Thrift Store Scores! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I searched for a thread to add this to before creating a new one and it looks like the last was almost 2 years ago!  I'm sure there's somethign wrong with my searching skills.  But, in any event, I finally feel like I don't have cause to be green with envy when reading those threads.  On Saturday evening I swung by my local Goodwill "just to see" and came home with a brand new Circo (Target) sweater for my daughter.  Perfect Easter sweater.  It's white with pearlized buttons and sequins.  She loves it.  $2.99.  All children's (heck, almost all the clothing, is $2.99) unless it's a brand name in good condition or cashmere.

That brings me to the real score:  Hanna Andersson corduroy jacket with faux sherpa lining, zipper plus toggle closures.  Fantabulous condition.  Perfect for my little guy for next winter.  $4.75 with my Goodwill discount!  Tagged at $4.99.  Love it!!!  Took it home, washed it, threw it in the bin for next winter.  Looked it up online. Retails for $79.50.  Woo hoo!!!!!

Please share yours!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#2 of 79 Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nice score!

Tomorrow is my thrift day.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 79 Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM

We picked up this play kitchen a while back for $20.  It was just the kitchenette part, not the fridge.  The doors are missing and it's a bit scuffed, but the kids love it, none the less.  one of these day I'll get around to making a curtain front for it.

I found this Thomas tent for DS for $4.00 a few weeks ago.  It's in perfect condition except it was missing the removable smokestack. We also got him some shorts for $2

I got two shirts for me about $10.00 this weekend.  They look good as new, I can't imagine that they've ever been worn.

I got a pair brand new old navy sandals that I'm hoping DD can wear this summer for $2.

I make it a point to go every few weeks, but it's very rare that something is a steal.  I truly feel that the "thrift" stores around here are overpriced.

#4 of 79 Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have gotten some amazing deals lately (like the last 5 months):

two beautiful Talbots Kids rain coats- $4 each... I'm sure they were 40-50 new.

brand-new looking Bear Claw boots for me- $5.50

Fisher Price robot for my kids- new is about $80.... $4 for me!

gigantic bag of My Little Ponies ($3- would have been about $90 in a store) and a My Little Pony castle ($9- is on Ebay for $175??!!)

Two pairs of work pants for me (I'm a weird size- like a 16 but very petite)- these look brand new and were my size! ($2 each)

Stride Rite soft shoes for my 6month old ($0.95... look like about $40 online)

and my best find ever... a "learning tower" kitchen stool for $9.95... they cost $199 but I don't think anyone at the store knew what it was!

#5 of 79 Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

I found some Doc Martens mary jane-style shoes recently for $5. I went online to look for them and couldn't find the exact pair but a very similar pair was about $85! Woot!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#6 of 79 Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmir View Post

I have gotten some amazing deals lately (like the last 5 months):

two beautiful Talbots Kids rain coats- $4 each... I'm sure they were 40-50 new.

brand-new looking Bear Claw boots for me- $5.50

Fisher Price robot for my kids- new is about $80.... $4 for me!

gigantic bag of My Little Ponies ($3- would have been about $90 in a store) and a My Little Pony castle ($9- is on Ebay for $175??!!)

Two pairs of work pants for me (I'm a weird size- like a 16 but very petite)- these look brand new and were my size! ($2 each)

Stride Rite soft shoes for my 6month old ($0.95... look like about $40 online)

and my best find ever... a "learning tower" kitchen stool for $9.95... they cost $199 but I don't think anyone at the store knew what it was!

ugh! I would LOVE to find a learning tower!! AWESOME score!!

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#7 of 79 Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Absolutely agree on the Learning Tower score!!!  Would love to come across one of those!

#8 of 79 Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I love thrift stores. I come from a whole family of thrifters, and it's become more normal to me then shopping retail (which always seems insanely expensive to me now).

I once found a leopard print Combi stroller for $20. These usually retail for over $200. Big score. thumb.gif

New with tags Hanna Andersson pajamas for $7.

A 9 foot pre-lit Christmas tree in excellent condition for $20 (on the box it says it retails for $199).

A Torrid brand winter coat that I love and paid only $9.

