? about finances and finding help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if there is a better place to post this but....where do you (I) find help with finances? I see comercials all of the time advertising debt consolidation and help and I just don't trust them. I can't end up more screwed up than we are now. I need someone to help us figure out how to stop digging the hole that we are in deeper w/o charging us for the advice if at all possible. I feel like I've cut all of our expenses to the minimum yet I still have to use the credit card to buy groceries (there is no money left after I pay all of the other bills). Where do I look for help? TIA!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#2 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 05:07 PM

We just called a credit counselling service today, actually. DH said he found it through the Better business Bureau. I'd say that's a good place to start to find a reliable agency. As far as the free part, I'm not sure. We're paying $75 just to have someone do an interview and a "credit review" with us, where they go over all our debts with us. I don't think we'll be going the debt consolidation route, as I've heard that consolidation itself is pretty bad for your credit. But we would like to know exactly what all our debts are, ya know? anyways, I'm getting OT. Call your BBB! Hope it all works out for ya.
#3 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Also try your local United Way - they sometimes can refer you to a good credit counseling agency.
#4 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 PM

I would only use debt consolidation or bankruptcy as a last resort. They really do a number on your credit, but if you're not able to pay things on time or make ends meet, it may be your only option.

We just finished our debt consolidation program- we were on it for 2 1/2 years. It was very helpful to us, but I wish we hadn't gotten to a point where it was needed.

Check w/the better business bureau- there are definitely good and bad companies. I've heard bad things about one of the big ones who are advertising a lot- sorry, I don't remember the name off hand. Monthly fees should be very small.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 10:15 PM

We have consolidated before without any negative impact on our credit. Maybe it's different in Canada?
#6 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 10:22 PM

Quote:
We have consolidated before without any negative impact on our credit. Maybe it's different in Canada?
You probably got a loan to consolidate all your debt.
What they are talking about is what we here call "Consumer Proposal."

#7 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 PM

Charging groceries is not good! How awful for you. I have been there, done that.

Did consumer credit counseling and it helped. I worked extra shifts at the hospital and along with my husband, we dug out of the black hole we were in. Hard hard....i never want to be there again! I never want to work that hard again in my life! ick!

we bought a house two years later with an excellent interest rate, so it can be done.

Good luck!
#8 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 PM

MamaSoleil, yes we did. I thought that was what they were talking about. :

I'll leave quietly now.
#9 of 10 Old 03-30-2004, 11:19 PM

but there is one lady who use to work for a consumer credit thingy and she said if they charge money then run for the hills...
Like I said I don't know if that is true or not/
#10 of 10 Old 03-31-2004, 12:23 AM

There are some really good books out there. One I am thinking of off the top of my head for this type of situation is called "Debt Proof Living" by Mary Hunt. I'm not 100% on the title but I know she is the author. The book has been around for a while and most libraries would have it. She was way in debt and got out of it.

You might also try the boards at www.simpleliving.net Those folks have lots of good ideas.

I used to teach budgeting. you can pm me and I'll be glad to help.

thistle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page