Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2-1 b: cheerios, toast, coffee

l:  wrap

d:  breakfast for the boys; stir fry with leftover steak for dh and I

I forgot that I promised the boys I'd take them to McDonald's next week.  Our little town is finally getting one and its more excitement than we've had in a long time! 

Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I wanna join! I'm really working to reduce our budget and joined the no-spend challenge to work on this month. A lot of our budget is going to take a process to change though but I can save on groceries now. I'm aiming to not eat out at all this month so I really need the encouragement here.

So here goes: 02/01 fried chicken, rice and gravy, corn

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm new to this discussion, but I cook our meals from scratch nearly everyday. It will be nice for me to share with others who will appreciate. So, here's today:

2/1 - b: leftover chicken, spinach, mushrooms and onions in crepes w/ hollandaise sauce; fruit; tea/coffee

l: "make your own" salads (mixed greens, and everyone decides what they want to add), cheese & onion straws, milk/water

d: zucchini lasagne (just my reg. lasagne, but using sliced zucchini instead of noodles), salad, wine/juice/water

Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM

2/1 L- Mac and cheese

d- roasted chicken and veggies

2/2 L PBJ

D- Chicken noodles soup

2/3 L- leftovers

D-

2/4 Hard boiled eggs, or egg salad

D Swiss steak with rice salad

2/5 L Yogurt

D Stir Fry

2/6

D- Millet?

2/7 L leftovers

D  Soup or casserole?

2/8 tomato soup crackers

D meatloaf, taters

2/9 PBJ

D chicken chimichangas

2/10

D-Breakfast for dinner

2/11 Salad

D Hungarian goulash?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM

would love to join!  i too already cook all our meals from scratch....but it's such great inspiration to see what others eat.  :)

here's this week's menu.......barring any power outages from the big blizzard we're about to be in.

2-1

brunch:  egg in a hole and bacon (school is closed for my kids so they slept in)

late lunch/snack:  hmmm.....not sure yet as we just finished up brunch.

dinner:  from scratch shells & sharp cheddar cheese and green salads

2-2

breakfast:  from scratch buttermilk waffles, bacon & fruit (strawberries & bananas)

lunch:  tomato soup & grilled cheese

dinner:  steak au poivre, oven fries and green salads

2-3

breakfast:  from scratch cinnamon rolls & fruit

lunch:  who knows

dinner:  lemon chicken, mashed potatoes and green salads

i grocery shop on monday and friday.  monday's trip is for monday-thursday and friday's trip is for the weekend, or friday-sunday.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 AM

I need to start back at meal planning, my creative juices have been slacking lately!  I spend much less at the grocery store when I menu plan and can make a better grocery list.  Eating out will be a thing of the past for a while, we have been spoiled for the last couple years eating out at least once a month, often twice at various restaurants for FREE as my dh owned his own business and did contra deals with some of the restaurants in town- he designed a website for them plus hosting and got a certain amount of $$$ to spend at their place.  But times are tough, he's selling the business and going in a very different direction, so no more free food for us!!  Plus, my toddler has been diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy and it has left me terrified of feeding him anything I can't read the ingredients of myself. Most of our meals are home cooked anyhow.  I make homemade pizza every friday night- whole wheat crust, sometimes spelt, etc and loaded with veggies so it's guilt free and so yummy!  We raise our own chickens and turkeys and have a freezer FULL of birds right now, plus we have laying hens.  Milk is what is driving up my grocery bill!!  My oldest ds and dh drink cow's milk, my youngest ds is allergic to dairy, soy and nuts so he's on rice milk, dd hates all but almond milk, and I myself prefer soy but will settle for whatever we have most of in the fridge at the time!  My oldest son drinks milk like crazy, we are going through 4L every 2 days!!  I'm having to be a meanie and monitor his milk intake, he is incredibly fit and active though so... I can fruits, pickles, juice and jam every harvest.  I'm just at a loss for meal planning... We are not vegetarian, but I usually have 1 or 2 meatless dinners a week.  I'm trying to save up $ to buy another side of beef from our neighbour who raises cattle, not to sound ungrateful, but I'm getting kinda sick of poultry!!  We are not very picky eaters around here, but the meals have to be inexpensive and somewhat easy, with ingredients that can be found on the local discount grocer's shelves.  My kids are homeschooled and we live in the country so shopping is a big production with kids in tow, cannot flit from one store to another, kwim!?  My food budget is $100 a week.  It's tight, especially since we entertain a lot through our church. I'd really like to find some local milk and make my own butter....  Can't wait till spring, we have a massive garden and are hoping we'll have enough to sell some of our fresh produce either at the local market or at the road for some extra $.  I bake a lot of my own bread and rolls.  I aim to make a hot breakfast 5 times a week- usually eggs, muffins, waffles, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.  I can no longer shop at the local bulk food store because of the risk of peanut contamination.  Sucks!  Oh, and my crockpot is a beloved friend! 

