February 2011 Home Cooking Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2/9  Breakfast: Pumpkin muffins and yogurt.

Lunch: Chinese buffet restaurant, my MIL is visiting, her treat.  Yummy!

Supper:  Whole wheat noodles with pesto sauce and sun dried tomatoes and steamed cauliflower. 

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#62 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 AM

I'm getting a kick out of meal planning and DH. He looks at the menu I posted on the fridge and asks me if I have whatever meat out and thawed for the day. Then, if he's delivering (pizza) at night, he swings by at dinnertime so that he can eat the meals I make. And he pretty much makes sure that I don't have leftovers lol.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#63 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Late in posting, but been eating at home!!

2/1 Ham sandwiches. It was a snow day so we ate all day and werent really hungry but had sliced ham in the freezer.
2/2 Baked potato night, nutrtional yeast and broccoli, salad
2/3 Rice and beans, salad, green beans
2/4 Veggie burgers and oven fries
2/5 Grilled cheese and tomato soup, chips
2/6 Tuna melt and leftover tomato soup and chips
2/7 Sweet potato, spinach and chick pea curry, rice
2/8 Leftovers from the last week
2/9 Falafel in pitas and cous cous
#64 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

2-9 b: cheerios and toast

l: leftovers

d: dh grilled the rest of the steak that he didn't use for the finger steaks and we had roasted potatoes and potato salad with it (weird combo I know but mil dropped off a ton of potato salad, so we're eating it with everything right now)

#65 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Been super busy this week!  I went through all my cooking magazines and ripped out all my fave recipes and made my own recipe binder, then made a meal plan for the whole week, including snacks.   I shopped the flyers and got Walmart to price match, spent $100 for a family of 5 with lots of food and much of it should do us for next week as well, I aim to spend about $40 for essentials next week, that's it!    Dh and I are officially low carb.  So this week so far:

Monday:

Breakfast- oatmeal for kids, protein shake for me and dh

Lunch- jam sandwiches on the go for the kids, meal replacement bar for me

Dinner- pork chop parmesan on mixed frozen veggies (with a couple potatoes thrown in for the kids) smothered in pasta sauce

Snacks- apples and strawberries, cookies, yogurt

Tuesday:

Breakfast- cream of wheat for kids, bacon and eggs for dh and me

Lunch- baked cheese, chicken and tomato stuffed ww pitas for kids, ham and cheese wrapped in lettuce for me

Dinner- grilled chicken and bruschetta ceasar salad

Snacks- banana split with yogurt and granola,  home canned pears

Wednesday:

Breakfast- baked egg casserole with tomatoes, spinach and cheese

Lunch- hot dog wraps with veggies and cheese, leftover pork chop parmesan for dh and me

Dinner- homemade cream of broccoli/cauliflower soup, with garlic bread for the kids

Snacks- toasted cinnamon pinwheels for the kids (homemade- de-crust and flatten bread, spread cream chs, sprinkle with sugar, roll, brush with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake till golden), veggies and dip

Tomorrow we start on the dozens of heart shaped sugar cookies for Valentine's gifts!  I'm going to have to tape my mouth shut to avoid breaking my low carb diet!

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#66 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Dad canceled dinner with us last night, because he needed to prepare for a class he is teaching. So, I pulled out some veggie lasagna from the freezer and made some meatballs/red sauce & green beans/onions for a last minute dinner.

Tonight changed to quiche with a side of honey roasted potatoes. Make these all the time lately, but the kids love them and I have tons of potatoes from my winter CSA.

Out of town for the next 4 nights visiting my brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

2/7 pumpkin pancakes, bacon

2/8 dinner at my dad's, I think

2/9 spaghetti with meatballs, green beans

2/10-2/13 out of town visiting family

2/14 sushi night

#67 of 134 Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Oooh, this sounds really tasty! Care to share the recipe?

