MIL is kicking us out. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

My question is- why can't we just put everything left over into savings?  Not for a whatever fund (and not for eating out or anything like that!), but for car issues or the occasional birthday gift, etc?  That's what my mother always did.  It worked out.  Like.. the City sticker.  It comes once/year, we know that.  The money we'd be using for it would be from savings (because $10/mo or whatever would be going to savings for it).  Why not just work it out of the budget and just take the money from the savings at that time?

You can and should put everything leftover into savings, and you should save each month for expected big expenses. HOWEVER, your current debt load indicates that you and your husband have really bad spending habits. You have had very few financial responsibilities, but have still found a way to spend all your money and get into serious debt. Going cold turkey on bad spending is really hard. Most of us here have tried it and failed, and that's why we're trying to help you learn from our past mistakes. If you don't have any cash set aside for mad money for each of you, there is a HUGE temptation to just keep using credit cards to cover little things. Like a 99 cent hamburger here. Or tossing an extra candy bar in the with the groceries there. Unless you are the flattest of flat broke, don't plan to pay for groceries with credit cards. Put all your credit cards except the one that has the best interest rate in a baggie of water and freeze them. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT incur any more debt than is absolutely required for your survival. In fact, if you can put your utilities on auto pay with your credit cards, let that be the only thing you charge each month and freeze all your cards. I think charging your utilities is a much safer use of the credit card than groceries because you can't accidentally overspend on your utilities - which you can very very easily with groceries, or clothes, or any of those other things. You have in the budget the money to pay back the charges for the utilities already, but if something comes up, you can pay the monthly minimum on the card, take care of your emergency, and not have to worry about your utilities being shut off for non-payment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this idea yet, but OP, what about getting rid of the car and doing a combo of public transport and car-sharing (I'm thinking for the times you need to go with your dd and her anxiety levels are running high, or those few times when for whatever reason public transit just doesn't cut it).  We have done that in the past and it can work really well.  Also when the winter is over can you guys get around by bicycle?  Would it be too far for dh to bike to work?  Could you take some of the money allocated to car expenses and buy a used kid bike trailer?  So instead of buying a monthly transit pass in the summer you mostly bike and just pay for individual trips as needed?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#123 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

I would punch an old lady in the face for an apartment that cheap even where we live!! I wouldn't really do that but 750 is amazingly low.

biglaugh.gifSo true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Im glad you are getting out.

I just wanted to add that you will most likely get more than $300-$400 of SNAP benefits. My DH works full time and we only have one child and we get $525.00 a month.

I think it really depends on each individual situation or qualifications differs per state. When my husband was laid off and our only income at the time was unemployment, we were a family of four and we only got $200 a month.

autismribbon.gif

#124 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

I would punch an old lady in the face for an apartment that cheap even where we live!! I wouldn't really do that but 750 is amazingly low.

I had to threadjack to tell you that this made me snort.

Momsteader likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#125 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post

I can guess that the car would increase her DH's work hours on two accounts:

- Less commute time, so he can spend more time at work that he would otherwise be commuting. Sure, he could have the commute eat into his family time instead of his work time, but it sounds like he's motivated to spend extra time at work if it comes out of commute time instead.

- He could be looking at making a sale but, darn, he has to leave and catch the bus. If he had a car, he could stay as long as it takes to complete the sale and then head on outta there.

I don't have an opinion on whether the car would actually be worth it or not, but I can see the reason why it could affect his paycheck. Maybe not enough to be worthwhile, but certainly it would affect it.

Yes, that pretty much sums up what I meant.  Since he is commissioned, it's even more important that he gets to close a sale- sometimes he gets stuck waiting around for the mechanics to do an estimate and having a car and him being able to zip home from work would be very valuable to us.  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#126 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

Quote:

$750 for a two bedroom in a good area of Chicago is dirt cheap, almost unheard of. There might be less expensive apartments out there, but the chances are they will be in dangerous areas - as in rampant gangs, drugs, burglaries, etc. Unfortunately, if WCG wants to stay in Chicago $750 is probably the best she can find.

That is an amazing price, I was paying $1150 8 years ago when I left Chicago and I was in a good area but nothing crazy fancy (Andersonville for Chicago peeps). She is not going to get any cheaper than that.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#127 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post

That is an amazing price, I was paying $1150 8 years ago when I left Chicago and I was in a good area but nothing crazy fancy (Andersonville for Chicago peeps). She is not going to get any cheaper than that.