Bring on the meal ideas and menu plans please!!  Please share, I really need some ideas! I am trying to lose 20 lbs right now, so it is making it SO hard, the only way I lose weight is low carb (I have PCOS and yo yo 10-20 lbs a couple times a year! grrr) , but I cannot survive on it long term and if I make carbs for my family, which they need, I end up eating them myself.  Really frustrated lately, cause everything cheap is loaded with carbs- pasta, beans, etc. 

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Joining!  I once joined many moons ago when my DP was laid off, then he got a job making much better money so I've been sort of frivolous recently!  But now I want to be back on the wagon because we've been eating out just too much and it's not healthy either. 

My only prob is that DP is not here during the week so it is frustrating to not only cook dinner alone, but not have anyone to eat it much as my 5 yo is kind of picky (working on that!) and my 2yo just doesn't eat much.  I was used to cooking a big meal every night.  Now I think I'll still cook and then freeze portions for my DP to take to his "home away from home".  He does get per diem for food, but of course it's not healthy to be eating out every day and he could save that money if I provide meals for him.

1/31  Hot dogs/peas for kids, leftovers for me.

2/1  chili in the crockpot

2/2

2/3

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymamatoo View Post

I'm new to this discussion, but I cook our meals from scratch nearly everyday. It will be nice for me to share with others who will appreciate. So, here's today:

2/1 - b: leftover chicken, spinach, mushrooms and onions in crepes w/ hollandaise sauce; fruit; tea/coffee

l: "make your own" salads (mixed greens, and everyone decides what they want to add), cheese & onion straws, milk/water

d: zucchini lasagne (just my reg. lasagne, but using sliced zucchini instead of noodles), salad, wine/juice/water

Can you share the recipes for this please? I have to admit I'm not much of a veggie person and I've been trying to find yummy recipes to put more veggies in our diet.

OMG! I did it! Tonight's dinner was fried chicken, homemade creamed corn, rice and gravy. I am such a bad southern girl I've never made fried chicken myself before because it seemed so scary trying to get it to come out right and still have the chicken cooked all the way. It was actually easy and it's soooo good. I can hardly stay out of it. Now I'm finally a REAL southern girl lol.gif

Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM

2-1 B: Coffee and a Sesame Bagel with Cream Cheese
L: Chicken, Mozzarella Cheese, and Lettuce on a Bulkie Roll
D: Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Thanks for keeping this going, Alyantavid!

2/1: Mushroom-pepperjack black bean burgers

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

Let's keep going!

Yay! Thanks for starting up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJewelsRae View Post

I need to start back at meal planning, my creative juices have been slacking lately! ...

Bring on the meal ideas and menu plans please!!  Please share, I really need some ideas! I am trying to lose 20 lbs right now, so it is making it SO hard, the only way I lose weight is low carb (I have PCOS and yo yo 10-20 lbs a couple times a year! grrr) , but I cannot survive on it long term and if I make carbs for my family, which they need, I end up eating them myself.  Really frustrated lately, cause everything cheap is loaded with carbs- pasta, beans, etc. 

Oh boy, do I hear you on both fronts! I cooked at home with the exception of only once or twice last month, and the idea was to use the same meal plan, with all of its lovely recipes, for each subsequent month. Ha! I don't even want to look at any of those recipes now! So I feel like I'm starting at square one *sigh*

And I have more than 20 to lose, and I feel SO much better when I'm eating almost no carbs...but like you, if I'm feeding them to the family, it's impossible for me to stay out of them whistling.gif I'm struggling and have put back on the few pounds that I'd lost eyesroll.gif Plus, it's very hard to keep the grocery budget down when you're trying to feed everyone low carb, and down it must go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

I wanna join! I'm really working to reduce our budget and joined the no-spend challenge to work on this month. A lot of our budget is going to take a process to change though but I can save on groceries now. I'm aiming to not eat out at all this month so I really need the encouragement here.

So here goes: 02/01 fried chicken, rice and gravy, corn

The no-spend thread is my next stop after this one winky.gif

Well, we're off to a good start this month at least.

2/1: Meatloaf (half ground beef, half turkey bought on killer sale for almost nothing, woohoo!), green salads with feta for all

Planned:

2/2: Those dratted buffalo chicken nuggets that I keep planning and never making lol.gif I actually thawed the chicken, so they will actually show up tomorrow night for sure.

