February 2011 No-Spend Challenge - the best Valentine is money in the bank! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Key:

thumb.gif  no spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  unnecessary/ unbudgeted spending

hang.gif  hung laundry to dry

February Goals

no spend days  9/20

eating out  3/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  5/8

1.  thumb.gif

2.  irked.gif  DH bought dinner for himself.  There was really no other way around it, but I don't count it against our "eating out" goal b/c it was not the whole family.hang.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif hang.gif

5.  irked.gif  HUGE spend day!!  Had to take DS2 to the ER for what has been diagnosed a bacterial skin infection, bought lunch out at McD ($18), went to WM to get DS2 a toy for behaving so well in the ER and other things we needed ($32 later), ended up taking DD2 to our dr's after hours clinic when she showed signs of the same infection, bought dinner for our family AND my parents b/c they watched our kids all day so we didn't have to schlep everyone w/ us ($45), plus 2 antibiotic prescriptions ($12).  Ugh.

6.  thumb.gif

7.  thumb.gif  Back on the wagon with a vengeance.  hang.gif

8.  thumb.gif

9.  irked.gif Took kids to Dr for follow-up for DS2.  Picked up our milk order on the way home (budgeted) and spent an extra $5 for a bottle of chocolate milk for the kiddos b/c they were so well behaved at the Dr's (not budgeted but very much appreciated).  hang.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

12.  irked.gif  Bought a gift for a last minute b-day party, went to Target to get pacifiers for DD2, ended up spending over $150 on an on-sale printer (ours old one wasn't compatible w/ Windows 7 so I haven't had a printer in over a year), underwear, and a handful of on-sale DVDs.  Probably could have gone without a few of the items we bought, but I'm not going to stress out over it, just get back on the wagon. 

13.  thumb.gif  Food shopping, stayed totally within budget.

14.  irked.gif  DH stopped for little candies for the kids and cards $22  hang.gif

15.  irked.gif had pizza delivered.  Lack of planning+ exhausted preggie mama+ cranky kid= $32 spent on pizza.  *SIGH*  we're not doing so hot this month greensad.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#62 of 75 Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Progress:

Credit cards: $712/2311 paid

Groceries: $128/300 ($108 of this is milk irked.gif + $40 bread until we learn to make our own =$150ish other groceries)

Savings: $0/300

Hang-dry: 1/20 (not cloth dipes)

thumb.gif = No-spend day

smile.gif   = Budgeted spending

love.gif   = Under budget!

irked.gif   = Unbudgeted/Unnecessary spending

orngbiggrin.gif  = Hung laundry

thumb.gif

irked.gif DH spent some $ at the convenience store. Movies, and a magazine for each of us. Thoughtful, but he didn't realize I could easily go to the library and photocopy some knitting books rather than pay $$$ for a magazine. Really, this isn't UNbudgeted, as it comes out of his gas money for the week, but he'll probably need to replace that money now.

thumb.gif

smile.gifirked.gif Did groceries. Got 14 loaves of bread for the regular cost of 4! Really happy about that! Then I spent some on clearance baby stuff at Wal-Mart. Things I was going to buy anyway (bouncy chair, newborn mitts, etc) but we'll be returning some of it.

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

smile.gif Didn't need iron supplements, woohoo! Bought milk & some noodles. $12.

smile.gif I went shopping, final clearance, for some birthday gifts for the boys upcoming birthdays. (March, April, May - getting it done now since I'm due in April) spent $83, but I had returned stuff at Wal-Mart for $40, so only $43 out of pocket, and some great scores.

thumb.gif

10 thumb.giforngbiggrin.gif

11 irked.gif Bought some clothes for the new baby - $24 for 3 2-piece outfits, a dress, and a headband + shipping = $33 off the visa.

12 thumb.gif

13 smile.gifirked.gif Went to Zellers to use some gift cards for groceries** & then to get our weeks worth of milk ($27) + some kids lunch stuff and DHs noodles ($30)

14 thumb.gif

15 smile.gif DH didn't put the deposit down yet.. I did, however, buy the baby's stash of diapers since it looks like the younger 2 won't be out of theirs by then.