A working Blu-Ray/DVD player that I paid $12 for.

autismribbon.gif

#9 of 79 Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM

I mostly shop for clothes at the Savers but once I was with dd and she found an American Girl doll Molly... in her original clothes minus her shoes. She was all excited and giddy but I told her to shush! so they wouldn't realize what it was, lol... oh we paid $4.99 for her!!

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#10 of 79 Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My very favorite buy was a pair of LLBean bunny slippers that were new with the tags on for $2. My dd was so desperately in love with them. She wore them every day for about 6 months until she outgrew them so much she literally couldn't get them on. 

I've bought so many things for a dollar or two that I would never have been able to afford or justify buying new. Thrift stores are awesome!

mama to three little ladies
#11 of 79 Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM

I got a great pair of Dr. Marten Mary Janes, they were made in England joy.gif and the soles weren't even scuffed for $3.

I got a cute little pair of Robeez for 50 cents, they were tossed in with the adult slippers. The person sorting must not have had any idea what they were.

I got my husband a Weber grill a couple weeks ago. It looked brand new and I got it for $12. He was thrilled!

My thrift store is really cheap on clothes. All kids clothes are $1 and all kids shoes are 35 cents. After it's been there a month everything goes down to 25 cents. That's where I get all of our clothes. I love the 25 cent rack. redface.gif

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#12 of 79 Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM

My best score was a pair of Ecco shoes that fit me perfectly and looked brand new for just under $8.

#13 of 79 Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM

I've had some great luck with baby/kid stuff!

Maya wrap sling for $4
Giesswein wool toggle coat for $4
Lots of Hannah Andersson stuff including a couple of coats for $6
Ecco toddler shoes
Keen toddler sandals ($3)
Tons of Lands End coats/hoodies

I found some sweaters for myself recently including one from Sundance Catalog, Garnet Hill and a great cashmere one.

I love thrifting!
#14 of 79 Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM

I have had an awesome winter of thrifting- mostly due to figureing out when the new stuff comes out at goodwill!  I bought a real mink coat (knee length) for $10 this fall and yesterday I picked up an LLBean perfect condition down jacket for $4.  I haven't bought a brand new coat in years- goodwill ones are so much nicer than what I would normally buy! 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#15 of 79 Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Today I got a $100 pair of Chaco sandals for $3 and a bag full of flexiblocks and legos for $4, yay

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#16 of 79 Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Shopping for a picky almost teen : beautiful Free People gypsy style skirt, American Eagle very current jeans, J Crew casmete pullover hoodie, two really funky all leather belts, Garner Hill jersey dress,Banana Repuplic jersey wrap skirt, full set of high quality long johns for skiing...there's more! I found this place on the way to the mall. I'm hooked.
#17 of 79 Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Today I bought a Plan Toys Green Dollhouse with the furniture for 4.99! It's only missing a piece of the roof that I bet I could get if I wanted it, but it's actually great for play access without it. It seems to be brand new. So stoked:)! I love thrifting!

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
#18 of 79 Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Wow, you guys all scored! The toys and stuff at our local thrift stores is junk here in Australia. The best you can hope for is Kmart and Target type clothes in near new condition. And even then they are at least $3 each item. And you can get those kinds of brands at the stores for $3-5 on sale so I would rather buy new for the same price. If they have any brand name items they are always tagged extra like $8 or more even if they are not in good condition. I dont think I have ever even seen a wooden toy at them, let alone quality wooden toy brands or dolls houses! Its all plastic junk missing parts or no longer working and so expensive!-  and that's if they even have any toy selection at all- only 1 out of 3 does. Even the McDonalds toys they price for $1 or more. I wish I lived over there love.gif

#19 of 79 Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM

I stopped by our local SA and found mainly books, but that is fine by me. I found a new soup cookbook and I can't wait to try recipes from it, a healthy eating curriculum we can use for homeschooling, a simple but pretty moon/sun sun catcher, and a plate from the pattern I collect.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#20 of 79 Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

we live pretty rural and the thrift stores are limited, but when we visit my son who just moved to seattle, we load our car up! last time we came home with chairs and baskets strapped to our roof. we try to buy most everything used. thrift store shopping is the most green way to buy, and let's you spend your money on more important things like healthy food and organic mattresses.....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#21 of 79 Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

This is a great thread! I've been a dedicated thrift store shopper for years. I haven't been in awhile and reading this thread has me itching to go - I'm going to set aside a $20 and go on a spree next weekend!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#22 of 79 Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM

I got a Hanna Andersson dress for dd for $4 that looks like it's never been worn.  We also got some GAP jeans for DS for $4 that are in like new condition as well.  I'm glad I've started thrifting again.  I love it when someone asks about my new shirt and I get to tell them I got it at the thrift store!

