How do you save on gas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The gas prices in this area are so high!  How do you save on gas?

I have thought of:

-grouping trips

-not speeding

-reducing driving when possible

-try not to accelerate or decelerate quickly

emptying car of excess stuff

-no windows open or air conditioner on (this ones seems a bit extreme for me)

-public transit and other alternate forms of getting around when possible

Anything else?  Anyone else want to get their vent on?

#2 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Make sure your car is in optimum driving condition - tires filled, no dirty filters, all fluids at appropriate levels, etc.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#3 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Okay I live in the deep south so going anywhere in a car without the windows open or the AC on is a suicide mission. That's one way I can't save LOL.

I live in an area without public transportation, only even have one taxi service (read: one taxi!). Walking or bicycling isn't an option either since we live rurally. I do group trips though and try to limit to just one trip a week for running errands. Avoiding speeding and decel or accel quickly helps too though also using cruise when possible. Maintaining the vehicle like syn said helps too. There are some parts that can be replaced on the vehicle that help with fuel mileage too like having K&N air filters and E3 spark plugs.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Look at gasbuddy.com also for best prices on gas in your area. I try to do that too and go to the station with the best fuel price on route when we need it and fill up so we limit trips to the stations.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Well, we specifically bought a car with excellent gas mileage...I really want a Mazda5 now, but I'm not going to do it as I know gas prices are only going in one direction, so our next car is going to be electric.

We share one car, hubby takes public transportation or I stay home, it is a sacrifice but well worth the savings.  

Our car, Honda Fit, has one of those meters that shows you what gas mileage you are getting, that helps a lot.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#6 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM

cardlock gas.  We get ours at the UFA pay approx $.07/litre less than going to a station.

right now air conditioning isn't an issue, but warming the vehicles up is.  It was just -43 here so we did run them longer, but yesterday it was -13 so I only ran it for 5min to warm up.

#7 of 29 Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Plan out a route taking care of multiple errands in one efficient trip.

Make sure your tires have the appropriate amount of air for optimum gas mileage.

Plan outings for the time of day that there is the least amount of traffic.

Take the highway instead of stop-and-go traffic on streets.

Plan outings for a time of day that you don't need to use the AC as much (early morning or nighttime).

Get your windows tinted (this one's an investment).

#8 of 29 Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I gotta buy gas today and its not gonna be pretty.... ugh.

I get gas at the grocery store using my shoppers card, saves 10c/gallon

Combine trips

Keep the car in good mainteance (im due for an oil change too)

I live in AZ so we need the A/C

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 29 Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Walk as much as possible. Right now my husband works about 45 minutes away so he needs to drive but we live half a mile from a Fresh Market so if I need to pick uo a couple things I bundle up and walk. Everyone here drives, even to church. I'm in Utah, for pete's sake! There's a church on every other corner practically and people drive evey week. orngtongue.gif

We have a Costco membership and we can get gas for about 10-15 cents cheaper there than anywhere else.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#10 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Walk, walk and walk some more. And then I ride my bicycle.

We live in Sweden where gas (diesel) runs from $7.50 -- $8.00 a gallon. So, everyone walks a lot. It is nothing to walk 45 minutes to the grocery store, shop and then walk 45 minutes home. I see people everyday with big backpacks full of food or carts that can be pulled so that you don't have to carry things on your back. But really, I just drive a lot less.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#11 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM

We moved and shortened are round trip commutes from 70 miles to less than 2 miles. 

Both DH and I walk to work frequently, but one usually drives so that they can take the kids to school.  It can be hard getting a five year old to school on their own power when there is a ton of snow on the ground.

#12 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Carpool!

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

#13 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

We try to group errands together, or just walk whenever we can. I will also go a little out of my way to go shopping somewhere where I can park the car and walk from store to store, rather than having to drive from one store to another. We recently moved to shorten our drive time, and when our lease is up we are hoping to buy a house even closer to work/school. DH is a mechanic, so he makes sure our cars are in the best possible shape all the time.