16 irked.gif Bought myself a cute dress for getting married. It's just a city hall thing, but I still wanted to look nice and we have no maternity stores here. It was a buy one, get one free event so I got a pair of jeans too. Hopefully they'll both fit. DH spent $50 to reserve the date.

Meg
SAH, homeschooling mum to G (05/06), R (03/08), DK (04/09) + S (04/11)!!
Expecting #5, K, mid-November 2014! Team Green!
#63 of 75 Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM

2/15 - thumb.gif Didn't spend a dime...wooo!!!! Almost bought more tracfone minutes. We do need them, but we can wait :)

2/16 - ...we'll see how I do! I already passed up the very tempting groupon of the day (75% off real wood furniture....)

#64 of 75 Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM

OK, I'm getting frustrated by the lack of no-spend days, so I'm changing my smilies to necessary and unnecessary. Necessary includes such things as gas, oil, bills, groceries, babysitter, etc.

Key:
orngbiggrin.gif Necessary
duh.gif Unnecessary

2-1 orngbiggrin.gif
2-2 duh.gif Coffee
2-3 orngbiggrin.gif
2-4 orngbiggrin.gif
2-5 orngbiggrin.gif
2-6 duh.gif Drinks
2-7 orngbiggrin.gif
2-8 orngbiggrin.gif
2-9 orngbiggrin.gif
2-10 orngbiggrin.gif
2-11 duh.gif lunch-out
2-12 duh.gif take-out
2-13 orngbiggrin.gif
2-14 orngbiggrin.gif
2-15 orngbiggrin.gif
2-16 orngbiggrin.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#65 of 75 Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

OK, I'm getting frustrated by the lack of no-spend days, so I'm changing my smilies to necessary and unnecessary. Necessary includes such things as gas, oil, bills, groceries, babysitter, etc.

This is how I track my "no spends"  I don't consider necessary bills to be "spending".  I also don't consider things that DH and I have sat down, discussed, and budgeted for to be "spending", like homeschool curriculum we've been saving for, or maintenance on our cars that comes out of our car maintenance sink fund.  It's too depressing when you look at your progress and see days that you needed gas and groceries as "spend" days b/c usually, they're necessities.

Key:

February Goals

no spend days  10/20

eating out  3/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  6/8

1.  thumb.gif

2.  irked.gif  DH bought dinner for himself.  There was really no other way around it, but I don't count it against our "eating out" goal b/c it was not the whole family.hang.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif hang.gif

5.  irked.gif  HUGE spend day!!  Had to take DS2 to the ER for what has been diagnosed a bacterial skin infection, bought lunch out at McD ($18), went to WM to get DS2 a toy for behaving so well in the ER and other things we needed ($32 later), ended up taking DD2 to our dr's after hours clinic when she showed signs of the same infection, bought dinner for our family AND my parents b/c they watched our kids all day so we didn't have to schlep everyone w/ us ($45), plus 2 antibiotic prescriptions ($12).  Ugh.

6.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

9.  irked.gif Took kids to Dr for follow-up for DS2.  Picked up our milk order on the way home (budgeted) and spent an extra $5 for a bottle of chocolate milk for the kiddos b/c they were so well behaved at the Dr's (not budgeted but very much appreciated).  hang.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

12.  irked.gif  Bought a gift for a last minute b-day party, went to Target to get pacifiers for DD2, ended up spending over $150 on an on-sale printer (ours old one wasn't compatible w/ Windows 7 so I haven't had a printer in over a year), underwear, and a handful of on-sale DVDs.  Probably could have gone without a few of the items we bought, but I'm not going to stress out over it, just get back on the wagon. 

