Should I buy this or shouldn't I? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright... the background of the story is this: We are a single income family, I stay at home with DD, DS is due to arrive in June, we have a large amount in savings, no debt except for mortgage, are not extravagant spenders--could always spend less though :) We purchased this house very cheap, and have been doing all the upgrades needed to sell and make a small profit ($20k) in July... that being said we have been spending money on the renovations and home stuff (buying furniture and staple decorating pieces).

I am currently focusing on the play room that we have for DD and I have been searching everywhere for the perfect toy storage solution. I can't decide between these at Land of Nod ---- http://www.landofnod.com/toy-boxes/kids/storagepalooza/f4072

which will run me about $300.00  p.s. -- they have a cheaper version through Badger Basket... but have gotten mixed review on the quality-- they apparently don't have a plug to cover the screw/screw holes. These would cost about $220.00

or these ---http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29857351 which will cost about $115.00

Either way, I will probably have to buy an additional set for DS when he gets old enough to join his sister in the playroom so there will be an added cost in the future.

I of course :)... prefer the ones from Land of Nod/BB bc they are high quality, look like furniture, can be used in the bedrooms when they are older, and allow the toys to be easily accessed and SEEN to play with --- DD's current storage (big tubs) doesn't allow her to see her toys very well and she just gets frustrated and doesn't play with them very often. The Ikea ones are def. cheaper and I'm sure will last through the years.... but again offer the "tub" storage and are not as easy for her to put toys in and out. Also, they aren't as pretty :)

What would you ladies do???? I hate buying those rickety particle board furniture pieces they have everywhere now and really feel good about buying something that will last and look good! Am I just trying to talk myself into a more expensive purchase???

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM

If you guys are handy at all...I highly recommend checking out this: http://ana-white.com/ , and saving yourselves some money.

#3 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I love this website! I don't know if I could talk DH into one more project though :) It will be a miracle if we get everything done in time regarding the home remoldeling projects!  Anyone want to come help me :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#4 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM

I know...when I found that website I was happy I wanted to cry, lol! My dad has already built us a farmhouse table for christmas, and once we get into our own place, I plan on investing in some cheaper tools and building...everything, lol!

#5 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely going to be making DH build a lot of those pieces once we get done with this project!  What a great idea for a website.... ingenius!

#6 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM

I think the Ikea ones would grow with a child better. As kids get older their toys get smaller. The one you linked only has 4 large spots, that won't work so well for a older child's toys. With the ikea bins you can customize to any size you need.  

#7 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

That was the one thing I liked about the Ikea bins... they are completely custom. My solution for the Land of Nod toy storage was to add on the shelf piece with bins. I guess it is hard for me to imagine my DD pulling out the sliding bins and finding her toys, know what I mean??

#8 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would you consider a non basket solution? I really dislike storying toys in baskets. Pieces get lost and then everything gets dumped, the toys get banged up inside. We use Ikea Billy Bookcases with doors so everything can be hidden and the shelves keep toys in better shape, are easier to find, don't get dumped, and are easier to put away. Some people refer to this as as Montessori style. The shelves are relatively narrow so they don't fit everything but most does. We have a few small storage containers for the small pieces.

I would go crazy with buckets.

If you go with buckets, the Ikea are fine. Lots of people use them and they wear well.

#9 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM

if you really love the land of nod bins, then i think you should get those.  they're not terribly expensive for something you'll use long-term.  however, i really think the ikea bins are way more practical, and they're not particle board.  they're wood.

#10 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

This is all true! I guess I have to decide what is more important.... saving money or getting what I personally like. Ugh! I hate this! I hinted to the grandparents that for DD's bday instead of more toys ----please no!  That they all chip in and help buy the toy STORAGE this year :)

#11 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM

I can't say which one to choose (my choice would be "neither" because I'm too cheap for either of those options and would probably head to the thrift store lol, as nice as both options are!) But do you mean that you are moving in July when you sell the house or did I misread that? If so, I would hold off on buying any expensive storage solutions, because what if they don't work in your new space? What if you end up needing something just a little narrower or wider or whatever?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#12 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely thought of holding off until after we move, except for the fact that it will be a temporary 6 month move (we are in the army;) and we will just be moving to a new place after that! Generally I try to buy neutral furniture that can go anywhere and isn't too room specific... another argument for the Land of Nod---I could actually handle these being in my face in the living room, if our new house doesnt have a room that I can convert into a play room. I mean, of course I am being superficial about all of this. I should just go to the store and buy a couple more plastic bins and call it a day. Something about having everything set, "decorated", and looking nice makes me feel better and more settled. ---- I probably need a reality checkshy.gif

I really wish that my DH wasnt so busy with home projects and I would have him make them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I can't say which one to choose (my choice would be "neither" because I'm too cheap for either of those options and would probably head to the thrift store lol, as nice as both options are!) But do you mean that you are moving in July when you sell the house or did I misread that? If so, I would hold off on buying any expensive storage solutions, because what if they don't work in your new space? What if you end up needing something just a little narrower or wider or whatever?