We have one bigger (not gas friendly) SUV for family trips (we're only 3 humans, but we have 2 large dogs, so we had to get something that could accomodate them, too), and one small commuter car. We don't have "my" car and "dh's" car, whoever has the longer drive takes the small car, or if we are all going together we take the little car (unless we need the room for the dogs).

We get a lot of our groceries from a store that also has gas stations, and you get a discount on gas for having a rewards card, and if you spent a certain amount in the store within the month, you get an extra discount. We always buy our gas there, to get the discounts. Doesn't help the environment, lol, but does help my budget :)

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#14 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM

We bought an Echo. 

I stay home/combine trips (might go out twice a week). 

DH carpools with a guy who refuses to take money because it's on his way.

We purposely bought our 'country home' close to the town/city where DH works, where we shop and run errands.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#15 of 29 Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 PM

It's hard for me.  I drive a lot, it seems like there's always doctor appointments or dentist appointments or I have to meet with a client etc etc. 

I try to group trips, but with a 2 yr old and a 5 month old, that doesn't work out so well.  Getting them in and out of the car multiple times makes it take at least twice as long, not to mention having to nurse the baby randomly, the two year old often falls apart after just 2 errands, on a 5 errand trip.  It's rare that I can leave them at home.

Keeping up with maintainence like making sure tires are inflated, fluids are all full, that's stuff my dad, a mechanic, wouldn't let me forget.

One thing I do though is keep up with loyalty points.  I have a Speedway card, I get points per gallon of gas.  They also give bonus points.  These can then be used to get coupons for gas discounts.  I will often buy a gift card, get bonus points for that, then use that gift card to pay for my gas and get bonus points for that, and sometimes, even use the coupon for like 10c off a gallon (or whatever it is) 

#16 of 29 Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

Use the landscape. I live in a hilly area and drive stick, so I spend a LOT of time in neutral. Averaging 40+ mpg in a Vibe.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#17 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I live in an area with no public transit and you can't walk anywhere. So we keep good maintenance, try to combine trips but the most important thing was to make sure that we had the least amount of car for our needs to save on gas. I can't tell you how many places tried to talk me into buying an SUV or minivan when they saw I had kids. I ended up getting a midsize sedan. It has amazing mileage over a truck or van but still uses so much more gas than the compact I'm used to that dh has. It's been months and I still regret not getting another compact car. Sure it's a little tight when we use dh's car but everything and everyone fits just fine. I hate that I know I'm paying extra for a little elbow room in my car. It really drives me crazy. I think I'd be certifiably insane if I had bought the van ...lol.

mama to three little ladies
#18 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We're lucky in that I work from home and DH only has a 15-minute commute, so gas isn't too much of an issue for us. But I do things like:

Carpool to school

Maintain the car

Don't do jackrabbit starts

Combine errands

Walk for certain errands/outings (we live in the city center, so this is convenient)

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#19 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 PM

We are very fortunate to live six blocks from DP's office, so he almost never needs the car. Our elderly hybrid gets good gas mileage and we make it a goal to leave it parked at least three days a week. Honestly, we walk a lot. If something is less than three miles away, we walk. 

#20 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Grouping errands and having no drive days. I started going to the Y again, which means fir sure driving on m, w, f. I try to make sure tues or thur (and both if possible!) are no drive days.
#21 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

Look at gasbuddy.com also for best prices on gas in your area. I try to do that too and go to the station with the best fuel price on route when we need it and fill up so we limit trips to the stations.

We saved 17 cents a gallon doing that the other day.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#22 of 29 Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM

There is a gas buddy app, as well.

I read this article the other day - and it had some interesting things I hadn't ever heard of before, like fill-up on off days and fill-up in the morning (don't know how accurate they are):

http://chicagofree.info/2011/04/13/free-ideas-to-save-on-gas-and-get-better-mileage/.

#23 of 29 Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 AM

I have been riding public transporation a LOT lately.  I have to drive to work on the weekends..as I do home health, and I can't make it to client's houses in time..but I can do public transit most of the rest of the time which saves a lot on my tank. Luckily, I have a free bus/train pass through my college right now too :).