That seems pretty cheap for andersonville! :)

I do feel that I got a GREAT deal.  I have one friend who lives in the far south suburbs and she's in school and working and very, very busy!  I have a stepdad who will actually live blocks away from us when we move and also DHs uncle and his wife live nearby (and she is hugely supportive! she really really distances herself from my inlaws as much as possible).

Thank you everyone for the congrats.

I'm still figuring out the car & phone situations.

Right now we're getting some packing done (of books, decor, etc) so that we can have more time to figure out logistics of things and set up utility companies, etc.

So we signed the lease today and paid the first month's rent, and we'll get the keys and pay the security deposit the day before our move-in date, which is March 26th (they ended up giving us that last week free, we're paid thru April). 

Also- about the resources- thank you EVERYONE!  I am writing everything down on my notepad (and getting phone numbers from web sites!) and I'll look into everything this coming week.

#128 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#129 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM

WCM-CTA monthly passes are at least $98. It may be higher now... we haven't paid for a monthly pass in at least 6 months.

#130 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Oh- I forgot- if your child is receiving services through early intervention- there may be more help in terms of transportation for those appointments.  Also, on the social anxiety front, minimize it.  Be supportive, but being in crowds and around people is something she will need to learn to tolerate, so the bus would actually be a really positive thing, even if not so easy. 

I'm so happy for you!

#131 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Oh thats so great that you are moving!  I have a few friends who work 2-3 days/week waiting tables or hosting for a restaurant too and they like it b'c it gives them time to earn a little $ while their husbands are with their kids.  My sister made up some nice fliers and delivered them to surrounding apartments, condos and houses when she lived in Chicago and ended up being able to charge enough per home-cleaning that it worked out to 25-30$ per hour!  And she could pretty much work out her own schedule.  She didn't own a car so she needed places close enough that she could roll her rolling work cart to each job, she even brought a lightweight vacuum cleaner.  Something like these jobs could really help you feel less stressed, it seems.  I know your dh is doing well at work, but, what would happen if he had a few pretty low commission weeks in a month?  That seems too stressful.  It may feel nice to be able to earn a little along with your dh's wage.  Whatever you do, I hope this is the beginning of an empowering and good future for your family.

(*** I have a degree in graphic design and have helped two mothers here on this board, for no charge, in my years on mdc.  If you'd like, I could make you a flier for cleaning or babysitting or whatever in a format that you could send directly to Kinko's, they print b/w for a very low price, and shades of grey are b/w, so you can end up with a very presentable postcard promo for cheap.  PM me if you're interested.)

Purple*Lotus likes this.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#132 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgracefrank View Post

WCM-CTA monthly passes are at least $98. It may be higher now... we haven't paid for a monthly pass in at least 6 months.

They are $86 a month according to the website. Or they can but weeklies depending on what their needs are are.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#133 of 195 Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i think if you have had the small car for awhile and know it will last awhile (my dh is pretty car smart so he knows when a car is a keeper) then i say keep it.

congrats on getting the apartment! i bet it felt great :)

mama to one '07 and one '09
#134 of 195 Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 AM

I wanted OP to read this again.  Fabulous advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post

You can and should put everything leftover into savings, and you should save each month for expected big expenses. HOWEVER, your current debt load indicates that you and your husband have really bad spending habits. You have had very few financial responsibilities, but have still found a way to spend all your money and get into serious debt. Going cold turkey on bad spending is really hard. Most of us here have tried it and failed, and that's why we're trying to help you learn from our past mistakes. If you don't have any cash set aside for mad money for each of you, there is a HUGE temptation to just keep using credit cards to cover little things. Like a 99 cent hamburger here. Or tossing an extra candy bar in the with the groceries there. Unless you are the flattest of flat broke, don't plan to pay for groceries with credit cards. Put all your credit cards except the one that has the best interest rate in a baggie of water and freeze them. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT incur any more debt than is absolutely required for your survival. In fact, if you can put your utilities on auto pay with your credit cards, let that be the only thing you charge each month and freeze all your cards. I think charging your utilities is a much safer use of the credit card than groceries because you can't accidentally overspend on your utilities - which you can very very easily with groceries, or clothes, or any of those other things. You have in the budget the money to pay back the charges for the utilities already, but if something comes up, you can pay the monthly minimum on the card, take care of your emergency, and not have to worry about your utilities being shut off for non-payment.

