Little things that make you feel rich - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been thinking about this lately....the psychology of luxury/wealth/security, and how funny that can be. Regardless of what one's actual finances or net worth are, there are bound to be certain emotional triggers that make one feel secure (or not).

I'm interested in what little or unusual things make you feel financially secure. Or if you don't feel that way, what small things might make you feel, "Ahhhh....we've made it."

For example, for my husband, it's a pantry full of food. And not just various stuff....multiples of things. Ten boxes of pasta, 5 jars of sauce, a dozen cans of tuna, etc....THAT would make him feel very secure.

For me it's kleenex. lol.gif  Yep, having a box of tissue in every bathroom and on the nightstands just feels like luxury/security/wealth for me. Isn't that silly? I think it's because we were so poor in our 20s that kleenex was simply out of the equation. Those years it was a struggle to just get toilet paper, and that sufficed fine for runny noses. But, yeah, for whatever reason buying a $1.29 box of tissue feels like wealth to me.

Do other people have these eccentricities, too?

Maybe not flinching when the cashier does your tele-check, or knowing that a phone call with "Unknown" on the caller i.d. no longer means creditors calling, having your favorite tea on hand? Just little stuff that makes (or would make) you FEEL rich!

#2 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM

We bought a house with a dining room- we never had one before.I have been accumulating formal dishes , serving pieces , etc.I got real linen tablecloths and napkins from Freecycle- also a very costly set of china[looked it up on Replacements] from Freecycle.I have been buying crystal wine glasses in one common pattern for $1.00 each as I come across them in thrift shops.When I see my dining room all ready for a special occasion I feel rich even though I personally did not spend a lot of money on it.

sugarlumpkin likes this.
#3 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#4 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yayyyy! Exactly the sorts of things I was thinking of! joy.gif

Seriously, my husband is at the store right now replenishing our boxes of tissues (after 2 weeks of colds around our house). I will feel richer placing those around the house than checking my bank balance, my investments, paying my bills, etc. Just feeeeeels so gooooood!

eta: Buying bird seed and filling the outdoor feeders. Same thing for me....so NOT necessary, but brings us so much joy to watch the birds and just feels like, "We've MADE IT!" LOL $30 a month. What a great return on investment!

#5 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM

This is really dumb, but I feel rich now that I can always have my hot dogs on a bun, rather than on a folded up piece of bread.  I also feel rich now that we can eat real butter rather than margarine.  I'm with you on the tissues, too.

swede likes this.
#6 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 AM

I feel rich when I buy a £3 bouquet of flowers every week for the kitchen window. Fresh flowers feel special and extravagant to me.
JamieCatheryn likes this.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#7 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM

We went through a tight spot where we stopped spending money on little things. After Christmas we finally when and bought stuff when it was on sale and for the next couple weeks I felt so rich having things we could use instead of feeling lack. 

Toaster

More hangers for the closet

New tea kettle

3 shirts for me, same flattering simple cut but different colours= no more "what will I wear?" moments

A nice big rug for the front door for snowy boots

Some storage bins so I could put things away

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#8 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM

What a fun thread!! I totally agree with the full pantry, when I look in our pantry and see that it's full of healthy food, I feel really secure.

A big one for me is coming inside the house after being outside in cold weather. My house usually smells like some kind of food cooking (we use the slow cooker and the bread machine almost constantly!) so when I walk in the door I'm hit with warm air and the smell of something yummy, I don't know why but that makes me feel pretty rich.

Tea. That one is kind of silly, but taking the time to make a nice hot cup of tea, especially when I can wrap up in a blanket and sit in front of the fireplace...that makes me feel like I'm living a life of luxury, lol.

Doing stuff as a family. I know so many families that have to juggle the schedules of multiple jobs, just to make ends meet, and despite working so hard there's no money (or time) to go out and do anything :( So when we get to load up and go to the zoo, nature walks at state parks, even just a picnic at a local park, anywhere really, I feel like we have everything :)

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#9 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM

To me, feeling rich = money in the bank and being able to spend on wants instead of needs.  I also feel rich when I'm able to splurge on something nicer than I usually buy- the Calvin Klein sundress I bought last summer or the expensive bottle of wine or redecorating the living room. 

Tonight DH and I are celebrating the fact that his 401(k) just reached a milestone number by having a fancy dinner at home- steak (grass-fed organic from the 1/2 cow we recently bought straight from the farmer) and a *really nice* bottle of wine.  

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#10 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM

A starbucks latte

granolamommie likes this.
#11 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Funny how it varies from person to person. A friend of mine who is from India told me that she being able to walk around the house in socks makes her feel rich, that she could afford to "waste the wear" on her socks in the house. I spent my teens in a house where only the living room and kitchen were heated, in a country with a rather cold climate, and to me being able to afford to have my home warm enough to walk around barefoot has the same effect!