When I need to run errands, I try to group my stops.  So if I have to go to my work office to drop off paperwork, I also do my grocery stops or other little things I need to while I'm out. 

Just realized my car is only getting about 17 miles/ a gallon, which is terrible!  I can't afford a new car, and to fix the mileage problem, it would cost about $1000..and I'm only planning on keeping the car at max another two years while DH and I finish school, so not wanting to invest a ton into it.

If I lived in a safer area with safer drivers, I'd consider getting a bike trailer and riding my bike around town as well.  But I really feel like that's a death wish trying to get around my area!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#24 of 29 Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM

I'll borrow my mom's smaller car with better gas mileage for longer trips, unless it's too hot (it doesn't have a/c).  I left the back seats out of our minivan since we don't need them and theoretically less weight means less gas.  We don't need such a big car but we can't afford to buy one with better gas mileage and I do like being able to pick up things from freecycle with it.

A while back, I put some effort into finding doctors, dentists, optometrists, etc closer to home.  I had noticed that the ones we had been going to had been moving farther away or the ones we'd go to because friends recommended them tended to be farther away from us than our friends, themselves. 

We use gas points from the grocery store, stay home a lot, and combine trips when we can.  And I pay attention to my driving style.  I avoid rush hour traffic ordinarily since we homeschool and can do that.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#25 of 29 Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 PM

I take the Honda Fit for weekend shopping trips, as needed.  The gas mileage is very good. I am shopping on line for the few things we need that are available that way, and looking for free shipping.  Saves gas, and wear and tear.

#26 of 29 Old 04-23-2011, 07:00 PM

We have a larger family (2 adults, 4 kids) so when we are all together we need to use the minivan. The van gets around 17 mpg. I have a smaller, more fuel efficient older Honda Odessey that has been in the shop for a while (trying to find parts...). DP and I drive whatever vehicle is available and the most fuel efficient. We each have a small station wagon also. During the day while the older kids are at school I run errands with the two littles in the wagon. We don't usually need to drive the big van.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#27 of 29 Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM

We started many years ago when we chose to live in the center of town even though we would have REALLY enjoyed the country. 

We both are employed less than one mile from home, which has involved some compromises as well. 

We often bike or walk even though we do not live in a very good town for biking.  I recently bought a cargo bike which can carry passengers/groceries/etc. and have made good use of it.  We do one bigger shopping trip to the next town every other week.  We consolidate errands for less driving.

We skip a lot of recreational opportunities if they are outside of our town.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#28 of 29 Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldingoddess View Post

Our car, Honda Fit, has one of those meters that shows you what gas mileage you are getting, that helps a lot.

My car,  a Hyundai Tucson, has this feature too.  My dh and I have a competition who can get the best mileage, lol.  He always wins!  I blame it on the fact that he wears sneakers more than me because for some reason whenever I wear sneakers I get better mileage, but I usually wear flip-flops.  It has really made me more aware of when I use the most gas.  I will take the highway if at all possible because I get the best mileage at around 50-60 mph.  Driving at low speeds uses up the most gas, as well as quick accelerations.  Idleing used the most gas.  Dh taught me to not start the car till about 15 sec before I leave.  He says that modern cars don't need to "warm up".  I would previously start the car as soon as possible, then get dd buckled in and get all situated, usually taking 1-2 minutes.  But now I do all that first, then start the car, then leave.  Using the a/c does use a lot more gas, so I try to avoid it when I'm driving low speeds.

Of course, all this is minimal gas conservation at best.  Our goal is to live where we don't need a car at all or for very rare occasions.  I do not believe the future of America is in motoring.  We need to get out of the car, and back into the community.  Of course, that is not at all possible for many many people so we need other alternatives (light rail, etc.) But now I'm just rambling.....:)

Oh, ETA:  I do limit my "out of town" activities since I do have to travel often (600 miles round trip once a month).  I know that sounds completely hypocritical given my rant just now, but it is for a very good reason, and it is only temporary. Oh, and dh commutes in a motorcycle to save gas $ too.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#29 of 29 Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I noticed that our gas stations have cheaper gas on Thursday nights and followed it for a year. It works, on average I am right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page