took ours camping a few times to be able to filter water from the river next to our tent. It did slow down, due to being at 11,000 in elevation, but works anyplace.

yes, it was a bit shocking to pay $300 or so for a water filter, but would make the same choice again in a heartbeat, and it's paid for itself many times over the years now that I don't have to pay for the PUR filters each month. Not to mention, that Brita and PUR don't really filter out the bad stuff, so why bother to use that if it doesn't give one what they want.

#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM

I've only ever heard good things about berkey and want one myself.  However zero water looks like maybe it gets out flouride but at a much cheaper cost.  They specifically say they've never tested it for flouride removal but that it should be removed since it would be under the measurement testing that goes to zero.  It can't hurt to check it out.

I'd still go for the berkey though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page