#135 of 195 Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post

They are $86 a month according to the website. Or they can but weeklies depending on what their needs are are.

You seem to be right. My budget says differently, but perhaps I made a mistake. I know they were $86 when my family moved to the city in '08, but then the fares went up, and so did (at least I thought), the CTAPlus Card monthly fee. Hmmm.

#136 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgracefrank View Post

You seem to be right. My budget says differently, but perhaps I made a mistake. I know they were $86 when my family moved to the city in '08, but then the fares went up, and so did (at least I thought), the CTAPlus Card monthly fee. Hmmm.

I know they went up from $75 to $86.  I think fares went up to $2.25 before that (and right before that they eliminated transfers.  Boo!).  I'm still throwing around transportation options with my DH.

Today I'm taking the opportunity to hit the thrift store and see if I can some more "home stuff".  Anyone have any more input as to what I'd need?

I have:
Large-Med. Pot

Medium Skillet

Various spoons/spatulas/etc

Various pyrex bowls, baking pans (loaf, casserole), etc.

tools

hangers

toilet brush (almost new) & plunger which I'll clean and sanitize before we move

dinnerware & flatware

can opener 

cutting board

peeler

broom,mop,bucket,etc

doormat

I need:

Large measuring cup

small pot

stock pot

table & chairs

cheap curtains/drapes because we only have 2 windows here and can bring our blinds but there we will have 10!!! windows.

bath mat

shower curtain & rings

kettle

colander

oven mitts

am I missing anything obvious that I haven't listed?

#137 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Most apartments that I've rented (actually all) have come with some sort of window coverings (usually blinds.) I would also throw your list on Freecycle and see what you can get for free. It's worth a shot before buying things.

#138 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

Most apartments that I've rented (actually all) have come with some sort of window coverings (usually blinds.) I would also throw your list on Freecycle and see what you can get for free. It's worth a shot before buying things.

Good idea!  And when we went there there were no window coverings.  I checked google maps and the tenants that lived there at that time had sheets thrown up in the windows, so they likely took those with them.

Great idea about freecycle though!

#139 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM

I'd also hit up a Dollartree store.  I've gotten things like shower curtain and rings, measuring cups, colanders, etc. there.  The quality isn't great but it can work until you have extra money.  If you can't find or don't have the money for a shower mat just use an old hand towel.  That's what we use and it works just fine.  The table and chairs will probably be your biggest expense so definitely follow Polliwog's advice and put it on freecycle.  Good luck today!

lather, rinse, repeat
#140 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

Ditto that. You may be able to get lots of those things for free, those are exactly the kinds of things people tend to have available!

I'd hold off on curtains for the first month or two and then get some cheap ones if you have the money to spare. You could boil water in a pot so you don't really need a kettle AND 3+ pots... I find 1-2 skillets & 2 different sized pots are plenty. Actually, I would buy as little as possible at this point... as long as you have beds/blankets, a few basic cooking tools, and toilet paper (or family cloth!!) then you should be fine for the first few weeks... then you'll have a better idea of exactly what you need & what you can do without (as well as a more realistic idea of how much money you really have to spend on these things). For me at least, it's very tempting to get things like table, curtains, etc. to make the new place feel 'homey' but it's easy to overspend (even at the thrift store!) and you really don't have the money to spare right now. So I'd 'shop' on Freecycle for the next month or two. Or check out the curb on trash day (don't make fun of me, half of the stuff in our house came from people's garbage...)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#141 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM

I'd wait until you actually move in to start buying stuff.  Why waste more money on things you might not end up needing?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#142 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

To the lurkers who are trolling elsewhere, please stop.  It's not right.  Stop making assumptions.  I *am* moving.  I'm NOT lying to you guys. I'm seeking support.  I'm admitting I was being stupid and naive but I'm trying to move FORWARD.

#143 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I'd wait until you actually move in to start buying stuff.  Why waste more money on things you might not end up needing?

True, but I know I'm going to need stuff like pots and pans for cooking, and a kitchen table to eat on, kwim? 