#13 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Yeah in that case maybe the land of nod ones make more sense, since you could use them in any room... Or do you have any unfinished furniture stores near you? We have a great one near us & we could probably get something like that for around $80 -- just would need to stain or paint it yourself. Maybe there is something in between 'ugly plastic bins' and 'beautiful but expensive unit'... So maybe keep looking????

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to search the unfinished stores and see... bc I can paint them easy. I promised myself that I would keep scouring the internet and looking. I hate when I fall in love with something :( BUT, I will give myself the credit for usually being able to talk myself OUT of it :)

Generally, I find all our furniture used or on clearance and then refinish it. It seems like kids furniture/toy storage hasn't been so lucky :(

#15 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Generally, I find all our furniture used or on clearance and then refinish it. It seems like kids furniture/toy storage hasn't been so lucky :(

lol i think that's because kids are pretty hard on their furniture -- nothing is usable when they're through with it!!

#16 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM

IMHO kids will outgrow both those choices by the time they are 5 or so, maybe even earlier with the first one. How about something like this: http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=46&f=6161? You can get different kinds of bins and containers, which look nicer than the Ikea ones, and can be removed as they grow up as it can just gradually convert to a bookcase. The great thing about bins and baskets is that, if kept organized, it makes it easy to pick up and take to another room then return it to it's place when done. I think that the little cubbies in the first one look cute but are less practical in the longer run.
MaryElizabeth likes this.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#17 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Quote:

lol i think that's because kids are pretty hard on their furniture -- nothing is usable when they're through with it!!

Haha this is very true! I learned the lesson of ---buy quality kids furniture after my sister with 4 boys made the mistake of going cheap one too many times :) 

#18 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

I think you should buy the one you like best if you can afford it.

In saying that, I have 4 kids 6 and under and have finally arrived at what I consider the best toy storage system: grocery bags. I kid you not. I have a strip with 15 super sturdy hooks at kid-height and I bought some very nice, almost French-looking hessian sacks with black printing on them from our fruit shop and they hold trains, legos, blocks, and everything else with a million pieces. They don't dump as easily as bins so we have less mess as the kids actually have to think about what they want to play with. Bags are easy to access and hang back up, easy to carry from room to room, they don't get broken, they take up minimal space, and they don't look crappy even when you have 10 sets of toys stored in one spot.

We do have a Trofast for craft storage, and it is great for that. My only complaint is that the bins do get dumped easily. My kids also stack them and them stand on them, so a couple cracked and had to get replaced. That's worth considering if your child is a bit, er, "active". :D

#19 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I just so happen to not be able to sleep :)... what else is new?? Anywho... I jumped on Amazon to see if the "knock off" brand of the Land of Nod storage system was in stock.... and it was! AND 50% off!!!! They only had one color... but it was my second choice color! It won't be here for a few weeks, but at half price... who cares! I am excited and hope that they turn out ok!

#20 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM

I'm glad you found what you liked for an even better price.

I was just going to encourge you to not assume that the Land of Nod ones are better *quality*.  According to the information, they are medium density fiberboard!

If I wanted to save $ and go with baskets, I would go with Ikea's actual furniture, instead of their kid's line.  Like Billy, or something.

If I was willing to spend the $, I would go with the wood organizers that teachers  have.  Those things are STURDY and can be beautiful!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/search/results.jsp

#21 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have had terrible experiences with the Billy furniture system! I don't know why, but every piece that we have had, has fallen apart or at least broken.---- we do move a lot, so I"m always blaming this as to why I have to make all of our furniture look "shabby chic" to cover up all the dings and scratches!

#22 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I have had terrible experiences with the Billy furniture system! I don't know why, but every piece that we have had, has fallen apart or at least broken.---- we do move a lot, so I"m always blaming this as to why I have to make all of our furniture look "shabby chic" to cover up all the dings and scratches!

LOL, we don't actually have any Billy.

We have 4 Expedit bookshelves that have been in use for years (games, books, toys):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page