Quote:

Breakfast- baked egg casserole with tomatoes, spinach and cheese

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#68 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

2-10 b: egg sandwich

l: not sure yet

d: leftovers hopefully

#69 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM

2/9  My MIL is visiting and she made latkes and kielbasa with apple sauce for supper, her treat for DH.

Lunch was home made chicken noodle soup with dumplings.  Breakfast was oatmeal with dried apples and brown sugar and bacon (all courtesy of MIL).  My MIL is awesomejoy.gif

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#70 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

2-1 Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice
2-2 Snow Day Dinner at Mom's (whatever we could find)
2-3 Fish 'n' Chips (made with haddock and Maine potatoes) - this was a HUGE hit with the kids
2-4 Spaghetti with Meatballs (homemade sauce and meatballs of course)
2-5 Leftover Spaghetti with Meatballs
2-6 Boneless Buffalo Wings and Beer for the game smile.gif
2-7 Weeknight Chili
2-8 Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
2-9 Spinach Manicotti was grossedout.gif

#71 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM

2/10  Breakfast: yogurt and fruit with toast and coffee (for me).

Lunch: hot dogs/hamburgers and French fries at the skating rink for home school skate.

Supper: Cheese ravioli with pest sauce and a salad.

#72 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM

2-1 Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice smile.gif
2-2 Snow Day Dinner at Mom's redface.gif
2-3 Fish 'n' Chips yummy.gif
2-4 Spaghetti with Meatballs smile.gif
2-6 Boneless Buffalo Wings and Beer for the game redface.gif
2-7 Weeknight Chili yummy.gif
2-8 Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts smile.gif
2-9 Spinach Manicotti grossedout.gif
2-10 Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes yummy.gif

#73 of 134 Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM

2/1 Ham sandwiches. It was a snow day so we ate all day and werent really hungry but had sliced ham in the freezer.
2/2 Baked potato night, nutrtional yeast and broccoli, salad
2/3 Rice and beans, salad, green beans
2/4 Veggie burgers and oven fries
2/5 Grilled cheese and tomato soup, chips
2/6 Tuna melt and leftover tomato soup and chips
2/7 Sweet potato, spinach and chick pea curry, rice
2/8 Leftovers from the last week
2/9 Falafel in pitas and cous cous
2/10 WE WENT OUT I had a long day, don't feel good and we had to go sign some forms so we were out anyway, blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses
#74 of 134 Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

2-11 b: just coffee so far

l: leftovers probably

d: pizza night

#75 of 134 Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 AM

Scrolling through everyones meal plans, this is great. I am trying to set this up at home right now.  I enjoy the ideas, and seeing the different ways the meals are listed with individuals details etc.

Hopefully soon I will organize a list...and stick to it. supermod.gif

Jennie aka Tidbitz

Blogging over here: http://tidbitzearthlydelights.blogspot.com

namaste.gif

#76 of 134 Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Last nnight I made mashed potatoes (from scratch! Oh they were yummy...my in-laws got me a mixer for Christmas so now I can make real mashed potatoes orngbiggrin.gif lol!), green beans (tried something new...I saw a recipe for them with apple cider vinegar so I put some of that and a little salt in the water. Didn't have much flavor though :P) and ham.

Tonight we're having friends over and I'm making veggie pizzas.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#77 of 134 Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

I'm getting a kick out of meal planning and DH. He looks at the menu I posted on the fridge and asks me if I have whatever meat out and thawed for the day. Then, if he's delivering (pizza) at night, he swings by at dinnertime so that he can eat the meals I make. And he pretty much makes sure that I don't have leftovers lol.gif

That is so great! DH is having a hard time with being frugal, but he has definitely kept me on track a few times when I've started talking about him picking something up for dinner on the way home. And he's been super good about bringing his lunch and eating his Smart Ones meals or the PB&J makings he keeps at work when we haven't had leftovers for him to take.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#78 of 134 Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

2-12 b: McDonalds - again I know, but one of my coworkers bought

l: no clue yet, dh will have to feed teh kids early since ds1 has a game at noon

d: chicken croquettes, roasted potatoes and whatever other veggie I can find

#79 of 134 Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM

2/1: Meatloaf (half ground beef, half turkey bought on killer sale for almost nothing, woohoo!), green salads with feta for all

2/2: Buffalo chicken nuggets and more green salad for all

2/3: Whole roasted chicken with broccoli, but ate lunch out with a friend--only $9 for a great meal with my BFF, but still...

