Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ready, set, go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3-1 pancakes (and eggs after wrestling practice)
#3 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM

I want to join! Trying so hard to ground myself from eating out eat.gif...

03/01- Toast, oatmeal, grapefruit
- Left over tuna casserole and mixed fruit -- hubby took leftover pizza for lunch!
- Salad for Mommy, tuna casserole for Daddy, pizza and oranges for DD

03/02- Ham and cheese omelette, toast
- Tuna casserole ( this stuff lasts forever!)
*** going grocery shopping today!
- Beef and bean burritos with guacamole

03/03- Oatmeal, cereal, banana, yogurt
- leftovers
- Tuna steak and quinoa

03/04- Oatmeal for DD, Egg and cheese bagel for Mommy
-Veggie patty for DD, leftovers for Mommy
-Chicken Masala with jasmine rice

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#4 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM

3/1 family dinner out to help celebrate good friend's birthday

3/2 bb & sweet potato chili

3/3 family dinner out with grandpa

3/4 coconut shrimp, maple glazed squash, roasted asparagus

3/5 couple's dinner out with friends

3/6 pasta with pancetta, roasted cauliflower w/paremesan

Please don't kick me off this thread! I do see that we will be eating dinner out 3x this week. BUT, they have been planned for some time now. Next week will be better!

#5 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM

These are my dinners. We have eggs, oatmeal, congee, yogurt/granola, and fruit for breakfasts. Lunch is usually tuna and crackers, pita with hummus & vegetables, peanut butter & jam (or banana slices) sandwiches, baked sweet potato with cinnamon yogurt, or a cheese/veggie wrap.

3/1 Chicken Ratatouille

3/2 Rendag Daging with homemade pita bread and cucumber-yogurt salad

3/3 Spinach Curry over rice

3/4 Spiced Salmon with quinoa and green salad

3/7 Minestrone with garlic bread

3/8 Chicken Pot Pie

I generally try to have one chicken dish, one beef dish, one fish dish, and 2 vegetarian dishes per work week. Then we eat leftovers, sandwiches, and salads on the weekends. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#6 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Tonight: going to be dinner out but we're going to be running out the door when dh gets home from work so I'm going to have to grit my teeth on this one

03/02: chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with sweet peas, corn

03/03: jambalaya

03/04: ??

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#7 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Tonight we're having leftover soup and I'm going to make some tortillas to dip into it. Oh, I finally found the perfect tortilla recipe!

2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#8 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Subbing! We will eat out dinner 2x this month, preplanned. (We live in a tiny town w/ no fast food/take out so that's easy enough...LOL but we do go to the one cafe 2x per month for their fabulous Friday dinner special--$30 total for the three of us with soup or salad, veggie, chicken fried steak, pie and tip!) And we may eat out one lunch in town this month when doing our big grocery shopping trip mid-month.

We always eat breakfast/lunch at home and it's a variety of oatmeal/cold cereal/toast/bagels and sandwiches/soup/leftovers from dinners.

3/1: Pancakes for dinner as it's national pancake day of course!

3/2: Cabbage and Bacon

3/3: Eggs Benedict with Fauxllandaise Sauce

3/4: Our preplanned eat out night--Chicken Fried Steaks

3/5: Sandwiches from leftover Chicken Fried Steaks and salad with tomatoes from our Bountiful Basket pick-up this am

3/6: Bacon Cabbage and fruit

3:7: Spanish Rice and fruit

3:8: Grilled Sourdough Swiss Cheese Sandwiches, Tomato Soup & brus sprouts

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#9 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM

All that is planned so far...

3/1: Eggplant parmesan and carrots 

3/2 : Leftover eggplant parmesan and asparagus

3/3: Ranch breaded chicken over brown rice with spinach

3/4: Mexican rice with black beans and kale

3/5: whole wheat spagetti with a grass fed beef sauce and kale

3/6: BBQ beef brisket (grass-fed) not sure about a vegetable yet.

