MIL is kicking us out. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 195 Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

Oh, I was thinking too, that colleges at the end of semester are a great place for freebies. Lots of students toss their college stuff as they're moving off to start new jobs or get different apartments. If you can get by with the bare minimum until the 1st or 2nd week of May, you should be able to find some great things for free.

This is really true!.  I was an RA for a couple years, and you would be amazed at what people abandon and give away at the end of the year. 

Juvysen and HeatherAtHome like this.
#182 of 195 Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 AM

We moved last year with about the amount of kitchen stuff you're moving with (because it was cross-country and we didn't want to pay to ship all the big stuff), and it has worked out very well. Also it's a lot faster to do the dishes!

#183 of 195 Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

This is really true!.  I was an RA for a couple years, and you would be amazed at what people abandon and give away at the end of the year. 

My mom worked at my high school and would come home with a ton of stuff left in lockers at the end of the year.  Jeans, coats, shoes, umbrellas, etc.  The end of the school year felt like Christmas to my sisters and I!

lather, rinse, repeat
#184 of 195 Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i love this. dh and i are also young (25/27) and it was so funny when we started out we were in a one bedroom with a twin bed and we made the best of it. luckily we worked in a restaurant so we just ate at work smile.gif

its so exciting to be in your own place even if you have nothing! you have a space that is yours. and the less you have is actually better (i am in the middle of major clutter cleaning)

i also suggest the dave ramsey steps because honestly no one taught me about life insurance, health insurance, 401ks/IRAs, etc. it has really helped give me some clarity of we need to do for us and our kids to have a secure future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

OP, I just wanted to say don't get discouraged as you read through these posts talking about how you really don't need any of the stuff you listed that you think is important. Everyone here is just trying to help you.

I have literally been in the same position you are now, moving into a new place, thinking I needed tons of stuff  to make "home". Well DH and I went out and had our little spending party and it was fun but guess what we were DIRT BROKE. We couldn't afford it. So yeah all the fun kitchen stuff I bought was really great when we had no food to make with said stuff...

Your immediate reaction is, well this is what I need I have to go shopping! I think that is what people are concerned about. With that attitude it will be damn near impossible to ever save money. I am not better, ask me how fast DH and I spent his tax refund which was quite large...It is embarrassing but you know what we learned the hard way and today we are taking babysteps (literally, another Dave Ramsey convert here) to get out of debt and have savings and be happy because we aren't stressed about money ALL THE TIME...

Seriously, just wait until you are in your place, see what you can make do with. I have gotten fairly creative about what I use for certain thing. I used a spare (clean) window screen as a pasta strainer for some time. It worked and it was all we had, so yeah there are ways to get around things.

I think you will be alright, I really do. I just worry because I have been where you are and I get a major emotional high from shopping so I am the same way. As soon as I have an extra buck in my pocket it is very hard for me not to scroll the list in my head of all the goodies I want and pick which one to buy...

Let us know how you are doing and please remember people only want the best for you and your family!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#185 of 195 Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Megan, I'm happy that you're taking this awesome step; you've received so much sound advice on this thread.  The one thing I wanted to add is that you can have friends!  Come to the weekly meet up we have (PM Tracy or I for more info).  We would love to spend time with you and help you in any way possible!  It is so important that you make connections in the city and network as much as possible.  HTH.  

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#186 of 195 Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

No joke!  I got an entire silverware set, and a silverware holder for free - b/c someone was engaged and didn't need it anymore.  It's not the best of quality, but its decent, and it works!

#187 of 195 Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At any rate OP- what do you intend to study, and when will you be done? 

I'm taking a CNA course, which will last 8wks, and starts at the end of the month.  I've been a bit busy, sorry I haven't been on as much.

Juvysen likes this.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#188 of 195 Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Keep at it OP! You can do it!

#189 of 195 Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Hope you enjoy the CNA course and you find a job after.  I just took it last semester, and liked it (though the clinicals were a lot of work).  I have yet to take the test to be certified, though I may do so in the near future.  Glad you'll have that option, and hope the moving out goes smoothly.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#190 of 195 Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

That's a good choice. Jobs for CNAs are usually fairly easy to come by no matter where you live so it's a great backup and doesn't take nearly as long as some other things. I've seen quite a few places that will hire as a CNA and then help with financial aid and funding to proceed into nursing if it's something the person is interested in so that's good too. Good luck.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#191 of 195 Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good luck in school!

#192 of 195 Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 AM

You'll be a great CNA.

#193 of 195 Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  School is going great :) Our new apartment is just dandy also ;) 

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#194 of 195 Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM

CNA (anything healthcare related really) seems like a great choice. There always seems to be demand.

Praying that things continue to go well.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#195 of 195 Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM

I just spent an afternoon (on and off!) reading your thread.

glad things are going well (you got in school already?!) and wanted to offer a suggestion.

Go to Mint.com. It's a free online budgeting program. It connects with your cc's and bank acct's and categories every penny you spend so you can really see where everything is going.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page