What's your favorite way to make extra money? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just thought this might be a fun thread  smile.gif

I'm selling books right now. Certainly not my favorite ... it's a serious PITA actually!

We made good money selling off things at the flea market though. It was really fun to get rid of the clutter but we have nothing left to sell now ... lol. 

I wish I was good at making crafts and such but I'm really lousy at that sort of thing. I know people who have a lot of fun selling things they knit or sew on etsy. 

Ideas?

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Craigslist, garage sales are the ones for me.  I am not a good salesman with direct sales.  So online is great for me.

Sometimes I shop at thrift stores to find cheap things I could sell for more.  Sometimes they way underprice.  I used to do ebay but I started boycotting when they raised fees.

We are moving this summer, so I will have a garage sale during city-wides.  I live in a small town though, and people from neighboring towns come over when we have our city-wide.  It can be quite busy where you can barely drive down the street due to all the parked cars.

We will be decluttering and downsizing to prepare for our move, so I should have quite a few things to sell.  Plus if I have my own garage sale, it prevents me from hitting up other garage sales and bringing home more stuff that I don't actually need.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#3 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also like Cragislist to make a little money here and there. I wish I was artsy too! greensad.gif

#4 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm crafty, but I feel daunted by dealing with Etsy.  I've thought about doing a bunch of crafting in the spring and then trying to sell it garage-sale style in the summer.  I have no idea if that would work though!  Do people post hand-crafted stuff on Craigslist?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Pianojazzgirl, I've seen people post homemade slings on Craigslist.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#6 of 25 Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I live in a non-crunchy area, and I have seen upcycled wool longies and also knitted and felted longies.  New and used.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#7 of 25 Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I do a lot of stuff, garage sales, craigslist sales, selling books to buyback sites, online surveys, just about anything that makes cash lol.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#8 of 25 Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM

I do ebay, kijiji, books on Amazon marketplace, take the kids old things to the consignment store, resell the occasional steal from the thrift store.  I also do online surveys.  It seems like piddly amounts at the time, but it really does all add up.

Happy single mama of Girlchild (10) and Boychild (9).
#9 of 25 Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Selling books on amazon, and occasionally posting something on craigslist.

I made $80ish in the last two days from books on amazon! Woo!

#10 of 25 Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

Pianojazzgirl, I've seen people post homemade slings on Craigslist.

Oh interesting.  I've actually made a fair number of mei tais over the years to gift to people (and was commissioned to make one once!).  Maybe I should think about selling them.  There's a pretty big babywearing culture where I live too.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#11 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 AM

I sell our extra chicken eggs. I did craigs for a while,but really hated  having people come to the house.

MaryElizabeth likes this.
#12 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 AM

I should start selling books! Besides Amazon what is there?

I freelance write : ) And I have a bunch of decluttering so I'm going to be posting on CL 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#13 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

I should start selling books! Besides Amazon what is there?

I freelance write : ) And I have a bunch of decluttering so I'm going to be posting on CL 

I sell books on Half.com and love it. I think it's a much better format than Amazon.
#14 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM

sell books on half.com, craigslist and ebay stuff

We've bought storage units that go to auction because the owners haven't paid the monthly fees on the self storage place, then sell the items bought on ebay, craigslist, yard sale or consign to antique store.

Collect scrap metal and alum cans from other people's trash and take to the scrap yard. (you'd want to separte by metal type to get most cash from it other than taking it all in as steel)

Dumpster dived (both residentail and retail) and thrift store purchases and sold items on craigslist, ebay or yard sale.

Took a part time job cleaning office buildings on the weekend, delivered flyers and such door to door in the neighborhood (Craigslist gigs section is great) 

#15 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM

A couple people posted that they do online surveys for extra cash-- how do you go about finding these?

#16 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

I sell the hcg diet locally, make a couple hundred a week...which has really been helping lately...

Single mom to 2 boys
#17 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM

I sold some of my pre-pregnancy, super tiny clothes to a local second hand shop that sells brand name clothes to college kids. It was a one time thing that made me $90 but I'm a minimalist so i don't have a big wardrobe.

I'm working on a few sewing projects and I'm going to sell them at the local farmers market this summer. I'm just worried that I might sell more than I have time to make, plus I will need to have a good bit of inventory. I'm going to try to use 'recycled' fabrics (old clothes, sheets, drapes, etc) for as much of my projects that I can to keep my materials costs down. I know it won't make as much money as a "real" job would but it's more than doing nothing and I can stay home with my LO!

Laci(26), femalesling.GIFmommy to Xander(11/10) and wife to Peter(32).
#18 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM

You can also sell used books to Barnes and Noble. They will offer you a certain amount of cash or a little more if you want store credit.  I sold some books there that i got free from the side of the road and made 28 dollars :)

Juvysen likes this.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#19 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm definitely interested in this selling books thing. We have boxes and boxes that annoy the daylights out of me!! For half.com... how does the shipping work? Seems like it would be expensive. DO you just walk in with your books to Barnes and Noble?

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#20 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Does anyone who sells books online worry about the safety of having your address going to whoever you are shipping to? 

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#21 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM

That is a good point...

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#22 of 25 Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post

Does anyone who sells books online worry about the safety of having your address going to whoever you are shipping to? 

No. I've sold books @ half.com for years. It did feel weird at first though. I don't know exactly what would be unsafe about it? I can't imagine anyone doing anything with just an address. I mean it's not like they have any info on you other than your name and address--if you even write your name on the package. Or I suppose anything on you that could be dug up on google. And you've got their address too, so I guess that would go both ways? I use a different user name selling books than I do anywhere else, and the only thing that shows when a person buys the book is the shipper's user name and state, so if someone was specifically looking for ME, it'd be pretty difficult to find me this way. And if someone just wanted a random person's name and address, they could get it off whitepages.com or something, without having to pay $$ for a book. Is there something I'm not thinking of though? I'm curious now...lol.

#23 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

I'm definitely interested in this selling books thing. We have boxes and boxes that annoy the daylights out of me!! For half.com... how does the shipping work? Seems like it would be expensive. DO you just walk in with your books to Barnes and Noble?

Half.com charges every buyer a flat shipping amount, I think it's $3.50 or so. Once the sale is made, you'll get an email, then proceed to weight the book, print shipping label thru Paypal, and stick the book in outgoing mail. Half.com makes deposits to your bank account twice a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post

Doesn't bother me in the least. I can't imagine someone that receives my book doing anything other than throwing away the packaging. Why would they save my address? Drive a couple of thousands of miles to harass me for some reason? Never crossed my mind that this would or could be an issue.

#24 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM

I was wondering about the online surveys. Do they really work? My husband thinks they don't but I thought it would be an easy was to make extra cash.
#25 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM

We do a lot of the things already mentioned. My husband also tutors. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page