I feel stupid to be upset by this... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm also going through a sugar withdrawal atm...AND I'm almost 8 weeks PP...to two under two...so none of this is helping my current mood.

My DH just texted me and told me that he's been looking at our spending and our current food budget is out of control. I'm not sure how it got that way because before the end of last year we were FINE. (That's a lie, I know how it got that way...you'll see)  We've been trying to eat better so we've been buying all of our meats from Whole Foods. *I* feel better about this choice. And, a bit of a TMI, my DH's digestive tract feels better too. He doesn't react well to, well, crap meat. We've also been buying our veggies organic that are on the "dirty dozen" list.

What I *think* happened is this: DH doesn't like to make a bunch of trips for food. We had been buying half of our stuff at Whole Foods (meat, some produce, raw cheese) and half at the grocery store (canned foods, other produce, breads) We made several trips to WF that involved me going, "Okay, the stuff we're getting here is XYZ" and him going, "Let's just get it while we're here." Anyone that's shopped at WF knows that there can be a significant difference in price for almost the exact same thing you find at a regular grocery (sometimes the same brand!). We also got in the habit of getting treats (chips, sodas, candy) while at WF because a few months ago we were new shoppers and it was fun...

I feel really stupid to be upset at the prospect of buying conventional meats and whatnot. I understand the need to save money, I really do. I just want to keep eating like we have been...

There really isn't anywhere else I can see cutting back atm. Food is our big spend.

I just needed to vent. Thoughts and advice is still welcome.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Buy in bulk.  Shop sales and don't buy anything at full price. 

Ok I honestly don't know how meat is priced at stores so I don't know if you can even find a sale on that, but if not, look at other places. 

I buy mostly organic produce but we don't have tons of choices every week either.  I buy what's on sale and that's the fruit for the week.  I don't like going to 10 different stores either.  So I shop at two.  They run sales regularly for things we eat and I can get alot of what I need for a good price.  We do sometimes go to Costco but not often.  And yeah, it is a pain to go to different stores, but it can be worth it.

And I do buy treat foods, but I again, on sale and cheap.  And I make what I can at home.

It isn't fun to have to cut your grocery budget but maybe if you can get most of your food on sale, you can afford the spendier meat.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

We have been meaning to make a trip out to Costco to check it out....I guess that needs to become priority.

The meats and stuff go on sale from time to time, but I plan our meals a month in advance so we don't always catch the sales when we're shopping. (And we tried just showing up, shopping, and going from there but it was WAY more expensive that way)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Can you just shop sales and then plan from what you have in the house?  I save alot of money doing that instead of planning and then shopping.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

Can you just shop sales and then plan from what you have in the house?  I save alot of money doing that instead of planning and then shopping.

I'll talk it over with DH...

The problem with that right now is we're nearing the end of the month so we're kind of out of food...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM

I largely gave up on buying meat from most stores.  Instead, I buy it from the local meat processor (yep, they do in the animals right there) and I arrange to get meat from an animal raised by a rancher I consider ethical. It isn't necessarily organic, but it is pastured and the quality is great. By buying in bulk I can get a half cow and a pig cut and wrapped as I request and I'm set for a long while.  Chicken is something I buy as it's available from local sources- always whole birds because they are so much more economical.  I currently have about 6 chickens and a turkey in the freezer as well. 

It is an up front cost, but by eliminating meat from our normal grocery shops, we save money in the long term. 

Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Is there a Sunflower Market near you? I think they have a couple in Texas...They have decent natural meats and a good selection of organics...plus all the canned and such you need. Finding them was a life saver for my family (really, I shop the sale flier and plan meals that way) so we could keep eating well on very little money.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Oh, this too.  I always shop for what is a good price first, and plan meals based on that instead of planning meals first. 

We had great sales on pasta lately, so we are eating that, along with some really wonderful veggies that were on sale. 

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Where in Tx are you?  I'm in N. Texas, NW of the DFW area.  What we don't raise ourselves we find deals on, straight from the farmer, or we participate in trapping/butchering.  If you are nearby maybe I can help you find some options...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Where in Tx are you?  I'm in N. Texas, NW of the DFW area.  What we don't raise ourselves we find deals on, straight from the farmer, or we participate in trapping/butchering.  If you are nearby maybe I can help you find some options...

San Antonio, near Lackland AFB

Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM

We have the same problem with our food budget. We are spending a FORTUNE each month (usually around $1400) for a family of 5. We NEVER eat out. And we only eat meat one night a week. What gets us is the organic milk and produce. We like to eat healthy (although our food is not all organic), and we consume a very wide variety of fruits and vegetables. My husband does the cooking, and he cooks very simple dinners, but he always puts out at least three different types of vegetables as well as a fruit (and my kids DO eat all of this). 

We don't feel we have the time to go to 10 different stores, or to bake our own bread, etc. We started last month with the "stocking up" plan. Whenever we saw a good deal, we bought it! So now we have a small pantry with about 15 boxes of organic cereal, four organic peanut butters, etc. Of course, this raised our food spending for February, but hopefully shopping this way (and getting better at it) will start to help us each month.

I do want to eat healthy and feed my kids healthy food, but it is hard to make that sacrifice if we're spending all our money on food and not being able to afford a better house, vacations, entertainment, etc.

I hope you can find a simple way to cut your food budget. And if you so, please post it on here! Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

This is closer to what I do as well.

