Ex isn't paying DS medical bills... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS (2.5) was on state insurance until a year ago and then his father finally put him on his insurance. He has asthma so every few months we have a trip to the ER, this past fall actually having 3 and a hospital stay.

Ex has used my parents address (where i now reside) for the past two years for work and has never got around to changing it. I recieve all the medical bills here, some that are incorrectly bundled and need to be fixed by insurance but he never calls either the insurance company nor pays them. I have called the hospital a few times to get extentions for him and still nothing has been done. He is now in collections and does not care at all.

I worry about how this may affect DS name and if we end up going to the hospital again if there will be problems. I told him last night that if he won't pay these bills i feel more comfortable DS being on state insurance. I believe that he does not want me to switch because he will have to pay more child support. He told me that he WILL NOT take him off insurance and if i try to go ahead to get DS on state insurance i will be commiting fraud.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM

It won't affect your son's name but it will affect you since you are also liable for paying your son's medical care, no matter what your court agreement says, its a civil agreement and the rest of the system doesn't recognize it as legally binding. It happened to me, once the collection agents figured out that ex wasn't going to pay, they came after me, sued me and I ended up being garnished and having a lien put on my home

As far as I know there is nothing fraudulent about having private and public health insurance. You can have both medicaid and private insurance at least.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#3 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post

It won't affect your son's name but it will affect you since you are also liable for paying your son's medical care, no matter what your court agreement says, its a civil agreement and the rest of the system doesn't recognize it as legally binding. It happened to me, once the collection agents figured out that ex wasn't going to pay, they came after me, sued me and I ended up being garnished and having a lien put on my home

As far as I know there is nothing fraudulent about having private and public health insurance. You can have both medicaid and private insurance at least.

Actually medical providers can stop seeing her son. Going to the ER in a true emergency is different. In most states, the ER staff is bound by law to treat the patient, but non-emergencies can be refused. Individual providers also can choose not to see her son because of previous, unpaid bills.

At our children's offices, the paperwork always says that regardless of court orders, the parent bringing the child is the responsible party. The dad, in your case, would be the "insured party" only, but you would be the one responsible for the bills.

The problem with having both public & private insurance is that public insurance has income limits on it, and in most cases, it's necessary that no other insurance is available to the child.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM

This is all kinds of wrong.... how dare he do this to his son!

You need legal help, something has to be able to be done about this. Your son can't go without care because one parent is set in screwing you over with bills as your forced to do the right thing. Maybe make an appointment to see someone about getting back on the old insurance, maybe they have experience with this!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#5 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM

i would definitely go back to state insurance your ex is lying about it being a fraud i would go in and talk to a case worker about it. i think he just doesn't want to pay more child support so he is trying to scare you. 

#6 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM

You should check with your state.  In my state a child can be on a parent's insurance and state insurance also if they qualify.  The parent's insurance is then the primary and the state insurance is secondary and the state pays the costs not covered by the primary insurance.  I have low income friends who have this arrangement so that the state covers the co-pays and other items.  Also, the secondary insurance will make sure that the primary is paying what they need to pay, resolving the issue about your ex not calling the company.  

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#7 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS is on private and medicaid currently. As am I (I'm pregnant.) The private takes care of it's portion and Medicaid seems to be taking care of the rest.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#8 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What does your support agreement say about liability for medical bills? There should be a section in the agreement that outlines how much each parent has to pay. If he's not paying his portion it can be attached to his support and garnished out of his check, although you would have to pay it first.

DD 2/08
#9 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 PM

I think you'll have to take your ex to court over this lest it become your legal issue if he continues nonpayment :(

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page