#10 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM

I did way better than usual cooking at home last month- we only ate out 4 times! This month I'm hoping to keep it at 4 this month (3 dinners and one lunch, all preplanned for special occasions), and to make better food at home. Last month we did well eating at home, but there was more convenience food than I'd like. Being a student takes so much time away from my family :( This quarter ends in 2 weeks, though, and I'm not taking anything next quarter, so I'm hoping I'll have time to feed my boys much better quality food. (Which should help my grocery budget, too- eating convenience foods is super expensive!!) So glad to have this thread, not only to hold myself accountable, but I also like being able to easily keep track of what we've eaten, and get some ideas from others :)

3/1 Breakfast casserole

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#11 of 120 Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Love this thread for the ideas!  (especially going to try that spinach curry sometime)

3/1  Hubby made lamb biryani  :)  my favorite-favorite Indian food.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#12 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

3-1 pancakes (and eggs after wrestling practice )

3-2 steak, haven't decided on sides yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

Subbing! We will eat out dinner 2x this month, preplanned. (We live in a tiny town w/ no fast food/take out so that's easy enough...LOL but we do go to the one cafe 2x per month for their fabulous Friday dinner special--$30 total for the three of us with soup or salad, veggie, chicken fried steak, pie and tip!) And we may eat out one lunch in town this month when doing our big grocery shopping trip mid-month.

We always eat breakfast/lunch at home and it's a variety of oatmeal/cold cereal/toast/bagels and sandwiches/soup/leftovers from dinners.

3/1: Pancakes for dinner as it's national pancake day of course!

3/2: Cabbage and Bacon

3/3: Chicken Pot Pie

3/4:

I didn't even realize that until yesterday, but for once my meal plan worked out perfectly!

#13 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I recently rejoined Mothering after a long absence (joined when preg with DD2 - she's now 7!) & would like to participate here. I am actually doing this challenge on another board I'm on, too, but what the heck! I love getting all the dinner ideas.

We also have an interesting array of eaters in our family: DH and I are omnivores, DD1 is mostly vegetarian but eats fish/seafood & loves everything mixed together and spicy, DD2 is an omnivore but eats everything plain and separate, mostly raw vegetables except baked potatoes. Help! dizzy.gif None of this is medical or allergy-related, and I just like giving my family foods they like, so I accommodate it. I am getting to be an expert at "modular meals."

Sun. - DH cooked up a pot of white beans & two chickens for the week. I cooked dinner, which was pasta bake w/ ricotta, mozzarella & red sauce

Mon. - Met new cousin, so pizza

Tue. - Rice, veg curry or cut-up raw veg & chicken

Wed. - Tacos w/ chicken & frozen pintos (cooked from dry - I started doing this recently due to concern over BPA in cans. I still buy some things in cans, but am avoiding canned beans and tomatoes, which we use a lot)

Thu. - White bean soup from the weekend beans that are left

I should add that my goal is not to never eat out, but to be very selective and conscious about it and planning to have easy stuff in the pantry to make rather than "just picking something up" while we're out or using the "I'm too tired" excuse (which, believe me, is *completely* valid sometimes, but I was overusing it!)

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#14 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Oh, wow. I see now that I actually joined 2 yrs. before DD2 was born!

#15 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I should add that my goal is not to never eat out, but to be very selective and conscious about it and planning to have easy stuff in the pantry to make rather than "just picking something up" while we're out or using the "I'm too tired" excuse (which, believe me, is *completely* valid sometimes, but I was overusing it!)

This is me, too, especially the bolded part!

And welcome back  :)

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#16 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM

So I went to the Harris Teeter in town (the nice, clean grocery store) and while it was definitely more expensive, the selection was so nice :) I spent $230 for at least 3 weeks of groceries and $60 of that was meat, $30 was juice/drinks, and $50 was fresh produce. I think I will go there for my meats/fish and go back to Walmart for my dry goods. Even with my new VIC card, the prices couldn't compare to Walmart and Aldi's. I'm not excited about having to go to mulitple stores with my DD in tow... but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either!  Any tricks for keeping a toddler occupied while shopping?? She gets very bored and annoyed fast! I've tried giving her cheddar bunnies and random toys, but all that wears off about every aisle haha.