Our current kitchen table is bolted to the wall and had bar-height chair-stool things that folded (space saving attempt!) which we just sold.  We obviously can't bolt a table to the wall if we're renting and we're just going to leave the table here because it's a little scratched up and DHs father can use it as a bar anyhow. 

We're also leaving our fridge behind.

#144 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Can I ask why you are spending money on things you clearly don't need?  You are in severe debt, owe money to your MIL, to the CC and have just wiped out 2 weeks pay to get this apt. You are going to incur moving costs, you have only estimated your utilities-are you factoring that they could be more? Moving to new a place is risky from and hidden expense aspect.  To go out and spend money you don't have seems frivolous,  lacks of fiscal responsibility and show you continue to act in poor judgment.

Why do you need more kitchen stuff if the stuff you have has sufficed so far? Why do you *need* a kitchen table and chairs, those are clearly a *want*. If the previous tenants got by with sheets on the window why don't you do the same and in only those rooms that are critical. Does everyone window need covering? Used sheets at the thrift store will run you a dollar.  You don't *need* window treatments.

I would think long and hard about what you are doing.  Falling behind on this rent could get you evicted, falling behind on your utilities could get them shut off.  You won't have a MIL to take advantage of this time around.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#145 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM

I just read you are leaving a table behind because it is SCRATCHED??? yikes.gif  really??

And I assume you own the fridge because you said "our" fridge and you are leaving that behind too???? If your new place has a fridge why are you not selling your old one for CASH?? confused.gif

My head is absolutely dizzy.gif

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#146 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

I just read you are leaving a table behind because it is SCRATCHED??? yikes.gif  really??

And I assume you own the fridge because you said "our" fridge and you are leaving that behind too???? If your new place has a fridge why are you not selling your old one for CASH?? confused.gif

no. she said she's leaving the table because it is bolted to the wall. cut her some slack.
#147 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

True, but I know I'm going to need stuff like pots and pans for cooking, and a kitchen table to eat on, kwim? 

Our current kitchen table is bolted to the wall and had bar-height chair-stool things that folded (space saving attempt!) which we just sold.  We obviously can't bolt a table to the wall if we're renting and we're just going to leave the table here because it's a little scratched up and DHs father can use it as a bar anyhow. 

We're also leaving our fridge behind.

In your situation, I would have picnics on the floor with the kids rather than buying a table. Make it a fun thing. smile.gif Hopefully you can get a lot of these things for free anyway but I wouldn't buy them, you can't afford them and they are not true *needs*... I am so glad you are making such a huge effort here but I think you are overestimating how much 'extra' money you will have and the last thing I want for you is for you to end up on the street because you bought a table & curtains rather than saving every last cent for rent, food, & utilities! hug2.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#148 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can I ask why you are spending money on things you clearly don't need?  You are in severe debt, owe money to your MIL, to the CC and have just wiped out 2 weeks pay to get this apt. You are going to incur moving costs, you have only estimated your utilities-are you factoring that they could be more? Moving to new a place is risky from and hidden expense aspect.  To go out and spend money you don't have seems frivolous,  lacks of fiscal responsibility and show you continue to act in poor judgment.

Why do you need more kitchen stuff if the stuff you have has sufficed so far? Why do you *need* a kitchen table and chairs, those are clearly a *want*. If the previous tenants got by with sheets on the window why don't you do the same and in only those rooms that are critical. Does everyone window need covering? Used sheets at the thrift store will run you a dollar.  You don't *need* window treatments.

I would think long and hard about what you are doing.  Falling behind on this rent could get you evicted, falling behind on your utilities could get them shut off.  You won't have a MIL to take advantage of this time around.

Everything was going to be from the thrift store.  I can get a set of curtians for 90 cents.

#149 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Just a suggestion, short of buying a kitchen table which is something you definitely don't need at the moment.

DH and I got by fine for years in our tiny apartment never having a kitchen table. We had meals sitting on the floor around the coffee table in the living room. It was fine and pleasant. If we had people over dinner we all sat on the floor and it was just fine.

Also curtains, meh we have used tapestries and sheets etc for those too. Does it look classy? Not really but who cares about that when you have your own place you know?

#150 of 195 Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No,it's bolted to the wall.

leaving the fridge because we obviously owe MIL a debt and leaving behind a 1,000 dollar fridge will cut into that.  Clearly we need to speak with her about that but if she doesn't want it we'll surely sell it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page