What would your splurge be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My tax return is scheduled to be deposited on Friday.  While most of it will be saved, I am allocating about $100 for entirely frivolous 'reward myself' spending. 

I am thinking of getting my hair cut and styled, or maybe picking up a couple new pieces of clothing- really I can't decide what exactly I want to spend it on, but it needs to be something for me, and that is a little indulgent.  Most of the time we live very frugally.  Our bills are not behind, we do have an emergency fund, needs are taken care of.  DH is asking that I actually so something just for myself with this money because I really never do, but it's hard to let myself be ok with spending any money I don't really HAVE to. We are coming out of a tight few years, and things are much better now, but those frugal habits are deeply ingrained. 

So, I'm looking for inspiration. What would YOUR splurge be? 

#2 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Clothes.  Or shoes. 

#3 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

An outfit and dinner out with the girls!
Amys1st likes this.
#4 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Books, clothes or something home related: paint, art, furniture (I'm thinking small and/or second hand). Maybe a craft that I was sort of interested in. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#5 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Haircut for sure.  It'll be such a great way to pamper yourself.  It will last for a long time and make you feel great!  Or, yoga classes =)

#6 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM

a new bra and new running shoes!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#7 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM

I would go for a haircut and maybe a manicure or foot massage.  At the place I go to you could get a haircut from a jr. stylist and a 15 minute massage for about that much.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#8 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maptome View Post

Haircut for sure.  It'll be such a great way to pamper yourself.  It will last for a long time and make you feel great!  Or, yoga classes =)

I think his is why I am drawn to the haircut- it would be something I could feel good about for a while, but then, the same can be said of clothes lol.  I'm not used to actually spending money on wants. 

#9 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Me? I actually need new eyebrows.  Yup, you read that right. New eyebrows.  Mine don't grow on the ends and I had them tattooed in 2002.  They were to last about 4 years.  Needless to say, they can barely be seen at this point and are crying for a redo.  My bonus is deposited on Monday, but, we have so many other pressing bills and household needs, I hate to get this done.  Although, I am going to call and see what she charges now . . . and whether she'll be running a special any time soon!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#10 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM

This is how we use our Christmas money.  Just for ourselves, as a splurge.  I finally went and spent some of mine this weekend.

I had my eyebrows threaded (and I look much better!), bought a new cardigan I've been eyeing, had a large iced tea from a fast food place, and I window shopped for shoes.  It was a great way to spend the afternoon. 

#11 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oddly, I appreciate it a great deal more than I used to.  Hmm- eyebrow tidying.. hair.. I could do with some upkeep and maintenance!

#12 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM

A woven wrap.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#13 of 29 Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

A woven wrap.

I am insanely jealous, my littlest is beyond wrapping tolerance.  But that would be a great splurge!

#14 of 29 Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Get the hair done... definately!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#15 of 29 Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Happily- I just found out there is a new beauty college in town, and I've decided to make an appointment there.  I know it may be a gamble, but I can't beat the price and people who have gone there have been thrilled. 

It appeals to my frugal side!  I'll see what is left after that. 

#16 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama to B View Post

An outfit and dinner out with the girls!

That is exactly what I'd do. But I would buy a few outfits instead of one- at real outlet prices or one of my other good cheap clothes haunts. Living vicariously through you.

#17 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Oh I'd probably buy myself some cute nursing tops or clothes for after baby comes. I did buy myself 3 nice nursing tops but I got them used for $18 for all of them. Other than that I've only bought 2 (again used so about $15 total) belly bands that I can use under regular shirts instead of buying nursing clothes. It'd be nice to be able to just buy some cute clothes for me. Of course I have been dreaming of a serger for years now though and still have yet to bring myself to buy me one. I'd love to have it but ugh it's not a *need* and I hate to spend that kind of money on something for me. Dang at being frugal sometimes LOL.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#18 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Ohhh or get really crazy and go get a nice hair cut and some tanning sessions after the baby comes. Yep lala land over here I'll never do it hee hee.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#19 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#20 of 29 Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Zumba classes.

#21 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

I would have to do something that isn't a one time shot, a gift that keeps giving!  For Christmas I got a espresso machine & a ceramic travel mug!  Not to much money (Mr Coffee pump machine on sale $59 & on clearance 2 travel mugs for $6)  it saves me from spending  $ on lattes when I'm out.  I can use organic coffee & milk & even Trader Joe's organic chocolate syrup & it is still way cheaper!  And it isn't used up in a few visits as a Starbucks gift card would be! 

With my Birthday money I got new toss pillows for our bed, & a piece of artwork for the bedroom wall that I'm in love with.  I also added a couple new living room pillows.  DH painted the fireplace for me & he & DD painted my computer chair!  Also we have been touching up scuffed trim & baseboard, & it makes the house look clean & crisp!   If I didn't need a little update in the house I would have spent it on clothes!  

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#22 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the beauty college worked well- I got a good cut and color for less than $40.  Now I have the rest tucked aside for the remainder of my splurge!

I am so happy though to look a little less 'Mom' and a little more 'Me'.  Totally fun and unnatural highlights bring out the texture of my curls, and the bright highlights really brighten me up a bit.  It took four hours, but it was four hours of sitting down and not having to chase a child!

#23 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Well, the beauty college worked well- I got a good cut and color for less than $40.  Now I have the rest tucked aside for the remainder of my splurge!

I am so happy though to look a little less 'Mom' and a little more 'Me'.  Totally fun and unnatural highlights bring out the texture of my curls, and the bright highlights really brighten me up a bit.  It took four hours, but it was four hours of sitting down and not having to chase a child!

Sounds like money well spent!

It's complicated.
#24 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would probably put in an order at Fabrics.com or go to Jo-Ann's for stuff for an embroidery project I'd like to do on my SCA garb coat.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#25 of 29 Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Insidevoice, Do you have plans for the rest of the money?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#26 of 29 Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM

My splurges were a hair cut and color, and new glasses/contacts.  And then DH and I are splurging on a really expensive dinner out for our anniversary.  But to be fair, I don't know if the haircut and glasses count as a splurge really-It had been over a year since my last hair cut and it was really straggly looking.  And glasses, I had been doing without since my two year old had broken them.  My vision isn't AWFUL, but it's bad enough that I should have been wearing the glasses.

#27 of 29 Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Haircut at a nice salon. I haven't had the luck of cheaper haircuts like the OP just had. Good for you!!

I also bought a few new shirts at the thrift shop. Still frugal enough to keep it used, plus I get more shirts or the $$. A new pair of sunglasses for $8!

I think I've about spent my allocation for this years tax return.

Dh spent 3 hours at the local gym with a workout, steam room and jacuzzi.

I'd go for a massage if I felt I hadn't spent mine already.

Dh and my birthday fall after our tax return usually comes in so it's nice to pamper ourselves just a little and have an extra excuse to do so.

#28 of 29 Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Insidevoice, Do you have plans for the rest of the money?

I have it tucked aside, I haven't made any concrete plans for it yet.  However, I was just given a Kindle as a gift, and I may convert it to lovely wonderful books... 

#29 of 29 Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

My splurges were a hair cut and color, and new glasses/contacts.  And then DH and I are splurging on a really expensive dinner out for our anniversary.  But to be fair, I don't know if the haircut and glasses count as a splurge really-It had been over a year since my last hair cut and it was really straggly looking.  And glasses, I had been doing without since my two year old had broken them.  My vision isn't AWFUL, but it's bad enough that I should have been wearing the glasses.

The glasses were budgeted out of it for me- it's been five years, but I am not claiming that as a splurge.  I tried to, but DH said it didn't count. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page