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#17 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

So I went to the Harris Teeter in town (the nice, clean grocery store) and while it was definitely more expensive, the selection was so nice :) I spent $230 for at least 3 weeks of groceries and $60 of that was meat, $30 was juice/drinks, and $50 was fresh produce. I think I will go there for my meats/fish and go back to Walmart for my dry goods. Even with my new VIC card, the prices couldn't compare to Walmart and Aldi's. I'm not excited about having to go to mulitple stores with my DD in tow... but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either!  Any tricks for keeping a toddler occupied while shopping?? She gets very bored and annoyed fast! I've tried giving her cheddar bunnies and random toys, but all that wears off about every aisle haha.

I always go (or send dh) to 2 different stores.  Our little store because the sale prices are so good and Fred Meyer because they run some amazing sales.  Plus I just love that store!  And dh doesn't ever mind running in there for things on his lunch break so he can get sushi while he's there!

This may get my mama crown taken away, but I loathe shopping with my kids.  Unless I absolutely can't help it, I never take them both.  One or the other is fine, with both, they go crazy.  And I'm definitely not above bribes when it comes to grocery shopping.  So I'm not really any help there.

I'm realizing this month is going to for sure be a challenge.  DS1's bday is this month and he's got wrestling meets every weekend that end right at lunch time.  Plus twice a week practices, which mean he's starving and is eating tons more.

#18 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

I always go (or send dh) to 2 different stores.  Our little store because the sale prices are so good and Fred Meyer because they run some amazing sales.  Plus I just love that store!  And dh doesn't ever mind running in there for things on his lunch break so he can get sushi while he's there!

This may get my mama crown taken away, but I loathe shopping with my kids.  Unless I absolutely can't help it, I never take them both.  One or the other is fine, with both, they go crazy.  And I'm definitely not above bribes when it comes to grocery shopping.  So I'm not really any help there.

I'm realizing this month is going to for sure be a challenge.  DS1's bday is this month and he's got wrestling meets every weekend that end right at lunch time.  Plus twice a week practices, which mean he's starving and is eating tons more.

Well, you certainly won't get a word of criticism from me! I'll do almost anything to go grocery shopping alone, I've even gone at like 10 at night before, after DS was asleep!

To MaryElizabeth: Toys and special snacks don't work very well for DS, either. I usually have to find things in the store for him to play with or look at. He gets bored every couple of minutes and then I have to find something else to entertain him. Then by the time I get to the checkout, I have like a dozen items in the cart that I'm like "oh, not buying that..." that they have to put away for us. My best strategy when I have to take him with me is to be super organized. I know exactly what I need, and how many, I get any coupons ready ahead of time, so when I get there I just go through the store as fast as I can and grab what I need. Sometimes turning it into a "how fast can we get done here" game helps DS get through without a meltdown.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#19 of 120 Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM

At least I'm not the only one! She is good for like 15 minutes and then... not so much :) I've even been known to carry a pocket full of organic suckers to get through the trip<--- eek! But, a mama's gotta do... what a mama's gotta do Sheepish.gif

I can't believe how much we spend on beverages, and while that has gone up a lot since Ive been preggers (I can't stop drinking Simply Apple!) I do justify buying the Naked Green Machine and C-Boost juices for DD....

I just really hate grocery shopping, so having to go to more than one store is soooooooo annoying!!!

#20 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronsMama View Post

This is me, too, especially the bolded part!

And welcome back  :)

Ditto! & welcome!

#21 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 AM

3/1 Breakfast casserole

3/2 Cheesy chicken and rice casserole

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#22 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

3-1 pancakes (and eggs after wrestling practice )

3-2 steak, pasta

3-3 baked trout, roasted veggies

#23 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM

I usually don't take my kids food shopping either. I go during the day while they're at school, so I can compare stuff or go to 2 stores & it's not a hassle.

Saturday might be a challenge for not eating out - we have an activity all day & will probably get home around 5:30 or so. I'll have to think of something quick & easy.

