Little things that make you feel rich - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mostly what other people have said.  However, not trying to be pretentious in a "Frasier" sort of way, I have to say that rich for me is...

Not flying coach, being served champagne before take-off, having an in-flight meal served with actual SILVERware, staying in a luxury hotel with your own robe and slippers and view of the sea, and having someone else take care of the luggage from start to finish.  Dining in places where the waiter places your napkin on your lap and pulls the chair out for you.  A room where not only are the bed clothes pulled down for you, but warmed.  Room service that includes flowers.  Car service than includes valet.  Dinner reservations at the most romantic spot in town.  Perhaps not little, but these are absolutely the things that speaks of pampering to me.  Then again, we're terribly practical and frugal, so this doesn't happen often even if we can actually "afford" it.  It's kind of special. 

I guess that's the name of the game... whatever makes you feel special.  Whether that is buying retail instead of thrift or owning vs. renting or getting meat instead of beans.  I think ultimately, it comes from inside.  I've been very rich in my life, even when I was dead broke.

#62 of 126 Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I've been very rich in my life, even when I was dead broke.

as have I.  Pity I didn't always understand that in the moment.  Glad I do now.

#63 of 126 Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

For me it's being able to eat out regularly, and being able to stop and grab a coffee or buy a treat for the kids or whatever when we're out and about.  Right now we can't afford ANY eating out, and I have to say no to the kids every single time they ask for a small treat and it feels awful.

This.  I love being able to say "yes" sometimes to  a little treat when we are out.  A drink at the zoo, an ice cream cone after playing at the park, a book from the bookstore, etc.  I can't constantly say "no", it makes me feel like crap - as in, true depression.  

CPST
#64 of 126 Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 PM

little things I guess.

owning my own washer/dryer finally after years of washing clothes at the laundry mat

being able to afford a new book

hot water everymorning for a shower.....

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#65 of 126 Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

This.  I love being able to say "yes" sometimes to  a little treat when we are out.  A drink at the zoo, an ice cream cone after playing at the park, a book from the bookstore, etc.  I can't constantly say "no", it makes me feel like crap - as in, true depression.  

This has been my reality, too, for the last couple of years.  The kids don't even ask for things anymore. But last summer, when out-of-town family was visiting we went to an outdoor festival that was supposed to be "free". Between the rides and the crafts and the food booths - none of which was free, by the way - the only thing that was "free" was walking into the festival - they wanted to do EVERYTHING.  And that is the first time that it really hit me...OMG, we're poor. I literally couldn't afford to give them $2 bcs I had spent $10 on parking and THAT was a huge panic-stricken splurge. I felt like crap. Dh is finally working again, and although I plan to maintain our frugal ways, it is such a relief to be able to "yes" every once in a while without fear of knowing where the next paycheck is coming from.

#66 of 126 Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Not feeling guilty about something.  That is rich.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#67 of 126 Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Good food makes me feel rich. I know I'm a snob, but I never felt poorer than when we were living in our van and had to use fake syrup for our pancakes. There's just something about real food that makes me feel rich (especially real maple syrup). It just feels good to know that, poor as we are, we, at least, can eat real, delicious, home-cooked (or raw, fresh produce) food, and our better off neighbors eat all their food from boxes and factories. (I know, I'm a snob.) redface.gif

I prefer flannel cloths for blowing my nose on, so tissues don't do much for me.

Maple syrup, fresh bread, fresh fruit....mmmmm

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#68 of 126 Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 AM

I have another one to add...  A working dishwasher.  We've been using ours as a dish drainer for the past year or so.  And then when we bought our new one, there was a plumbing mess, so the installer from Lowes couldn't hook it up.  It's been another month waiting for our plumber friend to have the time to come by to help us out.  I don't mind not having a dishwasher, but having one that actually works (and one that we don't have to pre-wash the dishes to get them clean) ...  Joy. 

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#69 of 126 Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM

I feel rich because I don't have to worry about the bills. They come every month, I pay them, and it's not a big deal. I've had times where every utility bill felt like a catastrophe. I'm in grad school and I don't have a ton of extra money, but I can cover everything I need. The electric bill isn't a source of stress in my life.

Also, I feel rich when I can buy little things for my son, like a new pair of summer sandals. I don't spend scads of money on him, but I like knowing that I'm providing for him. I buy a lot of his clothes at thrift stores or consignment sales or on clearance sale between seasons, but I like knowing that I can get him some new things that he needs.