We also buy meat from Sunflower market, not organic but a bit more natural.

I do shop at 3 different stores and WF is one of them but the only items I get are either their 365 items or on sale. I don't buy produce there, usually other local grocers have better choices for local produce and better prices on organics.

We eat meat 1-2 times a week.

WF has a children program where they can pick out a snack (ie carrots, stick cheese, cookie from bakery) I like knowing that at least we can give ds a treat even if we can't afford one for ourselves.

Honestly I wish I could buy all organics from the "dirty dozen" list. But some of them I can barely afford the conventional one and then only on sale.

Eat in season as much as possible.

Quote:

Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

I don't buy meat, but our costco sells organic whole organic chickens and organic beef, does yours?

I only go to WF once a month, and only buy specialty items that I can only get at WF, like bulk organic oats.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM

I'm in San Antonio..... There is a Sun Harvest at Callaghan and I10... its one of the bigger ones. they take coupons and if you get their flier on Wed. then both the previous and current weeks sales are available. I like www.greenling.com for their local box. where we live they deliver on a tues. I make my list. hit the Sun Harvest Sales with the HEB flier in hand and then finish up my shop at HEB on the way home

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp and I View Post

I'm in San Antonio..... There is a Sun Harvest at Callaghan and I10... its one of the bigger ones. they take coupons and if you get their flier on Wed. then both the previous and current weeks sales are available. I like www.greenling.com for their local box. where we live they deliver on a tues. I make my list. hit the Sun Harvest Sales with the HEB flier in hand and then finish up my shop at HEB on the way home

Are their prices really really reasonable? We *just* heard about them being in town. We've ordered online before and it was quite expensive.

Scratch that. I just looked it up and heard angels singing lol

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Whole foods takes coupon s plus they also have coupons that you can download off their website...plus You can buy a case of any thing in the store you save 10% . If its on sale you get the case price and the sale price which can really work out..which Means any time meat is on sale ask them how much is in a case
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Our WF has sales at the meat counter every Friday.  Last week it was organic chickens for $1.89/lb.  For the bulk of our meat, I do a hormone free chicken and beef CSA and fill any gaps with WF.  I pick up a pizza from WF every Friday after work, so, now, I make it a point to swing by the meat counter to see whether what we usually run out of is on sale.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

San Antonio, near Lackland AFB

It's been a long time since I was a military dependant, but I remember the commissary having really good prices on groceries and nicer meats. Is that not true anymore?

Yes good prices....but the quality is terrible.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You didn't say how much meat you are buying/using. Can you cut the portions or eliminate it from some meals completely? You could still buy the quality you like, just less of it. WF has some great deals on organic non-meat protein sources too.

This may sound silly but do you have Facebook? I'm a fan or like or whatever it's called now of my local WF. I get to see their daily deals and specials without having to go to the store. 

I don't know how much money you need to save but it sounds like you might be able to just add a trip to the other grocery for your non-organic needs and you'll go back to the amount you were paying last year which you seemed fine with. I love WF and buy a lot there but there are just some things that they overprice so so so much I just can't justify buying it there. 

mama to three little ladies
Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Is it possible to talk with your dh about the habit of saying "let's just buy it while we're here" rather than planning to get specific items at the other store because of cost? I shop similar to the way you do -- certain items from certain stores, because of quality and price -- but whenever dh and I go shopping together, we somehow end up spending way more than we meant to. More on impulse purchases and treats, more on "let's just get it while we're here" type items. So our solution was just to not shop together! You'd be surprised how much that helped our food bill. :lol:

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I think the issue is pretty easy to solve. You buy your meats at WF. And when your DH says that he doesn't want to do a separate shop, you remind him that this is how the budget got out of control. Then you guys all suck it up and run to the grocery store.

Other options to consider:

• Get more at WF at a time (do a monthly shop, for example - you can freeze the meat)
  • If the grocery store and WF are not near each other, consider whether it would make more sense to not do these trips on the same day?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

It may also be worth presenting your dh with an itemized list of the items he wants to buy at WF and their prices and put it against the same list priced at the other grocer.  Then annualize it.  Then he can actually see just how much is disdain of adding an extra stop is costing your family.  Since he's willing to look at numbers, this might be helpful and convincing for him.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 02-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You need a family rule that the only things you buy at WF are meat and cheese or whatever. Nothing else. No impulse spending no looking around no trials nothing.

In our case, we actually save some money buy shopping there because we never buy x 3 oz $17 rainforest crunch or whatever. There meat is much cheaper than our farmer's market, organic dairy is generally cheaper than a conventional grocery store, etc. We buy mostly organic and conventional grocery story pricing on those products is INSANE.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I largely gave up on buying meat from most stores.  Instead, I buy it from the local meat processor (yep, they do in the animals right there) and I arrange to get meat from an animal raised by a rancher I consider ethical. It isn't necessarily organic, but it is pastured and the quality is great. By buying in bulk I can get a half cow and a pig cut and wrapped as I request and I'm set for a long while.  Chicken is something I buy as it's available from local sources- always whole birds because they are so much more economical.  I currently have about 6 chickens and a turkey in the freezer as well. 

It is an up front cost, but by eliminating meat from our normal grocery shops, we save money in the long term. 

This. Kind of. We don't have a freezer so I just go to our farmer's market each week and buy hormone/antibiotic pastured meat. It's not organic but it's affordable (similar to supermarket meat not on sale) and ethical.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

User Tag List