#24 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm in! It's amazing to me that I'm the one who originally started this challenge, yet I have NEVER stuck to it! Arrrrgh! Well, good intentions, right? ;)

Anyway, our budget is pretty tight right now - we're trying to save nearly $5,000 in 6 months (to finish our emergency fund), so the grocery budget was pretty much the first thing to be lowered...and eating out, well, practically nixed (we do get $50/two weeks for "fun"...but who wants to blow all their fun money on eating? lol!).

3/1 - coconut curry rice (had lots of garbanzo beans and veggies in it...wasn't just rice!), broccoli

3/2 - tempeh burgers w/ spuds (all homemade)

3/3 - baked tofu, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans homemade pizza - forgot to marinate the tofu in time and we have a busy night. Oh well! That'll be for tomorrow now :)

3/4 - baked tofu, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans

*I wont be posting our breakfast/lunches/snacks...but they'll all be homemade (or at least made at home, heh)...it's just, well, they are never really fabulous. Breakfast is usual breakfasty stuff - pancakes, eggs, toast, cereal, etc. Lunch is often leftovers. See? Boring!

#25 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM

I'd say you're doing pretty well. My menu looks the same, except DDs sometimes have the same thing for breakfast & for lunch - DD1 loves savory breakfasts, like me, so she'll even eat curry & DD2 likes her PB sandwich in toast form for breakfast sometimes... And homemade snacks? Maybe 50% here hide.gif Maybe that's next after cutting down eating out - cutting down storebought snacks like crackers. I need to just start making something like muffins regularly, although I'm a poor baker. What do you make?

#26 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM

I need to cut out the store bought cereal. It is handy occasionally, but I'm a big pig and tend to binge on it...darn you 'honey bunches of oats'! Same goes with crackers and whatnot.

I usually try to have muffins on hand, as well as homemade granola bars and always fresh fruit - that's our go-to snack. I'm not very creative though, sadly.

DS (20mo's) makes it hard for me because he almost literally eats nothing. He nurses whenever he wants, but he doesn't consistently eat any one food item. I kind of just buy things as I think he'll eat them - so if all he's eating is blueberries (like yesterday), I'll go buy a pint (thankfully, a local discount store has them for $1.50/ea right now!). Last week it was cheese crackers. Yeah. Not the healthiest, but I'm seriously at my wits end with him. It's gotten to the point where if he'd eat junk food - like a brownie or ice cream, I'd let him...just so he could get the calories...but he doesn't even eat those! Okay, that's another thread entirely...moving on, lol!

#27 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I need to just start making something like muffins regularly, although I'm a poor baker. What do you make?

I cannot bake.  I have one recipe that I use for muffins/breads that is so easy even I haven't messed it up.  I try to make cookies sometimes, but they rarely turn out great.  I usually make a batch of banana or zucchini muffins and keep them in the freezer.  I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested, you can use it for any kind of muffin or quick bread.  I also have the best and easiest brownie recipe (not healthy of course).  Otherwise, I just don't bake.

#28 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't usually keep track of breakfasts, snacks, and lunches, unless we eat out for those meals, which is very rare. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, toast, eggs on weekends, cereal (which I'm trying to move away from) and sometimes muffins. Lunch is almost always leftovers, sometimes sandwiches (egg salad, tuna salad, pb &j) or quesadillas. Snacks are homemade as often as I can (which isn't as often as I'd like while I'm in school) we like to make muffins, granola bars, hummus (to dip veggies in), we also eat a lot of fresh fruit. I'm not much of a baker, either, but I'm getting better :) I wish I made more stuff at home like tortillas and all of our snacks (I buy pretzels and sometimes crackers) but I've only got so much time...maybe next month when things are calmer I'll start working toward that.

3/1 Breakfast casserole

3/2 Cheesy chicken and rice casserole

3/3 Lunch out with DH (planned ahead so DS and I could get a little tour of DH's new work)

Dinner was Chicken and cheese quesadillas

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#29 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Last night my husband made spaghetti.
Tonight we had soup. I could eat soup every day! orngbiggrin.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#30 of 120 Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

Love this thread for the ideas!  (especially going to try that spinach curry sometime)

3/1  Hubby made lamb biryani  :)  my favorite-favorite Indian food.

Oooh, sounds yummy! I'd love the recipe :)

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page