#12 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Buying a new to us, but still much newer than my ten year old car. Knowing I have a safe and reliable car, makes me feel rich.

Though normally, being able to buy books, makes me feel rich.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#13 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Full pantry for me too.  And when I have my hair cut well.  And have a few different types of tea in the pantry.  One thing that makes me feel rich too is having enough to be able to give some away, or to give something I don't use anymore but is still in great shape, and I don't need the money bad enough to have to charge someone for it but can just give it away.  Oh, and several different pairs of socks that are in good or new condition.  Nice thread, makes me feel pretty grateful, thx!

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#14 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post

Full pantry for me too.  And when I have my hair cut well.  And have a few different types of tea in the pantry.  One thing that makes me feel rich too is having enough to be able to give some away, or to give something I don't use anymore but is still in great shape, and I don't need the money bad enough to have to charge someone for it but can just give it away.  Oh, and several different pairs of socks that are in good or new condition.  Nice thread, makes me feel pretty grateful, thx!

Totally agree. Thinking about how many things there are in my life that make me feel rich, I'm beginning to feel very blessed. Also agree about the giving- that makes me feel pretty rich, too.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#15 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

A nice, locally made bar of soap.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#16 of 126 Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 PM

I love this thread!

Fresh, warm crusty bread slathered with local organic unsalted butter. Ummnummnumm.....
Wool knee high socks. Wool sweaters. Wool skirts. I love wool!
Locally roasted "special" coffee (at $12 for under a pound this is a rare treat)
It makes me feel very rich to know my child physically has everything he needs. I think this probably gives me the same feeling of security as a full pantry for many of you.
Having my own washer and dryer (because for years and years we did not)
I agree with having a warm house, but this rarely happens here as we normally keep the heater set at 62. However the last couple of weeks its been at 67 because DS is potty training (ie. nakeybutt) and ohmygoodness what bliss! Bliss I tell you!
A bottle of good wine..even good cheap wine, just makes my day. Served out of a crystal glass. Throw in a homemade pasta dinner and I am happy.
Having a great local library system where I can actually get books that I want (vs the crappy library that had nothing I had to depend on while pregnant! That made me feel very sad and deprived).
Having a stash of essential oils.
Being able to make things that I can give to other people. One reason I have never sold any of my crafts lol.
Being able to make clothes for my son. Thats the best.

#17 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Being able to buy good toilet paper.

#18 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Fixing up the house with paint colors, floor types, and light fixtures of my choice! Not what's on sale. ;) (I mean sometimes what I chose is on sale but I chose it bc I like it, not solely based on price.) Also, we have a sailboat we bought cheaply last year and being on the sailboat makes me feel incredibly rich even though it is not at all fancy. :)

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#19 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM

My good knives and set of stainless steal pots and pans make me feel rich.  I feel good when ever I cook.

pumabearclan likes this.
#20 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 AM

shopping at Whole Foods, even if it's just for a scone and a coffee

#21 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM

This is probably rather backwards, but canning and preserving my owns foods makes me feel very wealthy and accomplished.  Probably because 1) not many people in my IRL acquaintence do things like that, and 2) I get organic, all-natural food for a fraction of the cost.  It's so nice to crack open a jar of wild black raspberry jam in the dead of winter.  It tastes just like summer to me, and it feels very luxurious.  I can my own jams, soups, stocks, peaches, applesauce, corn, and spaghetti sauce.  With each new thing I learn to can or preserve, I feel richer!  I think it's a bit ironic, because it used to be the folks who bought items from the store were the wealthy ones!

I'm another one for whom a full pantry = security. Going down to the basement and looking at my shelves of food just makes me feel safe.  We probably only have a 6 week supply, but it's that little margin between us and going hungry if something bad were to happen.

Another thing that just screams luxury to me is a bath in a deep tub.  We had this terrible little hovel of a rental when we first got married.  It was really shabby, but the bathroom had a whirlpool tub that was just HUGE.  DH and I both used to take baths almost every day.  Now that we've bought a home, we can't wait to tear out the cheap tub and put in something decent.  We've been here 5 years, though, and it hasn't happened yet...

HeatherAtHome likes this.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#22 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Being able to dress my daughter well. It gives me a great deal of pleasure to see her in a beautiful coat or really good shoes and knowing I was able to provide that for her. Mind you, It's not like I care how anyone else dresses; usually not even me. It's probably because we were really poor, too, growing up and I was very self-conscious about my clothes.

I also like knowing there's money in the bank.