Mostly, though, I think I feel rich in general because I grew up in a very financially stable family. Poverty was something I played with in my 20s, but it's never been a forceful reality. I have the ultimate safety net of a family that would reach out and catch me if I was in bad financial trouble. I've always been pretty financially independent, but knowing that I have that safety net is a huge reassurance.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#70 of 126 Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post

I took a sweet stray cat to the vet today and got him assessed and treated, treated for worms and fleas.  I feel pretty rich to be able to do that.  Altho, I did sacrifice a few good meals for the next two weeks... I'm eating soup and pasta for the next 19 days at least (within the budget), but have a great feeling, flea free, well fed cat happily snoozing on my couch.  :)    aww

I also feel rich b'c I have the knowledge and skills to find this fuzzy guy a forever home.  And, even though I'm scared to write this, I'm rich b'c I know that if I can't find this animal a forever home, that I'll have the resources to become its home.  But, I'M SO NOT A CAT PERSON!  I hope someone will fall in love with this guy and help him.  He's a Maine Coon and is young and already neutered.  SO sweet and has a funny personality.  Uh, this is why I feel rich... I know that I'll be able to deal, whatever happens.  I'm rich, I'm rich rich rich...

I am definitely not a cat person, either, but took in a cat that a friend was rehoming last summer. He's stupid, boy is he ever stupid! But he's also a big sweetie and has found a home in our family of dog and chicken people just fine. Except when he gets into the backyard and decides to go chicken bowling. ;)

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#71 of 126 Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Having a dishwasher is major for me, we didn't have one for years. Not having a credit card balance or car loans. Being able to buy a $4 huge tub of spinach a week, getting my kids a shake every once in a while or take them to the arcade. Being able to stay home with them, listening to a song dh has just recorded (cause he has the time to do it!!!!), having GREAT wooden blinds that we got for free wink1.gif

Umm, just the luxury of being able to do simple, even free, things with the kids makes me feel rich. Being able to spend $5, $15 every once in a while and it being ok.

#72 of 126 Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Read through the page I skipped at first and thought of a couple more!  Making my own iced coffee (just reg cup of coffee over ice with a straw) makes me feel like I'm drinking a starbucks!  Laying in the sun getting a tan, soaking up the warmth and goodness. Going to the dollar tree and spending $20 !!!  And the package of terri clothes I bought at Sams Club a couple weeks ago. I have been using them to wash everything including the floors and it feels great!  To wash with one hand and dry with the other,  throw in the washer when done. (Is this one weird??!? I don't know what it is. Maybe not worrying about wasting a sponge, or replacing the broken mop)

#73 of 126 Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Hugs and I love you's from my kids make me feel rich.

But on a "material" level.....

Getting the newspaper delivered to my door. 

Being able to take my kids out for ice cream just because.  Or ordering a pizza b/c I have a taste for one!!  We went thru a real tight phase when I was laid off and before DH's promotions. 

At this point having a half tank or more of gas.   lol

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#74 of 126 Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Right now it would be getting to fill up my gas tank!

For me, even though we try to limit use of the clothes dryer, it's getting to use it to heat up a towel while I'm in the shower. Or a quilt before bed on a cool night.

Swinging with my girls at the park.

A hot cup of tea in a lovely mug.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#75 of 126 Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

This is really dumb, but I feel rich now that I can always have my hot dogs on a bun, rather than on a folded up piece of bread.  .....    I'm with you on the tissues, too.

LOL, this is exactly what I was going to say.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#76 of 126 Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SammyJoe View Post

Having dress shoes for my daughter to wear to church. I grew up with three sisters, and there were never enough dress shoes. I hated wearing tennies with skirts! Even if I get them from yard sales, I will ALWAYS have dress shoes for my little girl (at least as long as she wants them!)

This is a really big deal for me too. 

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#77 of 126 Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Love this thread!  :)

Things that make me feel rich:

Being able to put my expenses into the budget each month and having enough.

Knowing that I can provide a comfortable lifestyle for myself and DS even if child support disappears (which it probably will some day).

My every other week cleaning lady.  I love and adore her and she's a total splurge but worth every penny!!!

The ability to put my son into a better preschool when the current one isn't living up to expectations.

When I was able to buy the car I really wanted.  ALL BY MYSELF!  (It's not remotely fancy, but it's the first car I picked out without brother or spouse input...and having to increase the low budget to get it wasn't a deal-breaker!) 

One of the biggest ones...I was able to take a whole week off work and take DS on vacation last summer.  We just rented a little cabin for the week and brought the cat and hung out and threw rocks in the water and he had a fabulous time.  This year I'm planning to do it again, except probably do a couple of long weekends right on the shore instead of a whole week.  But being able to take DS on vacation made me feel extremely rich.  :)   Somehow a real vacation never happened before.  All vacation and travel money was spent on seeing the grandparents.  This was the first time I had enough time off and money to do a real family vacation.  :)  I fully intend to make it an annual thing!

#78 of 126 Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Things that would make me feel rich:
What would really make me feel rich would be to be able to spend enough money to revamp my wardrobe with cute, quality clothes that will last and look nice. I feel shabby lately, but I'm no good at goodwill buying, and I don't want to get a bunch of cheap clothes at target or something that won't last. I'd like to be able to pick up a couple of items at a nice locally owned store that can go with everything and revamp my wardrobe.

