Spending too much money on DH's pants! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - not sure if this is where I should be posted this, but here goes. My DH works in a fairly casual environment. He wears khakis/Dockers style pants with a button down shirt and hiking boots (no tie or jacket or anything like that). 

For some reason, the Dockers style pants wear out so quickly! They develop small holes in the crotch area, the seat, or the knees, and then he can no longer wear them to work. We have tried various brands - basically whatever we can find at Marshall's and Walmart, which are the only clothing stores close to us.

I am tired of having to buy new pants all the time! Any recommendations on a durable brand?! 

We are also going to try washing the pants less and having him change into jeans as soon as he gets home from work. That should help.

Thanks!

#2 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Have you tried Old Navy?  My DH gets most of his pants there - and he is pretty rough on his clothes - he has a loooong commute including a subway ride, bus ride and plenty of walking, and is heavyset.   We can usually get 2 -3 years out of them ...for the little money they cost i think thats a good amount of time. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM

LL Bean is somewhat more expensive than store brands, but their clothes are VERY well-made and durable, and they back up their products and will replace anything that wears out before its time. My husband goes through jeans like you wouldn't believe and he has had the same two pairs of LLs for almost two years now, no holes or thinning in the knees and crotch. Try getting him relaxed fit pants with more room in the seat and legs as well.

Alternately, if you can find some at Salvation Army then it wouldn't matter as much if they wore out. My local thrift shops sell those types of pants for less than $5.

#4 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Dickies tend to last my DH a long time.  He gets his at Sears.

Healthcare is a human right!
#5 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM

We also get llbean ones for dh. They seem to last very well.

Changing pants as soon as he gets home helps but Honestly jeans cost just as much and then the jeans will just wear out faster plus I have more laundry.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#6 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! We'll check out all those brands. We do have an Old Navy, Sears and LL Bean 1/2 an hour from us. Guess we'll just have to drive a bit further!

#7 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

I live in ranch country.  People here are rough on their clothes, and they often buy carhartt because it holds up.  DH does have one pair he uses occasionally, and the things will. not. die.  They are not, however, quite as dressy as some more traditional khakis.  

If he's really hard on them, the twill or the canvas may work if it's appropriate for his work environment. 

We have also had really good luck with LL Bean- again though, we tend to go towards canvas as twill gets destroyed quickly in our household. 

sniffmommy likes this.
#8 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Carhartt sells a line of work pants that my dh wears a lot.  They are not dressy, but a step above jeans and are appropriate for dh's work.  Might be worth a look.  

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=136611&langId=-1&categoryId=10933

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#9 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM

I don't know brand names (would have to check) but DH started buying more expensive pants ($60+) and while they are obviously more than a $20 pair of George dress pants at walmart, they hold up a whole lot better.  Not sure if it's different if they are more dressy vs. casual (my DH pretty much wears a tie daily), but it may apply for more casual khaki pants, too.  I think sometimes you get what you pay for.

Also, do you wash them separately - or with only his other work clothes?  I do a gentle wash cycle and avoid washing them with things like jeans that have heavier zippers, snaps/buttons and such.  Seems like they get less wear that way.  Hanging to dry will extend the life as well. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 PM

We have been around and around with this issue.  We have bought LLBean pants and liked them.  I have only seen poly blend Dickies around here.  We can't count on department-store pants to hold up to the physical wear and tear.  The last ones we got, though, we ordered online from a uniform company--I think it was Red Kap.  It is harder to find the 100% cotton, but we have been able to get cotton flat-front plain slacks and cargo pants that are very comfortable and simple.  They did a discount at five pairs.  I thought the prices were really good esp. for the quality because they are made for durability--I wasn't quite up for LLBean prices for the quantity we wanted at one time.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#11 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Eddie Bauer, Lands End and LL Bean all make good quality khakis.

#12 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#13 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM

We buy Dh's work pants at Goodwill.  I simply can't bring myself to spend big money on pants, and he can still get high quality pants for the same price as low quality generic pants when he gets them there.