I love treating friends to things and not always having to "split the cheque." Being generous feels rich.

We are not professionals, but we both have stable jobs. Even though I dress dd well, I am a veteran clearance shopper. We don't live with a lot of bells and whistles. We have savings and bought an old, but solid house.We have enough money to go camping every summer. We rarely go out for supper, but we eat well. Like a pp, all in all feeling rich and blessed. I am 43 and never, ever thought I would have these things.

sugarlumpkin likes this.
#23 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 AM

The day after DH got a raise, I went to a coffeehouse, didn't look at the menu or prices, and just ordered what I wanted.  I felt like a rich lady.

BlueStateMama likes this.
#24 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM

getting a latte feels rich to me. especially since we've essentially kicked our extensive starbucks habit, and so when we DO go buy coffee, it is something really nice and decadent.

treating a friend to dinner, coffee or whatever, for sure.

buying a pretty baby carrier, new. without thinking too much about it. haha. i mean, i never buy anything without agonizing a little bit, but my 3 baby carriers are awfully pretty and i bought them with about as little consideration to the price as i can imagine buying anything.

#25 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Eating steak for dinner.  Either eating out or at home, but for some reason eating steak at home for dinner feels more luxurious.  I think it's because going out is kind of a special meal anyway.  Eating at home is hum drum, normal food.  If I can afford steak for a normal at home meal we must be doing OK.

Growing up we ate a lot of casseroles, and things like spaghetti and tacos so mom could stretch out the meat to save money.  We'd occasionally have steak to celebrate something special.

This one makes very little sense, but Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies.  They were a very rare treat growing up and even knowing how relatively cheap they are and how unhealthy they are I do occasionally buy some and feel like I'm really indulging myself.

lilyka likes this.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#26 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Getting a latte or ice cream- we've cut it completely from the budget, so having a little extra to do that feels very rich.

Having stocked cupboards.

I think having juice and chips in the house makes DH feel rich- they are his two favorite things that we don't buy often since we keep a pretty tight squeeze on the grocery budget.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#27 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM

My car starts everytime.  And it has a heater that works. 

lilyka and *bejeweled* like this.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#28 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I'm another one for the full pantry. We didn't have money growing up so no luxuries but we did have food. When the money was really tight though there may not have been much food in the house (we never went hungry just didn't have much) so seeing a pantry full of food makes me feel secure. Even if I have a bank full of money and can go buy all the groceries I want not having a full pantry in the house makes me anxious until I have food HERE! I just feel more secure knowing that no matter what happens with the money the food is there. Desserts make me feel extra rich too. I make them myself so they aren't expensive but it's still an 'extra' in the food budget so we don't eat a lot of them so when I do get a nice slice of cake or a warm brownie it's luxury!

Also agree with the nice kitchen items. When dh and I first got together I had cheapo crappy kitchen stuff and hated cooking. I have acquired a few nicer things now and it makes me feel rich to have them. I love cooking and making a nice meal for my family when I have the right tools to do it and know they aren't going to break when I'm in the middle of dinner. They aren't high end expensive things but they are decent quality and I love them.

Agree with the heat or air in the house too. I've been where we had to heat just one room/area of the house to save costs or not run the ac and that is really miserable in the south. To be able to have the house comfortable and not stress over it is nice.

Ahhh so nice to see the 'little things' that count. I think one thing for dh feeling rich (and loved too) is when I pick up one of his favorites as a treat for him for his snacks or lunches like a jar of pickles or some beef jerky. Oh and I love a nice cold coke every now and then. Not healthy but sooo good on occasion and a treat.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#29 of 126 Old 02-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Another thing that just screams luxury to me is a bath in a deep tub.  We had this terrible little hovel of a rental when we first got married.  It was really shabby, but the bathroom had a whirlpool tub that was just HUGE.  DH and I both used to take baths almost every day.  Now that we've bought a home, we can't wait to tear out the cheap tub and put in something decent.  We've been here 5 years, though, and it hasn't happened yet...

Oh God yeah, I forgot that. Whan I first moved back to the US, having lived in Europe from the age of 12, the luxury, the glory of the eternal hot water! 20 years later, I still remember that first year in New York, I had a bath every night, a shower every morning and still could not believe that there was always hot water when I turned on the tap. I used to write to my brother and sign it "Greetings from the land of Eternal Hot Water"...

#30 of 126 Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Apples!

DD and I love gala apples. For a big treat in the winter I will go to Whole Foods and buy a few of those organic apples imported from New Zealand. I know it sounds silly but the idea that I can enjoy an apple from the other side of the world when it's snowing outside seems so amazing to me  =)

lilyka and les_oiseau like this.

mama to three little ladies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page