Being able to afford a tailor for DP's clothes. He has a different from standard sizeing body shape, which means that 95% of his clothes do not look good on him. (Luckily, and randomly, his one suit looks amazing on him.) I'd like to be able to buy and have tailored for him a pair of nice jeans, a pair of khakis/slacks, 2-3 dress shirts, and possibly tailor his sports coat and suit to fit him even better than they already do. And also a couple of really attractive casual shirts that fit him really well. I hate seeing him in clothing that fits so poorly and that I've patched so much. But to be able to get his clothes tailored, that would make me feel rich.

Not stopping to think if we can afford it, and just getting the little household things as we need them. Like new potholders, a lemon juicer, knife sharpening, etc.

Things that do make me feel rich:
Honestly, I often get really good quality for my money which makes me feel rich. Like the beautiful flowers for my mom for mother's day. I didn't spend very much, but the florist did a gorgeous bouquet up. Or a really good meaty meal. We had lamb shanks for valentines day. That made me feel so rich, because it was an ENTIRE lamb shank each. (Instead of a small amount of ground meat each). Though honestly, most of our food makes me feel rich because we eat so well. I'm a pretty good cook (and cook for a living) but my DP is AMAZING. (Or maybe he's a GREAT cook and not having to cook, because he already did, is combined into amazing. He's definitely a really good cook though) We're having a party next week, and we're buying meat for everyone who eats it! We're potlucking the sides (though I'll make several), but we can afford to splurge and buy enough grass-fed ground beef for everyone to have sliders (all the meat eaters). We invited about 35 people, though I think we'll have about 15-20. To me, that makes me feel so rich.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#79 of 126 Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM

I hired a cleaning lady to come every other week and when I walk into my clean, fantastic smelling house with everything neatened up...I feel like a million dollars.  She is absolutely worth every penny.

#80 of 126 Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

I feel rich because I don't have to worry about the bills. They come every month, I pay them, and it's not a big deal. I've had times where every utility bill felt like a catastrophe.

This is the main one for me, for sure. My husband is even unemployed right now, but we were able to build up a little nest egg before his layoff so we're still doing okay. And we're still managing to put money into a savings account on my income, and that feels good. Knowing that money is there makes me feel really secure, because I've had plenty of times in my life - as a kid (growing up in a poor family, though we didn't really know we were poor then) and as adult struggling to strike out on my own - where every bill and lack of paycheck was a huge worry.

As for little luxuries that make me feel rich - I buy Saveur and Urban Farms magazines every month (though I am thinking of switching to subscribing, because it's cheaper and I do love a good deal). And while I save money by coloring my hair out of the box at home, I do treat myself to a professional haircut at a nice salon every 2-3 months, at $80 a pop.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#81 of 126 Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just love everyone's responses! It's so funny what triggers that **thing** that says, "You are well cared for and financially OK." I love how simple some of them can be.

#82 of 126 Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post

I just love everyone's responses! It's so funny what triggers that **thing** that says, "You are well cared for and financially OK." I love how simple some of them can be.

I think that is the loveliest part myself.  love.gif

#83 of 126 Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Coffee and wine - even at home

Musical Education for my children

Being upgraded

When my husband makes pancakes on the weekend while I am still sleeping :)

#84 of 126 Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

I love the "full pantry" comments. I restocked ours in nice containers from IKEA this weekend and sent a picture of it to my hubby at work. Makes us both very happy!!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#85 of 126 Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM

I thought of another one.  Being able to buy those $2.99 Lego figurines when I shop at Target or Wal-mart. It isn't often, but I like being able to say YES!  or to shop alone and leave a pack on my kid's beds.

#86 of 126 Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

-Having a big bottle of good shampoo and conditioner in the shower.

-Nice bedding that inspires me to make my bed--every day!

-My linen bath towel

And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbutts View Post

shopping at Whole Foods, even if it's just for a scone and a coffee

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#87 of 126 Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Being able to buy whatever we want (organic, free range, fair trade, fresh etc.) at the grocery store

Leaving a tip at the restaurant (it's not expected or commonly done here)

Giving money to charity or a beggar

Having very little possessions, but high quality things I really enjoy using 

this resonates with me.

I love to save and save until I am able to purchase something that I have desired for a long time. It makes me love it every time I use it or look at it.

An espresso (made at home) every morning.

Being able to eat, and feed my children, organic food. And being able to create delicious food from scratch from these products.

Snuggling into our warm beds on a chilly night.

Hearing my DD or DS singing and laughing.

Time together as a family.

Great thread.

C

#88 of 126 Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Our home we built this year.. It is cob and beautiful , it makes mr feel blessed and grounded in all ways. We built it as a family so that makes me feel rich with love!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#89 of 126 Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM

A beautiful serving bowl to present to my family the night's dinner. It's a big nice change from serving straight out of the cooking pot, and it just adds a sense of formality and beauty and comfort to the meal. I took the time to cook the nutritious meal, and it seems to increase the value of the meal, and it also brings everyone to the table to serve themselves out of it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#90 of 126 Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Drinking a glass of wine while sitting in our backyard with the waterfall on while the boys swim or play in our new built by daddy sandbox. It feels like a vacation.

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page