2/3: Whole roasted chicken with blue and sweet potato fries and salad

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Can I join in? Last year (like the beginning of last year) I did the Home Cooking Challenge, and it really helped me get on track. Then DS started preschool...then I went back to school...I just got busy and we slowly started eating out more and more...well you know how it goes. Anyway, now DH is starting a new job (yay!! a way better job) with longer hours, so I know it will be super tempting to just eat out, and I want to avoid that. I'm hoping that holding myself accountable here, having to actually come and confess to other people, will help me be good!

We never eat breakfast out except on super duper extra special occasions (like a birthday brunch or something) so I'll probably just track lunch and dinner here. Looking forward to getting more yummy ideas from this thread, too!

2/1 L: Nachos from leftover meat and beans

D: Turkey Burgers (on the BBQ, yum!) with sweet potato fries

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Breakfast was cereal and fruit for the younger kiddos and I.  The older two made themselves toast and ate the last of the cantelope.

Lunch was home made split pea soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Supper was home made chicken pot pie made from yesterday's leftover roast chicken and mashed potatoes and frozen peas and carrots.

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 PM

MJ - we never eat breakfast out because I figure at that cost, I could feed the family breakfast for 2 weeks. wink1.gif

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

We do eat breakfast out once a month or so.  But dh works at a restaurant in the winter so it's pretty discounted and I'm much too lazy to make myself a Denver omelette and hashbrowns. :)

2-2 b: cheerios, toast

l: leftover stir fry

d: hamburger patties, veggies

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Yay a new month!

1st - Grilled tilapia, steamed broccoli and wild rice

2nd - Crispy Hoisin chicken with bean sprout, radish and watercress salad

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Are there any other veg*ns (i.e. vegetarians/vegans) on board this month?

Thanks for keeping this going, Alyantavid!

2/1: Mushroom-pepperjack black bean burgers

2/2: Lentil and red bell pepper pot pie

2/3: Leftovers

2/4: Pizza (not delivered, thank you! winky.gif)

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Yay for great ideas

breakfast fried eggs and english muffins

lunch peanut butter yoghurt

dinner will be baked potato bar

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Well this thread saved me today. I had to run errands all day and didn't cook dinner. I thought about picking up something but I didn't want to have to put a bad mark here orngtongue.gif so... the kids ate spaghetti o's I had in the cabinet, I ate a leftover piece of chicken and am making some noodles. Tomorrow is my birthday and dh is wanting to take us out to eat for it so we'll probably be eating out tomorrow night. I wanted to aim for no eating out this month but I didn't think about my birthday and I guess that's allowed. I do have to go to the store for a few things in the next couple of days so I really need to plan some meals for next week first.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 PM

2/1 L: Nachos from leftover meat and beans

D: Turkey Burgers (on the BBQ, yum!) with sweet potato fries

2/2 L: Leftover Turkey burgers

D: Tacos

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM

2/2  leftover chili and a frozen organic impulse buy pizza cause he didn't like the chili last night irked.gif plus carrots

2/3  

PS  How the heck do I get my text out of the quote box?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 AM

Feb 2nd:

Breakfast- sausage and eggs

Lunch- pasta

Dinner- roast beef,mixed veggies, rice

Feb 3rd:

Breakfast- oatmeal

Lunch- scrambled eggs

Dinner- something with ground beef...I'm thinking either tacos or nacho salad

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 AM

2-1 Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice
2-2 Snow Day Dinner at Mom's (nevermind what we ate orngtongue.gif)

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

2-3 b: oatmeal, toast

l: leftover stir fry

d: baked trout, rice, a veggie

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM

1: Chicken/rice/white bean/kale/carrot/rosemary soup (SO GOOD!)
2: Leftover soup with quesadillas
3: Beans, rice, cheese, veggies, salsa bowls
4: White bean & chicken enchiladas
5: Chicken pot pie

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM

2/1: Meatloaf (half ground beef, half turkey bought on killer sale for almost nothing, woohoo!), green salads with feta for all

2/2: Buffalo chicken nuggets and more green salad for all

2/3: Whole roasted chicken with broccoli, but ate lunch out with a friend--only $9 for a great meal with my BFF, but still...

Planned:

2/4: White chicken chili (from the leftover chicken, plus stock), more green salad

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM

2-1 Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry on Brown Rice
2-2 Snow Day Dinner at Mom's (nevermind what we ate orngtongue.gif)
2-3 Fish 'n' Chips (made with haddock and Maine potatoes) - this was a HUGE hit with the kids

Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

2-4 b: oatmeal, toast

l:  leftovers probably

d: pizza for the kids, leftovers for dh and I'm going out

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM

2/2  leftover chili and a frozen organic impulse buy pizza cause he didn't like the chili last night irked.gif plus carrots

2/3  dinner at mom's

2/4

2/5  dinner at DP's work party

2/6  superbowl party at inlaws

2/7

2/8

2/9

DS 7 ~ DS 3

User Tag List