2/4: Ordered dinner in and spent way too much. The girls ended up not going to my parents' after all and DH and I had to cancel our date because DD8 got sick at the last minute, so to cheer everyone up, we got sushi from a new local place. Our fingers are crossed for next weekend though!

2/5: White chicken chili (from the leftover chicken, plus stock), more green salad

2/6: Both girls are sick and didn't want dinner, so DH and I just picked at what was around the house: cheese and apples for me, romaine salad with tuna for him.

2/7: Awesome, incredible chicken noodle soup--the best I've ever made. I think I finally got the broth right, and it was nice and concentrated. Woohoo!

2/8: Homemade nachos for dinner (they were easy and I knew everyone would eat them!)

2/9: Still sick and exhausted and working, so we got Sonic on the way home from veggie box run. Didn't even use a coupon *sigh*

2/10: DH made sancocho (super-hearty stew with short ribs, chicken, ham, chorizo, yucca, batata, corn, grated plantains) for everyone because I was too tired to cook again

2/11: Ham steak and peas for all

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#80 of 134 Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Tonight I'm making spaghetti and tomorrow we're going over to my in-laws' house for dinner.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#81 of 134 Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM

Well, I've been terrible about posting here, but we have actually been doing great eating at home! I don't remember everything we've had, so I'll fill in what I can and try to be better about keeping track!

2/1Turkey Burgers (on the BBQ, yum!) with sweet potato fries

2/2 Tacos

2/3 Take Out

2/4 "Living Room Picnic" Night- Hot dogs with sweet potato fries, on a blanket in the living room :)

2/5-10 ??Don't remember... I know we ate out once

2/11Pizza Party (Homemade pizza while watching movie)

2/12 Chili and Cornbread

2/13 Family BBQ: Steaks, potatoes and garlic bread

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#82 of 134 Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

2-13 b: eggs and toast

l: we all just kind of snacked

d: souvlaki, fried rice

2-14 b: I'm having leftover biscuits and gravy

l: leftovers

d: pasta bake, no knead (that I found a recipe for somewhere on MDC), salad

The chicken croquettes I attempted Saturday did not work so I'm turning those into chicken pot pie this week.  The souvlaki turned out amazing though!  I was about to give up trying new recipes since they haven't turned out well at all lately, so I was pretty happy with the way it worked. 

#83 of 134 Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM

2/1: Meatloaf (half ground beef, half turkey bought on killer sale for almost nothing, woohoo!), green salads with feta for all

2/2: Buffalo chicken nuggets and more green salad for all

2/3: Whole roasted chicken with broccoli, but ate lunch out with a friend--only $9 for a great meal with my BFF, but still...

2/4: Ordered dinner in and spent way too much. The girls ended up not going to my parents' after all and DH and I had to cancel our date because DD8 got sick at the last minute, so to cheer everyone up, we got sushi from a new local place. Our fingers are crossed for next weekend though!

2/5: White chicken chili (from the leftover chicken, plus stock), more green salad

2/6: Both girls are sick and didn't want dinner, so DH and I just picked at what was around the house: cheese and apples for me, romaine salad with tuna for him.

2/7: Awesome, incredible chicken noodle soup--the best I've ever made. I think I finally got the broth right, and it was nice and concentrated. Woohoo!

2/8: Homemade nachos for dinner (they were easy and I knew everyone would eat them!)