Also, if you are getting holes in the crotch/seat along the seams, it's really simple to sew them up.  If hand sewing is too intimidating, I suggest investing in a basic sewing machine.  My DH gets holes in the crotch of his pants ALL the time (what is it with men and holes in the crotch?)  and it takes nothing to drop it under the needle on the machine and stitch it back up. 

And, a way cool tip that I heard on another website:  When you buy a new (or new to you) pair of pants, get those iron on patches for jeans and iron them on the inside of the knees.  It provides the additional strength so that they don't wear out as fast, but no one can see them. 

#14 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM

DH is *really* hard on his pants.  Land's End are the brand we have had the best luck with -- they last WAY longer than the ones we get at Target or Kohls.  The bonus to them is their guarantee -- if he were to wear through them really fast, we could have them replaced (we've never had to do this).  They do have sales a lot and free shipping for online, esp if you sign up for their emails.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#15 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM

We have the same problem, compounded by the fact that dh takes a 36 inseam, but is not heavy.  Most places just don't sell that size.  His get holes near the front pockets because he carries his keys there and has a bunch on the keychain for work.

The Lands End pants do last us somewhat longer in terms of not getting holes, but they fade at about the same rate as the cheaper pants.  So, they end up looking pretty ratty after a few months.  I wash in cold water and am pretty careful.  I refuse to buy any pants that require ironing. 

#16 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I think you need to buy better quality pants. Look for sales. DH got a pair of black slacks at Banana Republic this weekend for $20, down from $89. Can't beat that. 

#17 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Old Navy has pretty poor quality everything - except some of the guys khakis.  You can feel which ones are heavier and they last longer.  My husband has worn out so many expensive khakis from JCrew, LL Bean, Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Polo, etc - but the Old Navy ones seem to hold up longer.  You can often catch them on sale so when you do, stock up.  Just try on every single pair - even if they area ll the same cut and color - Old Navy is terrible about inconsistent sizes.

#18 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM

I see the dockers at our local resale shops for $5 or less .I would hit all those type stores. I am always so excited when I am able to get brand names jeans for $2 or less!

#19 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM

I'm watching this thread, too.  We used to get pants at the Vanity Fair/Wrangler outlet for 10 bucks.  And they were great pants--wore like steel, and they'd last 3 or 4 years of 1-2 times a week rotation.  They stopped making the line, though.  Wah!

We bought some Land's End pants in January that already have a hole near the pocket.  Grrrrr.

I love secondhand/thrift, but I have a really hard time finding pants for my dh that aren't already worn out.  He is big and tall, though, so I think that's a function of his size. 

#20 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Another vote for Lands End, especially if you can get them as overstocks or on sale.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#21 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post

I'm watching this thread, too.  We used to get pants at the Vanity Fair/Wrangler outlet for 10 bucks.  And they were great pants--wore like steel, and they'd last 3 or 4 years of 1-2 times a week rotation.  They stopped making the line, though.  Wah!

We bought some Land's End pants in January that already have a hole near the pocket.  Grrrrr.

I love secondhand/thrift, but I have a really hard time finding pants for my dh that aren't already worn out.  He is big and tall, though, so I think that's a function of his size. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post

Another vote for Lands End, especially if you can get them as overstocks or on sale.

BetsyS you can take those Land's End pants back to Sears and they will refund you your money. This is one reason I adore Land's End. I recently bought DH a bunch of twill pants for twenty bucks a pair...AND was able to have them hem them to DH's ridiculous-impossible-to-find size! Awesome.
#22 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

To the OP dont worry about driving to whatever store for the pants, most stores have online ordering and if you search the web you can find online discounts.  I do most of my shopping online and have things delivered to the door (free shipping most times)

Also how many pairs of pants does DH have?  If hes wearing the same 2-3 pairs over and over again it makes sense they will wear out.  (just like kids)  If he has 5-7-10 pairs they will obviously last longer.  So maybe he needs better pants and more of them?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#23 of 25 Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Costco also carries their own brand of jeans and pants as well as some namebrands and they always seem to be very reasonable ($12.76 I think it is for jeans and not much more for khakis).

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#24 of 25 Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 AM

Lands End overstocks has some very reasonably priced chino-type pants on sale now.

#25 of 25 Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Lands End...they have a lifetime guarantee...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page