14.  irked.gif  DH stopped for little candies for the kids and cards $22  hang.gif

15.  irked.gif had pizza delivered.  Lack of planning+ exhausted preggie mama+ cranky kid= $32 spent on pizza.  *SIGH*  we're not doing so hot this month greensad.gif

16.  thumb.gif  hang.gif  avoided going to the thrift shop today, although they're having a bag sale and my older 2 kiddos need shorts for summer and pants for next fall.  Maybe I'll head over there on Saturday when DH can watch the kids and I can shop w/out children pulling on me in every direction.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#66 of 75 Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Thought you got rid of me, didn'cha?  winky.gif  I'm actually doing quite well, despite my non-diligence.

2/18:  thumb.gif Planned lunch out $10.00, Kotex $8.00 (Gotta try those Mama Pads!)

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#67 of 75 Old 02-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Key:

February Goals

no spend days  11/20

eating out  4/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  7/8

1.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

6.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

16.  thumb.gif  hang.gif  avoided going to the thrift shop today, although they're having a bag sale and my older 2 kiddos need shorts for summer and pants for next fall.  Maybe I'll head over there on Saturday when DH can watch the kids and I can shop w/out children pulling on me in every direction.

17.  irked.gif  Had to take DS2 to the dr. again and paid OOP for the visit.  Stopped at Whole Foods on the way home, $28 later had probiotics for DS2 and snacks/ drinks.

18.  thumb.gif

19.  irked.gif  Stopped off at the thrift shop, nothing there that fit either of my kids that need clothes.  DH insisted on a car wash for the truck to wash off the winter "cr@p", $12.  State and Fed tax refunds hit our accounts, took the kids out for Mexican, not even sure how much that cost  *sigh*  hang.gif

#68 of 75 Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Progress:

Credit cards: $718/2311 paid

Groceries: $200/300 ($108 of this is milk irked.gif + $40 bread until we learn to make our own =$150ish other groceries)

Savings: $0/300

Hang-dry: 2/20 (not cloth dipes)

thumb.gif = No-spend day

smile.gif   = Budgeted spending

love.gif   = Under budget!

irked.gif   = Unbudgeted/Unnecessary spending

orngbiggrin.gif  = Hung laundry

thumb.gif

irked.gif DH spent some $ at the convenience store. Movies, and a magazine for each of us. Thoughtful, but he didn't realize I could easily go to the library and photocopy some knitting books rather than pay $$$ for a magazine. Really, this isn't UNbudgeted, as it comes out of his gas money for the week, but he'll probably need to replace that money now.

thumb.gif

smile.gifirked.gif Did groceries. Got 14 loaves of bread for the regular cost of 4! Really happy about that! Then I spent some on clearance baby stuff at Wal-Mart. Things I was going to buy anyway (bouncy chair, newborn mitts, etc) but we'll be returning some of it.

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

smile.gif Didn't need iron supplements, woohoo! Bought milk & some noodles. $12.

smile.gif I went shopping, final clearance, for some birthday gifts for the boys upcoming birthdays. (March, April, May - getting it done now since I'm due in April) spent $83, but I had returned stuff at Wal-Mart for $40, so only $43 out of pocket, and some great scores.

thumb.gif

10 thumb.giforngbiggrin.gif

11 irked.gif Bought some clothes for the new baby - $24 for 3 2-piece outfits, a dress, and a headband + shipping = $27 off the visa.

12 thumb.gif

13 smile.gifirked.gif Went to Zellers to use some gift cards for groceries & then to get our weeks worth of milk ($27) + some kids lunch stuff and DHs noodles ($30)

14 thumb.gif

15 smile.gif DH didn't put the deposit down yet.. I did, however, buy the baby's stash of diapers since it looks like the younger 2 won't be out of theirs by then.

16 irked.gif Bought myself a cute dress for getting married. It's just a city hall thing, but I still wanted to look nice and we have no maternity stores here. It was a buy one, get one free event so I got a pair of jeans too. Hopefully they'll both fit. DH spent $50 to reserve the date.

17 thumb.gif

18 smile.gifirked.gif paid for dumpster. paid in full for our wedding (was budgeting the 2nd half for next month but this works too)

19 thumb.gif

20 smile.gifirked.gif groceries. bought toys for the kids birthdays (budgeted, but returning them), and then went to get some carters stuff for baby #4. oops. :)

21 thumb.giforngbiggrin.gif did 6 loads of laundry today! holy cow. still lots to do...

