How to sell cars and other things - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my dh just found out we're moving to Japan this summer. I'm very excited and I'm praying the orders don't fall through. I'd love to go! But, we have a lot of things here we need to get rid of (obviously I will wait until much closer to time for us to leave, as anything can happen between then and now and orders can easily be changed).

I owe about 13k on my suv. In a couple months, if the move is still on, it'll be down to about 12k when I go to sell it. Dh's car is paid off. I'm hoping to sell his car for no less than 4k, and would love to make 6k off it but would be very pleased with getting 5k. The goal is to get out from my large car payment and have enough money from the sale of his car to buy another used car when we get there. We could take our cars with us, but people don't normally do that and I'd much rather get one car over there for now and once we're settled get a second one. So, what's the best way to sell a car? I think maybe early May I'll try to sell mine, that way I have a couple months before the move to get it sold. But... what do I do? Obviously there's the newspapers, craigslist and things like that, but what else? I think I should get it detailed, but are there any tips for selling a car?

Also, I have a ton of household items we won't be able to take with us. Some I'll store here while we're gone, but most of them I'd like to sell. I don't think I've ever sold anything on craigslist before. Last time I sold things we were in another state and I used another local online sales place. So how to successfully sell things on craigslist, I guess.

And my last question is the most nerve wracking. We will be renting out our home. We have budgeted about 3k for home repairs and new carpet before we can rent it out, and will be using a property management company to handle things for us once it's in rentable condition. I'm just wondering what sorts of things you recommend doing to houses to make them more appealing to prospective renters. I know I'll need to repaint most of the rooms and I will be doing that in a beigey off white color. What else?

Oh, and I have to figure out how to get rid of weeds in my back yard and repair all the patchy and dead areas (there are a lot!), if anyone has advice on that, I'd appreciate it! I'd rather not have to lay sod as that would be very expensive.

Thanks for reading this very long post. I appreciate any advice.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM

We always have garage sales. I sold my old car that way. Drove it on to the front yard, put a sign on it, and it sold the first day, I believe.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 AM

I've had luck selling a car through the trading post newspaper in Australia.

Off topic, but will you actually need a car there? Is it the norm where you'll be living? From what I understand from a friend who lives there, the fridges (for example) are very tiny - often bar fridge sized so you have to shop much more frequently, which means you can do it on foot.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if we'll "need" a car, but it's a good idea for us to have one. He'll need to get large amounts of his military gear to work from time to time for inspections and training and such, and will really need a car for that. Plus, we'll want to drive around and see the area, and while we plan to live on base, we may very well change our mind and live off base, so he would need a car to drive to work for sure.

On another note, has anyone sold a car to carmax before? I know I would get more doing it myself (and I intend to try) but if it gets time to leave and I haven't sold it yet I'm thinking of using carmax.

Any advice about renting out a home, PCS-ing to another country or just general advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if we'll "need" a car, but it's a good idea for us to have one. He'll need to get large amounts of his military gear to work from time to time for inspections and training and such, and will really need a car for that. Plus, we'll want to drive around and see the area, and while we plan to live on base, we may very well change our mind and live off base, so he would need a car to drive to work for sure.

On another note, has anyone sold a car to carmax before? I know I would get more doing it myself (and I intend to try) but if it gets time to leave and I haven't sold it yet I'm thinking of using carmax.

Any advice about renting out a home, PCS-ing to another country or just general advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

There is a Military Moms thread on the tribes board. I'd post there to get more specific advice on PCSing and hopefully on Japan in particular. Also, if you have orders you should have a sponsor soon--good ones are fountains of valuable informationsmile.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll go check out the tribe now!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM

PCS-ing overseas - Call USAA as you can get your CC % minimized yearly for being stationed overseas.   Get a xe.com account that you will use to transfer $ to your Japanese Bank account to use locally - or else you end up spending 2-3% extra using American cards on every purchase, ATM, etc.   We did Carmax once with a last-minute PCS, you can get better $ on Craigslist.  Have your car detailed right before showing - it made us $1K more in selling cost vs. leaving it clean but not sparkling.  Have a printout ready from your maintenence showing your oil changes, etc.  Renting your house - use a property manager while you are gone and advertise on militarybyowner.com You are right not to take your cars - American cars are too big there anyway, we found buying a used car overseas from other Americans easy, or dealership certified used cars work well for us too. 

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.

User Tag List