Business Grants for Women? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do small business grants for women really exist and where is the best place to look for them? Thanks so much! joy.gif

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM

This list of resources isn't female-specific but they should have women-only grants listed.  http://www.score.org/fc_17.html

If you are considering going into business for yourself, SCORE is a fantastic resource.  When I first started launching my business a few years ago I spent countless hours on this website.  Definitely worth the time investment.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 AM

You should go to your library and ask about what resources they have.  If they are large enough, they will have a subscription to a service called The Foundation Center.  This is the largest database of private granting agencies in the United States.  I use it a lot for my job (which is writing grant proposals).

Each state also puts out an annual book of grants within that geographical region.  This can also be found at your library (or inter-library loaned, probably).  There are other resources at your library, too, I'm sure.  Just ask.

I wouldn't mess with general internet searches.  Too much crap to wade through and a waste of time.  Unless you know of a specific organization that supports your cause, it's not worth it.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post

This list of resources isn't female-specific but they should have women-only grants listed.  http://www.score.org/fc_17.html

If you are considering going into business for yourself, SCORE is a fantastic resource.  When I first started launching my business a few years ago I spent countless hours on this website.  Definitely worth the time investment.

Good luck!

Second the SCORE recommendation.

Also, look for a Small Business Development Center in your area.  Tons of free information, support and services are offered through this agency.

When I was in banking, I regularly worked with Small Business Administration loans and some of those packages had grants attatched to them and nearly all of those grants were not actual cash money but for services, like a Ben Franklin grant for $10,000 in accounting fees.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

User Tag List