22 smile.gif milk and other minor groceries

Meg
SAH, homeschooling mum to G (05/06), R (03/08), DK (04/09) + S (04/11)!!
Expecting #5, K, mid-November 2014! Team Green!
#69 of 75 Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Something about the end of the month - I seem to fall of the wagon in terms of posting. And I can't remember everyday going back. I know DH bought a new pair of sneakers and that we got coffee a couple of times and I think he might have bought something else, but I can't remember what...so maybe I'll start over this week and continue to keep track through next month?

2-22 orngbiggrin.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#70 of 75 Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm dreading this update. We seriously fell off the wagon this past weekend greensad.gif

Key:

February Goals

no spend days  14/20

eating out  5/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  8/8

1.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

6.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

17.  irked.gif  Had to take DS2 to the dr. again and paid OOP for the visit.  Stopped at Whole Foods on the way home, $28 later had probiotics for DS2 and snacks/ drinks.

18.  thumb.gif

19.  irked.gif  Stopped off at the thrift shop, nothing there that fit either of my kids that need clothes.  DH insisted on a car wash for the truck to wash off the winter "cr@p", $12.  State and Fed tax refunds hit our accounts, took the kids out for Mexican, not even sure how much that cost  *sigh*  hang.gif

20.  irked.gif  Went shopping at Target and Borders.  Got 2, 30pc sets of Corelle dining ware (something we've been looking for but wasn't budgeted this month) for less than $60, also got a few other things I can't remember.  The Borders Books by us is closing, got books for homeschooling, couple toys for the kids, and an IT book for DH, $140.  *more sighs*  Also ate at Five Guys for dinner.

21.  thumb.gif  FINALLY!!!  DH and I worked on building beds for our 2 girls.  Didn't get as far as we wanted, but made progress.

22.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

23.  thumb.gif  I'm not going to make my No-Spend goal and I went WAY over our eating out goal.

#71 of 75 Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Subbing to come back later and join... you're inspiring ladies!!!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#72 of 75 Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Sorry for not being here for a couple of weeks. Dh was unexpectedly laid off and we use the wireless internet (at campgrounds while traveling for his work) so I was without internet as soon as we went home. I haven't actually tracked my spending/no spending to be able to post here but I've done well since I was looking at having to live on what was in the account for an undetermined amount of time :lol . Luckily dh is back at work but I'm definitely sticking to the no spend and home cooking challenges and trying to get our budget fixed QUICKLY!  just in case this happens again and it could soon. I'll finish reading everything I missed later but I hope everyone is doing well this month.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#73 of 75 Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Key:

February Goals

no spend days  15/20

eating out  5/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  9/8

1.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

6.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

18.  thumb.gif

20.  irked.gif  Went shopping at Target and Borders.  Got 2, 30pc sets of Corelle dining ware (something we've been looking for but wasn't budgeted this month) for less than $60, also got a few other things I can't remember.  The Borders Books by us is closing, got books for homeschooling, couple toys for the kids, and an IT book for DH, $140.  *more sighs*  Also ate at Five Guys for dinner.

21.  thumb.gif  FINALLY!!!  DH and I worked on building beds for our 2 girls.  Didn't get as far as we wanted, but made progress.

22.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

23.  thumb.gif  I'm not going to make my No-Spend goal and I went WAY over our eating out goal.

24.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

#74 of 75 Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

2/24: mischievous.gif coffee out

2/25: thumb.gif no spending today!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#75 of 75 Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Key:

February Goals

no spend days  18/20

eating out  5/1

loads of laundry hung to dry  11/8

1.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gifhang.gif

6.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

10.  thumb.gif

11.  thumb.gif

18.  thumb.gif

22.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

24.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

25.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

26.  thumb.gif

27.  irked.gif  My dad went in the hospital Saturday night,  Spent today at the hospital, $8 for lunch.

28.  thumb.gif  hang.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page