2/9: Still sick and exhausted and working, so we got Sonic on the way home from veggie box run. Didn't even use a coupon *sigh*

2/10: DH made sancocho (super-hearty stew with short ribs, chicken, ham, chorizo, yucca, batata, corn, grated plantains) for everyone because I was too tired to cook again

2/11: Ham steak and peas for all

2/12: Leftover sancocho for dinner

2/13: Leftover sancocho for lunch, my parents took us all out for dinner

#84 of 134 Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM

My son has requested his favorite: Spinach-Broccoli Ricotta Pie for dinner tonight, so I will make it for him. :) I am trying to stop buying snack food for him also, so yesterday we made another batch of olive oil crackers and today we made chocolate-avocado-banana bread. Tasty and full of healthy fats for him. :)

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#85 of 134 Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM

2/14 DH started supper before he left for work this am, he's working a double shift.  Chicken with hot sauce, maple syrup, and soy sauce marinade.  I made a rice dish to go with it.  The little kiddos and I made heart shaped cookies for dessert.  Lunch was grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Breakfast was scrambled eggs, toast, and melon.

#86 of 134 Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

2-15 b: egg sandwich

l: leftover pasta and bread

d: french toast and fruit

#87 of 134 Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM

2/1Turkey Burgers (on the BBQ, yum!) with sweet potato fries

2/2 Tacos

2/3 Take Out

2/4 "Living Room Picnic" Night- Hot dogs with sweet potato fries, on a blanket in the living room :)

2/5-10 ??Don't remember... I know we ate out once

2/11Pizza Party (Homemade pizza while watching movie)

2/12 Chili and Cornbread

2/13 Family BBQ: Steaks, potatoes and garlic bread

2/14 Tacos

2/15 We'll be having lunch out today w/MIL (planned) and dinner will be...not sure yet...

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#88 of 134 Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM

2-1 Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice smile.gif
2-2 Snow Day Dinner at Mom's redface.gif
2-3 Fish 'n' Chips yummy.gif
2-4 Spaghetti with Meatballs smile.gif
2-6 Boneless Buffalo Wings and Beer for the game redface.gif
2-7 Weeknight Chili yummy.gif
2-8 Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts smile.gif
2-9 Spinach Manicotti grossedout.gif
2-10 Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes yummy.gif
2-11 Ramen Noodles irked.gif (also took the kids out to lunch as a treat)
2-12 Pizza (take out) irked.gif (I did have homemade cucumber/celery/apple/spinach juice, celery w/pb, and an apple during the day)
2-13 Pizza (from DH work) irked.gif (eggs for b and spaghetti for l)
2-14 Haddock and Vegetables yummy.gif

I don't know what happened this weekend. Maybe it was due to af.gif I work all weekend, so the kids had much better foods than myself redface.gif

#89 of 134 Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM

We did fairly well. We did order out and eat out, but otherwise, we ate at home.

New Menu

2/16 Luncheon meat

D- veggie dinner?

2/17- egss/toast

D- pork chops, rice, veg in crock pot

2/18- luncheon meat or pbj

D- breakfast for dinner

2/19- My birthday no cooking for me

frozen pizza for the kids

2/20-?

D- Chicken casserole

2/21 yogurt

D chilli

2/22- pbj?

D- Salad, baked tater (maybe some bacon?)

2/23 egg salad

D- Soup turkey veg

2/24 pbj

D left overs

2/25 yogurt

D soup from freezer

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#90 of 134 Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM

2/15  Breakfast granola, yogurt and bananas for the big kiddos and I, DH and the little kiddos ate Dunkin donuts drive through on their way to a HS field trip.

Lunch  PB and J, juice and fruit for the little kiddos and DH.  The big kiddos and I went out for Japanese food.  The baby had breast milk.

Supper black beans and rice with cucumber salad.  The little kiddos refused to eat it, so they had cereal and milk (what you eat at our house if you don't want what's supper).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page