#23 of 79 Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM

My best recent score was a Vita-Mix for $9.75. My best score ever was an All-American canner for $29.99. They go for about $300 new,not sure about used. I was pretty geeked to say the least!

#24 of 79 Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Ohh what a fun thread!

My best ever deal was at Goodwill  over a year ago.  I came across a Medela double electric breast pump with no price.  The lady at the checkout counter had no idea what it was and asked if $5 sounded fair.  I was stoked!  Of course my extreme thrift-minded mother just had to outdo me, and a few weeks later found the same pump at a garage sale for $3.  So now I have two pumps. :)

I've also gotten great brands (Gap and Motherhood) maternity jeans from Goodwill for $3 or so.  And last year I got an exersaucer for my then-baby for $7 that was in excellent shape.  Even the baby retail store was selling theirs for about $50.  When I was done with mine I sold it to them for about $20. :)

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#25 of 79 Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Went back today and found a brand new with tag Express skirt for spring, originally $88.00 for $5.00!  This is only the second thing I've found for me.  The first is a Patagonia wool/alpaca sweater which I have worn almost daily this winter.  It has helped me keep the heat at a reasonable level in our house.  The kids have their woolies, but I don't.

#26 of 79 Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Not exactly a thrift store, but our local consignment store has all their kid items @ 50% off this week.  I bought 3 pairs of jeans, a pair of leggings, a pair of fleece pants, a hoodie and a sweater for $25.  All name brand stuff.  I would have paid that for one pair of jeans alone.  She's clearancing out for winter and I am buying ahead for next year.

#27 of 79 Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM

I love finding great sweaters at the Goodwill. Wool ones especially.

I'm reminded that I once found a pair of new Coach boots still in the original packaging for fifteen dollars. I sold those suckers on ebay for $85.
#28 of 79 Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 AM

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought something other than shoes or socks in a normal retail store, almost everything comes from the thrift store....

Greatest finds recently...

Leather loveseat and matching ottoman - $50 (Matches our chair perfectly, maybe $1000 retail?)

Awesome vintage davenport / couch/ thing - $10 (Maybe $70 in a vintage store?)

Amazing insulated carhart work overalls - $10 (would have been at least $80 retail)

Columbia and Northface boots last winter - looked brand new, not a scuff on them for $10 a pair -- At least $100 a pair retail

All my wool sweaters came from the thrift store - most are from banana republic (3 of 4) which means they were orginally at least $80? or so, but bought for $3 a piece.

I go normally once a month on average, on a Saturday as that is 1/2 price day, and always fidn something to bring home and treasure.

Still looking for a vitamix and all american canner, good to hear that a PP has in fact found those treasures as well, give me hope!

#29 of 79 Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitimom View Post

My best recent score was a Vita-Mix for $9.75. My best score ever was an All-American canner for $29.99. They go for about $300 new,not sure about used. I was pretty geeked to say the least!

I'm so jealous right now I could cry .. I've been coveting a Vita-Mix for years and have never found one in thrift. That is awesome!!!!

mama to three little ladies
#30 of 79 Old 02-22-2011, 08:58 AM

I've been pretty lucky lately with thrift store scores.

The latest was a pair of Luluemon yoga pants brand new! $4

A pair of Calvin Klein yoga pants (practically new) $4

See Kai Run shoes for ds for spring $2

A radio flyer push wagon for ds for  $14 (retail for $80-$110 online) used it as a Christmas gift

Not to mention jeans for the whole family for .99 cents a pair over the last few months at Goodwills 50% off sales.

Hand made pottery (.25-.49 cents each) I'm building an eclectic collection of hand thrown pottery for our dishware!

It really does make a big difference on where you live. We moved from a pretty rural/conservative area and it would take a lot of searching to find nice things. Where we are now I have to budget myself on my thrift shopping because I could get soooooo much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page